New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

shortpballer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

While I know everyone urged me not to rush into it, I went ahead and bought a medium format kit for an important shoot I had. And I have to say I'm VERY glad I did. I'm in love with the quality of this thing and its an older back. I can't wait to upgrade to a newer P30+ or possibly a better leaf back than the one I currently have. Below is a picture from my second shoot that I edited tonight. I wish I could attach pics of the first shoot as they came out great! But I can't do to the fact I need to wait until they are available to the public first.

Jul 21, 2010 at 02:27 AM
Adib Towfiq
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

that is some sweet clarity!

Jul 21, 2010 at 03:54 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

2000 pixels by 1500 pixels is much too big to view without scrolling.

I suggest you re-size and repost.

Jul 21, 2010 at 05:54 AM
ehor

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

Jim Rickards wrote:
2000 pixels by 1500 pixels is much too big to view without scrolling.

I suggest you re-size and repost.

looks fine on my 30"

Jul 21, 2010 at 09:15 AM
Chip Sprague
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

Beautiful. What camera/lens are you using here? Also, just one light off to camera right?

Jul 21, 2010 at 09:47 AM
rockygag
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

I would guess that this was shot in digital, as near an I know, film does not have the kind of moire problem that is showing up in this photo.

Other than that, great image. Love to contrast between the model and the background.

Dave

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM
Michael Sessio
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

rockygag wrote:
I would guess that this was shot in digital, as near an I know, film does not have the kind of moire problem that is showing up in this photo.

Other than that, great image. Love to contrast between the model and the background.

Dave

Agreed. I tried a medium format body at a demo last year. The moire was immediately noticeable in the shots. As far as I know this affects medium format quite a bit more than smaller sensors. Is it a quick and easy fix in post?

Shot looks great besides that.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM
Chip Sprague
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

The EXIF says Aptus 17 which as far as I can make out is a back which is compatible with several different cameras.

Jul 21, 2010 at 06:10 PM
rockygag
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

I have a MFDB, Mamiya ZD, bottom of the barrel now, but still a nice 22 mpix back, it is tack sharp, but needs a strong dose of Capture One anti-moire on any fabric that has a fine pattern. Think pinstripes.

Dave

Jul 21, 2010 at 06:10 PM
shortpballer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

Sorry guys. It is a hasselblad H2 with leaf aptus 17 back. And 50-110mm Lens. I may be selling my setup to move to a phase one p40+ setup. If anyone is interested I have a h2, leaf aptus 17 back. 50-110, 80mm and 150mm lens. All in like new condition

Eric

Jul 21, 2010 at 06:51 PM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

You can't really judge the moire from this image because it is likely to have been resized. The 100% crop may not show this artifact, or may not show it to the same extent.

The lack of an antialiasing filter is what induces moire. Greater sharpness does not come for free.

Jul 21, 2010 at 07:11 PM
AskedForIt

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

I love the files from my 500c/m:h20 combo, regardless of age. Still look better to my eye than the ones from the 1Ds II. Enjoy that p40!

Jul 21, 2010 at 09:07 PM
MrAdventure
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

Good Stuff

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:43 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First Model Shoot with Medium Format

Michael Sessio wrote:
Agreed. I tried a medium format body at a demo last year. The moire was immediately noticeable in the shots. As far as I know this affects medium format quite a bit more than smaller sensors. Is it a quick and easy fix in post?

The reason is because MF cameras don't have AA filters.

No AA filter = sharper image + moire
This is similar to what Pentax did w/ their K10D DSLR...weak AA filter but same chip as Nikon D80 = sharper photos, but some moire

What MF users do is run the image though the Capture One software which supposedly has the best moire removal code...

Jul 24, 2010 at 06:16 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.