1       2       3              1410      
       1412              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

coogee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1411 #1 · p.1411 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

AbramG wrote:
If one is only shooting film and debating between a 35 Summicron ASPH and the 35 Summilux ASPH (the Pre-FLE version), what would make you swing one way over the other. I'm weighing the pros and cons and I keep arriving at a stalemate more or less.

Say you take the cost out of the equation.

Size is definitely a strong factor, but then I have ASPH pre and like it on colour film. ASPH lenses and Ektar really works for me.
B&W I far prefer Summicron (I have v4) for the size and gentler? tones.
The newer Summicrons look quite large (relatively speaking of course) so maybe that benefit diminishes.

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:08 PM
coogee
• • •
p.1411 #2 · p.1411 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

50mm for prints? it's hard to go past a nice Rigid Summicron, designed expressly for that purpose. Or any Summicron really.
The Elmar sounds good too, though I've never used or seen one.

I also have 50 Summilux III (pre asph still) but find myself liking it less for things I print, though I'm yet to understand why.

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:11 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1411 #3 · p.1411 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:22 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1411 #4 · p.1411 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Jon, if I start from scratch on 50mm, I'd choose APO cron and be done with it. It is small and handling great. But now I have 50lux Asph, I am fine with it on most of cases if not all. A complain: focus feel, because of FLE? It never feel as great as some of good m lenses such as 21SEM. It always feel a little loose. And seems drift easily compare to other lens. I think if Leica redesign it, the number 1 is redesign its mechanical housing to make it better feel. I understand 75cron has the same issue? Maybe someone else can chime in. It is actually quite important for M user I feel.
The other M 50 I have used are 50 Elmar f3.5, f2.8 and cron collaps version and rigid. Rigid has noticeable more contrast than others, so I feel it's brokeh is not as smooth as other older lens. However, I like the handling of the rigid and it is a reliable performer after f4. So now I am only keep rigid alone with my lux asph. I might get Elmar again later once I found I use M more often for it classic looks even with slower aperture.
PS, I agree with your comment about print size and focal lens. Longer lens image looks fine with any print size and wide angle screaming for bigger print.

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:24 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1411 #5 · p.1411 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Jon, I am very much a fan of the 50mm range and I have definitely tried my hand with numerous options (save for the exotic Noctiluxes). From Leica specifically I definitely preferred my V5 Summicron to what I got with the Summilux ASPH. The Lux was certainly an impressive lens but it never really spoke to me (and I'm one to typically like ASPH lenses). I sold it recently in favor of keeping my little Elmar-M which has quickly become my favorite 50mm. It just sings in my opinion though I'm using it on film I suspect it would do well on digital.

Another favorite of mine has been the Voigtlander 50mm f/2.5 Color Skopar, it renders similarly to the Elmar and is slightly smaller since it's not collapsible but if i had to keep one I'd choose the Elmar-M for sure.

Previously I really enjoyed the rendering of the ZM 50 Planar and C-Sonnar, as well as multiple older LTM lens options.

It's hard to really go wrong but it seems that in prints the earlier lenses are the ones that look the best.

Edit: I should mention though that I would go back to a 50mm Summicron V5 in the future. I really enjoyed that lens.

Edited on Feb 19, 2017 at 01:29 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2017 at 07:10 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1411 #6 · p.1411 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Feb 17, 2017 at 07:24 PM
AndereObjektiv
• •
p.1411 #7 · p.1411 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Snowstorm at twilight.

S-E, Summarit-S 35mm @ f/5.6, tripod 119 seconds.

Feb 17, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1411 #8 · p.1411 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

AndereObjektiv wrote:
Snowstorm at twilight.

S-E, Summarit-S 35mm @ f/5.6, tripod 119 seconds.

Awesome shot!!!! Really nice colors!

Feb 17, 2017 at 09:50 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1411 #9 · p.1411 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
Love this Edward.....

Thank you very much Allen

The portrait on the previous page is simply outstanding!

Jon, you made very good points on the M8 As for the 50mm focal length, I agree with Michael. The apo is the only one I would consider if I were to move on from my planar. I too find the rendering of the summilux asph too smooth for my taste.

Nico, love the colors you're getting from the M10. Very tempting

By the way, it's really nice to see this thread moving again. Top quality work from everyone! Sorry for not commenting individually but I enjoy each and every photo.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:43 PM
Werner_Utsch
• • • •
p.1411 #10 · p.1411 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

" Dark House "

Dark House by Werner Utsch, on Flickr

S 006, Super-Elmar S 24/3.5 Asph.

