FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1079      
       1081              2351       2352       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1080 #1 · p.1080 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

My first post from the M - Latin Jazz All-Stars at Detroit's Music Hall Jazz Café: Steve Turre on T-bone & shells, Yosvanny Terry on sax, Yunior Terry on bass:

20150123-021-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20150123-033-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20150123-022-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20150123-091-web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Leica M iso 3200 1/90 f/2 90 APO | I've a ways to go on post with these files, much to learn.

Jan 24, 2015 at 06:08 PM
chrislee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1080 #2 · p.1080 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Nice Mike, shots like that make me not want to sell my R version

Allen, Congrats on the upcoming show. Dan mentioned to me the fri shows while I was there looking at camera's recently. Good Luck! I was shooting some pics downtown the other day, not nearly impressive as yours making it clear I've got a long way to go. Cool shots.

Jan 24, 2015 at 06:44 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1080 #3 · p.1080 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Chris and just keep having fun.

Pumped about the show. Dans a great guy...

Jan 24, 2015 at 06:49 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1080 #4 · p.1080 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles and Joe, always good to see you guys lurking around in this thread though I do miss your shots as you were few of the very active members in this thread when I just got interested in Leica.

Edward, I admire your walks of life shots. Very simple but very appealing. thanks for all the likes.

AbramG, each of your shot I have seen in this thread appears to me like a very carefully selected and diligently worked upon to perfection before showing here.

Morfeus, Thanks for sharing the link to Luka's PS action

& Unoh, lostinjapan, christlee, rirakuma, skumar, katie, werner, zhangyue, Gary, airfrogusmc, Ron, Joakim, Mitch, Adam & anyone I forgot to mention - Thanks to you all for helping me learn on this forum and for being a constant source of inpiration and encouragement.

Both with MM and CV21 ultron at f11

Edited on Jan 25, 2015 at 01:07 AM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2015 at 06:57 PM
recordproducti
• •
p.1080 #5 · p.1080 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I'm starting to really *get* the M240 and my 35 cron, still a learning curve and I doubt I'll be getting rid of my Nikon DF but I'm now starting to feel confident that I can sell the D800e to raise funds for a 50 cron

A couple from today at the Museum in Oxford

ISO 1,600 - f/3.4

ISO 800, f/3.8

ISO 800, f/4

Strangely, I may have the lens set at say f/2 but then when I import the exif shows f/2.4 etc. Is this normal?

Jan 24, 2015 at 07:01 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1080 #6 · p.1080 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

You sir are a very welcome addition to my favorite thread on the internet. So many wonderful images and amazing photographers including yourself....

Jan 24, 2015 at 07:01 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1080 #7 · p.1080 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I don't know about the M240 but my MM shows the wrong aperture a lot.

Jan 24, 2015 at 07:02 PM
recordproducti
• •
p.1080 #8 · p.1080 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
You sir are a very welcome addition to my favorite thread on the internet. So many wonderful images and amazing photographers including yourself....

It was this thread that made me take the plunge after lurking for years, so may excellent photos and photographers

Slippery slope I reckon!

Jan 24, 2015 at 07:13 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1080 #9 · p.1080 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

All digital M's are guessing aperture, there isnt any aperture link between camera and lens. So wrong aperture isnt strange.

Jan 24, 2015 at 07:17 PM
AbramG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1080 #10 · p.1080 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak - I appreciate that, I do work on my images a bit (and I am indeed notoriously selective, but not an "over-shooter" ), but I try not to go overboard with editing, doing my best to do as much in-camera as possible (as that is how I was trained). I'm still learning the behavior of the M240 but I'm definitely getting the hang of it now I think.

I really enjoy coming to this thread to see the work you all do, there's a lot to learn from and many images that inspire me.

Jan 24, 2015 at 08:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1080 #11 · p.1080 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
Hi Ryan
Well, I feel good then This one is brand new for 1064usd and very cheap shipping to USA.

I'm pretty excited about it, and have found some new shooters to follow on Flickr who are making some very interesting images with the lens. I better get a 3 stop filter for daylight 1.1 with M9. Anyone know affordable but good source for these?
It takes 55 I think.

That is really a good deal. I will be looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers.

Ryan

Jan 24, 2015 at 09:32 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1080 #12 · p.1080 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Hi All,

Few more from my day out at the Ise Grand Shrine last week. All taken on the M240 and the CV 50/1.5 Nokton ASPH.

Cheers!

Ryan

© lostinjapan 2014

© lostinjapan 2014

© lostinjapan 2014

© lostinjapan 2014

Jan 24, 2015 at 09:35 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1080 #13 · p.1080 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Hi guys!

Tons of awesome shots. I just got to the states a few days ago, haven't been able to post anything yet.
Trying to reacquaint myself with the S-system + 70 Summarit-s.

\\\Some thoughts for those who are interested in hearing about my views on the S-system so far///
Firstly, either I was using a defective S006 a year back or the newer firmware (came out summer this year) has vastly improved the AF in the camera. Now I'm not saying it's anywhere near the 1Dx, or even the old 5D classic. But the AF isn't bad, and at least its accurate at close to medium distances on the model I'm using now. Still not good for fast moving subjects, or moving subjects in general And the viewfinder isn't nearly as good as with my Contax645 (but I didn't like the digital back options I tried for the Contax645 save for the ones that were $25k++). So I made the choice to sell off a lot of my Contax645 gear and bought into the S-system. Anyway, I'm almost 100% over film shooting for professional applications. Oh the one thing I hated about the S a year ago was it's problem hitting focus with backlit subjects. Now much improved in that area.

