FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

jules77

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

Hi all,

deciding on a lightweight battery system and would like to ask:

What would you get for around almost exactly the same price brand new:

A full quadra RX kit with extra pack - two heads, two packs and a remote trigger system.

or

A profoto AcuteB2 kit with full air remote - one head, one pack and a remote trigger system.

They both cost the same before modifiers, and i'm leaning towards the acuteb2 because it seems like the quadras have quite similar to my hot shoes strobes, and people complain that they feel flimsy and the EL mounts feel weak. However, nobody has said anything about the build of the acutes.

Going on location i would like to keep it simple, i want a powerful light that i can throw in my backpack and supplement with the 3 sb800s i have. I would want to use the acute with the magnum (which seems easier to transport), or the quadra with a 70cm softliter or deep octa.

however, i keep thinking that for the same money of an acuteb2, i can get 2 quadras!

Does anybody that has experience with both have any opinions?

cheers

Jul 05, 2010 at 11:22 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

Personally, I went for the AcuteB2.

But, it depends what you need. I have four Profoto D1 Air monolights, so I wasn't looking for quantity in portable lights. I just wanted one simple light that is really portable, and the AcuteB2 fit the bill for me.

I've also heard that -supposedly- the Profotos put out more light pound-for-pound than the Elinchroms... I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems like folks say 600Ws of Profoto gives more juice than 600Ws of Elinchrom.

Jul 05, 2010 at 11:51 PM
jules77

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

thanks for your reply, do you happen to use the acuteb2 with a magnum? if so how do you find the acuteb2 works in location? is the air remote useful?

Jul 05, 2010 at 11:55 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

I won't receive the AcuteB2 until later this week so I can't really give any in-use experience at this point. The Air remote works great, but one thing to keep in mind is that you can't remotely control the -power- settings on the AcuteB2 as it's not a fully digital unit like the D1s. So it's only triggering via the built-in Air.

FYI, the only place that has them in stock yet is Amazon, FYI. I got the new lithium battery version.

Jul 06, 2010 at 01:55 AM
jules77

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

My local profoto dealer has them in stock, and he said its able to use the full airs remote, but the kit just comes with the airs sync trigger only. so that is an additional cost.

But if what you're saying is correct and remote power control is not possible, then its a deal breaker for me i guess.

Jul 06, 2010 at 01:58 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

Your local Profoto dealer either doesn't know what he's talking about, or worse, he's trying to take you for a ride.

Every single AcuteB2 comes standard with the Air Sync. That's why it's called AcuteB2 600 AirS (as opposed to just plain Air). It is impossible for the AcuteB2 to have the power controlled wirelessly with the Air Remote. There is no upgrade available for the AcuteB2 to allow it to do this.

Yes, you can trigger it from the full-on Air Remote, but you can't adjust power levels from it like you can with the D1 units.

I'm not sure why that should be a deal-breaker for you, but it is something to be aware of at least. Of course, I'd prefer the AcuteB2 were a fully digital unit capable of remote power adjustments, but I'm more concerned with the ultra-portability.

Jul 06, 2010 at 02:09 AM
jules77

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

Wow that is really bad of the dealer to mislead me, i can get a second hand acuteb pack for significantly less, over a third of the price off a new acuteb2.

If all it does is sync then i might as well use my normal triggers, im not planning to put it more than 10 metres away from me.

I can deal with an extra kg of weight and the saved money can go into an extra battery and modifiers.

Jul 06, 2010 at 02:18 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

Supposedly the new ones are a bit more efficient than the old ones, so you'd get more pops (again, supposedly) with the new one using a lead acid battery than you would with the old one... No idea how true that is.

I was really close to buying the old AcuteB used, but the only reason I decided not to was that I wanted to Air sync built-in so I can use it alongside my D1 monolights if I need to without having to plug something in on the outside. There also haven't been many great deals to be head on the old ones, and I figured I'd rather have a new unit with full warranty for the small difference in price.

