FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              304      
       306              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.305 #1 · p.305 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Those Kodak things paired with Leica lens are just ridiculously good. Most of these pics you almost think you can reach into the picture..

(those dust spots would drive me mad tho )

Shame nobody makes sensors and CFA's like Kodak used to.

That super4/3 format you have is what I always wanted Olympus or Panasonic to make. Tho Pentax 645D has 44x33mm, so it probably has same ratio (but its not Kodak).

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.305 #2 · p.305 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba wrote:
Those Kodak things paired with Leica lens are just ridiculously good. Most of these pics you almost think you can reach into the picture..

I agree. Some of these shots have an incredible "you are there" quality

Edited on Jul 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM

p.305 #3 · p.305 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba wrote:

(those dust spots would drive me mad tho )

Shame nobody makes sensors and CFA's like Kodak used to.

That super4/3 format you have is what I always wanted Olympus or Panasonic to make. Tho Pentax 645D has 44x33mm, so it probably has same ratio (but its not Kodak).

Thank you! In the world was only two serious film developers as well as they first digital technologies: Kodak & Fuji. And they both was a guru in truly colour phography. I'm happy that now I can shot with R lenses on both unique cameras, Fuji s5 Pro and Kodak ProBack. Both have a unique film-like colours immediately from the camera or from native converters. Both only need the presets "Daylight" and all And I love them as is. Nothing need from my side for colours, engineers over the years brought to perfection color perception

Yes, 4:3 corresponding here ~ 36x27 sensor area.

P.S. Pentax 645D have a Kodak sensor (maybe latest Kodak sensor as well as Leica M9) but not only the sensor need for amazing colour pictures without outstanding efforts from our PP side

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.305 #4 · p.305 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

I remembered that with certain delay, but like S2, its just sensor, not CFA. Both Leica and Pentax used own CFAs. As you pointed out, its not only sensor.

I think DMR and M8/M8.2 sensors were also Kodak. Yea and there is forgotten Olympus E-1, E-300 and E-500 which all have CCDs from Kodak (and I know that E-300 and E-500 produce pretty Kodak-like pics.. unfortunately pretty noisy).

Jul 26, 2014 at 05:00 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.305 #5 · p.305 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba wrote:
I remembered that with certain delay, but like S2, its just sensor, not CFA. Both Leica and Pentax used own CFAs. As you pointed out, its not only sensor.

I think DMR and M8/M8.2 sensors were also Kodak. Yea and there is forgotten Olympus E-1, E-300 and E-500 which all have CCDs from Kodak (and I know that E-300 and E-500 produce pretty Kodak-like pics.. unfortunately pretty noisy).

While Olympus E-1 is a such old camera, it (with Kodak CCD sensor) still produces beautiful colors. I just happened to take the E-1 with the Leica Vario-Elmarit 14-50/2,8-3.5 lens for a morning walk today. Sorry about that these images were not from 'true' Leica R lens.

© ocean2059 2014

© ocean2059 2014

© ocean2059 2014

Jul 26, 2014 at 06:30 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.305 #6 · p.305 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Its old camera, but its rather decent 5 Mpix. Pretty much like other two mentioned are ok-ish 8 mpix.

That lens you have is actually very good. Im not sure if it really is Leica original design, but from what I saw it has very good image quality. They also made excellent Leica branded 14-150mm zoom, which is one of few truly usable super-zoom lens. Both lens are rather expensive even today (and for good reason ).

Jul 26, 2014 at 09:52 PM
Almass
• • •
p.305 #7 · p.305 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Tri Tran wrote:
A7 w/ Summicron R 35mm
Ferrari Lusso
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3836/14719028355_681b4a1653_b.jpg1964 Ferrari Lusso -20 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5567/14716180385_0b4fc28a07_b.jpg1964 Ferrari Lusso -9 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Welcome back to your own thread

Jul 27, 2014 at 04:59 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.305 #8 · p.305 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Guys, advice please. I have now a triplet of R lenses: 28 Elmarit, 60 Makro Elmarit, 80 'Lux. I ma looking for a 50, as an all-purpose lens (do-anything, take-anywhere). I have tried a 'Cron, and like it. Any sense in going for a 'Lux? I don't shoot wide open that much at all, neither do I do portraits.
So, what will it be?

