FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1422      
       1424              1525       1526       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

OleAndre
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1423 #1 · p.1423 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Testing out Zeiss C Biogon 21/4.5 on the M246. I was a bit sceptical about this lens, since there is so limited information about how it would perform on a full frame camera. I have seen several reports saying that it was good on the M Monochrom, but what one person regard as "good" is highly dependant on how that person use the lens.

My first impression is that its a highly usable lens, and considering its size and second hand price, I am quite impressed by the image quality. It has very strong central and midfield resolution, but tend to loose contrast and resolution towards the edges. Vignetting is a big issue, and the custom profile provided by Lightroom is definitely not sufficient. But making your own to handle the vignetting is still fairly simple, but you are still left with the loss of contrast in the most affected areas. The lens has excellent coatings, and there is very little flaring (even without the lens hood). Distortion is not visible at all, meaning that the lens works very well for architectural shots. I will have to test the lens more before concluding, but I have to say that I have been positively surprised today.

Zeiss C Biogon 21/4.5 - The Bridge by Ole Kjennerud

Zeiss C Biogon 21/4.5 - Barcode by Ole Kjennerud

All the best,
Ole

Mar 19, 2017 at 08:58 PM
Werner_Utsch
• • • •
p.1423 #2 · p.1423 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

" Les Arènes d'Arles IV "

Arenes Des Arles IV by Werner Utsch, on Flickr

Monochrome, Elmarit M 28/2.8, Orange Filter

Edited on Mar 21, 2017 at 08:17 AM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:51 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1423 #3 · p.1423 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:36 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1423 #4 · p.1423 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ZM35 Distagon

Mar 20, 2017 at 03:07 AM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1423 #5 · p.1423 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ole those are stellar! I always wanted to try one of those lenses out myself. I'm using the Super Angolon 21mm f/3.4 myself but I'd love to try the Biogon one day.

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:01 AM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1423 #6 · p.1423 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

A couple more from the SF MOMA with the MP UC-Hexanon combo

San Francisco Explorations by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

San Francisco Explorations by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:06 AM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1423 #7 · p.1423 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

M100, Nokton 50 1.1

"Take Back the Night", USC campus, LA.

Mar 20, 2017 at 05:58 AM
OleAndre
• •
p.1423 #8 · p.1423 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

AbramG wrote:
Ole those are stellar! I always wanted to try one of those lenses out myself. I'm using the Super Angolon 21mm f/3.4 myself but I'd love to try the Biogon one day.

Thanks Abram! I think if you prefer a wide angle that is small and without distortion, this is a good choice. But it needs to be stopped down to f8 to get decent corner sharpness in my opinion. By comparison, my Loxia 21 for Sony A7 has significantly better across the field sharpness, and I would guess that Leica's more modern UWAs does as well. How do you find the Super Angulon in this regard?

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:49 AM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.1423 #9 · p.1423 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Night images with the M10 and Summilux-50 pre-ASPH shot at ISO 3200 — in highly mixed light with huge color casts on skin tones; so one has to decide how much and where to neutralize. The first one was shot at 1/45 sec, so there is some camera motion.

Paris

Paris

Paris

Edited on Mar 26, 2017 at 10:03 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:54 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1423 #10 · p.1423 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

JonPB wrote:
I find myself in a quandary, and its name is "50mm."

This might not be the right place, but, so far, you folks are the closest I've found to "my people" in a photographic sense. So. Thanks for bearing with me. :-)

The tl;dr is that I'd appreciate anyone's and everyone's thoughts and recommendations for a 50mm M-mount lens. Please send me a PM if you don't want to post for everyone to read, even if that's just a link to your social media page because you've got lots of 50mm images there. Or post anything you think is appropriate, even if
...Show more

Jon,

I'm ploughing through a number of the M9... image thread pages, having recently returned home from a long trip (images to be posted in due course).

Noticing your query on 50mm lenses, I have many images that I made a few years back, all still-life test shots at home. I'm in the process of uploading these to a Google Drive folder as I type this, link below

The lenses are:

Summilux-M 50 v1 (with some fungus / haze!)

Contax G45 f/2 (converted to LM)

Jupiter-8 (50 f/2)

Canon LTM 50 f/1.4 (the Japanese Summilux)

Industar-61 LTM (53mm f/2.8, New Old Stock)

Album of lens test shots

I also have the same test shots done on my then Sony A7R (no Kolari mod, however I am not uploading those at this time).

Two lenses that I rate highly that I did not own then, but do now, are the Summarit 50 f/2.4 and Voigtlander Nokton 50 f/1.2 LTM (Version 1). I also really regret selling a V4 Summicron-M 50 that was my first genuine Leica lens.

