Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2010 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

I tried the CV 90 briefly yesterday on a 5D MkII, in comparison with a Zeiss 100 MP and a C/Y 35-70.
IMHO the bottle is half-empty or half-full. I agree with the OP that it is a nice lens, apparently (I didn't go past shooting a few comparisons) devoid of "nasties". It is well made, and compact, and relatively inexpensive, for a lens that can go from portrait to macro. That is the half-full side.
The half-empty side is that people hoping to get a Zeiss lens without the bulk, weight, name and cost are going to be disappointed. The rendition, while of good quality IMHO, speaks more Japanese than German. The relative lack of micro-contrast, and the slight blandness of the colours, to my eyes at least, are definitely not Zeiss, but reminded me more of some of the better Canon lenses which I owned, such as the 85 f:1.8.
Thus, if someone is looking for Zeiss macro ability on the cheap, the C/Y 35-70 is a better bet, but a pain to use in comparison to the nice little CV.
If on the other hand one wants a good lens with portrait/macro ability, I don't know a single Canon lens that can do what this CV does for that money.

Jun 13, 2010 at 07:38 AM
jabog6
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Seems disappointing, especially compared to the C/Y 85/2.8.

(of course we should wait for more people to get their hands on one)

Jun 13, 2010 at 01:08 PM
Conner999
• • • •
p.3 #3 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Owned the complete SL1 line (75-180) and while loved them all with the exception of the 125 (never took to it), I sold them as prices peaked under assumption that a) things had gotten a bit silly and b) CV would re-issue them in SLII. That said, I did vow to replace them as they were re-released (125 excepted - preferred the Leica 100 or Mamiya 120). Also owned the CV 40 Asph and 58 SLII's and will also be replacing them in EoS - but that's another story ;>

Having also owned a large number of CY, some Hassy V and later ZF glass (35, 50M, 100M), none of the CV lenses, while VERY sharp and well corrected for CA, etc (as mentioned above) will give you that T* look of deep contrast and OOC saturation.

If you prefer the Zeiss T* look, only CY, ZF/ZE or Hassy V T* glass (also very nice on an SLR BTW), Rollei-Zeiss, etc., will give you what you're looking for. It's not so much a "German" look (e.g. Leica, Voigtlander) but a very specific Zeiss look that no one (I've seen yet) has really tried (or succeeded) in emulating. In short, if you want Zeiss rendition OOC on a less-than-Z_ budget, the only solution is adapters + ___ etc.

APO correction and resolution aside, the CV color and contrast is more akin to what you'd see from a modern Leica, or as mentioned above, one of the top Canon or Nikon lenses. I actually tested my CV 90 SL1 against my Leica 90/2 APO Asph and starting at F4, the images were indistinguishable in terms of resolution and the CV had less fringing and better bokeh (the 90AA while silly sharp and SMOOTH is known for being not as well corrected for CA or as 'buttery' as it's comparable Leica brethren). The 90AA was sold shortly thereafter.

Philber - quick question. Have an email into Stephen Gandy, but the EoS version you tried, I assume it's the same as images of the 40/2 Asph EoS I've seen - as in focus is the normal CCW (from shooter's perspective) to infinity? I'm 99.9% sure the answer is yes, but have yet to find an image OF the Canon-mount 90 anywhere.

Jun 13, 2010 at 02:12 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Yes, Conner, the CV I tried is a EF, or EOS one, in native mount, from the first batch to reach France. Not sure excactly what you mean with CCW etc...

Jun 13, 2010 at 03:30 PM
Conner999
• • • •
p.3 #5 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Focus rotation is 'rest of world' vs Nikon as in CounterClockWise (from photog's perspective) as distance increases.

Jun 13, 2010 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AhamB
• • • •
p.3 #6 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Never mind.

Jun 13, 2010 at 03:58 PM
vallejo
• •
p.3 #7 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Yesterday I received my Voigt 90mm EOS mount.After about 100 shots on a 5D MKII, here is my impression.
I do have the Zeiss ZE 21mm and 35.So of course I compare to them (focal lenght appart,of course,just IQ).
These are two completely different leagues. The Voigt is ok, but very much like a good Canon lens. Some use the word "clincal"for this. As a doctor, I agree...(8-). Images are good, color rendition is ok, it's sharp. It just do not have a hint of that Zeiss "thing", whatever it is,microcontrast,wow, whatever... Don't even try to compare them...I'll probably eventually sell this and save the money for the ZE 100 f2...

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:12 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.3 #8 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

vallejo wrote:
Yesterday I received my Voigt 90mm EOS mount.After about 100 shots on a 5D MKII, here is my impression.
I do have the Zeiss ZE 21mm and 35.So of course I compare to them (focal lenght appart,of course,just IQ).
These are two completely different leagues. The Voigt is ok, but very much like a good Canon lens. Some use the word "clincal"for this. As a doctor, I agree...(8-). Images are good, color rendition is ok, it's sharp. It just do not have a hint of that Zeiss "thing", whatever it is,microcontrast,wow, whatever... Don't even try to compare them...I'll probably eventually
...Show more

That's exactly my conclusion too. Heck, my old Nikon 75-150/3.5 is just as good as the Voigtländer.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.3 #9 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

I have my CV 90 up for sale . And yes, I bought a ZF 100 MP to replace it . You guys are correct, it is definitely not a Zeiss look. I thought so at first because it reminded me of the ZF 50 Planar, but not so much after more use. I will say that it resembles Zeiss in one way and one way only.....when I do not get a '3D' look to my 50 f/1.4 ZF the pics still look very 'crisp' in a way. I think this CV looks similar in that regards, that it looks very 'crisp'/'clean' not sure the exact terms, but that is the only of the ZF lenses that I have tried and the only situations where I can get slightly similar results. Microcontrast just isn't there in this lens.

I can also vouch that out of the 50+ different Nikon branded lenses that I have tried, none compare in sharpness wide open to this CV. This thing is extremely sharp wide open and the bokeh is very smooth looking. The strength of this lens is sharpness and bokeh. Color and microcontrast just aren't there

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password