1       2       3              1023      
       1025              2351       2352       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

SKumar25
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1024 #1 · p.1024 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for the likes and comments guys.

If I had to have the one lens, it would be the 35 Lux. It is my most versatile lens. 2nd choice would be the 50 Lux.

M240 + 35 Lux FLE

"Royal Enfield"

M240 + 21 SEM

Nov 12, 2014 at 02:04 AM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1024 #2 · p.1024 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Joakim - it's an interesting shot nonetheless... Is the tree made up of real branches fastened to the 'trunk'? If so, that must be a bit of work to arrange them in the right order by size...

Thanks, yes they are made up of real branches and they are quite good at it. Maybe I can deliver some more photos as work progress.

From below the tree.

Nov 12, 2014 at 02:58 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1024 #3 · p.1024 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, very nice NYC back in August series. I just can't help ask you about the look on couple of people in the shot. It seems the expression is of concern on probably you taking a picture of them. Is that what it is? I am asking because I would like to take this kinda shots but I just cant dare to take it coz I feel someone will come up to me and ask "hey what are you doing?" and in present times it seems everyone is kinda suspicious. I am just curious how you get the confidence to take such shots up close (relatively speaking). I would love to hear your approach.

BTW, hope to join in here more frequently, just placed order for m240. Next will be 35 fle.

Nov 12, 2014 at 08:50 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1024 #4 · p.1024 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak wrote:
Ron, very nice NYC back in August series. I just can't help ask you about the look on couple of people in the shot. It seems the expression is of concern on probably you taking a picture of them. Is that what it is? I am asking because I would like to take this kinda shots but I just cant dare to take it coz I feel someone will come up to me and ask "hey what are you doing?" and in present times it seems everyone is kinda suspicious. I am just curious how you get the confidence to
...Show more

The secret is not to care what the other people think. You need to have thick skin if you want to shoot street. However, as Henri used to say (Henri Cartier Bresson) you take one or two shots and you move on. You should not linger in the same place. Even when they see you taking the shot, the next moment you're gone, so they forget about it. If you stay there, they will inevitably come at you and you'll have some explaining to do

Btw when they make a worried or upset or annoyed expression, take another shot quickly. These are the best ones

PS. It is a good idea not to hide what you're doing. Do not shoot from the hip or hide. This is what makes people most suspicious.

Nov 12, 2014 at 09:39 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1024 #5 · p.1024 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
The secret is not to care what the other people think. You need to have thick skin if you want to shoot street. However, as Henri used to say (Henri Cartier Bresson) you take one or two shots and you move on. You should not linger in the same place. Even when they see you taking the shot, the next moment you're gone, so they forget about it. If you stay there, they will inevitably come at you and you'll have some explaining to do

Btw when they make a worried or upset or annoyed expression, take another shot
...Show more
I am guilty of shooting from hip and felt it would be very awkward to explain. I am sure it is not as bad as I think but just can't overcome the lack of confidence with 10k stuff in hand and a body built of 60lb.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Appreciated.

Nov 12, 2014 at 09:56 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1024 #6 · p.1024 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak wrote:
I am guilty of shooting from hip and felt it would be very awkward to explain. I am sure it is not as bad as I think but just can't overcome the lack of confidence with 10k stuff in hand and a body built of 60lb.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Appreciated.

You're most welcome!

Your post made me think of one more thing: body language and self confidence. I try to be matter of factly and self confident in my body language. Easier said than done

Looking forward to see your images very soon, and congrats for the new toy!

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1024 #7 · p.1024 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

35cron asph

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Werner_Utsch
• • • •
p.1024 #8 · p.1024 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

"Heiden Turm,
Kaiser Dom, Speyer"

L1021007-700.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Nov 13, 2014 at 06:00 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1024 #9 · p.1024 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Awesome shot Gary!

