Upload & Sell: On
p.1045 #1 · p.1045 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Don't know what it is, drawn on a whiteboard at my work. 28 mm Elmarit

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:39 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1045 #2 · p.1045 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Rahul, thanks for the kind words and welcome to the thread!
Thanks Charlie! That's quite the gang... looks like they're not shy about cohabiting with humans.

So I've been chipping away at the never ending backlog of images to process and today got around to working on some M9 images from early November in NYC while my M240 was at Leica for the day getting the RF calibrated. While casually looking through the images, I noticed this:

... I guess my M9 also has sensor delamination/corrosion. So far these are the only two spots I have found during regular editing. The bigger one is quite near the edge of the frame. Both are in the upper left quadrant.

Here's the entire frame:

M9 & 28 Cron

So now to decide if I want sensor replacement or trade towards an M240. My SO says I should get the sensor replaced, since the guts of the camera will then be pretty much new (though the shutter is 145K actuations). And it would be the cheapest route. But I can't shake the desire to get a second M240 since it would be a lot more practical as an identical back up. Or so I think. I suppose it will also depend on what Leica offers for the M9.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1045 #3 · p.1045 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron - that's a bummer. Although it would be nice to have both an M9 and M240, I say go for a second M240. You will always have the option to tweak your M240 files to have a similar output to M9 if you really have the desire. I think that lady and her "laser beam look" burnt a hole through your sensor.

35cron asph

35cron asph

35cron asph

35cron asph

35cron asph

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:28 AM
pandorf
• • •
p.1045 #4 · p.1045 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I'm traveling this week and this is a high contrast shot as I came out of the hotel lobby near the Heathrow airport yesterday before flying back to the states.

Leica M-E, Leica Summilux-M 35mm ASPH.

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:11 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1045 #5 · p.1045 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Rahul, thanks for the kind words and welcome to the thread!
Thanks Charlie! That's quite the gang... looks like they're not shy about cohabiting with humans.

So I've been chipping away at the never ending backlog of images to process and today got around to working on some M9 images from early November in NYC while my M240 was at Leica for the day getting the RF calibrated. While casually looking through the images, I noticed this:

http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fmm9-2/20141104/20141104_0134crop.jpg

... I guess my M9 also has sensor delamination/corrosion. So far these are the only two spots I have found during regular editing. The bigger
...Show more

Hi, Ron, Let me know what you find out about your M9 trade in? I feel I really need a 2nd body if travel with M system, mainly for without changing lens in field but also for back up. I feel either a D810 with Zoom or two M will do to meet my requirement in field. haven't bought my 2nd M9 yet, I may just hold off to see if trade in for M240 is feasible solution before make that decision

Gary, Very nice set!

Some random from San Diego, 28cron

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:23 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1045 #6 · p.1045 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

@Gary first and last my favs. While i admire the work of all the 240 shooters here, and regard the preference as a personal one, I doubt all the post in the world will make a 28 shot from the 240 look like Ron's shot above. I did a complete double take when I looked at it, not realizing it was with his M9, thinking what in the world did he shoot that with? . But I'm sure it depends on the subject, light, aperture etc. Great shot Ron

@ Ron re street gang. In fact I've been chased a number of times trying to defend my bird feeders. Those Elk have my old alpha lab afraid to go in the yard when they are around, even though Wolf predation is not uncommon since reintroduction. I never go after them without a loose shirt to wave if necessary .

Sorry to see your M9 has "it". How long has it been in the wild? I'm guessing three years?

@ Michael Lovely set Incredible DOF. How far did you stop down for those?

Dec 12, 2014 at 01:37 AM
seekuh
• •
p.1045 #7 · p.1045 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, my sensor has the same issue. It's one or two minor spots like yours. I'll send my camera in to Leica in March.

