denoir
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.241 #1 · p.241 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Jim, Joe, KL & Ryan & Ron

KL, excellent set - I especially like #1 & #2

Ryan, Ron, Charles - nice shots

joe88 wrote:
Nothing wrong with those 75Cron shots. All nice but did you have to bump contrast up to 110%? We all know that this lens is not that contrasty, right?

No, nothing wrong, but nothing special either. There is something interesting going on in #4, but mostly that has something to do with the light. As for contrast, not 110% - more like 800%

Without adjustment:

With massive contrast increases in LAB mode in L & a & b channel:

To be fair, I have yet to encounter a Leica lens that has high contrast close up. Lux 50 ASPH shots also need a contrast boost, albeit not quite as large as the 75 Cron. And I don't mind it too much - M9 DNGs look like crap 90% of the time if you don't adjust black levels/contrast. Having to add a little bit more when using the 75 Cron is hardly a problem. Of course you do sacrifice some image quality in terms of increased noise when you play too much with the contrast..

Tobin28 wrote:
Are people using 75 Cron for portraits? How is it for focusing on faces with the M9? Any feedback guys would help me.

You can find some samples here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920070/201#9493929

As for fousing, for portrait's it's OK although of course not quite as easy as a 50mm or wider. The focusing ring is good, but a bit to loose for my taste. If you can take the time to focus then you'll nail it most of the time. If you have to focus fast the probability of actually hitting focus is small. The 75 Cron has an incredibly small usable DOF at f/2. Being a highly corrected lens (especially for SA) the sharpness to blur transition is extremely rapid.

As the distance increases it becomes more difficult to nail focus.

Portraits is the only thing that I'd recommend the 75 Cron for without hesitation - it's really good for that where the neutrality of the rendering puts focus on the subject rather than how the lens draws it. For anything else I'd only recommend it if you want a lens that produces images with very high IQ without adding or removing anything to the image. If you want a lens that has a special drawing style, the 75 Cron is not it.

---

Anyway, I've been shooting quite a lot the past two days (finally real spring weather!) but I have not had the time to process the images. Here's a swan shot though:

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.241 #2 · p.241 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Great light in those shots! The last one reminds me of Ireland

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.241 #3 · p.241 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Ulrik The light was changing continuously with the sporadic rain showers.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.241 #4 · p.241 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Excellent shots Charles! Really superb light and colors. My favorite is #3

Apr 16, 2011 at 01:56 PM
Malkovic
• •
p.241 #5 · p.241 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

charles.K: Thanks! Great set of pictures you posted, feels SO real! #4 of your last set is amazing!

rsolti13: Lovely set!

denoir: I agree, sometimes the Velvia gives stunning results. I've yet to try underexposing, will do I like the fence picture, stunning tones. Also love that swan shot and the last one you posted!

singletrack: #3 is my fav!

M2 +Cron 50 + Velvia 50.

Some minor cropping. Also added some saturation on the latter.

Apr 16, 2011 at 02:17 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.241 #6 · p.241 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles, excellent shots! The beautiful portrait, was it with flash or just available light? Great PP, beautiful model. The last set on the beach is just plain beautiful. #3 is my favorite....that is the 28 Cron? Great rendering

Luka, great shots. The bokeh of the 50 Lux is probably the best I have ever seen. I too have been finding myself significantly boosting the blacks/contrast.

Malkovic, great shots. Love the colors from film. I just don't have the patience

Apr 16, 2011 at 02:24 PM
singletrack
• •
p.241 #7 · p.241 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles, love the last set! Pure Magic!
Luka, wow - love them all - your compositional powers are amazing!
Malkovic- the colours are awesome - feeling the need to try a film camera soon!

Some random shots for the weekend (all with the 50 lux ASPH):
Cheers
kl

"A", auto detailer extraordinaire:::Groomworks

Rise & Shine:::Marina Bay

Cheerful little boy::ld town

Edited on Apr 16, 2011 at 04:22 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2011 at 02:40 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.241 #8 · p.241 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

like that last shot KL....

90 elmarit-m

35 Lux

Apr 16, 2011 at 03:30 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.241 #9 · p.241 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

This thread moves fast with all the great images!

Apr 16, 2011 at 06:24 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.241 #10 · p.241 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

^^Ron I've been to Bonaventure cemetery out in GA. Lovely place for photops.

Apr 16, 2011 at 06:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

shaunmlavery
• • •
p.241 #11 · p.241 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Don't cha just hate it when your internet connection resorts back to 56K speeds. This thread temps me with text and voids of grey.

Here is my M8 paired with my Noct...First time I have ever put it on a digital M. This combo will be interesting.

The last one definitely screams Noctilux! It's weird how its personality comes and goes. FWIW, that was shot maybe 4-5 ft away? Definitely going to experiment some more with that one. Oh yeah, these were all shot wide open. Not to bad. My 85L has proven to give me some skill. That manual focus ring is horrible on that lens. Ugh!

Apr 16, 2011 at 06:26 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.241 #12 · p.241 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

JulianDeLaRosa wrote:
^^Ron I've been to Bonaventure cemetery out in GA. Lovely place for photops.

Its Ryan...not Ron. Yes, Bonaventure is an excellent cemetery for photos.....I wish they were open at night

Apr 16, 2011 at 06:59 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.241 #13 · p.241 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Its Ryan...not Ron. Yes, Bonaventure is an excellent cemetery for photos.....I wish they were open at night

Oops! That's what I meant. I'm in North Carolina and if we ever decide on a trip back to Savannah, I'll shoot you a pm and we could go shooting.