Quirks are very similar to the M9. Slow preview loading, slow buffer, slow everything really. Not a fantastic screen, but good enough to judge sharpness (although a slow process due to waiting for the camera). Ergonomically really pretty good. The multi-directional button on the back is a bit finicky and I wish it felt more like the Canon/Nikon buttons.

Had an issue with the first lens delivered (new but AF was broken). Second lens working fine. I'm not sure what kind of setup I want to run, but I can say this... If M9 and the S-006 are technologically on par, and the M240 and the S007 share the same "upgrades", I'll be selling off a lot of gear to buy an S007.

I guess what I'm saying is, I still don't fully love the S006. But it's something I'm willing to work with for a few months, to see if I love the concept of the system. Initially I didn't, and I was more then happy to say goodbye to it a year back. But now that I've been playing with it in nice California light, I'm liking it more then I initially thought I would. I'm hoping I grow to love the lenses, who knows though!

Honestly, the reason I bought it in the first place was because I wanted to see if I could get use to the idea of using it, and if I could, I would supplement my M240 shots with shots from the S-007 (when it becomes available). But the S-007 is quite expensive, so i decided to play with the S-006 as a cheaper way into the format. Besides the S-007 isn't out yet anyway for at least 4 more months.

------

As far as the lenses are concern. I only picked up the 70mm, but I'm considering getting the 35mm to complement it. That or buying a 100mm and getting the 45mm to complement it (if I do this, I may still keep the 70mm).

The 70mm reminds me of a mix between the rendering of the 50APO and 75APO (more towards the 75APO, but it has it's moments of extreme realism (think 21SEM), and sometimes chill 50APO like rendering). It has the bokeh of the 50LUX but in a smoother maybe a slight bit more clinical fashion (although that might be the sensor colors that I'm not use to yet). The neat news is, a lot of the time I see the pop and 3D realism found in the 21SEM and 28Elmarit type lenses (but with less contrast, unfortunately). So it's a really interesting mix. But to be honest a lot of the time I still feel the lens is flat lacks contrast and is to perfect. More like characterless lenses, but not like the 50APO is characterless.. I still like the 50APO a lot better. But it might just take time with the system to really tell if I can pull character out of the setup.

I've tested almost all the other lenses, and a year back used two of the other lenses. I find that they're all pretty flat, again it may just be the sensor, or the way I was/am editing the files. Perhaps the S007 will be even worse, since the increase in DR will give off an even more flat first impression.

We will see what happens.

EDIT: One more thing.. ISO 800 is useable, but would prefer to shoot on 400 and worse case, push two stops in LR. Also I can hand hold at 90th of a second and get good results if I'm making the effort, but prefer to shoot 125th or 250th if I'm lazy and want to insure good shots with improper technique.

OK and for those who don't care, here are some images from around the construction zone house today:

S-006 + 70 Summarit-S

(Her eyes are razor sharp, but the jpg doesn't show it.)

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1080 #14 · p.1080 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Jan 25, 2015 at 08:09 AM
Joshua Lowe
• •
p.1080 #15 · p.1080 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

M240, 50 Lux 1.4 ASPH, Portland Intl Airport

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1080 #16 · p.1080 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Phil, very nice contrast and color in the second shot. Two different characters of the noctilux.
AbramG, love the processing.
Charlie, first shot is outstanding.
Joe, good to see you back. Love the first shot. Beautiful rendering.
Allen, fantastic work, as usual.
Mike, welcome back to this thread and congrats on the M! Great jazz photos.
Jfreak, really like the 1st shot, perfect timing. Thanks for the comments too!
Recordproducti, very nice set! 2 and 3 are my favourites.
Ryan, great photos from Japan. I like them all.
Adam, thank you for sharing your experience with the S, very informative. I like the portrait of your wife, but the flower shot looks a bit harsh in contrast. What kind of PP have you done on it?
Joshua, well done! Very funny!

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1080 #17 · p.1080 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for all the likes everyone.
Just like Adam said, the jpeg blunts the sharpness that make some of these closeup portraits so nice on computer.
MM, 75 summarit, 2.5 @1/45, window light in otherwise dark room

Edited on Jan 25, 2015 at 01:40 PM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2015 at 01:38 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1080 #18 · p.1080 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Hi Edward, thanks. For the flower shot I added contrast and saturation. The scene was a bit contrasty already. I'm having a hard time with the files, they all seem a bit flatter to me then I'm use to editing.

Here's a straight out of camera jpg file (reduced in size) of flowers to show you what I mean:

And another shot of Emily (but it always softens up, maybe I need to research web jpgs):

Jan 25, 2015 at 01:40 PM
chrislee
• •
p.1080 #19 · p.1080 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Wow Adam, Emily has Beautiful eyes! Really stunning.

Jan 25, 2015 at 02:27 PM
Mark Blumer

p.1080 #20 · p.1080 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Flying home from Providence, Rhode Island to Detroit, Michigan. M240-P with Zeiss 35 f/2 Biogon. Processed in LR.
Thanks for looking,
Mark

Night at 20,000 feet

Jan 25, 2015 at 02:33 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.