FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              329      
       331              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.330 #1 · p.330 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE image thread and taken the evening of July 16, 2015, about 22 minutes before sunset looking at farmers fields, New Tripoli, PA. Image taken with my tripod mounted Leica R 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt lens and my A7r, ISO 100, lens set to f16 for 1/10 second and processed in LR6.

Rich

Aug 29, 2015 at 05:31 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.330 #2 · p.330 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE images thread and taken at 8:01 AM on June 10, 2015 of the plant and flowers Fly Poison ("Amianthium muscitoxicum"), Big Meadows, Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. Image taken with my tripod mounted Leica R 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lens with my Leica R 1.4X Apo Extender and my A7r; ISO 400, lens set to effective aperture of f8 at 1/320 second and processed in LR6.

Rich

Aug 30, 2015 at 06:35 AM
teiki arii
• • •
p.330 #3 · p.330 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Good evening everybody,
Yesterday, I was in Barcelona, Spain. I love Barcelona, it is a town of life. I like going in tapas restaurant with my alter ego and my sons. One of the best, to my eyes, is "cerveceria catalana". I took some photos to let you know about it, someday if you want to visit the capital of Catalunya.
What I like is "cuttlefish"...

Canon EOS 6D, Leica-R 50/2 ROM(II), ISO200, 1/125s @ f:2.8. LR5.7 SEPRO2.

Canon EOS 6D, Leica-R 50/2 ROM(II), ISO500, 1/60s @ f:2.8. LR5.7 SEPRO2.

Aug 30, 2015 at 03:23 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.330 #4 · p.330 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Sony A7RII Leica 90mm Elmarit-R F/2.8

Aug 30, 2015 at 06:00 PM
coogee
• • •
p.330 #5 · p.330 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lovely colours, I am waiting on delivery of the Elpro 3 for my 90 Cron-R to try out some pseudo macro with it now Spring is with us in the South.

I've never seen FE extension tubes, are these just shot at MFD, or with some kind of tube?

28 Elmarit v2

180 APO-Telyt

Aug 30, 2015 at 06:36 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.330 #6 · p.330 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Getting caught back up with camera things. Glad to see others still making great things happen with R glass. :-) And I don't think I've ever seen so many nice R lenses on the B&S!

Dale, would you mind sharing how those last three photos were processed? The greens look spot on to me and the colors have more pop than I'm used to. If that's just how the A7RII sings, I might be able to avoid the cost of a Leica and therefore snag one of those B&S deals.

Cheers,
Jon

Aug 30, 2015 at 06:38 PM
aly324
• • •
p.330 #7 · p.330 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Purely anecdotally R lenses seemed to yield the richest colors immediately (given the same RAW processing in Lightroom) on my A7R versus the A7S and A7 ii, both of which seemed more subdued color-wise.

Aug 30, 2015 at 09:41 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.330 #8 · p.330 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

I have used the same R lens on A7s, A7r, A7r with Kolari Mod and I agree the color pops on the A7RII

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:06 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.330 #9 · p.330 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

With these photos, and those samples with foliage that I've found scattered around the net, the A7R II is definitely impressing me as far as color goes. Needless to say, noise performance knocks the socks off of my NEX-7, too. What I haven't been able to determine is if the dark- to mid-tone posterization can be avoided by using, say, Capture One. But that's a topic for another thread. :-)

Aly324 -- catching up from earlier this month re: Speed Booster -- yes, my zoom lenses have what appears to be a removable shroud, but it is under the ROM contacts mount and looks like removing it would both allow more dust into the lenses and increase the amount of stray light. I've read it as being described as just three screws and a cosmetic shroud, but that doesn't seem to describe what I'm seeing. Yet reflecting on how much better the Ultra was than my Mark I Speed Booster has given me the itch to upgrade.

In a way, this all sort of reminds me of the first time I shot with my Elmarit-R 35. I thought I liked the lenses I used before. Afterwards, I couldn't stop looking at the subtle ways in which the Leica was better. I'm pretty sure I should never let anyone put an S with the 30-90 into my hands, or look too closely at the other Leica image thread.

Cheers,
Jon

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:34 PM
chasdfg
• • •
p.330 #10 · p.330 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

coogee, really love the 1st of your earlier set on this page, and both your shots of the 2nd one.

ebookman, lovely flowers and colours!

