Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              306      
       308              318       319       end

Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.307 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

freaklikeme wrote:
I love those gentle focus transitions.

I agree both of you. The lens are very suitable for manual focus and Video capture. This is pretty much what I did with my R lens. (the way capture is like video capture, keep the frame first and focus continuously and capture)

With more and more frames took, I confirm they (along with D700) are forgiving with focus error. The lens rendering is very different compare modern glass, even though there aren't significant SA or CA exist.

With MF, I have hard time to nail focus at longer distance with stop down aperture or even WO, especially at not great light. But with good light, and closer focus range. I can nail focus as long as subject is not moving fast, like the above first swing pic.(though I doubt AF can do better with focus and frame in this case.)

More 50lux R WO
Toothless Maggie

Window portrait

Apr 28, 2014 at 04:51 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • • •
p.307 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Great set Michael

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:36 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.307 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

One last photo from the 50 Cron (3 cam).

Spring Roses by Alpha Geist, on Flickr

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:53 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.307 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Keeping up the Bluebell theme but smaller scale.

Red mason bee coming in for a slurp.

280/4 APO w tube f8ish

Phil

Edited on Jul 04, 2014 at 12:58 PM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.307 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Had good luck today: noticed Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 and shop claimed "latest ROM version" in web pages. First I was slightly suspicious as this shop is known to be really expensive, it could have been v1 with normal 50% they add to market value... Anyways went and checked and they didn't know difference between v1 and v2. Gave the money and ran out of the shop. All v2 what I have seen in eBay have been at least 2x price, and this one is from 1995 production run (S/N 370....) and in absolute flawless, not even any wear on lens barrel.

First 3 photos in ultracrappy light: Leica Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 v2 @ f/2.8, 1/60s, Sony A7r @ auto-ISO (400, 200 and 320)

Hopefully will be able to shoot this one in good light at weekend.

Samuli

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Kokusai
• •
p.307 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^^ Awesome detail ^^^^. Congrats Samuli. Amazing find!

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:51 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.307 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Congrats you lucky devil Samuli!

Apr 30, 2014 at 03:45 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.307 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Congrats. The 2nd shot looks quite 3D on my crappy office monitor!

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:27 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.307 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

DMR processed in C1, Lux35

I never seen such pixel sharpness from DMR, a colour a bit strange but nice overall (uploaded original resolution)

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:46 PM
zygibajt

p.307 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

>Worldinlens

Thanks for sharing, I would love to see more pictures from DMR. How do you like it. Are you using it with R8 or R9?
The DMR is one of the very few of my favourite DSLR's. can't afford it it now though.

I start to hate todays newest bodies as they tend to give the picture more like todays LCD TV screens - fake plastic picture. Beautiful, sharp, colorfull but just fake and plastic. Everything's fine but the end result from today's bodies is far from what I have seen with my own eyes when taking this picture. Maybe some like it this way, I do not. The last 50-100 pages of this thread is a great example of it. The first 100 pages of this thread got much better pictures in my opinion not becouse of skill but the earlier bodies used. DMR is one of few that just gives natural picture. Early Canon bodies did this also. 1Ds MKI or even old D60 and 10D. Te picture just looks natural, when I see them I feel like the day when taking the picture. Just my few cents sorry for interrupting.

The A7R is quite nice though, the colour is fine but still it posses some of the "plastic" and "flatness" (just my opinion) of today's mega pixels and low noise at high iso cameras.

May 01, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zygibajt

p.307 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
DMR processed in C1, Lux35

I never seen such pixel sharpness from DMR, a colour a bit strange but nice overall (uploaded original resolution)

The colour is great in my opinion actually. I belive the green of grass actually looked like this or very close to it when you were taking the picture. Unlike the oversaturated green of grass additionally boosted from most of today's DSLR's. I also like the colors of the peaople's clothing and the track. Very nice.

May 01, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Picture This!
• • •
p.307 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Summer is here.
Leica 100 APO macro

May 01, 2014 at 01:17 AM
JonPB
• •
p.307 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Went to Eugene for a one-day gig that turned into four days of trying to get all the people in the same place. Not very productive but good times were had. Here are some playful shots.

All Vario-Elmar 21-35, Speed Booster, NEX-7, Lightroom. I darkened the sky mostly by adjusting white balance to extremes. This was my first attempt at what might be a new project of "tree portraits." C&C welcome.

Small posts here because there are 7 of them; full pixel ugliness & glory available on Flickr.

Cheers,
Jon

Portraits of Trees - Eugene - 1 by jpb@pdx, on Flickr

Portraits of Trees - Eugene - 2 by jpb@pdx, on Flickr

Portraits of Trees - Eugene - 3 by jpb@pdx, on Flickr

Portraits of Trees - Eugene - 4 by jpb@pdx, on Flickr

Portraits of Trees - Eugene - 5 by jpb@pdx, on Flickr

Portraits of Trees - Eugene - 6 by jpb@pdx, on Flickr

Portraits of Trees - Eugene - 7 by jpb@pdx, on Flickr

May 01, 2014 at 05:19 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.307 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

zygibajt wrote:
>Worldinlens

Thanks for sharing, I would love to see more pictures from DMR. How do you like it. Are you using it with R8 or R9?
The DMR is one of the very few of my favourite DSLR's. can't afford it it now though.

