Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              230      
       232              1041       1042       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.231 #1 · p.231 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
There is some supposed rumor of a M9-P, with a sapphire screen, with the same sensor, and a new 50/2 which is meant to be set the standards in sharpness and resolution. I imagine it won't be cheap, and really no different than the M9. See is if this eventuates!

That sounds just like a re-badged Leica Neiman Marcus edition? Would be interesting to see how they can improve on the 50Cron without going to the ASPH path. I'm wondering if Peter Karbe has some Harry Potter potion somewhere in Solms.

Sorry to hear about your 75Cron. Hope the turn-around is fast. Did they tell you approximately how long it will take?

Mar 26, 2011 at 02:04 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.231 #2 · p.231 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
That sounds just like a re-badged Leica Neiman Marcus edition? Would be interesting to see how they can improve on the 50Cron without going to the ASPH path. I'm wondering if Peter Karbe has some Harry Potter potion somewhere in Solms.

Sorry to hear about your 75Cron. Hope the turn-around is fast. Did they tell you approximately how long it will take?

Yes, I would imagine a re badged Leica special edition, but hey if it is good for sales, we all benefit Peter Karbe's magic may definitely be inputted the supposed 50 Cron! I do wonder why the 50/2?

Thanks Joe, the 75 Cron is off to Solms, to have a new bayonet mount machined, under the strict guidance of Wayne from Camera Clinic. Probably 6 to 8 weeks, as it could not be fixed locally. At first I thought I was crazy doubling up on some FL's, but I am really pleased that I have, as I don't stress anymore.

joe88 wrote:
Ryan, even on your M8, the 35Lux has really nice rendering and bokeh, but I think the lens is begging you for a full frame sensor.

+1

Mar 26, 2011 at 02:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.231 #3 · p.231 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow, again, so many great images.

ZM35C:

ZM21:

(loving LR contrast and clarity here... )

ZM50 Planar:

M9-P? Just give me banding free high ISO and 2-3X faster buffer clear time or capacity.

Another issue for me using the M9 to shoot events is that I often set up radio triggered strobes and use an on-camera flash for fill. I can't do that with the M9. There isn't a separate PC socket to trigger the radio. Maybe there's an aftermarket pass-through hot shoe adapter with PC socket..?

Ryan, it's a tough choice - M8 or M9? On the DSLR side I've been an APS-H shooter since 2001 and have never owned a FF DSLR. I didn't ever believe I was missing anything. And while the FF M9 is nice, I don't feel I need to use it over the 1DIV just because it's FF. If you're content with the M8, stick with it since all the M9 really gives you is FF coverage and no more need for the on-lens IR filter. It's still slow and finicky. High ISO is still not in the same league as a D700, etc. Put the money into good glass and if the M9-P arrives, or eventually the M10, you can save some money on a used M9. The glass won't depreciate but the camera, especially if purchased new, will, a lot. If you're using it professionally then it's not as significant a factor. For me, because the whole M system was an uncertainty as to whether I would want to use it professionally, I waited until I found a used M9 at an acceptable price (low $5K). In a year or so, once the M10 arrives, the M9 should be down to $4K or less. The difference in price is essentially a new 50 Lux. I'd rather have the Lux than the M9 over an M8 (but then I also haven't used an M8 and there might be other factors to consider that I've overlooked).

Joe: Street with a DSLR. I guess it depends on the camera, but in some ways I find I can more easily shoot street with the IDIV than the M9. My tactic with the IV is often to set it to 'silent' advance and also live view. Setting it to live view eliminates the mirror noise. I often shoot it without looking through the camera, but not from the hip. Because there is a second shutter release for vertical photos, I'll cradle the camera from below while hanging from the strap around my neck and will use that shutter release to trigger. By not looking through the camera it seems to those around me that I'm just carrying it from below. I often do this in very close quarters with the 16-35 or the 17 TS-E. If I try to do this with the M9 & 21, too often the camera's loud shutter noise is extremely (painfully) obvious.

Edited on Mar 26, 2011 at 04:39 AM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2011 at 04:07 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.231 #4 · p.231 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow great stuff all! So much these past few days. Excellent all! Phil

Edited on Mar 26, 2011 at 01:44 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2011 at 04:16 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.231 #5 · p.231 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, wow... great shots! I really like the shots with ZM 50 Planar. Very nice perspective and PP. It great to have your perspective, from a pro, as I know I get caught up chasing the "holy grail" FF, but in truth, and APS technology is advancing so quickly, sometimes it is very hard to pick the difference depending on your target medium.

Phil, excellent portraits! #1 is a bit high key for me and #2 is rendered beautifully.

