Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2010 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Daniel Moore wrote:
Hows it look for purple fringe on high contrast edges. As much as I loved the Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro the purple fringe was difficult to accept. It literally ruins some images.

purple fringe is ONLY prevelant when shot wide open in the harshest of conditions. You almost have to try to get it. Like I mentioned above, easily corrected in PP

May 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #2 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

rsolti13 wrote:
The zoom ring is really tough....

You mean focus ring.

May 11, 2010 at 04:54 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.2 #3 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

AhamB wrote:
You mean focus ring.

Duh......

May 11, 2010 at 05:06 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Well finally someone filled the niche for slow 90mm lenses.

May 21, 2010 at 08:10 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

TWoK wrote:
I think they have a 50 year lease on the Voigtlander name from Carl Zeiss, the actual name holder.

No, they've just got the contract to produce lenses for Zeiss. The ZE/ZF/ZK/ZS lenses and the ZM lenses which are made in Japan (not all ZM lenses are Cosina-built) are all Zeiss designs built to Zeiss QC at Zeiss direction. Zeiss chooses what gets made. Sony ZA's are somewhat similar, but are Zeiss designs produced at Sony's request and by Sony. IE Sony chooses what lens will be made, Zeiss does the design, Sony the manufacturing and Zeiss the QC. With Cosina it's Zeiss chooses the lens, does the design, Cosina builds it and then Zeiss does the QC.

What Cosina does have is a license to the Voigtlander name. All the Voigtlander stuff is Cosina designs (although often based on optical configurations that the old Voigtlander used).

May 21, 2010 at 08:29 PM
TWoK
• • • •
p.2 #6 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

mawz wrote:
No, they've just got the contract to produce lenses for Zeiss. The ZE/ZF/ZK/ZS lenses and the ZM lenses which are made in Japan (not all ZM lenses are Cosina-built) are all Zeiss designs built to Zeiss QC at Zeiss direction. Zeiss chooses what gets made. Sony ZA's are somewhat similar, but are Zeiss designs produced at Sony's request and by Sony. IE Sony chooses what lens will be made, Zeiss does the design, Sony the manufacturing and Zeiss the QC. With Cosina it's Zeiss chooses the lens, does the design, Cosina builds it and then Zeiss does the QC.

What Cosina
...Show more
What I was saying has nothing to do with the Zeiss branded lenses, but thanks for the book.

From here: http://peat.org/cvfaq.html
Voigtländer was founded in 1756 in Austria, and started producing cameras in 1840. The Schering Gruppe took over the company in 1924, and sold it to Zeiss Ikon in 1956. In 1970, the company was fully absorbed by Zeiss, who then sold the camera making rights to Rollei in 1974. After a few years of neglect, RingFoto acquired the complete brand in the 1980s, and has been using it for various products (point and shoot cameras, film, accessories) in their retail stores.

In the late 1990's Cosina licensed the Voigtländer brand for its new line of manual SLRs, rangefinders, and lenses. Although
...Show more

May 21, 2010 at 08:41 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Oops, misread that line as 'Zeiss name from Carl Zeiss' as I knew Zeiss didn't own the Voigtlander name.

May 21, 2010 at 08:43 PM
TWoK
• • • •
p.2 #8 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

They did at least until RingFoto bought it.

May 21, 2010 at 08:56 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #9 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

ISO1600 wrote:
Almost none of the lenses from either line (ZF or SLII) have any personality, but most of them are technically excellent or damn-near perfect lenses.

Interesting! To me, the three Voigtländer and two Zeiss lenses I've owned, have had more personality than anything else.

May 21, 2010 at 09:51 PM
TWoK
• • • •
p.2 #10 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Makten wrote:
Interesting! To me, the three Voigtländer and two Zeiss lenses I've owned, have had more personality than anything else.

Which lenses were those? I love all of my ZM lenses for sure.

May 21, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Makten
• • • •
p.2 #11 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

TWoK wrote:
Which lenses were those? I love all of my ZM lenses for sure.