You could also use the old AcuteB with one of the new batteries, if you want.

Jul 06, 2010 at 02:24 AM
Robb Mann
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

The 'flimsy mount' issue on the quadras is a real issue - both on the RQ mount and the RQ-EL adapter; however, it is totally fixed by ugrading to star-washers on the mounting foot. Yes, for this price you shouldn't need to modify your kit to work as advertised, but it is a $0.39 fix.

Jul 06, 2010 at 04:28 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

As an Eli user I bought the Quadra (dual A head kit). Great pack unit, almost too many controls (hate 101 nested menu trees) most of which you'll never use or use once, light, full remote control, dual heads (though with only 400WS you'll not often use two heads) etc. All the things someone wants in a small battery pack. That said, sold it in disgust at the build quality and expected replacement price of the flimsy heads (app. $500) and the build quality of the adapter.

Swivels on heads and the Q adapter need the famous Elinchrom 'Manfrotto Mod' (using bottom 1/2 of a filed 026 swivel and proper lock washers) as are all but useless to hold anything beyond a lightweight modifier. Did said mod to both my heads and the Q adapter. The umbrella tube on the heads is some engineer's idea of a bad joke (thin plastic tube attached to base of head on a thin plastic 'wing') and it's not of matter of IF it will break but WHEN. Most users mount the heads on a proper umbrella swivel to safely use it with same.

As for the the Q adapter, it lacks any umbrella socket (simply a pass-thru hole to the head) and sets the Q tube inside a 'well' relative to the base of BD, etc. Even modified, the adapter flexes like a bobble doll with (in my case) a Mola Demi BD on it. Lightest touch on the Demi had the whole unit bobbing up and down as it flexes at the base of the "L" plate that makes up the main body of the unit . Some folks on POTN have overcome that issue by attaching reinforcing brackets to the plate.

Now, you can use a normal Ranger head on a Quadra via the factory adapter to overcome these issues, but you will lose the modeling light. The Quadra is designed as a 'strobists' pack or adjunct pack to a full Ranger for use with lightweight modifiers in a 'shoot and scoot' mode. It's when folks try and stretch it beyond those design limits as say a 'Ranger Lite' when the issues arise as you're trying to get the tail to wag the dog. It's clearly intended by Eli NOT to steal Ranger sales.

If you go Eli - I'd STRONGLY recommend the well regarded and robust Ranger if you have ANY intent of using a pack with 'normal' mods on location or in studio at ANY point or if the unit will be your only light for a time. The cost difference isn't huge and, IMHO, the Ranger is a MUCH better value proposition within the Eli family (unless weight/size is THE criteria for your shooting intent, which for some folks can be). More power, a hell of a lot more robust, full power control (via Skyport), no having to do DIY mods to get the unit working for you, no BS with adapters, can bolt anything you want on it, etc., - at the simple cost of some weight.

When I made the switch to Profoto, I went with AcuteB for location work. Small, light, tough as hell, simple quick operation, awesome Profoto mount, swivel on light locks like a mutha and will hold any modifier you throw on it -- and swivels 360 deg horiz without having to touch the socket lock screw. Comparing AcuteB at comparable rated WS to my (now gone) BXRis using same mod (BD), the Profotos were, as mentioned, more efficient at taking converted WS potential into actual light - something reviewers and other users have noticed as well. The difference isn't huge, but WTH, I'll take it.

Quadra vs AcuteB? You give up some flash duration (until have a faster Profoto unit) and remote power control with AcuteB, but for me the others pluses were WELL worth the move.
The dealer you mention is either an idiot or looking to make some $$ from you (I know, shocking behavior from a dealer). The AcuteB2 AiRS (S for sync only) cannot be remotely power-controlled via Air. Trigger only. Period. You won't see full power control of the AcuteB_ until such time as the pack is digitized.

