Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1009      
       1011              1041       1042       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1010 #1 · p.1010 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
If you find an adapter for it and put a cheap mass produced Canon kit zoom lens on an M, then I will notify Interpool, FBI and Scotland Yard about it Otherwise just enjoy a Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander or any other M or LTM mount lens.

Better start notifying!!!

I will be adding a

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563674-REG/Novoflex_LEMCAN_LEMCAN_Canon_FD_Lens.html

to my Monochrom kit, but I need to get the F-mount adapter first. Though I will have to rely on DOF markings on the lens for focusing.

My rule of thumb any lens I have should be adaptable to any camera I use. Though it doesn't necessarily mean I will use it, but I refuse to be limited in any manner.

Aug 07, 2014 at 03:11 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1010 #2 · p.1010 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
If you buy an M240 and then stick a voigtlander 35/1.4 on it will you be arrested?

it's ok if you use the single coated one and only shoot b&w.

i might choose the canon ltm 35/2 instead though, but you have probably had enough of my advice on 35mm lenses...

Aug 07, 2014 at 05:32 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1010 #3 · p.1010 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

sebboh wrote:
it's ok if you use the single coated one and only shoot b&w.

i might choose the canon ltm 35/2 instead though, but you have probably had enough of my advice on 35mm lenses...

I always listen to advice

Is that an official rule re: single coated & B&W, or a bit of a poke at the idea itself? Or a better way of asking that: are the colours a bit uninspiring, and the SA gives you a bit of a more traditional rendering which works especially well in B&W?

Aug 07, 2014 at 05:38 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1010 #4 · p.1010 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Richard, it depends on the lens but most single coated ones have low contrast, and also plenty of aberrations (due to the old design), so they tend to be more suitable for b/w. However it is also interesting to shoot old lenses in color and try to emulate old films look with film packs.

Aug 07, 2014 at 05:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1010 #5 · p.1010 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
I always listen to advice

Is that an official rule re: single coated & B&W, or a bit of a poke at the idea itself? Or a better way of asking that: are the colours a bit uninspiring, and the SA gives you a bit of a more traditional rendering which works especially well in B&W?

that's the official rule, but only if one absolutely can't afford the lux pre-asph.

but yeah, i don't like the cv's colors that much, or contrast + SA combo. focus tends to be a bit wonky too due to focus shift.

Aug 07, 2014 at 06:52 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1010 #6 · p.1010 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

please don't report me:

CV 35/1.4 MC with a mild overcast sky:

L1016946 by unoh7, @f/8

L1016860 by unoh7, @ f/1.4

SA is huge but generally immaterial when used at such speed. At f8, while there is some minute waviness in resolution, it's not easy to spot, and you are left with the distortion issue, which does seem to be quite addressable in PP if need be.

color issues? Maybe on the M240. I found the colors fine on M9

L1001442 by unoh7, f/1.4

L1000923 by unoh7, f/8 uncorrected for distortion.

nice thing about this lens is that it does pretty well on the A7 too. But the bottom line is that you can easily go indoors with the M9 and this lens right in to the dim. Calibration on mine seems excellent.

For more Canon 35/2 like performance there is the skopar, which is pretty good also on the M9.

I think the real reason these lenses are seen less on the 240, is that the leica 35s are not that dear, except for the FLE, which at least gives you the best 35 ever made.

So why not have a nice cron 35 on your 240? It's more simple lust than snobbiness

thought experiment: would you rather have:
m240 and C-biogon
or
M9 and FLE?
(cost is roughly the same used)
frankly in my research the C-biogon had the most fans of any particular 35 with M users!

Aug 07, 2014 at 09:30 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1010 #7 · p.1010 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Not sure how much the CV35/1.4 and 40/1.4 differ, but being a 40/1.4 owner along with the Canon 35/2 LTM, to me the Canon definitely feels more vintage wide open. There's a degree of veiling flare combined with SA that reminds me of technical aspects of 1960s-70s photography that I don't see in the richer colours of the CV (granted, mine is multicoated). But, stop down the 35/2 to 5.6 and it's difficult to tell apart from a modern lens, other than slightly lower contrast and a cooler color quality. Same goes for the Canon 50/1.4 LTM. I'd really like to try a 35 Lux pre-ASPH sometime...

I do like the CV40, especially for people photos, but it seems not vintage enough to me and more on the weird side with massive focus shift and strange field curvature.

