FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1051      
       1053              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1052 #1 · p.1052 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Adam, I think I got the M60 and 100 year models confused. I guess it was the latter that the 28 Lux comes with?

Oh, and I forgot to reply to the diopter question. I just went to a Leica store and they let me try a bunch of diopters. At night and in low light, when my pupils are 'wide open' I tend to be nearsighted, so I found that -1 diopter was the right amount for me. If you're farsighted, then you want to go + power. Is your eyesight pretty good, in that you can pretty much get away without glasses most of the time? If so, I think in the +/- 1 range would be good. IIRC, the camera's existing eyepiece diopter is something like -0.5, so if you're told to aim for a certain 'end' diopter value, you need to take this into consideration.

From the Leica website:

Please note that the Leica M-Viewfinder is preset by default to -0.5 diopters, so anyone wearing glasses of 1 diopter strength would require a +1.5 diopters

M240 & 90AA x3, 50 Lux ASPH x2

Dec 18, 2014 at 02:33 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1052 #2 · p.1052 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Charlie - nice set. I like #3 best but the color cast (and your dirty sensor) is pretty nasty though....

at first i thought you were just giving me a hard time , then I took a close look YIKES!!! What can I say? This is the wild west, we take a bath and clean the sensor once a year. In the spring!

But I cleaned it up, see what you think

PS love ur #2
Socked in today...so muc, what should I do? Shoot it!!

L1025661 by unoh7, 50 cron WO

L1025667 by unoh7, 50 Cron f/4

L1025664 by unoh7, 50 cron WO

@Ron What light!! my fav of all is the very first of yours after my dirty sensor shot, with 50 Lux. Good work with the entire locale.

@ Edward, I should have known that f/11 on the cron is going to show every zit Was editing on my older MBP, and dirt does not jump at me like the riMac. TY for keeping me honest

Dec 18, 2014 at 05:22 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1052 #3 · p.1052 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for the diopter advice. I'll go to the Leica store and try them out. My problem is, I can't read far away signs, but every time I go to the eye doctor they tell me to not worry about getting glasses. But then the few times I go to the DMV I struggle to pass their eye exam before getting my license (but it might be because I don't like resting my head on their machine).

Nice shots guys!

Ron - Yes the M60 is the steel one that looks like titanium and doesn't have a rear LCD screen. It's an M240 by right. It comes with a 35FLE only. The 100y version is a Monochrom in SS (and it's pretty shinny) and it comes with an M-A in SS as well + a 28lux / 35FLE / 50lux all in SS with black lettering and black ball. It's a really nice set, but I have no need for a MM or an M-A (and it's like $$$$).

Dec 19, 2014 at 07:22 AM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1052 #4 · p.1052 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Two more with the 75/2.4 Summitar. What's your longest shutter speed with the longer lenses, 75-90mm? I find I struggle with 1/90 with my 75 and shouldn't really go slower than 1/125 to be safe.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1052 #5 · p.1052 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Adam, sounds light your eyesight is similar to mine - nearsighted - so you're looking at minus diopter corrections.
Joakim, I have a difficult time with slower shutter speeds and 50mm+. I try to stay above 1/125 with 50mm, or only shoot horizontals. For some reason I have more trouble with vertical images on Leica M. They have way more camera shake. With 75/90 I try to stay above 1/250, but that can be really difficult indoors, etc. I would definitely benefit from IBIS if Leica were to implement it in a future camera.

M240 & 90AA x2, 50 Lux ASPH

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1052 #6 · p.1052 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joakim - I try not to go under 125th for any FL as I don't like the softer look (light wise, not shutter shake) of anything under that speed. Unless I need the motion or have no choice light wise.
For 75/90 I like to be at 180th or 250th. Just to insure the image is crisp.
Interesting shots, looks like you managed to get out an about in the two hours of daylight you had!

Ron - Interesting, ok I now have a starting point for diopters. Have both the 1.4x and 1.25x now. The 1.4x helps a bit, not as much as I'd like, which is why I asked.
I seem to have more trouble with motion shake and horizontal images.. Maybe we should share techniques (I'm envisioning an old shaolin movie right now).
Nice colors btw.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1052 #7 · p.1052 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Adam - Thanks. I think if you can find the right diopter you'll probably find the magnifier less necessary. That said, a diopter on the magnifier might make it even more effective...

If for some reason the Leica diopters don't work, you can try a custom made one for your prescription: http://walterrxeyepiece.com

I have not tried this yet, since I'm not having much trouble seeing the RF patch clearly, but IIRC there was a discussion about this product on LUF.

M240 & 50 Lux ASPH.

The first image above was at 1/125 and I think I shot around 5 in total and all had slight camera shake blur, though of course it will never show at web rez.

Dec 19, 2014 at 02:34 PM
jhulton
• • •
p.1052 #8 · p.1052 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Recent image with Leica M240 and Summi 75mm.
C&C encouraged.