I agree that once I saw the subtle ways the Leicas rendered, I couldn't go back. I do enjoy some zeiss "clarity", but as a whole, native glass of Nikon, Canon, Sony don't appeal so much any more.

My last few shots with the 80lux
Exit to the left by aFrIcanSH

Penguin and the girl by aFrIcanSH

Untitled by aFrIcanSH

80lux Swan by aFrIcanSH

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

aly324
• • •
p.330 #11 · p.330 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
With these photos, and those samples with foliage that I've found scattered around the net, the A7R II is definitely impressing me as far as color goes. Needless to say, noise performance knocks the socks off of my NEX-7, too. What I haven't been able to determine is if the dark- to mid-tone posterization can be avoided by using, say, Capture One. But that's a topic for another thread. :-)

Aly324 -- catching up from earlier this month re: Speed Booster -- yes, my zoom lenses have what appears to be a removable shroud, but it is under the ROM contacts
...Show more

Jon, it seems to me that upgrading your NEX-7 to a Sony A7 ($700 used?) would serve you better than upgrading the SB to Ultra! Or are you attached to the NEX-7 for other reasons?

Aug 31, 2015 at 06:12 AM
teiki arii
• • •
p.330 #12 · p.330 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Hello,
Leica is not only a matter of color, but also a matter of grey scale. I have both Sigma Art 50/1.4 and Art 35/1.4. I prefer the colour and the grey scale of Leica-R 50/2 and 35/2. Sigma are excellent lenses in all compartiment, but they are huge, very big and I prefer to work with Leica-R. Flare resistance WO is quite better on Sigma (except for the Leica-R 28/2.8 ROM which is excellent), probably thanks to aspherical lenses.

http://www.summilux.net/perso/teiki%20arii/Puts_Column_50-60_mm_Leica_R_Lenses_en.pdf

Aug 31, 2015 at 08:17 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.330 #13 · p.330 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

aly324 wrote:
Jon, it seems to me that upgrading your NEX-7 to a Sony A7 ($700 used?) would serve you better than upgrading the SB to Ultra! Or are you attached to the NEX-7 for other reasons?

Quite a few of them. :-) Or, more accurately, not so much that I'm attached to the NEX-7 but that I haven't found anything else convincing. I don't like the colors I've seen from Sony, although the A7R-II initially appears to be an exception. This is one of the main reasons I've been working in black and white, after working with many different techniques and programs to get images to a pleasant quality and consistently failing. (With the Ultra, I also got a Fuji X-E2; I find their colors far better.) I'm also strongly left-eye dominant, making a centered viewfinder on a compact camera quite crowded, leading to poked eyes and many smudges on my eyeglasses. This weekend I noticed, though, that if I increase the brightness of the EVF then I find it more acceptable to use my right eye, so that might be overcome through practice; if I can get a camera set up so that I can use only front controls while shooting, my glasses wouldn't get smudged even if shooting with my left eye. The last major point is that there is no clear alternative to my R lenses, and so far every time I've found a bit of money in my pockets and the desire for a new camera I end up putting that money toward a new R lens. If my NEX-7 failed, an A7 series camera would be a fine replacement, but so far it would be another compromise camera and I'd rather prefer to buy something that'll be more enjoyable to use.

My current plan is to buy a Leica; I like the quality of their files and I enjoy tools that feel good in hand, so that seems like an "investment" in photography that would serve me well. They're also the only camera maker currently making sensors designed for film lenses, which I'm convinced would help me get the most out of my R lenses. I have been planning on waiting for the next round of cameras to be announced, expecting to end up with an M 240 once those prices drop, probably following that up with an M 28 of one sort or another in a year or two, but if a fully capable "R solution" is released then that would be my no-hesitation purchase, funds willing. I think, though, that I might start reading through all of the comments on M lenses on the A7R-II, follow what happens with the Kolari mod there, and perhaps wander over to the local camera store to see how one feels in hand once they are generally available. I'm willing, and might be able, to spend the money necessary on a Leica, but I'd rather spend less if something else meets my desires.

Cheers,
Jon

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:28 AM
teiki arii
• • •
p.330 #14 · p.330 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Good evening,
Olympic Torch, Barcelona, 30th August, 2015.

