Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              10       11       end

Archive 2010 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

kakomu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

By the by, here's a 100% crop of the moon taken with a Rebel XT and the Canon Ef-S 55-250 (at f/8):

http://kakomu.com/images/moon.jpg

I had already adjusted this image in ACR, by boosting blacks, contrast and exposure. Otherwise, it looks like this:

http://kakomu.com/images/moon-orig.jpg

Jul 26, 2010 at 07:48 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Yeah, with 100% crops it's pretty easy to tell how much sharpening slash tone remapping the camera and/or editor added - and to what affect. At least for me. Probably most people here too. When it's additionally scaled I can't tell anything tho. So at 100% it's all good. Thanks for showing that!

Pretty nice Moon shot BTW! A worthy lens!

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM
PhilH
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

I thought about this thread last night during the full moon and thought I'd contribute.
These are all full frames, no crops, on a 5D Mark II.

First up, Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX APO

Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX APO - bigger

Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX APO + 2X TC (600mm) - bigger

Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX APO + 2X TC + 2X TC (1200mm) - bigger

Next, Century Precision Optics 600mm f/4.5

CPO 600mm f/4.5 - bigger

CPO 600mm f/4.5 + 2X TC (1200mm) - bigger

CPO 600mm f/4.5 + 2x TC + 2x TC (2400mm) - bigger

Stacking two 2X TCs is fun, but there is a pretty significant hit to contrast and sharpness at that level. Still, it really gets you out there.

Jul 26, 2010 at 01:33 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

PhilH wrote:
I thought about this thread last night during the full moon and thought I'd contribute.
These are all full frames, no crops, on a 5D Mark II..

Nice contribution! But the whole idea here is to see the 100% crops of the image - either by posting or linking to it if it's too big in-line. So I and others looking on can actually see how the lens/camera combo perform. It's difficult or impossible to tell anything from scaled images. If you need a host just let me know, I'll put them up for you - NP.

They look nice from the scaled versions... Can't wait to see what they look like at 100%!

Jul 27, 2010 at 04:22 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Despite reading many posts, I am uncertain how to obtain an exact 100% crop.
I still think it would depend on the original file size, and have to be proportioned?
I know I am trying to make this be more than it really is, for some reason.
I seem to confused by such a simple thing...

Jul 27, 2010 at 05:38 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Well it's pretty simple really. Just load the original file into photoshop or whichever editor you use. Use the crop tool and drag out the box to tightly fit around the moon part of the image. Perform the crop and then save the image as a Jpeg at high quality. That's it. Nothing to it really. If you never scale the image it will always be considered to be a "100%" sample and after cropping it will be called a "100% crop".

If you have a really long lens and/or a 20+ megapixel camera then there might be an instance where the poster would feel uncomfortable posting such a huge image. In such a case they (you?) can either post a scaled version in-line here with a link to the 100% crop (I'll provide a host for anyone needing it) or post some section or sections of the 100% image here directly.

I don't want to appear too anal about having 100% crops posted. - it's not all that big a deal. It's just that if it's scaled it's only a pretty picture. Whereas if it's 100% then it's additionally useful in determining some of qualities of the lens being used. I like buying, trying, and selling lenses as I think some others here do too - and thought this might make a fairly good reference topic.

The only factor we're overlooking is the environment. If the person is at six to eight thousand feet under pristine skies even a piss-poor lens is going to look awesome compared to a sweet L or zeiss lens at sea-level in 70 or 80% humidity in a dust storm - which is going to look like total crud! (all tween variants being relative). But that can't be helped I guess. So just go for it.

Edited on Jul 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM
PhilH
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Ah. Missed the crop concept. I'll upload something tonight. 2400mm is soft as wet tissue.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Awesome.. Thanks man!

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Hi Phil,

I have two questions:

1. The lens you mention, is it built by Century Precision or just converted for Cine use by them? The FL and max f/stop match a Canon product?

2. Did you get above the muck to shoot that, i.e. Mulholland overlook or Griffith Park? The clear skies last week were really surprising for summer.

I have a 80s-era beater of 600 that I wanted to use last week, but couldn't get around to it for lack of time. You made the most of it!

PhilH wrote:
These are all full frames, no crops, on a 5D Mark II.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM
PhilH
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

sirimiri wrote:
1. The lens you mention, is it built by Century Precision or just converted for Cine use by them? The FL and max f/stop match a Canon product?

