FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              321      
       323              356       357       end

Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.322 #1 · p.322 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon, thanks for keep sharing with us. and keep this thread alive.

looking back what I have done with R lens, compare all the recent experience with 'great' and 'new' addition in the market which don;t bring picture melt my heart I think I will be back soon. Keep my eyes on 35cron and may adding 80lux or 90cron to my bag again.

Leitax come up with auto aperture F mount, that is really interesting. With DF, a camera I never thought I could fall in love with but turns out my favorite camera ever used : good sensor with low light and good color, light body, manual ISO and exposure, manual shutter speed. bright OVF. more responsive than D700 I had with quieter shutter, 4M more pixel. what I can ask, just make it even smaller next time with better OVF.

At least some pictures to share, a while ago. time goes by fast.

35cron

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM
clmusic
• • •
p.322 #2 · p.322 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

^ Nice images, Michael.
Is it easier to focus MF lenses with the Df compared to D700 or D810? I am thinking to switch to a Df from my D4 since I use my Leica R lenses more often then Nikon AF lenses.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:26 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.322 #3 · p.322 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

clmusic wrote:
^ Nice images, Michael.
Is it easier to focus MF lenses with the Df compared to D700 or D810? I am thinking to switch to a Df from my D4 since I use my Leica R lenses more often then Nikon AF lenses.

No, i hope there is but apparently not.I am debating if I want change the focus screen. The stock one is about f2.2 to f2.5, based on light change in view finder I got from Chang aperture. Since I have 50cron, plan 35cron and 90cron, all at f2. It will be a wash. I don't plan too big size lens this time given the size and ISO Performance of DF.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:32 AM
clmusic
• • •
p.322 #4 · p.322 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

I see. Thanks.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.322 #5 · p.322 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

mcbroomf wrote:
You may already be using it on an earlier 5D body, in which case ignore my comments etc, but the 28-90 will foul the 5D mirror as it comes, the same as the 21-35. To stop this the rear shroud needs to be removed. That's OK on the 21-35 but try it on the 28-90 and something important springs off and gets lost. I friend of mine had this happen many years ago and had to send the lens to Leica for repair. I think there may be a way to get it working, perhaps others can comment.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the heads up. The 28-90 is adapted with the leitax kit so no issues on a 5d2. The 21-35 even with the shroud removed catches the 5d2 mirror at the wide end 21-23+ish, though there is a simple work around for shooting at the wide end with live view enabled, which is fine as I'm a committed tripod user.

A couple of recent images in the hills with the 28-90 & 1Ds3

Mar 21, 2015 at 09:53 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.322 #6 · p.322 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^ Good stuff, Jon. That's quite the pair of zooms.

A couple of krokus shots to welcome in spring. With the APO-Elmarit 100 at f/8.

a7II_Elmarit100_KrokusH by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

a7II_Elmarit100_KrokusV by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

One welcoming back the APO-Telyt 280/2.8, funky wide open bokeh and all. I haven't had a chance to do much with it aside from test it out, but man am I happy to have it again.

a7II_Telyt280_JacktheBearCub by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

And one with the MR 500 of a still-snowy Long's Peak from about 50 miles away.

a7II_Leica_500MR_LongsPeak by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

Mar 23, 2015 at 01:55 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.322 #7 · p.322 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

D800e and R 60/2.8 Macro.

Mar 23, 2015 at 05:41 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.322 #8 · p.322 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael, that first photo with the 'cron 35 shows off how its field curvature can be an asset, revealing a lot of the scene's context while strongly emphasizing the subject. Great for documentary, even if not so much so for landscapes.

Jon, visiting your country and spending a few days hiking is on my bucket list, thanks to you.

I'm studiously ignoring the APO 100 at the moment. :-)

Jim, that's quite a nice study of texture, tone, and line. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Cheers,
Jon

Mar 23, 2015 at 01:44 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.322 #9 · p.322 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon Tainton wrote:
Mike, thanks for the heads up. The 28-90 is adapted with the leitax kit so no issues on a 5d2. The 21-35 even with the shroud removed catches the 5d2 mirror at the wide end 21-23+ish, though there is a simple work around for shooting at the wide end with live view enabled, which is fine as I'm a committed tripod user.

A couple of recent images in the hills with the 28-90 & 1Ds3

Yes, I think that Leitax was the way I heard come to think of it. If I recall it has to be sent to them. Is that what you did, or did you do the conversion yourself?