Mar 26, 2011 at 09:40 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.231 #6 · p.231 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, excellent series - I really like the texture, the colors and the simple and elegant compositions.

Phil, great portraits! Which lens?

charles.K wrote:
Just in the last week, I sent my 75 Cron AA and 90 Cron V3, for servicing, and calibration check again of the 75 Cron AA as it had drifted again. Spoke to Wayne from Camera Clinic and found the problem, was the bayonet mount made of brass, where the holding screws were pulling marginally through when the lens was mounted, and affecting the calibration... so off to Solms for a new bayonet mount, hopefully under warranty.

Charles, I've only seen a handful of shots from you with the 75 Cron. How come?

carstenw wrote:
Luka, gorgeous shots with the 50 Lux ASPH! Even nicer than with the also great 35 Lux ASPH. That first duck shot is just epic! So, is there a 90 AA in your future, and maybe a 28 Cron, or 24 Lux or 24 Elmarit?

Seeing all these great 35 and 50 Lux ASPH shots in the last couple of pages makes me miss going out with my M8. Maybe I'll even have to see if I can find an M9... there are a couple of issues with the M9 which bother me, but maybe waiting for the M10 is
...Show more

Thanks Carsten! Well, I'm pretty happy with what I've got now. There is perhaps one unresolved problem and that's 90mm. I really like the drawing of my 90 Cron V3 but its optical performance is not stellar (loads of CA). So the 90 AA may be future choice - I would want to be sure though that the drawing style is as nice as the old one. There's no rush though.

My advice for you is that if you intend going back to using the M system, get an M9. You already have all the nice glass and it would be a waste to use it on a cropper. A lot of the personality of a lens comes through at the edges of the frame.

rsolti13 wrote:
Joe...thats an idea. All I need is a D700 and 70-200....would be worth it to just rent for the weekend. I really want that M9!

Sounds like a plan! Looking at your list of gear, it looks quite doable. Roughly speaking you could probably get something like $2000 for your D700 and an additional $1500-2000 for your lenses. The M8 you can sell for something like $2,000 as well. That's around $6,000, which will get you the M9. You can then sell your 50 Lux pre-ASPH (say $1500) and your 18 Distagon (say $1000) . You only then need to put in $1,500 for the 50 Lux ASPH (if you can find one!).

That will leave you with an M9, the 35 Lux ASPH, the 50 Lux ASPH and the 90 Elmarit-M which is quite a respectable kit, only lacking a bit on the wide end.

Anyway, that's what I'd probably do.

rscheffler wrote:
Ryan, it's a tough choice - M8 or M9? On the DSLR side I've been an APS-H shooter since 2001 and have never owned a FF DSLR. I didn't ever believe I was missing anything. And while the FF M9 is nice, I don't feel I need to use it over the 1DIV just because it's FF. If you're content with the M8, stick with it since all the M9 really gives you is FF coverage and no more need for the on-lens IR filter. It's still slow and finicky. High ISO is still not in the same league as
...Show more

Ron, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have own both crop and FF DSLR cameras and you miss a lot on a cropper. To give you an example - I have both the Canon 5DII and the Canon 7D. The 7D (1.6x crop) is by far the superior camera. The AF is much better it has much higher FPS, a better display, a better user interface and so on. How much have I been using it compared to the 5DII? In the last six months, according to my lightroom database, I have shot about 8,000 shots with the 5DII and 200 shots with the 7D.

The reason for that is simple. My favorite glass, the Zeiss ZE lenses aren't half of what they should be on a crop camera. They lose most of their charm when you lose the edges and get a different apparent DOF.

The DOF part should not be underestimated.

Suppose you shoot something at 2 meter distance with the 50 Summilux ASPH, wide open. On the M9 you get a DOF of approximately 8.4 cm. If you do the same framing on an M8, you have to stand 1.33x2 meters away = 2.66 meter from the subject. That gives a DOF of 15 cm. On the M9 that's the equivalent of stopping down to f/2.5. This is the difference in DOF:

On the M8 you can't get that first look with that framing. Wide open it will look more like the shot on the right.

So the question is, do you really want to pay $4,000+ for the equivalent of a 67mm Summarit lens? So with the M8 for the same framing as with the M9 you'll get less DOF, none of the good stuff at the edges and none of the benefits of the improvement in image quality when the lens is stopped down.

I can understand crop cameras as a necessary evil in compacts such as the X1, but to have some of the best lenses ever made and then waste them on a crop camera seems like a massive waste to me. I'd sooner give up all my Leica lenses and stick to more affordable Voigtländer lenses than use the M8 with top Leica glass. In fact, if the M9 had not been full frame, I would have not given it a second look.