Dec 19, 2014 at 04:07 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1052 #9 · p.1052 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great images all
Edward, I really love the last few street sets you posted. the color, tonality, and contrast seems all work together seamlessly.
Gary, another wonderful set.

Joakim, For 90mm I had, I can hand hold as slow as 1/30 get decent results for portraits but do have more blur one as well compare to 50 and below. usually I know if I got the shot or not before hand. I feel released after every successful click because I usually hold my breath for image require slow shutter. It is also usually more difficult when I am in stand up position, especially like Ron mentioned in vertical mode. My hand hold technical is pretty good I feel. and this is highly content dependent, my threshold of keeper may be lower than most people I feel the after market soft release for Leica definitely help a little on my M9. but at the same time will make RX1 handhold worse. So far, the best one I have about handholdability from any camera is D810. What you feel, since you also have one

Handhold 1/4s at 17mm D810

1/15s

You have posted some great examples show what 90f2.5 can do and image like the ones you posted indeed are a lot demanding in sharpness.

Ron, I really like the 1st set you posted. Great composition.
jhulton, welcome to thread and I enjoy the image

28cron

21 biogon

Dec 19, 2014 at 06:40 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1052 #10 · p.1052 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

21SEM

21SEM

90cron pre-AA

90cron Pre-AA

Dec 19, 2014 at 09:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1052 #11 · p.1052 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

This is an interesting memorial on Petrin Hill in Prague. It is a memorial to the victims of communism and symbolizes how political prisoners were "eaten" away by communism. It is quite powerful when you are standing in front of it....

35cron asph

Dec 19, 2014 at 09:57 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1052 #12 · p.1052 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

love those, Michael

Love 1 and 2, Gary
A famous long time Sun Valley Photographer:

Jack by unoh7, 50 cron WO

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1052 #13 · p.1052 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Leica M-E, Lux 50 Asph

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1052 #14 · p.1052 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joakim, nice rendering with the 75. Really like the 2nd shot. I try to shoot my 85 sonnar at 1/250 whenever possible. I've got jittery hands

Ron, fantastic sets in a row! The abandoned house set is my favorite.

Jhulton, very nice composition. Worthy to be printed large.

Zhangyue, thanks for your comments. Absolutely awesome set. Love the colors.

Gary, 2nd and 4th shots are my favorites. Nice job!

Charlie, love the last portrait.

Desmolicious, very nice portrait. Very expressive and excellent PP.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1052 #15 · p.1052 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary, very strong set, love them all. Also the statue image.
Charlie, Desmolicious, nice portraits.
Edward, thank you for your kind comments.

Few from today, pajamas day. Can you guess what lens

Dec 20, 2014 at 02:59 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1052 #16 · p.1052 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
This is an interesting memorial on Petrin Hill in Prague. It is a memorial to the victims of communism and symbolizes how political prisoners were "eaten" away by communism. It is quite powerful when you are standing in front of it....

Powerful just looking at the image you took. One of the most impactful images I have seen this year. Thanks for sharing this one Gary.

Dec 20, 2014 at 09:59 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1052 #17 · p.1052 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great stuff everyone!!!!

I recently picked up a new bag for my MM.

It's a small field from Filson and it will make a great travel bag.

Heres a few fast shots of it.

I inserted a hard bottom piece from another old bag and a very thin foam pad for the bottom. Then a 2 inch or so foam pad with a cut out for the lens and camera to fit lens down in the foam.

Size comparison to a 5DII and 200 2L

Lots of room in the front large pocket for charger, extra batteries and otehr stuff.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1052 #18 · p.1052 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

One thing I've learned recently is that I was somewhat spoiled by the capabilities of the RX1 sensor. You could more or less throw anything at it and it would always recover the goods. With the m240, I am still not up to scratch with metering (due to lack of consistent use with it, and having stopped using a CW method a while ago too), so I am discovering problems from my own mistakes, whereas the RX1 or similar would just be fine with it. The banding, when underexposing at higher iso is very obvious, but I can live with it. I just need to get better. I have a couple of hilarious images of family from it, which show this banding, but I don't mind. I'm actually framing them as gifts for next year

p.s. I was out in the COLD a few weeks ago, wondering the streets of London, only took a few images, but returned with 100% battery . Love that!

p.s. I am too slow to comment but just to say you guys have been posting some beautiful images of late!

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1052 #19 · p.1052 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Zhangyue, beautiful photos of your son in pyjamas. I'm completely ignorant in what concerns lens rendering, but I'm sure Ron can guess it from the first try

Allen, nice inconspicuous bag. Doesn't look like a photo bag.

Here's one shot from today:

M240 ZM 35/2 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1052 #20 · p.1052 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

zhangyue - Great images...

They don't look wide enough to be your 28summicron.
They don't look sketchy enough to be your 50summicron.
They don't look smooth enough to be your 50summilux (but almost).
I'm going to guess your 35summicron.

Nice no matter what lens you use!

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.