Apr 16, 2011 at 07:02 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.241 #14 · p.241 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Here's my first successful attempt with the M9. Luka was right about the learning curve but, I'm pushing myself to learn. Thanks!

This was shot with the Zeiss 35 ZM.

Apr 16, 2011 at 07:07 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.241 #15 · p.241 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Perhaps Julian got my name from the comment I made about enjoying cemetery photography back a page or two... you know, Ron, Ryan, whatever. Most people call me Rob. I think Ryan is about the third most common name I get. I've also been called Paul and Greg.

Very nice light in that series Charles! Really like the last one, but all are very good.
Luka, also very nice. I like the framing in #1 and #2 reminds me of similar grasses I photographed a couple days ago, though my images didn't work out as nicely as yours.
Malkovic: Lovely. I too liked Velvia a lot and wish it had been available at 100 ISO when I was shooting film. But like Ryan, I can't see myself going back to it. Compared to digital, my analog work is way too disorganized and I'd never keep on top of it. Heck, I still have hundreds of rolls of B&W images I have yet to print/scan and the last time I shot film was in 2002.... But there is definitely a resurgence. Same with old typewriters... it's great that someone wants to keep the technology going. It just won't be me. At least not at the moment.
KL: #1 & 3 speak to me. Interesting the boy, yet the mother looks to be wondering what you're up to. How is it in Singapore with strangers photographing children? Unfortunately over here it has become a very sensitive matter as you probably know. Everyone assumes if you have a camera you're a perv or something. Unfortunately.
Ryan, very nice feel to all of those.
Shaun, yes, the change in character is interesting. I wouldn't have guessed the first one was wide open. The DoF looks deep. But #2 is definitely interesting. The Nocti will be great for keeping the M8's ISO down

Waiting for the bus at the last M2 metro stop in Lausanne. BTW, the M2 metro line is wild. It makes severe elevation changes with a maximum 12% grade. Definitely recommended for at least heading up into town, then walking back down.

M9 & ZM35C

Edit: Looks good Julian. What software are you using? I also found it to be a bit of a learning curve, though the lower ISO M9 files are very pliable. I'm frequently cranking up the contrast and curves, etc. and now, at least with Lightroom, I find I have an easier time with the M9 files than those from my Canons (1DIII and IV). Not to say the Canon files are bad. They each have their own characteristics and I'm leaning more towards the M9. Where I take issue with the M9 & LR3 is sometimes with excessive saturation (also a consequence of increasing contrast), particularly in yellow and green (which contains a lot of yellow). And I see the effects of IR contamination fairly frequently with dark clothing shifting purplish.

Apr 16, 2011 at 07:33 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.241 #16 · p.241 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

^^Hehe! Thanks Ron. Honeslty I didn't do much to these files. The color version was edited in LR3. I do notice that pushing the colors is different from Canon files bcoz' I still use the 1Ds III. As for the b&w, I did most of the the editing in Nik Silver Efex Pro. Using a a different color filter, I was able to get enough contrast and blacks without over doing it.

^^Nice urban shot there Ron.

Apr 16, 2011 at 07:50 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.241 #17 · p.241 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Malkovic, Ryan, KL & Ron

Malkovic, nice colors - especially in the first shot.

KL, nice set - #2 is my favorite.

Ryan interesting shots with the 90 Elmarit. The OOF rendering looks very good!

Shaun, I like the second shot with the Nocti/1.. although I'm not crazy about the bokeh in the upper right corner.

Julian, nice shot with very nice colors

Ron, nice capture - as usual I like the way you use lines in your compositions

---

Here are a couple of shots from a place called "The Lunatics' Palace" in Stockholm. It used to be a mental institution but now houses the teaching education faculty of the Stockholm University.

Apr 16, 2011 at 08:09 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.241 #18 · p.241 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

^^Thanks Luka. I like this series you just posted.

Apr 16, 2011 at 08:44 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.241 #19 · p.241 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Julian & Luka.

Luka, these are really nice. The birds in #2 made me laugh, the slope along with the angle of the sun is perfect in #4 and great find with the disconnected stairs in #5, which is my favourite of the series.

I've noticed the 50 Lux appears to be very well corrected for distortion. Not the usual barrel distortion I have experienced with most 50s I've used, including the ZM 50 Planar.

Apr 16, 2011 at 09:09 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.241 #20 · p.241 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Julian & Ron

A funny thing happened today when I was out for a walk, shooting. Usually when I see a duck or swan or similar there's an old lady or a kid 100 meters away that starts to feed them and my quarry disappears. Today I thought I'd prevent that so I brought along a couple of slices of bread myself to pay my models. At one point I saw two funky looking ducks with a sort of punker hairstyle and tried to get their attention by throwing pieces of bread in the water. They ignored me, but two other, regular ducks appeared from nowhere. Then a swan landed. Then another. Then from apparently nowhere more and more swans gathered. This is what it looked like after a few minutes:

A couple of minutes before this shot there wasn't a single swan in sight! I have no idea how they materialized so quickly.

Once I ran out of bread to feed them with, they lost interest and the whole armada just left:

I discovered also that ducks and seagulls are apparently terrified of swans. Once the latter turned up the rest of the birds gave them generally a wide berth.

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM
1       2       3              240      
       242              1380       1381       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              240      
       242              1380       1381       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password