Dec 12, 2014 at 02:06 AM
Werner_Utsch
• • • •
p.1045 #8 · p.1045 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

"Circles"
Leica Park, Wetzlar

L1021140.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Dec 12, 2014 at 04:11 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1045 #9 · p.1045 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, I read today on LUF one report from a user who sent the camera to CS but they said there was no corrosion. They will just do the usual CLA and return it to him, despite posting a shot with a clear few spots of corrosion on the forum. Imo, it would be wise to wait until the problem gets too visible to be "unseen", say 10-15 spots.

Dec 12, 2014 at 06:14 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1045 #10 · p.1045 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Good point Edward. I'm still not on what the mechanism is for this "corrosion" though... Most corrosion is associated with metals and not glass. I would guess that environmental conditions is the main factor at play here. Perhaps this issue is more prevelant in certain climates? Ron - maybe you can sent their tech a pic or two and have their feedback before sending it in....

BTW - last night I noticed a 50mm f/1.2 listed in the lens listing in my camera? I don't think Leica ever produced an m 50/1.2 - correct?

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bjornthun
• • • •
p.1045 #11 · p.1045 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Here is a dsecription of the Leica Noctilux 1.2/50, http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/1.2_Noctilux

Google is your friend.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1045 #12 · p.1045 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Good point Edward. I'm still not on what the mechanism is for this "corrosion" though... Most corrosion is associated with metals and not glass. I would guess that environmental conditions is the main factor at play here. Perhaps this issue is more prevelant in certain climates? Ron - maybe you can sent their tech a pic or two and have their feedback before sending it in....

BTW - last night I noticed a 50mm f/1.2 listed in the lens listing in my camera? I don't think Leica ever produced an m 50/1.2 - correct?

Gary, I think they use the word corrosion because the coatings are indeed metallic. The glass itself, which is also a mineral, does not corrode, but the coatings have a reaction with humidity, causing gazes to accumulate beneath them and produce bubbles.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1045 #13 · p.1045 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Bjorn - thanks for the info. TBH - I never knew that lens existed. I don't recall any pics being posted here with it and don't hear much on the internet. Being so close in speed to the 50lux, there may have not been a huge market for it.

Edward - that makes more sense. Thanks.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1045 #14 · p.1045 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Introducing the Summarit-M 75 f/2.4. Picked it up at lunch today so here are some photos from today.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1045 #15 · p.1045 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Congratulations Joakim! I see you already gave it a good work out! Fantastic shots and the lens renders very nicely. Any comments about the improved build quality (compared to non Summarit lenses)?

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1045 #16 · p.1045 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thank you Edward. The build quality feels solid and in no way like a "cheaper" lens, very Leica so to speak. Focusing is smooth with a somewhat short throw, for good or bad, and the rubber ring gives a good grip when focusing.

Only minor issue I had today was that when using gloves the aperture ring is a little close to the hood but I think that is just something to get used to. Another thing is that I got a lot of miss focused shots when shooting wide open but even at 2.4 there is not much Dof so this is something behind the camera that needs to be fixed

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1045 #17 · p.1045 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Congrats Joakim! I think the Summarit line is very underrated. I also noticed right away the f/0.1 difference in f stop! Looking forward to seeing more from you with this lens.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1045 #18 · p.1045 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:

It was the first Noctilux, with hand-polished aspherical elements. A good copy is supposedly very good, but there is definitely variation. They are rare, and mostly go to collectors now. The prices are obscene.

Dec 12, 2014 at 02:07 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1045 #19 · p.1045 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

From a short walk at lunchtime today...

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

M9 Sensor

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Dec 12, 2014 at 07:08 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1045 #20 · p.1045 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

@ Joakim the 75 looks great, super sharp and super rich color

This time of year I see many very old friends again:

L1025447 by unoh7, Karaagon f/2

L1025435 by unoh7, Karaagon f/2

I had to break my normal "don't touch it" policy to deal with the heavy backlight in these

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM
1       2       3              1044      
       1046              2354       2355       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1044      
       1046              2354       2355       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.