311              357       358       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.310 #1 · p.310 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

jhinkey wrote:
Thanks!

That would be Puget Sound. The ferries are usually on the Seattle-Bremerton run. I have permission from a homeowner to use their back yard to take pics - it has a nearly unobstructed view of the Puget Sound and the Olympics.
I need to change it up sometime soon and go to my other place that's on the North end of Elliot Bay that has a view of downtown as well as the Olypics - it's just a bit of a pain to get to so I don't go often.

I have family in Puyallup area and I see such great photographic opportunities whenever I make the road trip to Washington to visit them. Much more than where I am. I wish the sunsets over here weren't as dull over here (everything is flat). The sunsets and activity on the water over at the Puget Sound and Olympics are fantastic! I could watch the boats all day.

jhinkey wrote:
The A7R loves my 135/2 APO Zeiss, 180/3.4 Leica APO Telyt, and my 90/3.5 APO CV SL-II. Getting perfectly focused shot hand-held is so easy compared to my D800. My D800 has become my tripod queen while the A7R does a lot of hand held work.

I had the 135/2 APO Zeiss in ZE mount, and boy was that and the a7 combo a bit awkward to use. The lens was bigger than the camera that I felt at times the camera wasn't there and I was peering down into the back of the lens mount like a spotting telescope! I wish I had the 135/2 in the Nikon mount. I don't think I would have sold it if it were, but there are the R Telyts though....hmmmm. You are right though, the magnified view and focus peaking of the a7 make MF a breeze. Even with custom focusing screens in my previous DLSRs, I had a bit of trouble nailing focus with MF glass. I think my eyes aren't what they use to be. Haha!

I notice you have a collection of tele's that you use on your a7r. Do you have any other R glass that you've adapted as well? After thinning out my R flock, I 'll only have the 35 & 50 cron and a 35-70/4 vario-elmar to leitax. Once I get the mounts, I'll be sure to post once again in this thread.

Sep 10, 2014 at 06:58 PM
JonPB
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.310 #2 · p.310 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Downtown Portland, OR, USA.

140910 by [email protected], on Flickr

Cheers,
Jon

Edit: 21-35/3.5-4.1 on Speed Booster at 15mm/5.6.

Edited on Sep 11, 2014 at 03:14 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2014 at 04:15 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.310 #3 · p.310 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

aFrIcanSH wrote:
...1 or 2 quick questions...

Most folks here are happy to answer questions, but I didn't see any in there. :-) 16 year-old Leica R glass is practically brand new. A few finish imperfections and minor front-element scratches should in no way affect any lens' performance in the field, so it only affects a Leica's value for those who own them to collect them.

With any new-to-you lens, I'd recommend taking some test shots of boring but predictable subjects and make sure the lens performs harmoniously. In other words, the four corners should appear about the same as each of the others, out-of-focus subjects in the center of the frame shouldn't be blurred in one direction or another, the lens should focus to infinity, and all the controls should work smoothly.

Enjoy your new lens, and share a few shots! If you do have questions, have another go at letting us know what they are.

Cheers,
Jon

Sep 11, 2014 at 04:21 AM
aly324
• •
p.310 #4 · p.310 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

aFrIcanSH wrote:
Hey all, not sure if this is the right place to ask this but 1 or 2 quick questions
I bought an 80lux online from the leicashop vienna, rated A- and described as mint. The exterior is pretty much mint, 1 little nick but the hood arrived unscrewed (so i screwed it back and now its fine, but a tad loose). Is this normal/alright? Not too fussed about this

The hood assembly is supposed to screw off, but it's normally affixed with a tiny screw near the seam. You should check whether that screw is in place. (My Lux 80 is undergoing CLA right now but I know my Lux 35 is like this. Someone should correct me if the 80 is different.)

I think it's rather disturbing that the hood came to you unscrewed. If it's loose enough to unscrew itself in transit, they should've noticed and mentioned it.

I recently bought a R lens from Austria (not Leicashop but another big seller) that was somewhat sneakily described as with "moderate marks," which I'd assumed to refer to cosmetics. Turns out the lens also has some optically irrelevant subtle marks on the glass. I'm more concerned about them from a reselling perspective.

Prior to this I'd always assumed that German-speaking dealers were rigorous and accurate.

Sep 11, 2014 at 04:31 AM
aFrIcanSH
• •
p.310 #5 · p.310 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

I actually tried to unscrew the hood again to check, but i couldn't (even after applying some force) so i think it should be alright. The hood itself is a bit loose and slides in and out easily but when i pull it out and shoot it rarely slides in entirely so I'm not too bothered. I've read that some others have hoods like mine. The aperture ring has a bit of play at 1.4 and f16, not horrible but certainly not like my zeiss 50mp which has some play but is more secure. Not too fussed about this though as the aperture works and clicks fine.

aly324, I assumed so as well. But when i googled cleaning marks and had a look at some pictures, these are no where as bad. They're rather subtle compared to the others but these weren't mentioned at all. Sometimes I wonder if i'm too meticulous. The lens as a whole shoots fine, sharp from f2, glow-y but still sharp at f1.4. Haven't noticed anything odd about it. I'm likewise most concerned about resale prices partly because I paid a bit over my budget for this lens but since i've developed a bad habit of selling off and buying gear all too frequently I think i'll make a conscious effort to hold on to this lens.

