1       2       3              1027      
       1029              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1028 #1 · p.1028 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Battery is still charging...

I tried my M8 with 4 lens I have and each one needs the focus ring to move just a little back to infinity focus. It is variable and as I move to longer FL, the moving back needed is little less. 90mm needs to be moved least compared to 35mm the most.

What I care more is if this is causing my focus to be off by just a little when I am focussing say on eyes.

Nov 15, 2014 at 03:19 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1028 #2 · p.1028 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Well, I am seeing the leica look so that is good.

Nov 15, 2014 at 04:07 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1028 #3 · p.1028 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

On the M240 focus checking is soooo easy. You have live view. Use the RF to focus at an infinity subject and then check this against the live view. Do this at various distances and you'll see pretty quick what's happening. Easiest to do on a tripod, even a table top one. The spines on books in a book case is an easy close focus check or the good ol brick wall at an angle. All focus tests need to be done wide open and you'll also need to check focus from both directions (ie: from infinity and then from minimum).

For infinity if the lens is spot on at the hard stop it's the camera. If not it the lens or a camera lens combo. Different lenses have different focus travel which is why you're moving back differently with different lenses.

I'm putting a lot of frames through my M's at the moment (all work and no play, unfortunately) and occasionally need a small tweak to the RF infinity position.

Nov 15, 2014 at 04:15 PM
shujert
• • •
p.1028 #4 · p.1028 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
I know what you mean... I don't really worry about using my 1DX at 3200+ but with the M9 it was always a matter of finding the right balance between high enough shutter speed and not too high ISO. It's a reason IMO for buying the fastest lenses you can afford.

The M9 is particular in low light situations, and is one of the major complaints about it... The cleaner the light (broader spectrum), the better it will be. But, often that's not possible and you'll probably notice splotchy skin tones where some areas are stubbornly red/magenta. The easiest solution is
...Show more

Thank you, Ron. I found the thread you're referencing over in the Leica User Forum shortly after posing the question here and found it quite an interesting read. I'll have a great opportunity to try out the technique next weekend.

Nov 15, 2014 at 04:33 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1028 #5 · p.1028 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

repeat post

Edited on Nov 15, 2014 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2014 at 05:29 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1028 #6 · p.1028 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

What if I said every shot it asking for little better focus and with every lens I have tried. Is this possible?

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 4.59.25 PM by vazad, on Flickr

This is from sony using same lens
Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 5.02.28 PM by vazad, on Flickr

Quite disappointing to be honest. Next I was gonna do what "flash" suggested and Leica M is non responding. I am charging the battery again to see if it wakes up.

Nov 15, 2014 at 05:29 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1028 #7 · p.1028 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I have a feeling this is camera and not even the RF misalignment or focus issue. Something more than that. If you see below at 5.6 aperture there is good DOF and sony is showing lots of that in focus but the M shot show the lack of sharp in focus area for entire DOF. How is this possible if it RF issue. This is a pattern I am seeing in all shots. Can anyone tell me if this interpretation in right or I am deducing all wrong. I can still send this camera back. I am now wondering if this is bigger issue then RF.

From Leica M
Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 5.53.41 PM by vazad, on Flickr

From sony a7. both using the same lens
Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 5.53.55 PM by vazad, on Flickr

Nov 15, 2014 at 06:58 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.1028 #8 · p.1028 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

^There's definitely something not right there. Was this shot via live view or RF focusing? If it can focus sharp on the Sony it should be able to focus on the M as well. If you are having this problem on all your lenses you should take it to a nearby leica store or rep and have them check it out.

Nov 15, 2014 at 07:25 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1028 #9 · p.1028 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Did you try what Edward mentioned to rule out a few variables? Try not to get too worked up - it could very well be something quite simple (but perhaps not). The very first thing I would do is focus on something (mid to long range) by using your LCD. Once focused, snap a shot and have a look. If sharp, this would mean the camera itself is functioning fine and you have a calibration issue. Then perform some more testing to see where the calibration is off - RF or lens. One step at a time....

Nov 15, 2014 at 07:42 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1028 #10 · p.1028 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Well the new issue I have now is that the camera is not turning on. The battery in in charger for few hrs now but no response from camera. Its just not a good start is what i am feeling. Thank you guys for your replies. I appreciate it very much.

Is there any other way to charge battery then the charger. I am not sure if battery is charging now.

Nov 15, 2014 at 07:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1028 #11 · p.1028 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak wrote:
Well the new issue I have now is that the camera is not turning on. The battery in in charger for few hrs now but no response from camera. Its just not a good start is what i am feeling. Thank you guys for your replies. I appreciate it very much.

Is there any other way to charge battery then the charger. I am not sure if battery is charging now.

I feel for your frustrations! With regards, to your focus, with LV you should be able to focus accurately regardless of the RF/lens cam calibration issues. I suspect you 50 Lux may not be in sync, and this generally can be fixed by local Leica repair centers that have a lens collimator. The turn around here is usually a few days, and the calibrations can then be kept by your local repair centre for any future issues.

