1       2       3              1020      
       1022              1382       1383       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1021 #1 · p.1021 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Charlie - the 5K screen is very appealing. How does it work for other non-imaging applications?

That's the shocker, Ron.

It's fantastic for all the normal stuff, including surfing. The web looks way nicer than the normal 27 TBD or 30" CHD.

For those who need perfect calibration, well they will need to plug their Eizos in the back .

Apple has done an incredible job with scaling, so your icons are good size and normal windows are rendered at 2400 x something or other, while the desktop backgrounds are ungodly sharp. But the normal stuff has extra pixels behind it so the web looks creamy like you can't believe. Low rez youtube looks better on the 5k than any other machine i've seen.

I did not understand pixel noise till it's absent. This thing will really spoil you. Looking at images is just mind blowing because the detail draws you close and the pixel count actually supports it. At 14 inches distance eye to screen, it's very very smooth and sharp. Peak is probably about 24 inches.

The default factory calibration is totally M9, high contrast, slide-filmesqe, with very rich and subtle blacks.

Flickr will really up the rez for viewing on the 5k, images look very crisp.

L1024336 by unoh7, 35/1.2

the 35/1.2 is really fun on the street.

Nov 02, 2014 at 04:52 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1021 #2 · p.1021 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, thanks for the ZM 35/1.4 report!
[currency] 2200 is a lot of money but the lens seem considerably better than the CV35/1.2 so maybe... for me it depends on what cameras there will be available, besides of the digital Leicas.

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:26 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1021 #3 · p.1021 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Charlie, ocean!

Nice documentary coverage of Halloween in Idaho, Charlie!
Ocean, the red fruits have so much 3D I could reach through the screen and touch them.
Gary, love the colors in the 1st shot and the composition and light in the 2nd shot.

Nov 02, 2014 at 10:30 AM
lostinjapan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1021 #4 · p.1021 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi All,

I am fortunate enough that my job takes me to Hiroshima several times a year. This time I took a long late night walk around the city centre with the M.

Ryan

lostinjapan 2013

Peace Fountain from under the Museum 21mm Elmarit ASPH

lostinjapan 2013

Righa Hotel Voightlander 12mm Heliar

lostinjapan 2013

Hiroshima Castle Elmarit 21mm ASPH

lostinjapan 2013

Atomic Bomb Dome 21mm Elmarit ASPH

Ghosts at the Centoaph 21mm Elmarit ASPH

Nov 02, 2014 at 12:21 PM
lostinjapan
• • •
p.1021 #5 · p.1021 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

More from Hiroshima, a study of the Peace fountain in BW all shot on the M240 and 21mm Elmarit ASPH.

Ryan

lostinjapan 2013

Hiroshima Memorial Fountain

lostinjapan 2013

lostinjapan 2013

Nov 04, 2014 at 05:32 AM
freitz
• •
p.1021 #6 · p.1021 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice Tagging for Email notifications.

Nov 04, 2014 at 02:14 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1021 #7 · p.1021 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

One from the archives. Summer evening with M9 and the 24 Summilux

Nov 04, 2014 at 09:42 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1021 #8 · p.1021 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

2014 Cyclocross UCI Pan-Am races w/M8 Biogon 35

Nov 04, 2014 at 09:52 PM
freitz
• •
p.1021 #9 · p.1021 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice Really like the biker shot.

Nov 04, 2014 at 09:58 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1021 #10 · p.1021 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks freitz :-)

Nov 04, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1021 #11 · p.1021 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ZM85/2 for sale... Edward - you need a backup?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1320527

Nov 05, 2014 at 03:49 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1021 #12 · p.1021 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
ZM85/2 for sale... Edward - you need a backup?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1320527

Wow! Great condition too! Price is about right for the condition. Highly recommended to anyone who is interested in probably the sharpest lens ever made in the M mount.

Nov 05, 2014 at 04:26 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1021 #13 · p.1021 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

50lux ASPH

Nov 05, 2014 at 04:33 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1021 #14 · p.1021 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Great images guys.
Here are two more from previous shot trip to Davenpoint.
28cron&M9

Nov 05, 2014 at 06:46 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.1021 #15 · p.1021 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
Great info Ron and shots too!

Unfortuneatly I spent all my ZM 35/1.4 money on a 5k retina iMac ---which i really love.

Imagine opening an image in LR, and being able to instantly see the sharpness and noise levels from the full view--it's something else. Lens character is suddenly very apparent. Really can't overstate how clean and sharp an M9 image looks on the thing

Congrats on the 5k I was very tempted to get one, but unfortunately it wouldn't work for me. I'm a PC user and there seems to be some compatibility issues with windows and I need significantly more storage space than the max available. Still very tempting though.

Instead I got a Samsung UD970, 32" 4k (3840x2160). I'm exceptionally happy with it - like you say, it's really something to view an M9 image at 100%. The colors are also unbelievably good (100% sRGB, 99.5% Adobe RGB). For somebody weighing between a new lens or a high end monitor, go with the monitor - the difference between my previous setup (dual mid range 1920x1200) is just mindblowing. At half the price of a typical Leica lens, it's a steal.

