New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

JimboCin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

I have a question on how others connect their ball head to the tripod and to the lever clamp.

1. Tripod to ball head connection:
a. Permanent Loctite threadlocker, or
b. Removable Loctite theradlocker, or
c. No threadlocker

2. Ball head to lever clamp connection:
a. Permanent Loctite threadlocker, or
b. Removable Loctite theradlocker, or
c. No threadlocker

I would also be interested in your rational for your suggested method.

My initial thought is to use removable Loctite to connect the lever plate to the ball head (so I can remove it later if I so desire) and no Loctite between the tripod and ball head (so I can remove the ball head as needed) but I am open to better suggestions.

Thanks!

Jim

PS: Details are:
Tripod: Gitzo GT3541LS, 3/8 inch stud
Ball Head: Markins M20-NQS (no clamp)
Lever Clamp: RRS 60 mm B2 LR II (using 3/8 inch Markins titanium stud to ball head)

Jun 06, 2010 at 10:16 AM
bitmaker
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Red is an adhesive. It's some serious stuff. Designed for use in applications where high heat and/or vibration are factors... narly, unpleasant environments. There really is no reason to use it in any normal photo application. Go with Blue (a true threadlocker) for everything you listed above and be certain it will give you all that's needed.

Jun 06, 2010 at 10:30 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

No loctite at all.
I have many ballhead & tripods. And also about the same as you large Gitzo, Markins and RRS.
I have never understand why some people like to use loctite. And even permanent loctite !!!!

Jun 06, 2010 at 10:32 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Thanks Greg and Lars.

Lars - I take it you have not had problems with the clamp working loose from the ballhead?

I assume that just to make sure - you check it once in a while.

Thanks!

Jim

Jun 06, 2010 at 10:36 AM
picfox
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Lars Johnsson wrote:
No loctite at all.
I have many ballhead & tripods. And also about the same as you large Gitzo, Markins and RRS.
I have never understand why some people like to use loctite. And even permanent loctite !!!!

+1 +1 +1

I never used any loctite. I have a 3540LS with Markins M20, just lock the panning base and tighten the BH by Hand, thats all. Loctite permanent, huuuhhhh !!!

Jun 06, 2010 at 10:54 AM
bitmaker
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Lars Johnsson wrote:
No loctite at all.

This can be problematical. If mounting a RRS clamp to a RRS ballhead threadlockiing compound isn't critical because both components are keyed to each other (thus preventing the clamp from twisting on the ballhead stem). But when mounting non-keyed components to each other a threadlocker will add a second level of safety redundancy (beyond the clamping force of the screw).

Jun 06, 2010 at 10:55 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Red loctite is some serious stuff. It's used in heavy industrial applications where a bolt coming loose could be extremely costly. Once it sets, you can't break it loose even using an impact wrench. You have to heat it to several hundred degrees to break it down. Anyone using this stuff on photo equipment has to be nicknamed "wackjob".

BTW, I don't use any sort of threadlocker on photo equipment.

Jun 06, 2010 at 11:11 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

So far what I have is:

Loctite Permanent: Bob Johnson, Earthbound Light, http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/replacing-quick-release-part2.html

Loctite Removable: bitmaker and picfox

No Loctite: Lars

Jun 06, 2010 at 01:37 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

When I say no loctite, I talk about tripod/ballhead. All my ballheads I have always bought with the clamp already on them.

Jun 06, 2010 at 02:11 PM
helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Lars Johnsson wrote:
When I say no loctite, I talk about tripod/ballhead. All my ballheads I have always bought with the clamp already on them.

+1...

Jun 06, 2010 at 02:36 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

OK, what I think I have then is:

1. Tripod to ball head connection
a. Permanent Loctite threadlocker: No one
b. Removable Loctite threadlocker: bitmaker
c. No threadlocker: Lars

2. Ball head to lever clamp connection
a. Permanent Loctite threadlocker: Bob Johnson, Earthbound Light, http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/replacing-quick-release-part2.html
b. Removable Loctite threadlocker: bitmaker
c. No threadlocker: picfox

Markins applies threadlocker to the clamp connection, but I don't know what type it is.