I start to hate todays newest bodies as they tend to give the picture more like todays LCD TV screens - fake plastic picture. Beautiful, sharp, colorfull but just fake and plastic. Everything's fine but the end result from today's bodies is far from what I have seen with my own eyes when taking this picture. Maybe some
...Show more

) we have similar throughs about moderm cameras ) I use with R9, but the only differents R9 from R8 it's a lighter weight. Very userful system, a fast enought if we compare with the cameras from similar production era.

The colours really looks fine, but the green and part of red are shifted by the HUE. BTW, i founded the few profiles in C1 from Olympus and they delivering very very natural colours if this is need. I guess maybe need to do additional the custom colour profile and after that the DMR will be like a color bomb because the sensor already have a greatest colour resolution and very "fat" CFA filters. Also a positive moment for colours it's that fact that the sensor does not include the AA filter but the moire almost non-visible in fact with using good demosaicing algorithms. Also the reason of this "moire invisibility" it's just a small actual size of pixels I think.

But propably ill be sell this bundle because i have a sickness now regarding medium format and old kodak pro back db. ) My budget is not a huge...

Greetings from St.Petersburg

May 01, 2014 at 09:19 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.307 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Had good luck today: noticed Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 and shop claimed "latest ROM version" in web pages. First I was slightly suspicious as this shop is known to be really expensive, it could have been v1 with normal 50% they add to market value... Anyways went and checked and they didn't know difference between v1 and v2. Gave the money and ran out of the shop. All v2 what I have seen in eBay have been at least 2x price, and this one is from 1995 production run (S/N 370....) and in absolute flawless, not even any wear on
...Show more

Nice the last photo and double-nice store Maybe they have R90/2 E60 by the E55 price?

May 01, 2014 at 05:45 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.307 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Had good luck today: noticed Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 and shop claimed "latest ROM version" in web pages. First I was slightly suspicious as this shop is known to be really expensive, it could have been v1 with normal 50% they add to market value... Anyways went and checked and they didn't know difference between v1 and v2. Gave the money and ran out of the shop. All v2 what I have seen in eBay have been at least 2x price, and this one is from 1995 production run (S/N 370....) and in absolute flawless, not even any wear on
...Show more

Samuli,

Congrats on the lens for such a good price. Too bad the seller did not know the difference. I hope that you enjoy it and it performs for you. It is a great performer. I am really enjoying mine.

Rich

May 01, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.307 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
Samuli,

Congrats on the lens for such a good price. Too bad the seller did not know the difference. I hope that you enjoy it and it performs for you. It is a great performer. I am really enjoying mine.

Thanks! I was able to shoot properly today (tripod and randomly had some light as well). I concentrated to most critical usage of mine; mid distance boke shots. And Elmarit-R 28mm v2 performs really well; subject stands out clearly separated from background, boke is smooth (of course it's possible to lure out some bad boke as well) and everything in focus plane seem to be drawn really well already at f/2.8. Only bad thing seems that A7r (I have masked the adapter, but even that didn't help) was very picky light sources just outside the frame, and needed to shade the lens with hat/hand/whatever even sun would not even shine directly to lens.

Usually I'm more after lenses with interesting character, but this lens makes me want to shoot with it just because it's performance. I have been trying to figure out which 28mm to shoot this shooting season, and I'm pretty sure I have solved that question now. Usually I'm shooting with Zeiss and I have both C/Y and ZE Distagons, but I'm not 100% happy to either of them. Seems that I need to mix brands when shooting, hopefully colors are not very different compared to my Zeiss lenses.

Few test shots wiht Leica Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 v2 @ f/2.8 & ISO 100 & B+W Circular Polarizer 55mm

Samuli

May 01, 2014 at 06:59 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.307 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Thanks! I was able to shoot properly today (tripod and randomly had some light as well). I concentrated to most critical usage of mine; mid distance boke shots. And Elmarit-R 28mm v2 performs really well; subject stands out clearly separated from background, boke is smooth (of course it's possible to lure out some bad boke as well) and everything in focus plane seem to be drawn really well already at f/2.8. Only bad thing seems that A7r (I have masked the adapter, but even that didn't help) was very picky light sources just outside the frame, and needed to
...Show more

Samuli,

Very nice. Enjoy the lens. I too am combining lens makers for my kit at this point. The bulk of my system is certainly Leica R lenses. But to this I have added the Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2.0 M-Rokkor lens (which of course has its heritage from the Leica C 40mm f2 Summicron lens and the lens I go to first and leave mounted on the A7r) and the Contax (C/Y) 21mm f2.8 Zeiss Distagon lens). I try my best to process the images for color to be close in LR5.4. Any images to ultimately be printed will be done and adjusted for color by my printer Bill Nordstrom (who will have been my printer of 20 years in December).

Rich

May 01, 2014 at 07:59 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.307 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Some images made on a couple of evening trips to view the spring colour in the local woods.

Bluebells - 100 apo

Beech woodland - 35-70/4

Scowles woodland - 35-70/4

Small leaved lime coppice stool and Wild garlic, Upper Wye Gorge - 21-35

Small leaved Lime coppice stool, Upper Wye Gorge - 21-35

May 01, 2014 at 09:40 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.307 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

180/3.4 R Apo telyt

May 02, 2014 at 09:36 AM