That's the good part. Now for the bad.

First of all what I am having difficulties with though is well, this site. All browsers insist to resize the images together with the text and it well.. looks like crap. If you zoom out so that the images are the correct size, the text is too small to read...

Has anybody found a good way to look at this site on an UHD monitor? Generally speaking it seems to me that the hardware is a step ahead of software when it comes to high resolution monitors and DPI scaling.

A second problem is that my standard sized images 1200px width + border are now tiny! They look great in terms of resolution, but it's like looking at a photo on your mobile. I'm used to (after scaling) to see my actual pixels and often manually do adjustments with sharpening etc. This is now impossible as, well, the pixels are too small. At the same time most people viewing the images will do so on older, lower resolution monitors and see the pixels that I don't see. So it may look really nice on my monitor, but crappy on one where you see the pixels better - I'm stuck with a small high res image while most regular users will see a large low res image...

I don't really have a solution for that. When people look at the same image with different PPIs, the experience will be very different. It makes issues such as color difference between monitors to be trivial. Things like the sharpness of a lens become irrelevant and the overall character becomes different. From a photographer's point of view this is very frustrating. Usually you want to have creative control over your photos and tailor the viewer experience to your artistic wishes. Now with monitors having vastly varying PPI (from ~70-400ppi) we have a new important dimension that we have no control over.. and I think it is really a problem. Zooming in on the image does not by the way help as the scaling algorithms are very destructive when it comes to IQ.

Anyway, to end this off, a couple of fall photos from Stockholm. If you are on a calibrated monitor, I know you'll see the colors correctly as for the rest.. well, they're too small on my monitor for me to know

Edit: In chrome the images in this post look horrible unless I zoom out to 50%... To give you an idea of the size of things, here's a screenshot:

Nov 05, 2014 at 09:49 AM
rirakuma
• • •
p.1021 #16 · p.1021 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I use firefox and you can custom set zoom on different sites so the pictures looks evenly sized. I also find it very annoying to conquer the DPI effect of HD monitor although mine is rated much lower than yours. I don't think there's any fix to this but I've set a custom DPI on Windows to help view text a bit easier, it still hurts my eyes and I wonder if it has a negative impact on my eyesight.

denoir wrote:
Congrats on the 5k I was very tempted to get one, but unfortunately it wouldn't work for me. I'm a PC user and there seems to be some compatibility issues with windows and I need significantly more storage space than the max available. Still very tempting though.

Instead I got a Samsung UD970, 32" 4k (3840x2160). I'm exceptionally happy with it - like you say, it's really something to view an M9 image at 100%. The colors are also unbelievably good (100% sRGB, 99.5% Adobe RGB). For somebody weighing between a new lens or a high end monitor, go with
...Show more

Nov 05, 2014 at 01:40 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1021 #17 · p.1021 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Congrats Denior!

Looks like a fantastic monitor

My main biz is helping people with their computers, so I know what you are talking about.

I was worried that would also be the case with the 5K iMac. But they have gone to alot of trouble to make it not so, running a "dual resolution", so as I write this post it's 2569x1440 in the Safari window. Yet the desktop just to the side is cycling through images at 5120x2880.

I've been going through my back images and resizing good candidates at 16x9 and 5120, and it's pretty fun

anyway to your issue, I think I would run a second monitor at lower rez for the web. Windows simply is not capable of scaling well at these UHD rezes, while Yosemite has been reworked to scale up: but even that needs some real configuration magic by them.....tyg not me

In the end your monitor will likely be better for printing and color gamut, while the Imac is sharper and better for day to day use as a single monitor.

I wish I had better advice. Please let us know how you deal with the issue

Daylight bokeh with CV 35/1.2 WO:

L1024363 by unoh7, on Flickr

Strange Fruit:

L1024366 by unoh7, on Flickr

AT f/5.6

Little House in Hailey by unoh7, on Flickr

without the hood the lens is bit smaller , so I did a flare test:

No Hood by unoh7, on Flickr

seems very good with flare

Nov 05, 2014 at 05:05 PM
SKumar25
• • • •
p.1021 #18 · p.1021 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Yesterday evening's sunset.

M240 + 50 Lux Asph

Nov 05, 2014 at 09:19 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1021 #19 · p.1021 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Luka, congrats on the new Samsung monitor I have just recently updated my NEC PA241W to a NEC PA271W, with similar issues with everything being reduced in size. I would love the Samsung UD970, but still having the PA241W (24"), and PA272W (27"), for a lot of normal work, I still prefer the 24" with the native resolution. Amazing shots !!

Charlie, I agree the idea having dual monitor setup with Windows is the best solution for now!

Nov 06, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1021 #20 · p.1021 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I have also been eyeing the 5k iMac....

Here is a pic which to me really conveys the feeling of being in such a grand cathedral. I think I may try a B&W conversion sometime as well.

50lux ASPH

Nov 06, 2014 at 04:54 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password