Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              613      
       615              1024       1025       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

vovkinson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.614 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

BA-photos,
excellent shots. like them all.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:15 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.614 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

watch makers

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:57 PM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.614 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks all for the comments! I agree, not a good idea to blow the highlights in camera.

Michael, excellent sunset scene with the ZM21, especially #2. Nice colors with the 90Elmarit and the birds.
Ron, very nice set with the 21Lux. BTW, are you considering the new CV21 /1.8? I'm really tempted by the wide aperture and possible subject separation, especially after looking at your 21Lux pics.
Edwin, take some pics soon. We need some sunny shots from where you are to keep us warm during the winter months.
Joakim, nice set with the 50Lux!
Gary, nice set with the 21SEM!
Ricardo, sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you have recovered from the flu and that 2013 will bring you lots of good assignments and a set of Leica gear. Best wishes!
Allen, nice set. I like the self portrait and abstractness on #1. The second shot with the space and lines is also very nice. The watchmaker shot is excellent!
BA-photos, nice sunny set at the beach.

BTW, its in stock in the USA. Who's going to buy the first one and test it out for the rest of us?
http://rangefinder.yodobashi.com/lens/voigtlaender/u21.html

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:43 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.614 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe - I think you should pick up that CV21and try it out for us! Actually, I would love to try it out but spent all my dough on the 21SEM....

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 03:22 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.614 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Speaking of 21SEM - here are a few more from the hike... Notice the color of their black pants in the last shot.... I didn't have a UV/IR filter in the proper size to use and this is the result.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:45 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.614 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, what a nice b&w set! Great job! The new year set is also very nice. Love the self portrait
Joe, lovely family you have, wish you all the best! Very nicely executed b&w sets.
Zhangyue, beautiful sunset photos! Also love the bokeh and colors with the 90.
Joakim, the second is very nice. Needs just a tad of contrast imho.
Gary, spectacular snow images.
BA, beautiful scenics! Love both images.
Allen, very nice portrait of the watchmakers!

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:34 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.614 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for all comments.

Allen, I like the portrait very much.
Joe, Nice BW process. with 21 biogon, I don't think I want that CV21, especially for its even bigger size than CV35?? but their 12&15 are very attractive to me
Gary, the place looks very beautiful! You guys certainly have fun there. I don't realize IR can have such strong effect. I wonder if it will also change the color spectrum of your images other than black?

Here are few more by 21 biogon at Beach.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:07 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.614 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward & Michael, thanks for the comments!

Gary, more excellent shots with the 21SEM. Looks really sharp and the rendering is beautiful. Have you considered moving to the M9 to get rid of the IR color cast?

Michael, lovely set. #3 and 4 are excellent, especially on #4 where her feet is off the ground with the sunset, perfect!

I'm sort of drawn to the CV 21 1.8 for low light and subject separation for a 21mm lens. I do admit, part of it is GAS. Maybe wait for Ron or Charles to test it out for us

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.614 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments...

Michael - yes, the IR contamination really does mess up certain colors but mostly black. It is something I struggle with on the M8 - even when using the filter.

Joe - I try not to rush any equipment decisions but I am realizing that an M9 really would benefit me in many ways. I also vote for either Ron or Charles to buy the CV21/1.8.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:21 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.614 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Good stuff Glen Joe and zhangyue..

Glen, I took a friends M9 down to the Fla Keys in Oct and fell in love. I was waiting on delivery of my MM and had received the 35 lux so my buddy said take my M9. I am really waiting to see what the new M looks like but you can bet that the price of the M9 will become very attractive once the M is released.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.614 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Allen.

All, I can't seem to focus my 28Cron af f/2 lately. All pictures appears soft or possibly front focused by 40 mm. 40mm seems excessive? M9 just came back from Leica NJ and is aligned. Seems to have the same results on the Mono but its even softer. Maybe the 28Cron needs to go back for adjustments? I recall Ron had some issues with his 50Lux ASPH earlier on, but cannot recall what what was the actual problem

@f/2 (the exif on the M9 shot is incorrect, should be f/2 not f/2.4)

@f/2.8

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:28 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.614 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Allen, cool set on the previous page and nice portrait above!
Michael, really like the second and fourth of the above set.
Gary, wow, what a beautiful setting! Even moving to the M9 won't entirely eliminate IR contamination seen in some textiles. I find I can somewhat neutralize it by pulling the purple hue tab towards blue and/or reducing purple and/or blue saturation, but of course, such changes also affect other subject content with similar colours.
Joe, love the 21mm urban set! Sorry to see you're having issues with the 28 Cron. Logic would seem that the lens is the issue if both bodies are equally out. But how does a lens suddenly go out of spec? You didn't drop or bang it against something, I assume?

Regarding the CV21/1.8: I'm curious about it too and have been toying with the idea of getting one, if only to compare against the Lux, SEM and ZM21/2.8. Realistically though, unless it's amazing, I probably wouldn't keep it and thus the question is why get it if only to lose a few hundred on the resale? But I guess, if it is amazing, I could always sell the Lux.

According to Cosina's specs, it appears to be nearly identical in size (assuming that's with the hood) to the Lux with the hood attached, but IMO, the CV's deeply scalloped hood might be quite annoying for me. Based on my experience with the 75/1.8, where the actual exposure difference between the f/1.8 and f/2 setting is nonexistent, I'm somewhat skeptical about the 21's f/1.8 rating, but I guess we'll see. Where I see the CV having advantages are: standard filter thread (do we know this for sure?) because if you want to shoot it WO in full sun, you will need a ND for it on the M8/9/MM, and it's a major pain to find Series VIII NDs for the Lux. The other is 50cm minimum focusing. 70cm with the Lux is the bare minimum of acceptable IMO if one wants to do near subject isolated focus-style images. At this distance portraits are quite loose (but I guess this also minimizes some facial distortion). It would seem to me the CV might also appeal to certain CSC users, though these systems are starting to fill in their fast 35mm equivalent voids. That's my 2 for now...

