FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              319      
       321              356       357       end

Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.320 #1 · p.320 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

A few photos. Limiting myself to shooting wide open at the moment. All Summicron-R 90 on a Speed Booster and NEX-7.

Good morning, Portland. (13)

Good morning, Portland. (14)

Good morning, Portland. (15)

Only first-glance processing, but I'm enjoying the freedom of ignoring resolution at the moment...although the color shift is making me think twice about the latest Speed Booster.

Cheers,
Jon

Feb 13, 2015 at 04:00 AM
coogee
• • •
p.320 #2 · p.320 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

a7r, 35 Cron-R II

Untitled

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.320 #3 · p.320 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

coogee wrote:
a7r, 35 Cron-R II

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7361/16331161630_7c3b520b8f_b.jpg
Untitled

Wow.. thats really good.

Feb 15, 2015 at 02:10 PM
coogee
• • •
p.320 #4 · p.320 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks Mescalamba, the 35 Cron really pops with 3D feeling in this one. I forget if it was wide open or stopped down just a little.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:06 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.320 #5 · p.320 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

mirkoc wrote:
I couldn't find it, has anyone ever compared 35mm R Summicron V2 with Sony RX1?

JonPB wrote:
Since no one else has responded, I'll take a swing at it. My opinion comes firmly from the peanut gallery, as I haven't done a direct comparison, but I've looked at both lenses/systems so maybe my ideas could be useful for you.

From what I've seen, the RX1 lens is very, very good. It is a superior optic to the Summicron. If anything, the Summicron is better corrected for colors--the RX1 has a slight bit more longitudinal chromatic aberration than the Summicron--but the RX1 edges out just about everywhere else. Resolution across the frame, focal plane flatness, distortion, and flare favor
...Show more

i own the rx1 and i've shot the R cron vII briefly around a camera shop. jon is basically right but the cron did not seem to be better corrected for loCA than the rx1. it's true that you can provoke loCA with the rx1, but it is rather difficult and small. the cron seemed to do it pretty regularly shooting metallic oof highlights.

basically the rx1 is a better lens in every measurable way (not sure about distortion though i never checked the cron). the reasons to choose the cron over the rx1 imo are build quality/feel, distictive drawing style (glowier look with slower focus transition and distinctive field curvature), better manual focus, leica colors, and better camera.

Feb 16, 2015 at 04:32 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.320 #6 · p.320 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Haven't had the Leitaxed 180/3.4 APO Telyt out in a while so I took it down to the beach.
Weather not the greatest.

Right after I took the shot below I went back to the car and pulled it off my D800.
I heard a slight sound and looked down to see that the CPU block that Leitax had glued on to the F-mount adapter ring had fallen off into the mirror box of my D800.

Very lucky I noticed it or it could have been disastrous!

I have e-mailed Leitax to have them send me the alignment tools and glue necessary to glue it back on. I'll let folks know what they are going to do. I had assumed that they would have used an epoxy that would just never fail - it seems was wrong!

f/5.6

NIKON D800    180.0 mm f/3.5 lens    180mm    f/3.5    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 17, 2015 at 03:33 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.320 #7 · p.320 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

jhinkey wrote:
Haven't had the Leitaxed 180/3.4 APO Telyt out in a while so I took it down to the beach.
Weather not the greatest.

Right after I took the shot below I went back to the car and pulled it off my D800.
I heard a slight sound and looked down to see that the CPU block that Leitax had glued on to the F-mount adapter ring had fallen off into the mirror box of my D800.

Very lucky I noticed it or it could have been disastrous!

I have e-mailed Leitax to have them send me the alignment tools and glue necessary to glue it
...Show more

Following up: Without hesitation Leitax offered to send me the alignment tools and glue necessary to reattach the CPU block.

Feb 17, 2015 at 04:13 PM
Roni1948
• •
p.320 #8 · p.320 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

6D 28mm v1 at 2.8. This lens gets no respect on forums, but it's great fun to use and yields many keepers!

Getting ready to paint!

Seared tuna

Feb 17, 2015 at 07:13 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.320 #9 · p.320 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

50cron R
My only R lens now

untitled by ZHNL, on Flickr

80lux R
Some last images before I sold them
untitled-31 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-27 by ZHNL, on Flickr
untitled-34 by ZHNL, on Flickr

All with D810

Feb 18, 2015 at 06:55 AM
Almass
• • •
p.320 #10 · p.320 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
50cron R
My only R lens now

Why are you selling your R lenses?

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.320 #11 · p.320 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

S?

Feb 18, 2015 at 06:01 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.320 #12 · p.320 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Almass wrote:
Why are you selling your R lenses?

Long story short, I need money. D810 with stock screen is no longer a preferred way to shooting portrait with Manual lens . The real reason is I don't use them much as before. Nowdays, whenever I use D810, it mostly 14-24, 24-70 for landscape and traveling. S replace it for SLR type portrait. I need prioritize my setup to suit my current need better.