CV 40/2
CV 35/1.4
CV 28/2
ZM 35/2.8
ZF 35/2

The ones with the most "personality" was the CV 35 and 28. Very "old school" rendering, but with modern color and contrast. A nice mix between new and old style. What made me sell 'em was the focus shift. Probably not a problem with film, but a pain in the ass on digital (M8).

May 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Makten wrote:
CV 40/2
CV 35/1.4
CV 28/2
ZM 35/2.8
ZF 35/2

The ones with the most "personality" was the CV 35 and 28. Very "old school" rendering, but with modern color and contrast. A nice mix between new and old style. What made me sell 'em was the focus shift. Probably not a problem with film, but a pain in the ass on digital (M8).

As much as I liked the 40/2, it never did seem to have much personality, just a very competent lens. The other CV's I've owned or shot with do however.

Personally I currently own the 28/1.9 and 35/2.5 in LTM and 58/1.4 SLII in F mount.

May 22, 2010 at 12:11 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #13 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

mawz wrote:
As much as I liked the 40/2, it never did seem to have much personality, just a very competent lens. The other CV's I've owned or shot with do however.

Maybe the 40 is the least "personal", but to me it was unique because of the odd focal length combined with good speed and compactness. So I guess I used it in a way that made it personal.

May 22, 2010 at 07:53 AM
TWoK
• • • •
p.2 #14 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Makten wrote:
CV 40/2
CV 35/1.4
CV 28/2
ZM 35/2.8
ZF 35/2

Well talking about voigtlander lenses, the lens with no personality at all is the 40/2.

May 24, 2010 at 12:34 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #15 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

TWoK wrote:
Well talking about voigtlander lenses, the lens with no personality at all is the 40/2.

Out of curiosity, what lenses have the most "personality" according to you?

May 24, 2010 at 09:52 AM
TWoK
• • • •
p.2 #16 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Lenses that have a unique look. I think the 40/2 is a nice lens, but it just looks to clinical at times. Of the ZM lenses I have the 21/4.5 really stands out as having lots of character and pizzaz. I've not used the other lenses you noted in your post, but another CV lens that is lifeless is the 21/4. It is very sharp, very nice, but there is just nothing extraordinary about the way it draws, on the other hand the 35/1.2 is full of about as much character as you'll find anywhere.

May 24, 2010 at 10:04 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #17 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

TWoK wrote:
Lenses that have a unique look. I think the 40/2 is a nice lens, but it just looks to clinical at times. Of the ZM lenses I have the 21/4.5 really stands out as having lots of character and pizzaz. I've not used the other lenses you noted in your post, but another CV lens that is lifeless is the 21/4. It is very sharp, very nice, but there is just nothing extraordinary about the way it draws, on the other hand the 35/1.2 is full of about as much character as you'll find anywhere.

I see what you mean, and I can agree to a little bit. But on the other hand; most lenses is just as "lifeless" because they aren't unique. You just don't get anything for free from them.
Two of the most "personal" lenses in that sense that I've tried, would be the Nikkor 50/1.2 and 85/1.8 MF.

May 24, 2010 at 03:18 PM
TWoK
• • • •
p.2 #18 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

I like the 50/1.2, but it renders very flatly wide open. The 85/1.8 pre-ai on the other hand is just chock full of swirly character.

May 25, 2010 at 02:00 AM
Edgar M
• • •
p.2 #19 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Anyone know if the CV 35/1.2 will be coming in a Canon mount?

Jun 11, 2010 at 07:11 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #20 · MORE PICS!!! Voigtlander 90 f/3.5 SL II first impression

Edgar Maguyon wrote:
Anyone know if the CV 35/1.2 will be coming in a Canon mount?

Yes, I know that it won't. The register distance is about 2/3 of the EF mount ditto, so there's no chance in the world that it could come true.

Jun 11, 2010 at 09:49 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password