Upload & Sell: On
p.1001 #1 · p.1001 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Come on back Charles - we miss you!

Sep 27, 2014 at 02:54 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1001 #2 · p.1001 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Apologies for the abundance of street graffiti but I really enjoyed the variety....

35cron asph

21SEM

21SEM

21SEM

35cron asph

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:38 AM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1001 #3 · p.1001 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Great shots all!

Edward, street dentist? Are they there everyday? Interesting.
Charlie, what's a Karaagon 35/2? Enjoying your Fall color sets, really nice.
Gary, those earlier ZM18 shots are fantastic, especially the one with the boats on the bottom right and the other on p.1044. How does this lens resolve compared to 21SEM? Are those graffiti pics from downtown Calgary?
Luka, congrats on your baby! Excellent pics and processing as always.
Michael, excellent set with 35CronV1. All really nice.

Even CharlesK has been missing lately?

Photokina, specifically Leica's recent announcement of new products could have perked my interest in photography slightly. M60 is a nice concept but I think I can live with switching off shot preview on M240 to save some $$?. X(Typ113) looks beautiful and tempting. Finally Zeiss releases ZM 35 1.4, maybe a ZM 50 1.4 next?

A few today with Summarit-M 5cm f/1.5

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:42 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1001 #4 · p.1001 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hey Joe! The ZM18 is a great lens and is exceeding my expectations. It is super sharp, corner-to-corner from WO onwards. Still a bit of residual color cast in some situations but in most cases it is unnoticeable. I like my 21SEM just a little bit better but they are actually quite close in performance and also the level of contrast between the two. The grafitti shots are from a recent trip to Budapest and I'm sure most are starting to get a bit tired of them. We don't get much good grafitti here in Calgary so I really enjoyed it. I may as well break the news to you - Mr. Charles K sold both his M240 bodies. Don't take it too hard, I'm sure he will be back - just a matter of time.

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:03 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.1001 #5 · p.1001 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, thanks for the info.

Gary Clennan wrote:
Mr. Charles K sold both his M240 bodies. Don't take it too hard, I'm sure he will be back - just a matter of time.

?? What was the reason?

Hard to believe but I hope he will be back. The other camera he uses is an electronic toy, gets obsolete in a flash and he may be tired of upgrading every 3 months

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:11 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1001 #6 · p.1001 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

denoir wrote:
Long time no see guys I'm about 500 pages behind in this thread but really awsome shots on the past few pages.

I have not been doing much photography lately, mostly because I've been too busy changing diapers - our son August was born end of July and my focus has been entirely on that.

Anyway, we took a road trip to Denmark a couple of weeks ago to show him to the family (my wife is Danish) and I brought along the M9 and actually took some photos.

In somewhat random order:

To be honest, as a first time parent what shocked
...Show more

congrats luka!

love the last shot.

if you think the logistics are bad now, just wait till you are transporting multiple kids and/or them + their friends with all the necessary car seats and stuff to satisfy they're basic needs.

stroller walks are great for photography due to the extra carrying capacity but terrible if you need to actually run errands along the way or want to travel over something other than nice pavement. i ended up just carrying kids everywhere or putting them in a backpack/bellypack. good for upper body strength, but bad for the back...

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:27 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1001 #7 · p.1001 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:44 AM
Werner_Utsch
• • •
p.1001 #8 · p.1001 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

"Where"

L1020799-603.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Sep 27, 2014 at 06:37 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1001 #9 · p.1001 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Gary and Joe,for the kind words, even though I have been tempted by the dark side I still have all my M lenses, and I will sit on the side line, as I only use the A7s/A7r depending on the resolution I need. For travelling I like to only have one system, as you then have redundancy, and my wife Marisa loves to use A7s now.

I still think the M240 is one the best options using M lenses, and the 24 MP is perfect compromise with no optical filter.

Charlie, been loving your mountain series
Katie, I always really like the perspective in your images!
Edward, I always enjoy your street images from Bangkok!
Michael, love your series of your son!
Gary, I have really been enjoying your excellent street series!
Joe, really nice set, particularly #1 and 2
Werner, great stuff!
Allen, very nice!

So many great images here

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:25 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1001 #10 · p.1001 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Gary, thanks for the info.

?? What was the reason?

