Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2010 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Lamergod

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Apparently, CNN took my photo from a forum that I posted for critique.

http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/start-your-own-world-cup-going-these-amateur-football-leagues-singapore-775599

I posted it here for critique too. I just emailed them and asked them to credit me properly. I wanted to milk them for some cash, but I do not have the financial backing to find a lawyer. Unless any kind lawyer can help me and write a letter for free !

Can't belive they stoop so low and take a picture from a 15 year old... It's like snatching a candy from a 5 year old. I just don't have the financial backing to get legal help.

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:33 AM
ppolla

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

I think you should forget about the financial compensation and love the glory that millions of people around the world will see your photo...
I absolutely agree that they should give you the credit...possibly even a link to your website if you have one...

Well done...you have been published on CNN!!!

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:42 AM
Lamergod

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Yep. Not taking legal actions. I think they would rather remove the image than pay me.
And yup, basking in the glory of having my picture on CNN

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

If you had the copyright and contact info in the IPTC data, it is pretty simple... register the image with the copyright office in the US (you have, I think, 90 days from publication date and can do this online), invoice them for usage and damages, and they have to pay. US law carries damages for unauthorized use, which can be as high as US$150K. A copyright lawyer would likely take the case on a contingency fee basis. CNN knows better and is hoping you'll just be chuffed with the publication.

Jun 17, 2010 at 06:34 AM
PierreB
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

cocodrillo wrote:
CNN knows better and is hoping you'll just be chuffed with the publication.

This has become the common stance for many publishers, especially online.

Jun 17, 2010 at 06:36 AM
PierreB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Lamergod wrote:
Yep. Not taking legal actions. I think they would rather remove the image than pay me.
And yup, basking in the glory of having my picture on CNN

Basking in the glory is all well & good but they have used your image and should pay for it.

Jun 17, 2010 at 06:41 AM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Shoot them an another email and demand payment. Nice to see a billion dollar company is lifting photos from forums for their news stories...

Jun 17, 2010 at 06:44 AM
Lamergod

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Do you think they will pay? They will rather take it down. But even after taking it down, can I still ask them for money? And is there any means I can ask them for payment without brining in lawyers? Like reporting to police(They wouldn't care I guess).

cocodrillo@ Could you please explain more? I live in Singapore and am not sure if it's applicable in my country. Could you please explain more on IPTC? I know nuts bout laws. Could use the funds for a spanking D3 and a 400mm.

Jun 17, 2010 at 06:59 AM
lamontsanders
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

I would just be content with the fact that I was published on CNN.

Jun 17, 2010 at 07:10 AM
doable

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

I see they gave you credit on bottom right of photo now but seems rather cheesy as it's just your online name as to say where they lifted it.

Jun 17, 2010 at 07:26 AM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

With CNN's minuscule TV ratings, I'm surprised their web media outlets have the funds to operate at all. Still, it is disappointing to see anyone use an image without permission.

Jun 17, 2010 at 07:42 AM
Oasisbill
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

lamontsanders wrote:
I would just be content with the fact that I was published on CNN.

Where does this leave people who get paid for this? If everyone thought it was a privilege to be published then there would be no photography industry, no skill expectation. They should always pay or none of us will have a job or they should at least be held to account, or at the very least ask for permission and give you the option to say no.

Jun 17, 2010 at 07:44 AM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Lamergod wrote:
Do you think they will pay? They will rather take it down. But even after taking it down, can I still ask them for money? And is there any means I can ask them for payment without brining in lawyers?

Yes, they'll pay.

They *might* take it down, but that doesn't mean they didn't publish it.

Yes, you can still get money from them if they take it down.

Yes, you can get money from them without involving lawyers.

Jun 17, 2010 at 08:05 AM
Lamergod

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

James Broome wrote:
Yes, you can get money from them without involving lawyers.

HOW!?

Jun 17, 2010 at 08:07 AM
Lamergod

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Oasisbill wrote:
Where does this leave people who get paid for this? If everyone thought it was a privilege to be published then there would be no photography industry, no skill expectation. They should always pay or none of us will have a job or they should at least be held to account, or at the very least ask for permission and give you the option to say no.

well said!

Jun 17, 2010 at 08:07 AM
pappawheely
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Pathetic that they are stealing photos off the web. They know better.

Jun 17, 2010 at 08:51 AM
Rags Hef
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Well Lamergod, welcome to the real world.

CNN & other TV networks advertise for free vids and they get plenty of takers. Lifting a still for online publication is small change

Professional photography is an endangered species.

Rags

Jun 17, 2010 at 09:00 AM
Mark Peters
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Being content to bask in the glory is exactly why they get away with this.

Take a screen print, and demand payment. Who cares if they take it down - it shouldn't be there to begin with.

Jun 17, 2010 at 09:18 AM
Lamergod

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

screen shot is done done. I had some advice from a man who has dealt with copyright infringement for years from his sports website. Basically, he told me to just write a letter, tell them that they took my picture and ask them for where they are located and send a invoice of 300 dollars to them.

Jun 17, 2010 at 09:30 AM
PierreB
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Does this make me a CNN photographer?

Oasisbill wrote:

+1

This is the real issue here.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.