So who will buy the CV from me if I get one for the comparison?

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:43 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.614 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Just for fun, since the tripod was setup.
24MP RX1 Zeiss 35/2 vs 18Mp M9 35Lux ASPH FLE

Manual white balance at 4600k +2 tint in LR4. I left both cameras on aperture priority.
I forgot to remove the 0.6 ND B&W ND filter on my 35Lux ASPH so color rendition is probably not accurate on the M9. LR default sharpening 25pt, radius 1.0, detail 25, masking 0

f/2 (again ignore the wrong EXIF data on the M9. It was f/2)

approx 0.9x crop on the RX1 and scaled the M9 to match

approx 2x crop on RX1 (rotated) and scaled M9 to match

and a comparison for the M9 35Lux FLE at f/1.4

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:02 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.614 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Ron! I haven't dropped the lens but the front filter ring came loose and I screwed it back. It could also be possible that I might have knocked it against other items while in the bag. I'll check with Leica or DAG since its out of warranty.

I'm quite sure the CV21 1/8 won't be able to match the 21Lux on performance but I'm secretly hoping its close at f/2 or thereabouts A big cost difference between both lenses. Lets wait for Charles or someone else to try it out, or maybe you can't resist first?

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:19 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.614 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Thanks Ron! I haven't dropped the lens but the front filter ring came loose and I screwed it back. It could also be possible that I might have knocked it against other items while in the bag. I'll check with Leica or DAG since its out of warranty.

I'm quite sure the CV21 1/8 won't be able to match the 21Lux on performance but I'm secretly hoping its close at f/2 or thereabouts A big cost difference between both lenses. Lets wait for Charles or someone else to try it out, or maybe you can't resist first?

So you expect Ron get another 21mm AT f1.8 with his 21Lux

Joe, the comparison is very interesting. I have to say 35lux is really sharp lens. But for $5000?
I will wait till 2nd hand price drop to $3000
I have very good experience with DAG, reasonable charge with fast turn around (most cases.) Good luck with your 28mm.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.614 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Interesting comparison Joe. The RX1 image looks a bit back focused? Otherwise, I don't really see much of a difference. I guess, for the price of either, they're going to be pretty close and the differentiator is going to be other factors, such as bokeh quality, size, weight, ISO performance, etc...

BTW, I found a CV21/1.8 in stock and should have it Monday or Tuesday and am looking forward to running a comparison at some point next week.

The price at $1249 is lower than I expected. I thought it was going to be in the 1400-1500 Euro range? Basically it's the same price point as the ZM but a stop faster (and larger)...

zhangyue wrote:

Haha... well, I was on the fence, then found one in stock, so feeling some obligation to the group here, and considering I have three 21mm lenses already and was already kinda holding off selling the ZM so I could do a four-way round up... what the he!!, it's 'only' $1249 (plus taxes and shipping).

But later someone's gotta buy either my ZM or this CV...

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:44 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.614 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:

I sure hope so because Ron likes lenses like the rest of us and I value his opinion and they are always accurate and informative.

The comparison was for fun and possibly to validate to myself to keep my 35Lux?

I was hoping that the RX1 could reduce my appetite for the new M but I think it made me appreciate my M9 and also desire a new M Type 240 even more. If a 3 year old 18MP M9 with some good lenses can compare to the RX1 performance wise, I can't wait to see what the new M is capable off. Hopefully it is as good as Leica tells us. I think in 2013, shooting ISO2500 or 3200 is the new ISO400 compared to a few years back. After using the MM and RX1 comfortably at up to ISO6400, I somewhat feel restricted when I move back to the M9 with ISO1250/1600 in low light.

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 08:03 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:02 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.614 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Interesting comparison Joe. The RX1 image looks a bit back focused? Otherwise, I don't really see much of a difference. I guess, for the price of either, they're going to be pretty close and the differentiator is going to be other factors, such as bokeh quality, size, weight, ISO performance, etc...

BTW, I found a CV21/1.8 in stock and should have it Monday or Tuesday and am looking forward to running a comparison at some point next week.

The price at $1249 is lower than I expected. I thought it was going to be in the 1400-1500 Euro range? Basically it's
...Show more

Very curious what you think about the new VC lens, Ron!
Looked like a great fast alternative for a reasonable price to me when I superficially tryed it at the Photokina. Still did not buy a 21 mm M mount lens, because I am not sure which direction I'll go camera wise. Thinking ablout the 6D to use my C/Y Zeiss (and other) lenses on.

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:02 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.614 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron I knew you won't let us down!

I agree the RX1 is a little back-focused. Unfortunately I did not focus bracket as I was more interested in seeing how the resolution on the lines compare. Its actually not that easy to manual focus critically on the RX1. I read somewhere that even with magnified view, the aperture in live view is not at f/2 but f/4. Thus focus peaking picks up a larger area. I think the example I showed above is almost the worse case scenario in terms of enlargement and pixel peeping? You have to be careful with AF on the RX1. It consistently back-focuses quite often as the AF region is probably too large, even with the selectable focus zone. Others have similar issues. You can also read it up at http://www.ronmartblog.com/2012/12/review-sony-dsc-rx1-full-frame-compact.html

In my opinion RF manual focusing is still the most accurate for shorter FLs

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:15 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.614 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:

The price at $1249 is lower than I expected. I thought it was going to be in the 1400-1500 Euro range? Basically it's
...Show more

OhO! My bad! Ron you are fast. I wish I can make such a desicion as easy as you
I am looking forward to see your finding.

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:22 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password