Canon EOS 6D, Leica-R 50/2 ROM(II), ISO100, 1/1000s @ f:8.0. LR5.7 SEPRO2.

Aug 31, 2015 at 02:54 PM
teiki arii
• • •
p.330 #15 · p.330 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Hi,
Leica-R Apo Asph 90/2 and Leica Apo-Telyt-R Modular 280/2.8 examples.

http://www.summilux.net/perso/teiki%20arii/Puts_Column_Leica_Apo-Telyt-R_Modulsystem_en.pdf

http://www.summilux.net/perso/teiki%20arii/Puts_Column_80-100_mm_Leica_R_Lenses_en.pdf

SO Wesley, Canon EOS 6D, Leica Apo-Telyt-R Modular 280/2.8, ISO800, 1/125s @ f1:3.4. LR5 SEP2.

MAISURADZE Nino, Canon EOS 6D, Leica-R Apo Asph 90/2, ISO400, 1/125s @ f1:2.4. LR5 SEP2.

Aug 31, 2015 at 03:38 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.330 #16 · p.330 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Photo cross posted in the Sony FE thread and taken at 9:11 AM, June 29, 2015 looking from the Egg Rock overlook Mount Desert Island, Acadia NP, Maine at Egg Rock (Island) and Egg Rock Light (and appurtenant buildings and structures) and the Maine mainland. Egg Rock Lighthouse which is outside of Acadia NP, is about 2 miles from Mount Desert Island and sits at the mouth of Frenchman Bay. Image taken with my tripod mounted Leica R 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt lens and my A7r, ISO 100, lens set to probably f8 for 1/1250 second. Processed in LR6.

Rich

Sep 02, 2015 at 06:11 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.330 #17 · p.330 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
I don't like the colors I've seen from Sony, although the A7R-II initially appears to be an exception. This is one of the main reasons I've been working in black and white, after working with many different techniques and programs to get images to a pleasant quality and consistently failing.

I need to eat my hat here. I decided to sit down and have a final try at making the colors work. I don't think I did anything new, but perhaps the combination of time away from photography and about a year of learning about and experimenting with color processing helped. At any rate, with the 3-way color balance tools in Capture One I was able to arrive at reliably good color with my NEX-7. While I haven't been able to make the colors "pop" yet, I have been able to remove the "digital gauze" from the images I've looked at. I'm embarrassed at having been stuck on the colors for so long but excited to have learned how to clear that hurdle. I felt like I should say something to contradict my earlier statements about Sony color, which may not be the best ever but which certainly meets my needs after setting up a color profile.

Regards,
Jon

Sep 02, 2015 at 08:44 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.330 #18 · p.330 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
I need to eat my hat here. I decided to sit down and have a final try at making the colors work. I don't think I did anything new, but perhaps the combination of time away from photography and about a year of learning about and experimenting with color processing helped. At any rate, with the 3-way color balance tools in Capture One I was able to arrive at reliably good color with my NEX-7. While I haven't been able to make the colors "pop" yet, I have been able to remove the "digital gauze" from the images I've looked
...Show more

Don't feel so bad. I can't make heads or tails of Sony colors either. The closest I could get to decent colors with the D750 files is to emulate film using a modified VSCO profile (and it doesn't fit all my work needs). Luckily I have Leica gear.

Sep 02, 2015 at 10:18 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.330 #19 · p.330 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

adamdewilde wrote:
Don't feel so bad. I can't make heads or tails of Sony colors either. The closest I could get to decent colors with the D750 files is to emulate film using a modified VSCO profile (and it doesn't fit all my work needs). Luckily I have Leica gear.

To be fair, part of my blame should fall on Apple. I was content with Sony colors until I started editing photos on a Mac, where the screen is well beyond anything else I had used. Even though it has been a struggle, working with Sony has forced me to learn how to manipulate colors to my liking, a skill that will serve me well even if/when I use Leica for capture as well as for drawing onto the sensor. Regardless, I'm now able to move from "I want to get there but I'm not sure how, I guess I'll have to buy a better camera" to "let's go back through the catalog and see what old gems I can polish up." I'm quite excited to see what happens next in this hobby of mine. :-)

Cheers,
Jon

Sep 02, 2015 at 03:14 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.330 #20 · p.330 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Sony A7RII Leica 90mm Elmarit-R F/2.8

Sep 02, 2015 at 07:00 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.