I shot a little last night, imo they're not worthy of being posted online but since they're labelled as test shots I'll cut myself some slack

80lux test by aFrIcanSH, on Flickr

Sep 11, 2014 at 09:27 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.310 #6 · p.310 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

My Daughter - apparently she's a Sony girl . . .

180/3.4 APO Telyt wide open on all shots

Every time I get to thinking that the 180/3.4 Telyt is just OK in sharpness up close I take a few images that proves to me otherwise.

NIKON D800    180.0 mm f/3.5 lens    180mm    f/3.5    1/125s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON D800    180.0 mm f/3.5 lens    180mm    f/3.5    1/180s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800    180.0 mm f/3.5 lens    180mm    f/3.5    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 11, 2014 at 03:09 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.310 #7 · p.310 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

One from the 180/3.4 APO Telyt mounted on the GX-7
f/5.6

First Shot Of The Day

DMC-GX7    1/640s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 14, 2014 at 04:02 AM
roschko

p.310 #8 · p.310 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Leitz Wetzlar Summilux-R 1:1.4/50

roschko 2014

Sep 14, 2014 at 02:30 PM
telyt
• • •
p.310 #9 · p.310 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Rufous Hummingbird

Anna's Hummingbird

All: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R

Sep 14, 2014 at 03:36 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.310 #10 · p.310 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

The APO-Elmarit-R 100, a7, and I went here today...

a7_Elmarit100_BDC by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

...and played hide and seek with this guy for a while...

a7_Elmarit100_Cat by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

a7_Elmarit100_Cat1 by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

... until I got the light I wanted for this four shot pano.

a7_Elmarit100_InMyTimeofDying by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

Edited on Oct 08, 2014 at 10:02 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2014 at 03:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.310 #11 · p.310 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Three shot pano from the 180/3.4 APO on my A7R. f/5.6.

Sep 15, 2014 at 04:49 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.310 #12 · p.310 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
I have family in Puyallup area and I see such great photographic opportunities whenever I make the road trip to Washington to visit them. Much more than where I am. I wish the sunsets over here weren't as dull over here (everything is flat). The sunsets and activity on the water over at the Puget Sound and Olympics are fantastic! I could watch the boats all day.

I had the 135/2 APO Zeiss in ZE mount, and boy was that and the a7 combo a bit awkward to use. The lens was bigger than the camera that I felt at
...Show more

Nope, just the 180/3.4 Telyt for R glass, though that 280/4 APO Telyt sure looks nice . . .

Sep 15, 2014 at 04:51 AM
cams884
• •
p.310 #13 · p.310 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Taken with the Vario-Elmar 75-200/4.5

Sep 19, 2014 at 02:41 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.310 #14 · p.310 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Low Water by [email protected], on Flickr

Didn't quite nail focus, but that doesn't show at web resolutions. :-) This is also the first image of mine where I've seen dramatic differences between how different programs downsize the image. Makes me want to learn more about output sharpening and such.

Elmarit-R 35, Speed Booster, NEX-7. Probably about f/4.8.

Cheers,
Jon

Sep 19, 2014 at 06:23 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.310 #15 · p.310 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Just performed a Leitax conversion of my 50 Cron-R (two cam) to Nikon F mount. I work the swing/grave shift, and this was all that was interesting a little after midnight after the conversion.

Will play with it some more this weekend.

50mm Cron Teaser by Alpha Geist, on Flickr

Sep 19, 2014 at 08:38 AM
aFrIcanSH
• •
p.310 #16 · p.310 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha/Adam would it be possibly to bring your gear to work? Could get interesting shots too

London has been very kind of late with nice light. Won't last much longer though
lovely london light by aFrIcanSH

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:30 AM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.310 #17 · p.310 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Here are some images cross posted in the Sony A7/A7/r/A7s Image Thread and taken last evening just before and in Magic Hour along Carpet Road, New Tripoli, PA. All images taken with my tripod mounted Leica R 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt lens and my A7r and processed in LR5.6

Rich

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.310 #18 · p.310 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3914/15281954361_87d8408c35_c.jpg
Low Water by [email protected], on Flickr

Didn't quite nail focus, but that doesn't show at web resolutions. :-) This is also the first image of mine where I've seen dramatic differences between how different programs downsize the image. Makes me want to learn more about output sharpening and such.

Elmarit-R 35, Speed Booster, NEX-7. Probably about f/4.8.

Cheers,
Jon

very nice, is this taken from oaks bottom?

Sep 19, 2014 at 04:02 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.310 #19 · p.310 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

sebboh wrote:
very nice, is this taken from oaks bottom?

Thank you, and yes it was.

One nice thing about Oregon is that the waterways and beaches are all public, so when the water gets as low as this you can walk as far as you want along the river. I might have to put on my sturdy boots and go for a hike this weekend, maybe even when the sun is up. :-)

Cheers,
Jon

Sep 19, 2014 at 04:43 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.310 #20 · p.310 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

aFrIcanSH wrote:
Alpha/Adam would it be possibly to bring your gear to work? Could get interesting shots too

London has been very kind of late with nice light. Won't last much longer though
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2941/15100013900_eec807b11b_b.jpglovely london light by aFrIcanSH

I'd love to take my camera and cron to work! But such devices aren't allowed. I'd probably get in "trouble" with the feds. Lots of great portrait opportunities though.

Did you capture that shot on your way to work? I wish I could walk to work. Would be nice to have photo ops to and from work.

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:56 AM
1       2       3              309      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              309      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password