I realise that most if not all of these lenses may fall outside your interest sphere, however I thought I would upload for possible interest. I had them uploaded as a Flickr album some time ago but they aren't there any longer.

PS - I also generally have Flickr albums that clearly state the source camera and lens for most images.

Mar 20, 2017 at 07:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lenticular11
• • •
p.1423 #11 · p.1423 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Wow,

I've just worked my way through about 20 pages of this superb thread, over 2-3 days.
Wonderful imagery as usual.

I didn't use my M9 as much as expect ed on our recent holiday, but when I did it was rewarding as usual. I carried only two compatible lenses, a ZM25 f/2.8 and a Voigtländer Nokton 50 f/1.5 LTM. The ZM stayed almost always on my infrared-modified Ricoh GXR, so the Nokton was in heavy use.

Here are some from Buenos Aires, all with Nokton 50 f/1.5 LTM on M9.

Recoleta District by David M, on Flickr

illy by David M, on Flickr

lunch by David M, on Flickr

An empathetic shirt? by David M, on Flickr

The Argentine-Uruguay war by David M, on Flickr

Edited on Apr 13, 2017 at 07:22 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Werner_Utsch
• • • •
p.1423 #12 · p.1423 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

" Hall Of Fame "

Hall Of Fame by Werner Utsch, on Flickr

Monochrome, Elmarit M 21/2.8

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:36 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1423 #13 · p.1423 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

OleAndre wrote:
Thanks Abram! I think if you prefer a wide angle that is small and without distortion, this is a good choice. But it needs to be stopped down to f8 to get decent corner sharpness in my opinion. By comparison, my Loxia 21 for Sony A7 has significantly better across the field sharpness, and I would guess that Leica's more modern UWAs does as well. How do you find the Super Angulon in this regard?

I've only been using the SA21 on film so far (I don't have a digital M anymore, but at the rate my digital equipment has been turning over I probably will come full circle back to the M240 before long haha). From what I have been able to tell the SA has really excellent central sharpness but it's not "brutal" it has a lot of that famous "Leica Glow™" but I do enjoy it quite a bit. It vignettes heavily but as I'm primarily working in black and white I find I don't mind that too much.

As to across the frame sharpness, from what I've seen on film so far it seems "best" at f/8 but very good at all other apertures. It's definitely a character lens but I kind of like it that way. Also where I live in California it's almost always sunny and I've got a tendency to shoot 400 ISO black and white film so I'm almost always at 1/1000 and f/8-11 anyways

Mar 20, 2017 at 05:10 PM
OleAndre
• •
p.1423 #14 · p.1423 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

AbramG wrote:
I've only been using the SA21 on film so far (I don't have a digital M anymore, but at the rate my digital equipment has been turning over I probably will come full circle back to the M240 before long haha). From what I have been able to tell the SA has really excellent central sharpness but it's not "brutal" it has a lot of that famous "Leica Glow™" but I do enjoy it quite a bit. It vignettes heavily but as I'm primarily working in black and white I find I don't mind that too much.

As to across
...Show more

Thanks Abram! Very good to know your user experience with the SA21 I follow you all to well when it comes to turnover! Its an expensive hobby to have (dont tell my wife that...)

A couple more with the C Biogon on the M246, both taken at f8.

Zeiss C Biogon 21/4.5 - Empty by Ole Kjennerud

Zeiss C Biogon 21/4.5 - Footpath by Ole Kjennerud

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:05 PM
OleAndre
• •
p.1423 #15 · p.1423 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Werner_Utsch wrote:
" Hall Of Fame "

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3684/32557342664_bf771319cb_h.jpg

Hall Of Fame by Werner Utsch, on Flickr

Monochrome, Elmarit M 21/2.8

Werner, I had guessed that you had a larger collection than me, but didn't know you had that large collection?

Mar 20, 2017 at 06:08 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1423 #16 · p.1423 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ole, really impressive images so far! welcome to the thread and congr to M246.

50cron rigid M240

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM
coogee
• • •
p.1423 #17 · p.1423 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

AbramG wrote

As to across
...Show more

I love my 21SA too! It's special on b/w film, I love its freedom from distortion and it's a great size as an object. It's ropey and terrible too!! but can work on b/w film really nicely, I share your feelings on ISO400 -> f/8. The hood made a massive difference with mine.I keep it and an old type 35mm Summilux on my M2.
Without hood:

Portra 160

With hood (and soft light)

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.1423 #18 · p.1423 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

M10 and Summilux-35 ASPH-FLE, shot at ISO 3200.

Paris

Edited on May 27, 2017 at 01:21 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1423 #19 · p.1423 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Haha - funny one Mitch!

Mar 21, 2017 at 01:22 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1423 #20 · p.1423 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

The Camera Store guys are a lot of fun...

50lux ASPH

Mar 21, 2017 at 03:17 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password