Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2010 · Lenses for night sky

Chris VenHaus

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Lenses for night sky

Reporting back on my findings for the Canon 24mm f.1L and Zeiss 35mm f2.0. While the Zeiss has some sagittal coma wide open, it's fairly well controlled, and the sharpness at f2.0 is excellent. On the other hand, the Canon mkII was a huge disappointment. Not only was the sagittal coma awful wide open, but it didn't get well controlled until f2.8. Since my Zeiss 21mm f2.8 is as good or better with this type of coma, I'd say the Zeiss is still the winner here. I plan on doing some backpacking in the Cascades in the next few days, and the lenses of choice wil be 35-70 Zeiss, 14-24mm Nikon, 35mm f2.0 Distagon, and 21mm Distagon. The Canon 35mm f1.4L and 24mm f1.4 mkII get to stay in the bag...

Aug 02, 2010 at 01:24 AM
qtluong

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Lenses for night sky

I agree with the assessment of the Canon 24/1.4 II. I was pretty sold on the "concept" of the lens, but when I tested it, I also found the coma at f1.4 and f2.0 excessive. My plan is now to try to get hold of the new Nikon 24/1.4 for testing.

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password