As for waiting for an X10.. I'd be surprised if we see it before 2013. Leica has trouble keeping up with the demand for the M9 so it would be stupid of them to end that particular line prematurely. They first have to see sales drop off before it makes business sense to offer an upgrade model. Right now they are selling way more than they can produce both when it comes to cameras and lenses.

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.231 #7 · p.231 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

denoir wrote:
I'd sooner give up all my Leica lenses and stick to more affordable Voigtländer lenses than use the M8 with top Leica glass. In fact, if the M9 had not been full frame, I would have not given it a second look.

Off course the M9 has the bigger sensor and so a smaller DOF when used in the same conditions. But this doesn't mean the M8 isn't worth leica glass. I think a lot of leica glass really shine with the M8. The 28 summicron makes a perfect match with the M8.

I think the difference between a crop DSLR and a full frame DSLR is bigger than a M8 and M9. Its 1,6 vs 1,33 crop, the crop DSLR has a far smaller finder while the M9 has the same size finder as the M8, only other framelines. There both build the same, not like a pro build full frame against a consumer crop.
With the DSLR your constantly notified that your using a smaller size sensor. With the M8 you only notice when U take a 28mm instead of a 35mm lens.
In the final pictures you won't notice I think. Or you should with an M9 next to it and take the same pictures all the time so you can see the difference. You use what you have.
At least I never think "with the m9 this shot would be more special" when using the M8.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.231 #8 · p.231 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I think it very much depends on what you are shooting. For instance for Joe who shoots stopped down street photography (f/5.6-f/8), the M8 would work as well as the M9 (with the exception of 18 megapixel vs 10 megapixel). Ryan, like myself on the other hand shoots a lot wide open and to really get the full benefit of the Lux lenses you need to go FF. For instance a 0.95 Noctilux would make no sense whatsoever on an M8 - it would truly be a waste of money. When you pay a premium price for a very fast lens it makes sense to have a camera that can take full advantage of it in terms of DOF for a given framing.

And I never think "with a medium format camera this shot would be more special" when using the M9, but that doesn't mean that it would not have been more special.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.231 #9 · p.231 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

denoir wrote:
Charles, I've only seen a handful of shots from you with the 75 Cron. How come?

Hmmm...yes, some shots with 75 Cron, as my preference has been the 75 Lux I intended to use this for portraits, but the calibration has never been quite right with this lens. Maybe once it is fully calibrated, I will move it on!

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM
KyleR.
• • •
p.231 #10 · p.231 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi guys,
I would like to add my opinion on whether you should get an M8 or an M9.
I personally have an M8 and an M6 but have never tried an M9.
I must say, the crop factor REALLY annoys me. I find myself reaching for my M6 more often just because
I enjoy a true 50mm lens more than a 75. I think it's personal though.
As you can see, the crop factor really annoys Denoir and I, but rscheffler doesn't mind it.
I also can't afford anything close to an M9 so for now I'll be using my M8 and M6 until they release another camera and the M9 gets cheap on the used market.

Good Luck,
Kyle

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • •
p.231 #11 · p.231 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Shots from this afternoon, at Canon Valley in Springbrook. Shots with both the 35 Lux II and 75 Lux

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.231 #12 · p.231 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, nice set, like how you try to include people in the scenes (I guess you all know me ) curious on the last shot, was that a friend or a stranger, because you pulled it off with the M9 and the "noisy" shutter. Is this Bern or Lausanne?

You have a really sophisticated technique for street shooting with the Canon, too many steps involved for me, but I guess it works for you. I just prefer the size and simplicity of our plain jane Leica Ms.

Charles, its really painful 7-8 weeks, but I guess you have the 75Lux to use. I find it amusing that both yours and Luka's 75Cron have so much problems.

Back to M8 and M9, I'll go for the M9 anytime having owned BOTH. Even with street shooting, I prefer the M9 over my previous M8.
Sensor size: Its actually better in the sense that I can slightly crop and not worry about IQ for large prints (although almost all the time I don't crop)
Crop sensor: to get the same effective field of view on the M8, I have to buy a more expensive and heavier Leica glass (eg a 28Cron instead of a 35Cron), and then when I want to shoot an effective 28mm, I need to get either a 24 Elmarit or a 25 ZM or the exceedingly hard to find 24Lux. Worse is that I still shoot film and switching between a M8 and a film M is really a nuisance. Exactly what Kyle said. Can't remember how many times I wasted Portra with a UV/IR filter on the lens.
Depth of field - I'm not going into details but the full frame gives a wider view, capturing more of the scene and that sort of negates the DOF for me.
Leica glass: Totally agree with Luka, why waste over 30% of the Leica glass when you can shoot full frame and get the full benefit of Dr Mandler or Peter Karbe's design?