Hard to believe but I hope he will be back. The other camera he uses is an electronic toy, gets obsolete in a flash and he may be tired of upgrading every 3 months

Yeah, he had better go back to the more permanently obsolete Leicas

Sep 27, 2014 at 08:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.1001 #11 · p.1001 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Thank you Gary and Joe,for the kind words, even though I have been tempted by the dark side I still have all my M lenses, and I will sit on the side line, as I only use the A7s/A7r depending on the resolution I need. For travelling I like to only have one system, as you then have redundancy, and my wife Marisa loves to use A7s now.

I still think the M240 is one the best options using M lenses, and the 24 MP is perfect compromise with no optical filter.

Charlie, been loving your mountain series
Katie, I
...Show more

Charles, It is pain to see you leave. I can understand the hassle of multi system, Last Chinese new year, I went back to China with M9 50lux, 35cron and RX1 and A7 with 55FE, 80-200Leica R. It is pain for me to bring them all or even more pain to decide leave which one out. This summer, I went to Zion, I bring A7, NEX7, RX1 and Leica M9 and a bunch of lens, feel the pain again.

After the trip, I decide simplify my travel system, The first one to go is A7, this may surprise many people here given the popularity of Alpha system, but I really willing to take weight, size hit from D810/D800 to exchange some key ergonomics and IQ improvements such as non-compressed RAW, zero delay shutter, zero delay OVF, responsive LCD, zoom, bigger button, and ISO64 etc...

I decide for my national park travel, I might just bring D810 with zoom or a few lens and RX1. And having R fast glass with it for my close range family portrait.

However, If I went to City around or Europe, I will only bring Leica with a few lens. Rangefinder shooting is really shine with a lot of thing. Shooting fast glass, it focus fast and more accurate than my SLR system especially around 2-3m distance. The system Achilles heel IMO is shooting fast glass WO at MFD with off center subject. But that is a narrow limitation and still can be managed with experience.

However the system is really shine shooting stop down or WA to catch moment. It is really helpful for me to observe the scene, prepare the shooting etc... This is most valuable merit of rangefinder system. It train me to crop world around me. For the above set with my son on his way to school, many shots won't happen if I have D810 with me.

I look forward to having you back.

Gary, Another beautiful set.
Joe, very nice BW tone, where are your S2 shots? I want see more.
Werner, Very nice mood.

Sep 27, 2014 at 08:06 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.1001 #12 · p.1001 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

freaklikeme wrote:
Congrats on the new arrival!

And if you went up a couple of sizes on the stroller, you could probably just drive that.

Thanks Brad. Yeah, I'm starting to appreciate why tiny 'umbrella' strollers are so popular. It was first when we took the road trip that we realized that ours (folded mind you) took up half the boot space of our range rover. On the plus side, I can have a lot of camera gear with me, on it.

Gary Clennan wrote:
Congratulations Luka! Great to see you posting again. That last picture is quite funny....

Thanks Gary

zhangyue wrote:
Luka, Congratulation! welcome to FM Dad club. Great images as always.

Thanks Michael Needless to say now that I'll be taking photos of my kid, your work will be of great inspiration. Your photos of your kids are consistently not just good photos of kids but simply great photos - and that in my experience is very rare. For now my baby photos are, well, just baby photos, but hopefully I'll develop it into more in the future.

carstenw wrote:
Wow, congratulations! So that's what kept you busy

Thanks Carsten!

KatieInTexas wrote:
Congratulations denoir! I like to think of child accessories at an S curve... Lots of large items when they are teeny, then a nice respite when they are small boys, but then a huge upswing when they hit sports and extra friends. Fortunately with technology, you'll only ever really need an iPad to keep them entertained while traveling.

Thanks Katie! Good to know that things will be at least temporarily be better

charles.K wrote:
Congratulations Luka!!! Wow, great shots and many more to come

Thanks Charles! As the others do, I really hope you'll come back to the thread. There's definitely the feeling of something essential missing without your photos!

joe88 wrote:
Luka, congrats on your baby! Excellent pics and processing as always.

Thanks Joe! Great shots of your son!

sebboh wrote:
congrats luka!

love the last shot.

if you think the logistics are bad now, just wait till you are transporting multiple kids and/or them + their friends with all the necessary car seats and stuff to satisfy they're basic needs.

stroller walks are great for photography due to the extra carrying capacity but terrible if you need to actually run errands along the way or want to travel over something other than nice pavement. i ended up just carrying kids everywhere or putting them in a backpack/bellypack. good for upper body strength, but bad for the back...