Nov 13, 2014 at 07:24 AM
rirakuma
• • •
p.1024 #10 · p.1024 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jfreak wrote:
Ron, very nice NYC back in August series. I just can't help ask you about the look on couple of people in the shot. It seems the expression is of concern on probably you taking a picture of them. Is that what it is? I am asking because I would like to take this kinda shots but I just cant dare to take it coz I feel someone will come up to me and ask "hey what are you doing?" and in present times it seems everyone is kinda suspicious. I am just curious how you get the confidence to
...Show more

I agree with what Edward has said, I think it's best to be upfront when shooting and not be a creep. If you are confident in your shooting abilities people will understand you have intent in your pictures. I also have problems with shooting strangers and I don't think this feeling will ever go away because I respect people's privacy and comfort zone. I have never had any bad experiences in shooting people but I have had some light confrontations. In those situations I find the best thing to do is to treat them with respect, maybe even show them the photo tell them what you like to do and such. If they are in a sour mood then I'm most likely going to get an angry response but I just stay calm and respect their feelings. I got into photography a few years ago and I was one of those people who disliked seeing photographers getting in people's faces for a picture so I know why they feel that way.

Nov 13, 2014 at 09:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jfreak
• •
p.1024 #11 · p.1024 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Rirakuma for your input. I agree with both you guys. I hope I can develop confidence and in general the welcome attitude for those kinda shots. May be with Leica in hands, it comes in a little naturally

Well, Please dont hate me for saying the following... Although I have placed the order on M and and waiting for funds to show up in my paypal to buy 35 FLE. I am getting doubtful each passing day over what this will offer compared to much cheaper a7 I have. I can agree with most arguments on feel of leica, build quality, artistic side, the joy of using leica etc but there are still some very significant point my left brain keep raising and that makes me little uncomfortable with myself.

You may ask, why do you buy then. The biggest reason I felt which prompted me buy this is coz I like leica lens for the size/weight and MANY TIMES, I find the light around face sort of wrapping as if I am using studio lights. I have not seen that with sony. Honestly, if I did not see this many times, I would not have made the purchase. I dont know what this is from but haven't seen that with sony. I have seem many times that a7 and my M8U show similar look but rarely a7 better then m8U other then resolution. You may say, you answered your own question but I say this is not enough to convince me spend 4times more on a system that is not even half reliable. The M electronic are not reliable. The thought does not come that a7 alone would be a risk coz it can go bad but with M8U I feel it and so is probably with new M. The calibration issues with Ms. How frequently I need to have that done. I have not used M8U for that much to answer this myself. I want to look through view finder for picture and the EVF in a7 is very inviting for it.

Here are some other things that may be small for most of the guys here but I do see them having some merit.

- A7 is much lighter and I can hold this with one hand easily with 50 summilux and take a shot. Leica is not that light and of course carrying weight over shoulder is more.
- The tilt screen is very handy for taking shots where camera needs to by away from my eye level. A lot of shots of my kids are taken this way (6 month guy is rarely at my eye level).
- EVF on sony is very clear and HD. I can even see the finest details through it on the subject, especially with 50 lux on zoom.
- Its cheaper, way cheaper so I am not under the stress with this thing out on street. The day I get a scratch on M, I would be very sad.
More later.. gotta go

Nov 13, 2014 at 02:15 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1024 #12 · p.1024 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I don't know if my experience will help or not here jfreak ( I don't own an M240), however here goes!

I bought an M8 in December 2012 when I already had lots of £* spent on a Canon 5D MkIII and good lenses. I immediately liked the RF shooting style, despite wearing glasses, and the resolution and tones that I saw in M8 photos were very satisfying (I only had a CV35/1.4 then).

My reason for buying an M8 was totally influenced by the photos I saw on this thread, thinking back in particular then to Edward Karaa's Thai street shots with Zeiss lenses and Ron Scheffler's varied input (talent helps of course!).