Feb 18, 2017 at 02:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1411 #11 · p.1411 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

246 & 90/2.4

by Alpha Geist, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:58 AM
xwing15
• • • •
p.1411 #12 · p.1411 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

-

Thun, Switzerland

Feb 18, 2017 at 04:12 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1411 #13 · p.1411 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Very impressive René! I would love to have a natural backdrop as grand and majestic as those mountains.

Question for you and anyone else who may want to chime in. I've been trying to find the right balance of export size (1600px long edge) and resolution (~120 ppi) for my uploads in this thread, but I share from Flickr at the smallest large size (684x1024 for example), but that large seems pretty small on my monitor. So I've tried sharing at the next size large (1068x1600 for example) and the image displayed is fairly large in size, but I seem to loose the sharpness. What size & resolution do you mostly export and share for this thread?

My apologies if this is a bit OT. I'm trying to find the right balance of size and resolution for sharing on this thread from Flickr.

Feb 18, 2017 at 04:32 AM
xwing15
• • • •
p.1411 #14 · p.1411 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Very impressive René! I would love to have a natural backdrop as grand and majestic as those mountains.

Question for you and anyone else who may want to chime in. I've been trying to find the right balance of export size (1600px long edge) and resolution (~120 ppi) for my uploads in this thread, but I share from Flickr at the smallest large size (684x1024 for example), but that large seems pretty small on my monitor. So I've tried sharing at the next size large (1068x1600 for example) and the image displayed is fairly large in size, but I seem
...Show more

Thank you for the nice comment my friend.
The area is really impressive. With the time it is difficult to see this. You get used to it quickly. And it becomes 'normal'.
My images scale to 2000x1280 and 600 KB.

best regards

René

Feb 18, 2017 at 04:45 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1411 #15 · p.1411 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

JonPB wrote:
I'd be very curious to hear your subjective and observational remarks of a SL/SL50, MD/APO50, A7/Z50 three-way comparison. Personally, I find that being engaged with the device -- optical finder & manual operation -- leads to me being more emotionally engaged in the act of photography, which leads to better final images ... and is more fun, to boot. Of course, I'm not a working photographer, so that basis is completely separate, but since you're passionate about the art, craft, and tools of it -- in addition to being a pro -- I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on the matter.
...Show more

I'll take all that into consideration while writing my review and maybe I'll get a few M-D 50APO shots in.. It'll be a while so I'll leave you with this since I've used the SL50 enough to kinda know what I'll "feel" about the three way comparison.

The 50APO is still the best 50 out there IMHO having tried everything. Now when I say best, I don't mean tests and charts and technical comparisons. Because you shouldn't really directly compare a F/2 lens to a F/1.4 lens in a technical non-subjective nature. What I mean is final image quality the way I see the world and like my lenses to render.

BUT the 50APO with any M camera or even with a mirrorless camera won't be the easiest to use considering no AF. Now that for me isn't a deal breaker.. But if one tires of manual focusing then the A7rII + 50ZA starts to look ridiculously attractive with it's (never failed for me in decent light) continuous eye AF. I'll leaving the comments about the SL AF and overall size/weight considerations to my review.

Feb 18, 2017 at 06:34 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1411 #16 · p.1411 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Went today to a Salgado exhibition. Fantastic work but unfortunately photography isn't allowed which is too bad because there were many photo opportunities of visitors interacting with the art work. It's also quite interesting that photos were taken between 1979 and 2011, and one can see a clear progress in the medium, as early work was very grainy, almost impressionistic, and very beautiful. Shots from the 90s and early 2000s show a huge improvement in film quality, and I wonder if digital was ever necessary, as the photos (which are wet printed) show amazing gradations and very fine pleasing grain. The digital shots from 2011 are very obvious, and while some are great, there are others that show the blown up highlights and sterile look that are peculiar to the medium.

Here are a few from the exhibition center, all with the 35 C-Biogon:

L1001858 by edward karaa, on Flickr

L1001862 by edward karaa, on Flickr

L1001863 by edward karaa, on Flickr

L1001869 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:12 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1411 #17 · p.1411 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

And here's my usual street photography

L1001875 by edward karaa, on Flickr

L1001878 by edward karaa, on Flickr

L1001879 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:15 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1411 #18 · p.1411 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

[/QUOTE]

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1411 #19 · p.1411 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

One from last week.

zm35 Distagon

Feb 18, 2017 at 06:58 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1411 #20 · p.1411 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Allen, beautiful low key set!

Gary, I really like this scene. Every person seems to tell a story.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.