Older B (vs B2 ) units can be found at nice prices with heads included as they look to move out new old stock and are deals worth looking at as the new LioP batteries can be used in older units to save some weight later if desired.

Best of luck in your choice.

Jul 06, 2010 at 05:50 AM
jules77

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

Thanks for all the info everyone, i think the quadra is out of the question.

However, the price difference between the old acuteb and the new one is (after conversion) usd500. it seems for that chunk of money i get a better and lighter battery and a wireless sync that i dont need.

A really good deal on a used acuteb slipped though my hands, and it looks like i have to buy new now. the thing is they dont sell the older ones new anymore, so i will be forced to get the acuteb2.

will i be paying a premium for being an early adopter of this new revision, and do prices normally come down? like through "promotions" and stuff.

Jul 06, 2010 at 09:34 AM
Ryan Pream
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

well Profotos releases seem to happen on a geological time scale...so wouldn't expect to see any discounts soon.

I got a free D4 ring light when I bought my AcuteB though B&H in December. You had to mail in a claim certificate and they posted what you asked for about a month later. It was US only though, so I had family in the US do it and post it to me since I live overseas.

Jul 06, 2010 at 09:44 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

Profoto typically has promo deals (free head, etc) vs simple price reductions -- if you can wait. If you can't get the old packs new in your neck of the woods (Singapore) and shipping from NA is too costly (shipping, duties, VAT), keep checking used - they show up often and at decent prices (e.g. just over US$2K with a head).

As many people will tell you they love the Quadra as say they were disappointed in it or find it good for limited use only (as a Ranger adjunct). Ideally, checking them out yourself would be perfect... but not everyone has that option.

Jul 06, 2010 at 09:45 AM
jdear
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

its worth mentioning that the older AcuteB will take the new AcuteB2 LiFE batteries so the packs are lighter. I watched a demo acuteB600r kit sold on ebay for $1100USD bugggered I didnt bid on that one. Our local still sells them for $4k+

Jul 06, 2010 at 05:30 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

I have been watching eBay USA sales of the Acute B 600R very closely for the past 5 months, and have never seen a price as low as $1100 USD. For a full kit with the R version that includes the built in PocketWizard reciever, I have never seen a used kit with head go for less than $1700 USD for used, and for $2000 for new from an authorized dealer. I may have missed something, but I think the prices that I mentioned are more typical for the low end of sales that have actually taken place. Obviously even at the prices I mentioned, it is still a lot less than $4000. I am happy that I now have two of the old style R version ones, and am not too worried about saving a couple of pounds of weight. And I doubt that I will spring for a light weight battery for my units, because it costs about 2.5 times as much as the old battery does.

Jul 06, 2010 at 05:52 PM
jdear
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

oops it was 1300 usd... still bloody cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370387626759&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Jul 06, 2010 at 06:47 PM
Marcin Harla
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

jdear wrote:
oops it was 1300 usd... still bloody cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370387626759&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Well, yeah, but it never met the reserve price so it didn't sell. It had a 'Buy It Now' price of $2549

Jul 06, 2010 at 07:59 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Elinchrom Quadra vs Profoto AcuteB2

When my Profoto AcuteB worked, it was the best outdoor lighting solution hands down.

My Quadra, I never really liked. It didn't have the build quality that the AcuteB did, and it never seemed to produce a good quality of light. I know people toss this saying around with Profoto, but I've taken bare bulb shots with the AcuteB and I've taken bare bulb shots with the Quadra, and the Quadra just looked like a canon flash off shoe compared to the AcuteB. I couldn't tell you why, but I really just liked using the AcuteB better.

In fact, if it wasn't for the Einstein and the VBII, I would probably go back to the AcuteB since I've sold off my Quadra.
Though it really should be cheaper, I'd say the new Profoto AcuteB2 600Ws AirS LiFe Power Pack should cost $1900 w/head always (not as some special discount once and a while). But hey, maybe they just cost a lot to build?

Jul 07, 2010 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.