Fast forward 18-24 months: my 5DIII gets used a couple of times a year for major Motorsport events only (I will probably sell the body), I own an A7R as of Feb '14 and I now have an M9 and many lenses, but none in the league of the 35FLE or Summilux 50ASPH.
My A7R is more versatile than the M9 (I have lenses from 20- 300mm) however I enjoy shooting with the M9 more. I also loved the M8. I was concerned about sensor longevity after buying an M9 that needed a sensor replacement (paid by Leica but taking 6 mths), so sold it, then bought another when I realised what I had given up!

Back to your case in point: look through this thread and perhaps like me you will see many images that simply have that Leica magic. I am even thinking myself of saving for a Lux50ASPH after seeing that shot taken by Katie of junior league baseball (?). I have seen 35FLE shots that also impressed (eg airfrogusmc's street shots) and those 28Cron trail-biking shots by uhoh7 had great character. Your M240 will also give you great versatility to shoot Leica R lenses should you wish, albeit in live-view.

Nov 13, 2014 at 03:29 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1024 #13 · p.1024 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Very nice Gary!
SKumar - Like the 21 SEM, particularly the first one.
Joakim - thanks for the details!

jfreak wrote:
...Show more
edwardkaraa wrote:

Btw when they make a worried or upset or annoyed expression, take another shot
...Show more

Pretty much what Edward and Rocky said. The only person on the ferry that I noticed being aware of my photography was the guy in the blue shirt in the last image, in part because he was standing right beside me. At the time I did sense a bit of a vibe from him, perhaps of being a bit in his personal space and snapping away during the relatively short crossing. It was a Sunday afternoon and almost everyone on the ferry was some sort of tourist, perhaps with the exception of the guy I was beside. Funny thing is, the girls sitting on the bench in a few of the images were on the same ferry I took back in the evening - quite the coincidence!

If I'm in a place like NYC, I don't feel that uneasy because there are a million tourists around and everyone is taking photos. IMO, it's all fair game. If I was to wander the streets of Maize, I'd feel a lot more conspicuous. The worst is trying to take photos in a park with kids running around and paranoid parents thinking you're some perv. Unfortunately many parents don't seem to know that anyone out in public in the US/Canada is not protected by some special privacy laws. Shortly after getting my Leica a few years ago I was at a local historical site and a kid ~6-7 years old ran up to me with a gun - a toy gun, of course. He 'shot' me, so I 'shot' him back with the Leica. We ended up having a bit of a shootout, and it was all in good fun. Of course the mom then asks me what I'm doing... meanwhile her kid is running around with a gun shooting people.

Anyway, I don't do a lot of 'people on the streets photos' so haven't run into too many negative encounters and nothing serous so far. I shoot a lot without looking through the camera, though not at the hip either. Bringing the camera up to the eye seems to trigger a reaction in people's peripheral vision and can change the nature of the composition.

There's also the theory that if you're going to shoot in an area, then spend time there and blend in as part of the scene, rather than just showing up and shooting your way through it.

As for your feelings about the Leica vs. the a7... I think with owning a Leica system you have to suspend financial logic to a certain extent, unless you're well off enough not to have to worry about dropping $5K on lenses. The other 'belief' to suspend is the notion that spending a lot of money will buy you perfection (and reliability - I sense an analogy comparing performance vehicles here somewhere). Each of us has subjective reasons. No doubt the a7 series is extremely popular, an example of which is the speed of progression and level of participation in the a7 image thread here... That said, I've used all three versions and IMO, it's a compromise system. The UI is a disaster for my likes. The camera is too small, the buttons and dials are crammed in and annoying in use. Too many button presses for some functions, or menu diving. Changing settings, like shutter/aperture is too laggy. Most M-system lenses don't perform as well on the a7 series as they do on a digital M. This isn't necessarily obvious in nearer distance scenes, but becomes noticeable with technically demanding scenes and wider angle lenses. To fully appreciate this, though, you need to 'see it for yourself' by shooting the same lenses on a digital M.