First they will need to check whether the M240 is calibrated properly and see whether the calibration is within tolerance. This is a quick check, and can be done on the same day.

Generally with any fast lenses, I would first check the MFD and see what forward or backward bias there was wide open, and then stopped down at different f stops. Quite often with fast lenses, there will be a compromise, where MFD where wide open there may be a back focus bias, but still on the cusp of still being in focus. Then as you stop down, there maybe a forward bias, but so long as it is focus still it is fine. Then I check infinity, as often the lens may need tweaking if the infinity does not correspond to your lens stop. Also then I check mid focusing distances, as this is where the linearity of calibrations vary. I have found on average, I would need to have my 50 Nocti f/1.0, 75 Lux and 50 Lux Asph rechecked about every 18 months after about 4 overseas trips. Generally the 50 Lux Asph cam is very accurately calibrated to the M240, and the lens only requires minor tweaking.

From your shots, there is a definite issue with calibration. First, as already suggested, see whether you have 50 Lux shots accurately in focus via LV/EVF. This I have used a number of times when my lenses/M240 have gone off calibration while travelling.

I would not be too overly concerned, normally the repairs can be quick Good luck!!

Nov 15, 2014 at 09:17 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1028 #12 · p.1028 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles, Appreciate your detailed reply. To tell you honestly, I had been thinking about how you have moved to a7 and set yourself free of all this and if that' just the way. I'm in kansas and closest leica authorized place according to Leica website is 4 hrs away.

If this thing charges and camera comes to life I will do the exercise but if not then I am good with M8U for those shots good light where it does give me the leica look. Glad I talked to popflash befoe about return and it only cost me shipping for return within 7 days. I really want to use it but not with this much overhead.

What is disappointing is that this is likely an ongoing affair and that is just not very encouraging. This lack of dependability is concerning.

Nov 15, 2014 at 09:32 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1028 #13 · p.1028 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

So it has been many hours, the charger is blinking but the battery is just cold and charger too. I have tried putting it in camera a few times but dead. The red led also does not blink as I put the battery in. I am not sure what it means but it is just close to driving me away from leica body. Just too much hassle for a fun activity. Will leave the charger on for night and try tomorrow. It better come alive or everything is packed to ship out first thing monday.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:22 PM
pandorf
• • •
p.1028 #14 · p.1028 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I was out west this past week which included a day near Page, Arizona at Antelope Canyon.

Leica M-E, 35 Lux ASPH.

Antelope Canyon

Edited on Nov 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:56 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1028 #15 · p.1028 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak wrote:
Charles, Appreciate your detailed reply. To tell you honestly, I had been thinking about how you have moved to a7 and set yourself free of all this and if that' just the way.

M240 is superb machine and used today all over the world in every condition. Your's may have issue as any camera might. My advice is calm down. Don't know what you were doing playing with firmware on a new to you machine, unless I've misunderstood the frantic posts. Even those who know their camera perfectly step carefully in such a move. At any rate don't blame the Leica M240 for a bad copy you might or might not have.

You don't think anyone ever bought a used 5D that didn't work right? Rather than hash every detail here and complain about Leicas, you may want to get a pm going with those who may be able to help. At any rate panic and resentment never helps. Breathe and deal with the problem step by step.

We all wish you the best however it goes.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:57 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.1028 #16 · p.1028 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak wrote:
So it has been many hours, the charger is blinking but the battery is just cold and charger too. I have tried putting it in camera a few times but dead. The red led also does not blink as I put the battery in. I am not sure what it means but it is just close to driving me away from leica body. Just too much hassle for a fun activity. Will leave the charger on for night and try tomorrow. It better come alive or everything is packed to ship out first thing monday.

I've had this problem before and the only way to fix it was to use another battery. Based on my experience once the camera responds to the new battery the old battery will work as well. I know this isn't much help to you and I agree its frustrating but however I do think once you get past these few quirks you will enjoy using the M. Since you are too far away from a Leica centre it might be best to send the entire package back and have their tech look at it. Before you send it make a video of your M not responding to the battery this way you have proof that its defective. I would imagine that the dealer who sold this to you will cover the return shipping.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1028 #17 · p.1028 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

M240 is superb machine and used today all over the world in every condition. Your's may have issue as any camera might. My advice is calm down. ...

We all wish you the best however it goes.

I will like to think how to set this right. Thanks for your advice. As for the firmware, it came with 1.0.0.12 and I updated it to 1.0.1.7 which is the latest on leica website hoping this would fix any issue there may be. Camera did work after this and i took several shots. I put battery for charging while reviewing shots and now the battery or camera is causing it to not come live. I will wait for Monday now.

Edited on Nov 15, 2014 at 11:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM
pandorf
• • •
p.1028 #18 · p.1028 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak wrote:

Send it back as its been a demo and needs to be sent to Leica USA for repair. Pop flash should not have let it go out the door with those issues even if it were a demo.

I hope your experience has not colored your decision to want to own the M.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1028 #19 · p.1028 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Love it Duane! Well done.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:41 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1028 #20 · p.1028 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Love it Duane! Well done.

+1

On tripod or handheld?

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.