Jim

Jun 06, 2010 at 02:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Leverlock clamp to the ballhead red locktite. you, essentially, will consider it permanent. it won't come off in normal and all but the most abnormal conditions. you do not want to make removal an easy option in this case because it can spin off. hence the superior design of the RRS ballhead attachment system that doesn't require any loctite at all and allows for the versatility of removability.

connecting ballhead assy to the platform of your tripod. none should be necessary depending on the make. usually there are stop screws available on the platform for said use. you can if you wish apply a small amount of blue loctite that when it is time to remove will easily breakaway. again on a reasonable quality tripod it is for the most part unnecessary.

i found it necessary to blue loctite my GT2540ex and my RRS BH40 to each other due to the angles i had it work at. later they redesigned their platform to include the above mentioned stop screw and i paid the $27 to replace the original. no more loctite on that one.

Jun 06, 2010 at 07:04 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Never would use any threadlocker on the ballhead to tripod. That's just asking for trouble and it isn't needed in general.

I also have all Markins ballheads with RRS clamps that I've installed myself. If there were a problem, I'd put a weak threadlocker on it but I've never had a problem and so would not recommend that any loctite or equivalent be used there.

J.

Jun 06, 2010 at 07:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

that is even though markins themselves use red loctite on their own product between the clamp and the ballhead itself? well, what can i say.

and using the blue loctite between the ballhead and the base on the threads is no issue as i can remove it using my hands w/o any tools. and again that is because gitzo fell a little short on the design of the original platform in the friction department at any angle beyond level with a real load on it. i mean after all their cousins over at manfrotto had been using the stop screw for years. i think thats called engineering in a vacuum. at least they cleared up their mistake and made the fix available. and of course for a price.

Jun 06, 2010 at 10:57 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

I'm using a BH-55 on a 3541LS and if there's anything I don't need it's any sort of Loctite. It's hard enough to get the ballhead off as it is. I use RRS lever clamps on RRS ballhead, Cambo and Manfrotto gearheads and never use any threadlocker and never have anything come loose. It's a non factor as far as I'm concerned. Coming from bicycling, we always used blue, red and green Loctite, depending on the application, and only the green was a problem to undo. The red was never an issue, just a bit stronger than the blue. If I were mounting something on the outside of a helicopter or something with that much vibration, I might consider, but tripods themselves rarely see that level of vibration.

Jun 06, 2010 at 11:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

Green Loctite 290- wicking type med to high strength http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/290-EN.PDF

Red Loctite 272- High Strength http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/271-EN.pdf

Blue Loctite 243- Medium Strength http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93815_243EN.pdf

Edited on Jun 07, 2010 at 12:05 AM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2010 at 11:55 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

When I added a clamp from RRS to my Linhof Profil II ballhead, RRS recommended using Loctite 242 (the blue stuff) on the threads between the clamp and the head.

Jun 06, 2010 at 11:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

did you want a permanent bond or a more easily removable one? a 243 bond can be undone with relative ease.

Jun 07, 2010 at 12:03 AM
wlachan
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

I use steel epoxy.

Seriously, there is no point using any threadlock at all. A properly tightened head on Gitzo can be difficult to remove. If you are having difficulty, wear a rubber glove, grip the base of the head and one hard turn. I guarantee you will curse yourself when you tried to remove it. Have fun!

Jun 07, 2010 at 02:06 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tripod to Ballhead Loctite Threadlocker Recommendation

sjms wrote:
that is even though markins themselves use red loctite on their own product between the clamp and the ballhead itself? well, what can i say.

and using the blue loctite between the ballhead and the base on the threads is no issue as i can remove it using my hands w/o any tools. and again that is because gitzo fell a little short on the design of the original platform in the friction department at any angle beyond level with a real load on it. i mean after all their cousins over at manfrotto had been using the stop screw for
...Show more

All I can tell you is that it has worked for me. I've never had either a ballhead or a clamp come loose and be a problem. If it works, don't fix it. If you don't need to be putting glue on the threads then don't.

j.

Jun 07, 2010 at 07:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.