2. Did you get above the muck to shoot that, i.e. Mulholland overlook or Griffith Park? The clear skies last week were really surprising for summer.

1. Nope. This is a cine style lens made in the early 80s that's been converted to EF mount. It's a f/4.5-f/45 I think. I don't have the lens in front of me at the moment. I rarely shoot past f/18 on it though. I inquired with Schneider Optics who now owns CPO and it turns out this lens was a special use lens. Few were ever made, less than 25 I'm told. It's not rehoused Canon, which I initially was kinda hoping for, it's all CPO custom glass. Weird find, but not easy to shoot with.

2. Nope. I'm in the muck I thought about driving to the desert that night, but didn't have the time. These were taken somewhere in San Fernando Valley around midnight.

Jul 27, 2010 at 03:04 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Thanks for the hosting offer Bifurcator!
However, my humble example would be nothing spectacular.
Though I do have some nice processed ones from my 40D, 1.4TC, Canon 100-400L.
The example I was thinking of was from earlier this year, i shot in evening daylight through the pear trees that were in bloom.
It was kind of interesting, in that, at 100% view, the moon was kind of nice.
It's from a 5DMkII, so, it would be a huge file.
I'd rather see examples from alt lenses.
Thanks!

Bifurcator wrote:
Well it's pretty simple really. Just load the original file into photoshop or whichever editor you use. Use the crop tool and drag out the box to tightly fit around the moon part of the image. Perform the crop and then save the image as a Jpeg at high quality. That's it. Nothing to it really. If you never scale the image it will always be considered to be a "100%" sample and after cropping it will be called a "100% crop".

If you have a really long lens and/or a 20+ megapixel camera then there might be an instance
...Show more

Jul 27, 2010 at 03:25 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

dwile38, that seems too small for 400 total millimeters on a Kx. If you're not posting the 100% then please specify otherwise. Thanks!

The Moon:

Camera: GH1, 135mm (270mm equiv.), 1/100s, f3.5, ISO 100, 100% Crop.

The Lens:

Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 135mm 3.5

Jul 28, 2010 at 09:49 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

duplicate. :P

Edited on Jul 28, 2010 at 08:13 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2010 at 09:57 AM
PhilH
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

As promised some 100% crops.

Sigma 300mm f/2.8 with one and two 2X Teleconverters attached:

And the Century Precision Optics with one and two 2X Teleconverters attached:

A couple notes. These were shot under the "Los Angeles Sky Blanket". These can be sharper in clearer skies.

Also to note, the 2X 2X Teleconverter beyond darkening the exposure and fine tuning to a small aperture, the image loses contrast and sharpness. That said one 2X TC is acceptable in my opinion.

Jul 28, 2010 at 03:27 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

@PhilH: I suppose that with a tracking mount, you wouldn't have to raise the ISO so much and you wouldn't get such grainy exposures?

What kind of shutter speeds do you have to use at those FL's to get a sharp moon?

Jul 28, 2010 at 03:32 PM
PhilH
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Not slow at all actually. Somewhere between 1/2000th @ ISO 640 and I think the slowest I used was 1/200th the whole evening.

Jul 28, 2010 at 04:03 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Excellent! Thanks Phil! Very informative!

I certainly agree about clearer skies being conducive to clearer cleaner results!

Edited on Jul 29, 2010 at 07:29 AM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2010 at 07:54 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Hee's a shot showing just how bad that Sigma 400 APO I described back on page one is at apertures less than about 9 or 10. I've modified it so that it goes to f/32 or a little more, and is also stopless.

The moon:

f/5.6, 1/80s, ISO100, 400mm (800mm equiv), Camera: GH1, 100% crop.
Additionally I clipped off the flare which was easily as wide as the moon itself.

The lens again:

Sigma AF 400mm f/5.6 Apochromatic (APO) non-macro, non-HSM, $1 on ebay - and worth every penny.

Jul 28, 2010 at 08:07 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

PhilH wrote:
Not slow at all actually. Somewhere between 1/2000th @ ISO 640 and I think the slowest I used was 1/200th the whole evening.

What causes the incredible graininess then at 2400mm?

Edited on Jul 29, 2010 at 07:53 AM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2010 at 04:43 AM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Moon By Lens (100% crops)

Anyone with mirror lenses?

Jul 29, 2010 at 05:41 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.