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:06 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.305 #9 · p.305 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

philber wrote:
Guys, advice please. I have now a triplet of R lenses: 28 Elmarit, 60 Makro Elmarit, 80 'Lux. I ma looking for a 50, as an all-purpose lens (do-anything, take-anywhere). I have tried a 'Cron, and like it. Any sense in going for a 'Lux? I don't shoot wide open that much at all, neither do I do portraits.
So, what will it be?

Is this for shooting on a Sony A7/A7r?

If so, and this may be heresy, my walk around lens on my A7r and the lens that I go to first and most often is my Minolta CLE MC 40mm M-Rokkor. The Leica C 40mm f2 Summicon (M-mount) and the Minolta CL 40mm M-Rokkor, and the latest version of this lens the Minolta CLE MC 40mm M-Rokkor lenses are tiny and light, sharp and a really nice lens. They have some field curvature and are not as sharp at f2, but have a "glow" at f2. They sharpen up at f2.8 or f4. They form 10 pointed stars (at least the Minolta CLE). They may not quite reach critical sharpness at the extreme corners but they are pretty darn good for most applications. The Minolta CLE version has the latest coatings (multicoated) and probably will be more flare resistant than the 2 older versions, but these can flare and you will see it in the viewfinder or on the screen.

Rich

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:17 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.305 #10 · p.305 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

philber wrote:
So, what will it be?

I also have the 50 'Cron-R and like it very much. But after seeing images posted by Gregg here, I ofter wonder if I should look into the 50 'Lux-R. I hope Gregg will comment on the 'Lux. As regard to the 40 'Cron-M, the color and contrast are lacking behind the 50 'Cron-R. But the 40 'Cron is very compact size for the Sony A7/r.

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philber
• • • • • •
p.305 #11 · p.305 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Rich, no doubt the 40 'Cron is a fine lens, and I considered it. But, at one point, I had lenses with 6 different mounts for my A7R. 6! (Leica R, Leica M, Olympus, Contax G, Contax C/Y, FE). I decided that was crazy, and that i would be going down to 2: FE for light, AF, for everiday and another for more dedicated shooting. I narrowed it down to Rokkor, Olympus, and Leica R, before deciding Leica R was my preference. So, much as I may be sorry to have sold my M 'Cron 75 AA, or to stay away from the 40 'Cron, that is how it is. I am getting a R 50, either 'Cron or Lux. No other way. At least until I go crazy again, but that is not on the radar screen.

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:53 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.305 #12 · p.305 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

philber wrote:
So, what will it be?

Unless you are a fan of bubble boke (in which case the 50 Lux E55), I think to get a better 50 than the Cron, you need to go to the 50 Lux E60, which is very expensive, and highly corrected, nearly the equal of the 50 Lux-M ASPH, but stopped down a bit I doubt you gain the benefit of the extra size and price (although the Lux should be sharper than the Cron even stopped down to f/4 or so), so ultimately I would go for the 50 Cron or 60 Macro-Elmarit in your case. The latter is probably somewhat smoother and more flexible, at the cost of being larger and slower.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:09 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.305 #13 · p.305 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks, Carsten. I already own the Elmarit 60, but AFAIAC, there is definitely room for something alongside it, that is shorter, smaller, and faster. So the 'Cron it will be I guess.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.305 #14 · p.305 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

philber wrote:
Rich, no doubt the 40 'Cron is a fine lens, and I considered it. But, at one point, I had lenses with 6 different mounts for my A7R. 6! (Leica R, Leica M, Olympus, Contax G, Contax C/Y, FE). I decided that was crazy, and that i would be going down to 2: FE for light, AF, for everiday and another for more dedicated shooting. I narrowed it down to Rokkor, Olympus, and Leica R, before deciding Leica R was my preference. So, much as I may be sorry to have sold my M 'Cron 75 AA, or to stay
...Show more

I too have the R 50 Cron which I like very much on the A7r. It may be even better than the 40C/Minolta 40mm f2 M-Rokkor lenses. It performs extremely well on the camera and I am pleased with it. It is just bigger and heavier than the Minolta CLE and the adapter, so I normally carry the Minolta.