Though size is something to consider, I'd look for a used CV35/1.2 over buying a new CV35/1.4.

Aug 07, 2014 at 11:40 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1010 #8 · p.1010 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
I do like the CV40, especially for people photos, but it seems not vintage enough to me and more on the weird side with massive focus shift and strange field curvature.

this is one of the main issues i have with the cv 35/1.4 it has the flaws of a much older lens but the contrast of a modern lens.

i agree with charlie about getting the m9 rather than the m240 and a better 35mm if not necessarily his lens recommendations.

i still think richard might like the canon ltm better or even better a pre-asph cron, but probably not one of the zeisses or the FLE given his experience with the rx1.

Aug 07, 2014 at 11:58 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.1010 #9 · p.1010 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, Gary, Joakim, Katie, Michael, Charlie, Phil and everyone... great shots! I have been watching and liking. I have not traveled for the last 8 months being very busy, so not a lot of shots either!

Last week, I have traded my spare M240 for a A7s to compliment the A7r, now to be used as a backup. I only reason I kept a backup M240 was to ensure I still had a camera, when it needed the occasional re-calibration/repair and then needed to be sent back to Solms. It appears the servicing and recalibration will still be in Solms for the foreseeable future for the M240. This is one advantage of the M9, as it can usually be serviced within a few days!

I still have my M240 which I do love BTW. I still feel the M240 is much better as an overall package, ergonomics/speed/improved ISO/LV compared to the M9. The second hand prices for the M240 are coming down too.

As mentioned already, the CV 35/1.4 SC is excellent for B&W work, as it yields great tonality. It may be too bland for most people, as they more accustomed to the higher contrast. The CV 35/1.4 MC would the only lens I would consider for color work. As Ron is suggesting the CV 35/1.2 is a great lens and plays well with the A7's.

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:22 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1010 #10 · p.1010 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

21SEM

21SEM

21SEM

Aug 08, 2014 at 03:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1010 #11 · p.1010 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

sebboh wrote:
this is one of the main issues i have with the cv 35/1.4 it has the flaws of a much older lens but the contrast of a modern lens.

i agree with charlie about getting the m9 rather than the m240 and a better 35mm if not necessarily his lens recommendations.

i still think richard might like the canon ltm better or even better a pre-asph cron, but probably not one of the zeisses or the FLE given his experience with the rx1.

Are your thoughts on the 40/1.4 and 35/1.4 based around the MC versions? Just curious really. It's good to have such feedback though. I do like small aperture shooting as well. I don't get the impression you get biting, ultra high contrast detail when you stop these lenses down, but maybe I should research further. If the "look" is limited to only wide aperture / wide open shooting, that is quite limiting.

I wouldn't be adverse to getting the pre-asph 35/1.4 as it's a little over 1K here which isn't such a huge amount considering I use very few lenses (1 or 2 mostly). But I saw a sample the other day, wide open, shot closer in, and it just looked very "special effect"... immensely soft. Here it is, from Steve Huff's site:

Is that normal? Seems softer than even my old Minolta stuff. But maybe contrast adjustment would be enough to pull it back. Maybe I'm just being too picky though.

FWIW the 35/1.2 would just be too big for me. And I think I'd like the extra option of shooting at 1.4 over f2, when possible. Kind of why I like the CV 35/1.4 and pre-asph as they do that but remain really small, and give a somewhat more classic look depending upon who you ask

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:41 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1010 #12 · p.1010 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

uhoh7 wrote:
thought experiment: would you rather have:
m240 and C-biogon
or
M9 and FLE?
(cost is roughly the same used)
frankly in my research the C-biogon had the most fans of any particular 35 with M users!

M240 and Zeiss 35/2.8? Whilst I do like small aperture shooting I think I would miss not having a wider than 2.8 option, given that I wouldn't likely bring another lens with me.

M9 and 35/1.4 Asph? Not sure which one that is But I don't know, I still feel like "neither" is the answer to your question :o)

I get the point though. A little silly spending on a camera and then cheaping out on the lens. I was just thinking as a starting point, and for something that would be small and render.

charles.K wrote:
Last week, I have traded my spare M240 for a A7s to compliment the A7r, now to be used as a backup. .