Thanks! The stroller part sounds good in theory, but I'll see how well it will work in practice. Anyway, I would really like to get some more time for photography as I've neglected it almost entierly for the past year. This forum certainly inspires one to go out and shoot

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:34 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1001 #13 · p.1001 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Allen - great capture and processing. Super timing capturing the bird as well....
Werner - I love this one. Unique perspective and soft processing.
Carsten - let's check back in a few years and see how obsolete some of the current Sony offerings are. M9 has been going strong for 5 years now... Sony is not a camera you buy for longevity. HOWEVER, to each their own and they obviously produce some incredibly popular cameras. I may eventually buy one as a backup once they produce a model which meets my needs.

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:29 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1001 #14 · p.1001 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

35cron asph

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:29 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1001 #15 · p.1001 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

@ Charles, ty for kind words and congrats on those gorgeous wide landscapes you posting in the "wide problem" thread!
@denoir beautiful images
@michael, fantastic shoots of your son, and a reminder that great shots can be had on the darker days too.
@Joe, very nice set.
@Gary loving the grafitti
@allen nice one!

Here, two lucky snaps from evening before last:

L1021301 by unoh7, 28 cron f/8

L1021261 by unoh7, zm18 f/4.8 (or maybe WO)

What's lucky is both of these shots are "right out of the camera", M9. The cron shot has the LR "profile" activated, which does distortion but not much, or anything else. My exposure comp is set -2/3. Auto WB.

Though I am a quick and dirty editor, it's rare I don't fiddle with something.

I would not call them perfect, but they are so clean like this I decided to leave them be

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:59 PM
nicoimages
• •
p.1001 #16 · p.1001 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Uhoh - really like the clarity and purity of colour you are getting with what looks like no post processing are these JPGs or DNGs? - particularly like the yellow sign picture
Denoir - the fist baby pic is adorable love the composition and styling - the first image of the yellow Danish farm house is very impact-full too
Zhangue - the last image with the yellow rain coat and puddle is fantastic - really love the colour - do you use VSCO ?
Gary - last picture of the hanging hooks is great as a lot of your b&w images on the previous pages
Werner - the M8 image is fantastic - great colour and composition

I am continuing to process my short Scotland trip pictures -

Leica M240 with Zeiss 25/2.8ZM / VC 21/1.8 / VC 12/5.6

Edited on Sep 28, 2014 at 02:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2014 at 06:10 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1001 #17 · p.1001 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Carsten - let's check back in a few years and see how obsolete some of the current Sony offerings are. M9 has been going strong for 5 years now... Sony is not a camera you buy for longevity. HOWEVER, to each their own and they obviously produce some incredibly popular cameras. I may eventually buy one as a backup once they produce a model which meets my needs.

It does depend strongly on your definition. If you mean how long people use them, then yeah, you are right. If you mean image quality, then the M9 and M are already obsolete (not that they don't produce quality images, just that there are noticeably better sensors on the market), except for the special case of getting the most out of a stable of wide M lenses. It is also possible to buy a series of new Sony bodies over the years, always keeping current, and still paying less than for a single Leica body...

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1001 #18 · p.1001 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nicola - very nice! I like the interesting rock foreground in those...
Carsten - I have yet to see better "image quality" from any of the A7 series cameras compared to the M240. In fact, in some cases I have seen the opposite. In the right hands though, both can have superb output. I would rather not use something which feels like a disposable toy camera but that is just me. The vast number of A7 adopters proves that I am in the minority here. I need to enjoy the total experience - not only the final product. I am getting a little bummed out though as another poster mentioned my Leica is completely "unusable" and today I find out it is "obsolete".

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:19 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1001 #19 · p.1001 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

You may think of the A7 as a disposable toy, but it definitely doesn't feel that way. The body is solid. The operation is not as refined as a pro DSLR, but the EVF is amazing. The only complaint about the feel is the mushy shutter release.

The Leicas are of course not obsolete, I am just pointing out the absurdity of calling the A7* cameras obsolete when they incorporate much newer and more advanced technology than the Leicas, and have better image quality.

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:34 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1001 #20 · p.1001 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I have tried out an A7 and it does indeed feel a bit cheap to me - it doesn't feel like a quality product which will last years. Mind you, if they release a new model each year, who really cares I suppose. The EVF seems to me like a dated little tv screen. It really would cheapen the experience having to use an EVF like that (or any EVF for that matter). Also, IQ is so subjective and to me the A7s certainly are not better. We all have differing needs/wants/desires so it all really doesn't matter though. As long as we can have a camera which meets our needs, all is good - right?

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:43 PM
1       2       3              1000      
       1002              1380       1381       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1000      
       1002              1380       1381       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password