A few other reasons and this is from using both the M8 and M9. The M8 is a great camera but don't forget this was Leica's prototype digital. Not to disrespect anyone, I find those that complain the most about the M9 are those that don't use it. There will be some who have gone to the M9 and reverted back to the M8, but for probably one of these persons, there will be at least 100 who have moved up from the M8 to the M9 and stayed there.

Peace!

Joe

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:56 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.231 #13 · p.231 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Charles, I toned the high key shot a bit down, yes it seems more pleasant now

Thanks Denoir, used my 50 Noct 1.0 for these

Nice landscapes Charles, really liking the sky and cityscape and the tourist bed and breakfast building of the last 2

Nice stuff Ron, are you using your wife as a model in these? Or are those candid?

Phil

Mar 26, 2011 at 01:49 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.231 #14 · p.231 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Phil, nice street shots with the Noct.

Charles, nice shots from the Valley.

Mar 26, 2011 at 04:55 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.231 #15 · p.231 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow, the images posted here are really impressive. Luka, LL, Joe, Ron, Charles, Ryan, Phil (I hope I didn't leave anybody out, if I did then my apology, I didn't mean it), you guys know how to highlight the strength of the Leica M system. Keep it up !

Mar 26, 2011 at 04:58 PM
shaunmlavery
• • •
p.231 #16 · p.231 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

KyleR. wrote:
Hi guys,
I would like to add my opinion on whether you should get an M8 or an M9.
I personally have an M8 and an M6 but have never tried an M9.
I must say, the crop factor REALLY annoys me. I find myself reaching for my M6 more often just because
I enjoy a true 50mm lens more than a 75. I think it's personal though.
As you can see, the crop factor really annoys Denoir and I, but rscheffler doesn't mind it.
I also can't afford anything close to an M9 so for now I'll be using my M8 and M6 until they
...Show more

I'm not sure what triggered this disscussion, as I was just stopping by to admire some of you guys shots.

Like Kyle, I have had an M8.2 while having my M6 and it just never clicked with me. At times, I love the instant results but for some reason I always grabbed my M6.

I have been down the M8.2 road twice to see if I was just confused the first go around. The second time around, I gave it more time but it still felt weird. Like Kyle and Denoir, I think it simply is the crop. When you are so used to look, the feel and the framing of a "full-frame" camera, wether it be analog/digital, it is weird to give it up.

Now, for me, it is easier to shoot a 1D/xxD camera and not think about it as much because you look through the lens. I know that is mind over matter. When I look through my Leica, esp. the M8, it was just a constant reminder my 35/50/etc. was jacked up.

In the end, it is the results that matter. My costco just stopped processing film! Major bummer! Now I have to figure out if I want to get rid of the noctilux and get and M9 or just be content and find someone to develop my C-41. Before you ask, I already develop my own B&W and I have no room for containers of developer, stop, etc.

By the way...Excellent shots guys!

I just went back to see what started some of this. Ryan? Are you wanting to get rid of that M8.2 already? Haha! If so, you need to stay away from here. The M9 bug will get you pretty bad. Why do you think I sold the M8 and shoot film? Haha. Good luck making that decision.

Mar 26, 2011 at 07:08 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.231 #17 · p.231 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Canon valley with a Leica, Charles? Nice series, I really like #5

Thanks Joshua

A few more 50 Lux ASPH shots:

Mar 26, 2011 at 08:08 PM
joakim
• • •
p.231 #18 · p.231 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I haven't posted much lately because I've been busy with other things lately but one task is now completed, deciding on and buying a car.

One more thing german albeit a tad more expensive than a M9.

Mar 26, 2011 at 08:10 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.231 #19 · p.231 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron - awesome series! Probably my favorite series you have posted. Every shot is excellent
Charles - great set as well. Great colors
Phil - great shots. Really like #1!
luka - nice work with the 50! The rendering on #1 is unreal
Joakim - congrats on a sweet car! Nice pics

And all of you, thanks. I just figured out an easy way to get an M9 and Zeiss 25 to replace my 18 without spending anything out of pocket! Look out for the FS listing in the next day or so which will include all my Nikon plus M8 and Zeiss 18. I will get a cheap cropper for Nikon instead of the Leica . I expect you guys to bump the hell out of that listing once it's posted

Mar 26, 2011 at 08:23 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.231 #20 · p.231 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
I haven't posted much lately because I've been busy with other things lately but one task is now completed, deciding on and buying a car.

One more thing german albeit a tad more expensive than a M9.

Congrats on your new Audi!

while we're on the topic of cars
m8 + 2.8/21

Mar 26, 2011 at 08:36 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password