FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2010 · Fastest Flash Synch Speed Canon Cameras

bsteels
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Fastest Flash Synch Speed Canon Cameras

For the OP, was thinking about your synch issue, and probably a more significant issue is shutter lag. This is the main reason for fast external shutters when shooting high-speed photos in ambient lighting. In a controlled environment the camera shutter is held open and the flashes stop the motion, but in daylight this is not possible.

I measured my 20D shutter lag and with mirror lockup it was 53ms, but without mirror lockup it was over 120ms - that's over 1/10 of a second (5D and 5DII are likely longer). A bug can travel a long way in that time. Have you ever had a fly lined up and when you popped the shutter there was no fly in the photo? I have! Even a small movement will put insects badly OOF with the MPE, and this is a difficult technical challenge to overcome, unfortunately.

Just something else to consider. Cheers!

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:15 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Fastest Flash Synch Speed Canon Cameras

BrianO wrote:
If the modeling light on my strobe was as bright as the sun, why would I need the strobe? I could just use the modeling lamp.

schristie11 wrote:
I think you misunderstand what I meant.

I was speaking of an AC modeling lamp or an AC flash strobe, they are two different things. I was not speaking of a AA battery powered hot shoe flash.

Yes, it was quite obvious that you were not talking about a hot-shoe flash. Very few of those have modeling lamps, although my Canon 580EX can pulse rapidly for short periods to act as a modeling lamp.

schristie11 wrote:
...There are modeling lamps on some strobes but they are an exception to what I was speaking of.

A 150 - 400 watt AC monolight that stays on all the time is pretty darn bright, esp to your camera.

Those aren't "modeling lights," those are continuous lights, also known as hot lights. Modeling lights are accessory lights on strobes that model the strobe's output so the photographer can see the effects of positioning, modifier usage, multi-strobe ratios, etc.

I've never heard the term "monolight" applied to hot lights because, well, virtually all hot lights are single-unit designs. "Monolight" is a term applied to strobes that have the power supply, capacitors, controls, and flash tube(s) -- and modeling lamp if so equipped -- in a single housing, as oppossed to standard strobe systems that are separate "pack and head" designs.

Lastly, although 150 - 400 watt continuous lights are available, they are hardly as bright as the sun, which is what you said above. I cut my photographic teeth on photoflood lamps more than three decades ago, and I can assure you that even when approaching twice that much output we weren't anywhere close to "sunny 16" settings.

Frankly, and to be perfectly blunt, I don't think you know what the heck you're talking about.

Roland W wrote:
...Typical strobe maximum power is 1200 Watt Seconds. Typical modeling light is 400 Watts. Sync speed for full frame camera is usually 1/250th of a second. Typical energy transfer of a 1200 Watt Second strobe into a 1/250th exposure gives an effective power of about 600 Watt Seconds.

The 400 Watt modeling light is thus about equal to a 1.60 Watt Second strobe (400 Watts times 1/250th of a second equals 1.6). So the modeling light is 1/375th of the power of the strobe, which is about 8.5 stops different. That is a big difference. An alternate view
...Show more

Here, on the other hand, is someone who does know what he is talking about.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.