You mean your first thought wasn't to send it to me? How rude

EDIT: I was outbid, so no need for a lens yet

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:52 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1010 #13 · p.1010 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
Are your thoughts on the 40/1.4 and 35/1.4 based around the MC versions? Just curious really. It's good to have such feedback though. I do like small aperture shooting as well. I don't get the impression you get biting, ultra high contrast detail when you stop these lenses down, but maybe I should research further. If the "look" is limited to only wide aperture / wide open shooting, that is quite limiting.

yeah, my thoughts are based on the MC versions (all i've used). i've mostly just seen b&w stuff with SC version (which i've been pretty happy with).

ricardovaste wrote:
I wouldn't be adverse to getting the pre-asph 35/1.4 as it's a little over 1K here which isn't such a huge amount considering I use very few lenses (1 or 2 mostly). But I saw a sample the other day, wide open, shot closer in, and it just looked very "special effect"... immensely soft. Here it is, from Steve Huff's site:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/image7.jpg

Is that normal? Seems softer than even my old Minolta stuff. But maybe contrast adjustment would be enough to pull it back. Maybe I'm just being too picky though.

FWIW the 35/1.2 would just be too big for me. And
...Show more

that looks about normal for an unprocessed f/1.4 shot with strong overhead lighting, wide open the lens has a lot of SA and is very susceptible to flare.

i really like the the lux pre-asph and could certainly live with it as my only lens (but then i like the rx1 lens a little bit more).

it's certainly glowier than your minolta, though i definitely wouldn't call it unsharp. here's a shot with it at f/1.4:

and roughly the same shot at f/2:

you can see a definite increase in contrast at f/2 but here are 100% crops from the f/1.4 shot.
center:

near the corner:

it's not blistering sharp performance, i find the edge performance pretty amazing for a lens designed in 1961.

a wide open portrait (obviously i added a bunch of vignetting):

and stopped down quite a ways:

apologies to all for bombing the leica thread with images taken on an a7.

i suspect it would look a bit crisper and maybe with better corners on an m240.

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:02 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1010 #14 · p.1010 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Oh my! Thank you for the samples, and hopefully people will forgive your a7 shots ;o) given that they are with a classic Leica lens...

That was kind of what I thought, it was just "unprocessed" and would clean up better. The look of the tree root/trunk is exactly what I like...

TBH the 35/1.4 pre-asph seems like the lens to get based on your real-world results. I think I would probably just TRY the CV first, simply as it would save me around 1000 and give me sometime to earn back some money (don't really have anything I could sell/trade).

Random question: is it easy to buy/add some sort of focus lever/nub onto these lenses?

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:09 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1010 #15 · p.1010 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
Oh my! Thank you for the samples, and hopefully people will forgive your a7 shots ;o) given that they are with a classic Leica lens...

That was kind of what I thought, it was just "unprocessed" and would clean up better. The look of the tree root/trunk is exactly what I like...

TBH the 35/1.4 pre-asph seems like the lens to get based on your real-world results. I think I would probably just TRY the CV first, simply as it would save me around 1000 and give me sometime to earn back some money (don't really have anything I could sell/trade).

Random question:
...Show more

that sounds sensible.

do you mean because the lens lost it's own or something in addition to the tab they come with?

i've gotten these to replace the crappy one that the 40 cron comes with. seems identical to what the lux and cron pre-asph have.

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:16 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1010 #16 · p.1010 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Oh I didn't realise some came with tabs, but thank you, that is what I meant - I'll make a note of that for the future.

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:23 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1010 #17 · p.1010 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

21SEM

21SEM

Aug 09, 2014 at 12:22 AM
tophoto.
• •
p.1010 #18 · p.1010 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Curious if anyone has experience with both a rigid and v5 50 cron on an m9, I am looking to make the purchase and add a 2nd cron to my kit but am on the fence between these two. Which would some of you choose?

Aug 09, 2014 at 02:42 AM
_julian_
• •
p.1010 #19 · p.1010 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sigh.. I really need a 21mm SEM. There's something very unique to the color and rendering and not discounting the skill of the operator. Beautiful images.

Aug 09, 2014 at 04:09 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1010 #20 · p.1010 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Just curious what M240 user experiences on this board are with the locking-up/freezing of the camera? I've heard it's nothing to do with what cards are used but simply the processor not quite being up to it? Even with latest firmware. Is this isolated or widespread ?

Aug 09, 2014 at 01:41 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password