The only a7 flavor I half-liked was the a7S primarily because of the fully electronic shutter.

Bottom line is that none of us here probably really *need* to use Leica to produce our images. My thinking is that similar to a road trip, the process/journey is a very relevant influence on the overall photographic experience. I love producing satisfying images, but I love it even more when using equipment I enjoy.

You're right that the M240, or M9, or M8 all have electronic quirks that can affect reliability. So far no Leica I've used has outright died on me (knock wood), but they've all had random problems that briefly affected shooting. And I've missed images. So far none that were absolutely critical. With the a7 cameras I also missed opportunities, but because I was fumbling with the UI. Maybe with time I'd become more proficient with the a7s, but it still won't match the Leica simplicity. Meanwhile, extensive use of the M has made me better at knowing the factors that trigger its quirks, and how best to avoid them.

The High Line... aka - where to photograph fellow tourists.

M240 & 28 Cron, ZM50/2, 2x21SEM, 90 Summarit

Nov 13, 2014 at 04:07 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1024 #14 · p.1024 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I truly appreciate all you guys for your time in writing in reply to my posts. I think I needed to hear all this. I am not sure if it's the cost per se that bothers me or this my own concept of value in purchase. I guess, like Ron said, sometimes you have to put this value logic away coz this logic is perhaps not as perfect as I (we) like to think. I like the analogy of the cars very much coz this (flawed) VALUE logic will very much apply to that as well.

Not many tourist in the middle of nowhere Maize.

So, once again, thank you very much to all of you. I hope to put some shots this saturday if I received my M240.

Nov 13, 2014 at 05:40 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1024 #15 · p.1024 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
I love producing satisfying images, but I love it even more when using equipment I enjoy.

Very well said Ron!

Nov 13, 2014 at 05:49 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1024 #16 · p.1024 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

35cron asph

21SEM

21SEM

21SEM

Nov 13, 2014 at 08:54 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1024 #17 · p.1024 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Jfreak, regarding the A7 point, I agree with Ron about everything he said, the UI, button layout, general feel... etc. I have had one for 3 months and I was angry at Leica that time because my M9 sensor developed chicken pox it was sent to Solms and I bought an A7. In my opinion, the worst thing about it is the IQ. The lossy compression in raw is unforgivable in such camera. I have plenty of photos with onion rings in the sky because of it. The sensor cover is a disaster. With my M glass and even with Sony glass, the borders are weak and the corners are mushy. The sensor reflections are a huge defect. The inability to produce starbursts and the ugly way it reproduces light sources are unacceptable. So from my own experience, despite all the flaws of Leica, they put so much effort in image quality that no one else does. At the end this is what really counts.

Nov 13, 2014 at 09:31 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1024 #18 · p.1024 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

PP question:

How many of you guys like to use the blacks slider to get solid blacks. I find the result looks very appealing and improves the 3D rendition. However, the histogram looks really weird thereafter. My normal PP is very minimal. I only use the WB/tint, exposure and contrast sliders. However, I'm finding keeping the contrast at 0 and playing with exposure and blacks gives more film like results and preserves the mid tones better (which is more pleasing to my eyes).

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1024 #19 · p.1024 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I typically don't mess around too much with the Black slider except when I process B&Ws. I find it can create a very harsh type of output. If anything, I usually decrease the black slider - especially in harsh sunlight and contrasty scenes.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1024 #20 · p.1024 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
I typically don't mess around too much with the Black slider except when I process B&Ws. I find it can create a very harsh type of output. If anything, I usually decrease the black slider - especially in harsh sunlight and contrasty scenes.

Very interesting points Gary, and this shows the different "tastes" of different users. I have always liked solid blacks in my photos since slide film days, and the M9 didn't need much help to emulate that. The M(240) however needs a lot of persuasion

In fact, it's almost impossible to get solid blacks in some shots with the contrast slider alone, without ruining the shot that is.

Nov 14, 2014 at 06:25 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.