Nice to see Welsh hills again. I lived in Newport for 3 years before moving to the US.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.322 #10 · p.322 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Summicron-R 90, wide open, with Speed Booster.

Haystack Rock. Cannon Beach, Oregon.

Cheers,
Jon

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jon Tainton
• •
p.322 #11 · p.322 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

mcbroomf wrote:
Yes, I think that Leitax was the way I heard come to think of it. If I recall it has to be sent to them. Is that what you did, or did you do the conversion yourself?

Nice to see Welsh hills again. I lived in Newport for 3 years before moving to the US.

I did the conversion myself and at one point made a note to book an appointment with the opticians. IIRC the aperture needs to be set to 2.8 or 22 when reconnecting the spring and the aforementioned spring can travel a surprising distance if inadvertently released when extended Ö

Ah, the 'Port, I worked there for a decade, but could only manage a couple of years residence there.

Mar 30, 2015 at 08:57 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.322 #12 · p.322 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
Jon, visiting your country and spending a few days hiking is on my bucket list, thanks to you.

I'm studiously ignoring the APO 100 at the moment. :-)

When your bucket list reaches visiting the UK, drop me a PM and I'll be only to happy to advise you on the best wet weather gear, water proofing agents etc

Some recent images with the 100 APO of Ty Canol National Nature Reserve, a fragment of ancient sessile oak woodland, cloaked with lichens and bryophytes.

Edited on Mar 31, 2015 at 08:55 AM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2015 at 09:07 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.322 #13 · p.322 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

:-)

Cannon Beach, Oregon. March 30, 2015. (1)

Cannon Beach, Oregon. March 30, 2015. (2)

Both 21-35, Rayqual, NEX-7. Probably toward the wider end and around f/8 or f/11.

Cheers,
Jon

Mar 31, 2015 at 03:57 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.322 #14 · p.322 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Decided to practice a little with the APO-Telyt-R 280/2.8 and 1.4x extender, so I went here: WIld Animal Sanctuary. It's unfortunate a place like this has to exist, but they do an amazing job with animals rescued from or surrendered by private owners and entertainment venues. It's a testament to a lot of big hearts that they survive entirely on donations.

I ended up using the NEX-7 primarily (and still cropped most of them to some degree). It's been a while since I used it and it shows. I need to get comfortable with it, though. A friend has invited me to spend a week at his cabin in Montana and I'm sure there will be plenty of wildlife opportunities there.

NEX7_Telyt280_14x_Sunbather by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

NEX7_Telyt280_14x_Royals by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

NEX7_Telyt280_14x_BearHug by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

NEX7_Telyt280_14x_Play by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

NEX7_Telyt280_14x_Play2 by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

Apr 05, 2015 at 06:12 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.322 #15 · p.322 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

My plans for this weekend included taking a bunch of sample images with my various R lenses and writing up a nice report about the differences that I found. I took some sample images this morning off my balcony to get a feel for what I should specifically be testing. What I found was both disappointing and pleasing:

They're all good, but none of them stand out as obviously better and none of them are obviously worse. While I didn't keep track, I think every lens was best at something and worst at another.

Lenses:
21-35
28-70 II
35/2.8 III
35-70/4
50/2 II
90/2 I

I only shoot digital with my NEX cameras, so the Speed Booster or crop throws a wrench into things, adding another reason for not completing my project and providing lots of sample images here. If there's interest, I might repeat the process should I be tempted by the next round of Sony cameras...although that will mostly depend on their ability to deliver a rangefinder-style viewfinder, which my left-eye dominance prefers.

The 21-35 is technically the least interesting of the bunch. Quite a bit of field curvature away from the camera toward the corners leads to blurring at high resolution. The MTF curves tell the story; astigmatism is an issue here. However, at low resolution, the image is quite nice out to the corners and the optical flaws never get in the way of the story of the subject. So I'd say that this is a great documentary or storytelling lens rather than a landscaper's tool. This remains my favorite lens, simply due to its ability to provide a good range of wide-angle views and to get out of the way of the subject matter.