I want add another S lens to my kits.(100cron or 125 APO) It won't happen if I keep buying stuff without moving others away

---------------------------------------------

carstenw wrote:
S?

Feb 18, 2015 at 07:24 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.320 #13 · p.320 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
...the color shift is making me think twice about the latest Speed Booster.

On the off chance that anyone in internet land comes across this while confronting the same problem, I've found that the Speed Booster Ultra also causes color shifts toward the edges of the frame. (The SB on NEX-7 may also contribute significantly to focal plane curvature with my lenses.) Presently, I've built up a small arsenal of Capture One lens cast correction profiles, which are cumbersome but handle the job very well.

a7R prices are coming down to the tempting level, though. Might rent one to see if the color shifts and focal plane curvature issues are taken care of, then buy one when the next one is released and folks here get busy upgrading. :-)

Cheers,
Jon

Feb 19, 2015 at 07:51 PM
Roni1948
• •
p.320 #14 · p.320 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Can't wait to see how the R lenses perform on a 5DS

Feb 19, 2015 at 09:02 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.320 #15 · p.320 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Roni1948 wrote:
Can't wait to see how the R lenses perform on a 5DS

Same as on anything else. But expect base ISO only camera.. even then it looks like it will need NR in setting "always on". I mean, I wish it was really good camera.. but I have gut feeling, it wont happen.

Otherwise, I wouldnt expect per-pixel sharpness with any R lens, some will probably have enough to feed it (28/2.8 v2, most macro ones). But those old desings, most likely not.

Things like 35-70/4 and 80-200/4 might be interesting choice, as they will be probably able to keep up with it.

Feb 19, 2015 at 09:50 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.320 #16 · p.320 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba wrote:
Same as on anything else. But expect base ISO only camera.. even then it looks like it will need NR in setting "always on". I mean, I wish it was really good camera.. but I have gut feeling, it wont happen.

Otherwise, I wouldnt expect per-pixel sharpness with any R lens, some will probably have enough to feed it (28/2.8 v2, most macro ones). But those old desings, most likely not.

Things like 35-70/4 and 80-200/4 might be interesting choice, as they will be probably able to keep up with it.

Most if not all of the R Apo Telyt lenses will keep up with the new camera as well as some of the other very expensive and rare R zoom lenses.

Rich

Feb 19, 2015 at 09:57 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.320 #17 · p.320 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba wrote:

I'm hoping your gut feeling is just a minor medical condition and that the 21-35 and 28-90 will be an interesting choice on the 5DS R

Feb 20, 2015 at 09:42 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.320 #18 · p.320 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Per-pixel sharpness is relatively easy to get with just about any decent lens: stop down to f/5.6, focus carefully, and look in the center of the frame. Even on my 5DS-pixel-density NEX-7, which has possibly one of the worst sensor toppings among high resolution cameras. The problem I encountered wasn't sharpness fall-off as one went away from the axis, it was finding a subject flat enough to test against. Ultimately, the DOF thinness surpassed my interest in testing further, even with a subject about 25m away.

My guess is that, over the next year or so, there will be a lot of Canon threads that have one of the two following themes:
"Why can't my camera focus?" "It does, but the DOF is too thin. Stop down."
"Why isn't my lens sharp?" "It is, but the softness you're seeing is diffraction."

At any rate, I'm not worried about whether my R lenses will perform well on the upcoming sensors. They'll perform better than they do on the current sensors, and I'm already happy with that. Of course, that won't stop me from killing an evening or two by browsing the 5DS threads and seeing history repeat itself.

Cheers,
Jon

Feb 21, 2015 at 01:34 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.320 #19 · p.320 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
Most if not all of the R Apo Telyt lenses will keep up with the new camera as well as some of the other very expensive and rare R zoom lenses.

Rich

Yes, I just hope the price of the 280/2.8 APO Telyt come down from the $7K price I saw today in the pro shop - not gonna happen!

Feb 21, 2015 at 02:30 AM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.320 #20 · p.320 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

jhinkey wrote:
Yes, I just hope the price of the 280/2.8 APO Telyt come down from the $7K price I saw today in the pro shop - not gonna happen!

Unless you have the need for the extra stop of light, get the 280mm f4 Apo Telyt instead of the 280 f2.8 Apo Telyt. I have both and have had the 280mm f2.8 since about 1986. The 280mm f2.8 is large and heavy and does not perform as well as my 280mm f4. Additionally, most people would find that the 280mm f4 handles much better and most prefer the rotating collar over the 280 f2.8. Your Pro Shop seems high by the way and I believe that unfortunately the 280mm f4 Apo Telyt is selling for close to $5,000. Now if the $7,000 is for the 280mm f2.8 Modular Apo Telyt that is possible for an asking price. I am not sure if the 280mm f2.8 Modular Apo Telyt has the same optical design as the original lens, but I suspect that it does.

Rich

Feb 21, 2015 at 04:02 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password