At this point, I am carrying 3 lens maker/mounts for my A7r. Most are Leica R, the M mount and the Contax mount. My 4 main lenses that I carry with the A7r are my Contax (C/Y) 21mm f2.8 Zeiss Distagon (with the Novoflex adapter and Novoflex rotating collar which I move to the Leica Novoflex adapter for larger non collared lenses), Leica R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2 (with Novoflex adapter), Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2 M-Rokkor lens with Phigment adapter, and my Leica R 100mm f2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit lens. If I use any other R lenses on the camera I remove the adapter from the R 28mm f2.8 V2. My next lens of choice in my R system is my 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lens followed by many other R lenses.

Rich

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.305 #15 · p.305 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

philber wrote:
So, what will it be?

If not for portrait, I see no reason to choose 50lux over 50cron. especially for more $$ more weight and poorer stop down performance.
On the other hand, I feel Leica M to NEX adapter is small enough that can be always leave in bag, lens is also smaller, why get ride of it?

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.305 #16 · p.305 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Carsten..."bubble bokeh"...what is that?? My E55 Lux is very sharp wide open, and stopped down is really incredible. It's very close to the FE 55 1.8( well maybe not the corners!)...the bokeh can be a touch harsh at times, but with only 6 blades, I think it does a fantastic job! At f2 it has superb 3D and is, IMO, sharper than the Cron. I have no experience with M versions, but I do have a newer R Cron coming this week, and I can compare. Picked up the Cron on a whim, thinking to step down, but we'll see. My E55 is from '86, and I consider it my fav 50 lens of all time. I have made so many great shots with it, I couldn't imagine ever selling it!
My CV 50 ASPH might be a tad sharper in the center, and the bokeh is def smoother, but stopped down, the Lux is sharper. It could be used as a landscape lens, but the Cron might be better for that particular application.
Gregg

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.305 #17 · p.305 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Yes, M adapter is small, and yes, Olympus lenses are small, and yes Contax G.... and no, I don't want to have more than 2 mounts. Like a barrier to my own gear lust. I now have 2 standard kits, rather than more than 50% of my lenses at home at any time.

Edited on Jul 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.305 #18 · p.305 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
Unless you are a fan of bubble boke (in which case the 50 Lux E55), I think to get a better 50 than the Cron, you need to go to the 50 Lux E60, which is very expensive, and highly corrected, nearly the equal of the 50 Lux-M ASPH, but stopped down a bit I doubt you gain the benefit of the extra size and price (although the Lux should be sharper than the Cron even stopped down to f/4 or so), so ultimately I would go for the 50 Cron or 60 Macro-Elmarit in your case. The latter is
...Show more

the other advantage of the lux e60 is that it has 8 aperture blades instead of the 6 blades on the cron and e55 lux. i don't know about the rest of you, but hexagons really bug me. not sure that makes it worth an extra $2k though...

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:33 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.305 #19 · p.305 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Bought back my former Leica R28/E55 for $500 today and was going to air it out a little but then the record heat streak ended abruptly:

Regndroppar by koruNZ, on Flickr

Flimsy adaper on A7, wide open, slight crop.

The R28 works just fine on the A7, as expected. Leitax R to FE mount on order for this lens and one for the R 80-200/4 lens.

Bokeh of the R28 wide open:
R28 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.305 #20 · p.305 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
Carsten..."bubble bokeh"...what is that??
Gregg

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/789565/0&year=2009#8544433

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/895186/243#11908262

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.