The 28-70 doesn't deserve its poor reputation. Apparently, this later version (which has the same body style as the 35-70/4) was slightly adjusted for better performance at the wide end. Regardless, take a close look at the engineering diagram of the 28-70 versus the 28-90 and you'll see that they employ the same mechanical characteristics. The 28-90 is the successor of the 28-70, and it makes no sense to me that they receive such disparate reviews. In my tests, the 28-70 has the flattest focal plane of my four 35's and far gentler bokeh than the 35-70. There is a midzone dip due to field curvature, but that is only apparent when shooting flat subjects, which tend to make poor images; it has noticeably higher resolution into the corners with flat subjects than any of the other lenses at 35mm. Indeed, if I were to shoot architecture at 35mm, this would be my lens of choice. Bokeh is quite smooth. There's a bit of yellowish tint to the lateral and spherical chromatic aberration, but in general it performs better than the 35-70 as far as outright aberrations go. Yes, the 28-70 distorts; no, that's not really an issue with modern software, although I have yet to generate Lightroom profiles for it, and that's because I haven't found it to be that big of a problem for the kind of shooting I do. I bought this as a foul-weather lens, but it is actually quite nice across the spectrum.

The 35 is absolutely brilliant in the center and with out of focus subjects, but it has a strong to moderate fall-off in resolution toward the edges and then the extreme corners reveal pronounced field curvature. The Summicron 35 II has more gradual field curvature that is quite useful, but the Elmarit's curvature is just annoying. For the rest of the frame, it does very little that one can point to as wrong, it just simply fades away from the excellence of its axial performance. Iím curious to find out how much of this field curvature issue is caused by the combination of Speed Booster and NEX-7.

The 35-70/4 is my newest lens and I haven't had much "real world" experience with it yet. I acquired it for general purpose duty with an emphasis on close focusing (as my lady likes flower shots). Iím not surprised that it isnít categorically superior to the 28-70, but Iím still figuring out their differences. Field curvature is mild; rather flat through most of the frame, then gently bending away from the camera to the corners. Better midzone resolution on flat subjects than the 28-70, but not enough to make it superior for general purpose imagery. The major trait of this lens is its bokeh. It renders blur circles with a highlight on the edge of the circle closest to the image center. This generally avoids double-lined bokeh, but more interestingly is that it creates a false sense of resolution as a blurred line will in fact render a sharp line along the edge of the bokeh. This one-edged bokeh is intriguing to me and will probably be what I focus on over this summer. In terms of color, it feels ďtruerĒ than the 28-70, though I wouldnít notice in images not side-by-side, and it has considerably more purple fringing (though still relatively little in absolute terms). So, with subjects that benefit from hard edges, the 35-70 is preferable; for subjects that benefit from gentle resolution fall-off, the 28-70 is what Iíd select.

The 50 is well known. Lots of character wide open due to strong spherical aberration. Stops down to be my highest-resolving lens in the center at f/4 to f/8, but with substantial fall-off toward the edges. Like with the 21-35, this doesnít interfere with storytelling, but where the subject is along the edge of the frame, as when the photo is of the dawn/dusk sky and the horizon is along the bottom, either zoom will do better at large print sizes. For high contrast lines at f/4 throughout the frame, however, the Summicron will be nearly flawless while the zooms will struggle with fringing. Again, relatively low problems compared to more affordable lenses, but in comparison the difference is noticeable.

The 90 is also well known. As my oldest lens, thereís no surprise that it has lower overall contrast than anything else mentioned here. It behaves like a mild-mannered sibling of the 50; both strengths and weaknesses are similar, just less strong.

Anyhow, I did that assessment and wrote it up to help me clarify my gear strategizing, and Iím sharing it in case anyone finds it interesting. Sorry about not posting images in an image thread. :-)

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:35 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.322 #16 · p.322 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Help me please. How much is this diameter exactly?

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:35 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.322 #17 · p.322 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
Help me please. How much is this diameter exactly?

The tech doc lists the largest diameter as 70mm, which appears to be at the focusing ring.

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 14, 2015 at 01:21 PM
ClausC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.322 #18 · p.322 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Length: 51 mm
Largest diameter: 70 mm
Weight: approx. 490 g

They still have the old datasheets up: http://en.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads

Apr 14, 2015 at 01:30 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.322 #19 · p.322 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB, ClausC thank you! I have the datasheets but why I do not think about this too? This is the largest diameter

Apr 14, 2015 at 06:57 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.322 #20 · p.322 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Now I'm thinking about Mamiya 645AFD with nikon mount (for R lenses of course, seems I can't without this optics) Can't imagine what will be finally...

Apr 14, 2015 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password