Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              298      
       300              320       321       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Jon Tainton
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.299 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Jon, you have some very impress sunset/landscape images posted. Just beautiful. And thank you for share your very objective impression about this legendary lens. It sell like $6000+ now, a dream lens for many M240 people.

Thank you too, Michael. Ah, I can see why many M240 owners might want this lens (c/w lens profile corrections), happily I only paid about $3.2K.

Worldinlens wrote:
Fuji s5, R50E60

Alex, I'm not certain I've said this before, but I prefer the colour of the Fuji s5 over the Leica DMR images.

jhinkey wrote:
A couple quick ones just before dinner tonight - a rare clear-ish evening here in the Pacific North West, so I had to throw in the 180/3.4 APO Telyt onto the Pany GX7. Light and color were changing fast!

Wonderful atmospheric images of Mt. Rainier

JaKo wrote:
Jon: sunny UK?!

Oh yes, so far 7 consecutive days of no rain and even some sunshine, which is better than most summers

Milkman wrote:
Jon I would love to see that comparison of 28s

I managed to spend an hour field testing the three R 28mm options, in a quarry setting, I couldn't get a near far composition on the level, but I did manage a composition which does show some aspects of the respective lenses character. I can flood the R lens thread with posts (afaik I can only upload five images in any post) or post crops of interesting detail?

Edits - finally uploaded a 100% corner crop instead of 100%+ corner crop, sigh

Field test scene - 28mm/2.8 E55 @2.8 and infinity, no in camera or PP sharpening

28/2.8 E55 @2.8 and infinity, 100% crop, no in camera or PP sharpening

Edited on Mar 15, 2014 at 07:52 PM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2014 at 07:01 PM
robin bush

Upload & Sell: Off
p.299 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Hi John,
Have you tried to shim between lens and adapter. Almost all of my alternative lenses have been shimmed to some degree to get the best out of them.

Best regards

Robin

Mar 15, 2014 at 07:14 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.299 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

robin bush wrote:
Hi John,
Have you tried to shim between lens and adapter. Almost all of my alternative lenses have been shimmed to some degree to get the best out of them.

Best regards

Robin

Hi Robin,

For reference the tree is approx 80m+ and the trees in the background 250m+, I honestly thought the image reflected the MTF curves for this part of the image in the corner, OTOH perhaps my expectations are low. I'll confess to not shimming this or any lens, as I normally shoot well stopped down, have you any examples to share of before and after shimming?

Attached MTF's for F2.8 & F8 and a corner crop @F8

Cheers Jon

Leica MTF 28 E55 @ 2.8

28/2.8 E55 @F8 and infinity, 100% crop, no in camera or PP sharpening

Leica MTF 28 E55 @ F8

Mar 15, 2014 at 08:51 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.299 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon, Again thanks for the info. If I am into landscape, 28 will be my choice. but for prime, I need faster lens.

Here are a few family walk during weekend.
all by 35lux WO or f2 with D700

Mar 16, 2014 at 05:59 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.299 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael, that last shot is incredible!!
Gregg

Mar 16, 2014 at 06:14 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.299 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

It really pops at you Michael!

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM
cyra
• • •
p.299 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

some test shots with my new to me Fuji X-E1 and Elmarit Macro 60mm

Mar 16, 2014 at 01:55 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.299 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Very nice, Cyra...That 60 Macro looks awesome!!
Here are a few shots with the A7 and 50 Lux
Gregg

Mar 17, 2014 at 05:14 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.299 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

took a walk today with the 350mm for the first time in a while. all shots taken on nex-5n, the bird shots are pretty high iso...

Mar 17, 2014 at 05:55 AM
cyra
• • •
p.299 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greg, the 60 Macro is a nice lens, and relatively cheap. Nice portraits as always,
Sebboh, like the first bird especially. Is it a warbler? Last must be a nuthatch (don't know american birds...)

Mar 17, 2014 at 05:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.299 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

cyra wrote:
Greg, the 60 Macro is a nice lens, and relatively cheap. Nice portraits as always,
Sebboh, like the first bird especially. Is it a warbler? Last must be a nuthatch (don't know american birds...)

yes, townsend's warbler and nuthatch.

Mar 17, 2014 at 07:54 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.299 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

cyra wrote:
some test shots with my new to me Fuji X-E1 and Elmarit Macro 60mm

http://www.fujifilmimages.com/gallery/3402/U3402I1394838839.SEQ.0.jpg

http://www.fujifilmimages.com/gallery/3402/U3402I1394736959.SEQ.2.jpg

http://www.fujifilmimages.com/gallery/3402/U3402I1394736958.SEQ.1.jpg

Very nice Cyra!

I was toying about the idea of a m43 camera and some of the R glass. The Fuji is a m43 camera, correct(?), despite having a different (proprietary x-mount) mount than say, an Olympus m43 mount?

Also, what is the apparent focal length of your 60mm macro elmarit on the fuji, 120mm?

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:41 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.299 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
I was toying about the idea of a m43 camera and some of the R glass. The Fuji is a m43 camera, correct(?), despite having a different (proprietary x-mount) mount than say, an Olympus m43 mount?

Also, what is the apparent focal length of your 60mm macro elmarit on the fuji, 120mm?

The Fuji X-trans is an APS-C sensor. It's a 1.5x crop factor, so a 60 provides a FF-equivalent of a 90mm FOV on this camera, unless a Metabones Speed Boost adapter is used, in which case it's 64mm but one stop faster (/2 in the case of the Leica 60 R Makro Elmarit). The MTF is likewise improved.

For the 4/3 mount and Leica R glass, straight mount is almost pointless unless you're looking for the long reach. You're better off acquiring a Metabones R >> 4/3 Speed boost. The adapter, just like the APS-C version, contains a highly-corrected element with a magnification factor of 0.71. Afterwards, there's the sensor crop factor; so a 50 becomes a 35.5mm and the the 2x crop brings to to 71mm effective focal length. The lens also gathers in more light too, so an /2 becomes effectively an /1.4.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.299 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

j.liam wrote:
The Fuji X-trans is an APS-C sensor. It's a 1.5x crop factor, so a 60 provides a FF-equivalent of a 90mm FOV on this camera, unless a Metabones Speed Boost adapter is used, in which case it's 64mm but one stop faster (/2 in the case of the Leica 60 R Makro Elmarit). The MTF is likewise improved.

For the 4/3 mount and Leica R glass, straight mount is almost pointless unless you're looking for the long reach. You're better off acquiring a Metabones R >> 4/3 Speed boost. The adapter, just like the APS-C version, contains a highly-corrected element with
...Show more

Ah! Thank you for the clarity of the mounts and their differences. As for the micro 4/3 speed boosted metabones mount, will the DoF for and f/2 remain the same after boosted to f/1.4? I'm assuming that the boost only affects the amount of light gathered and not the DoF as well?

Mar 18, 2014 at 01:38 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.299 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Ah! Thank you for the clarity of the mounts and their differences. As for the micro 4/3 speed boosted metabones mount, will the DoF for and f/2 remain the same after boosted to f/1.4? I'm assuming that the boost only affects the amount of light gathered and not the DoF as well?

Scroll down to the FAQ on depth of field at the
Metabones website. The short answer is that it provides about the same DOF as if it were used on a FF sensor. The site goes into more detail as to why,

Mar 18, 2014 at 02:16 PM
JonPB
• •
p.299 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:

A Speed Booster (or other .7x focal converter) actually changes the specifications of the lens. A 50mm f/2 lens on a Speed Booster is a 35mm f/1.4 lens--not equivalent to it, but actually is it. This works as the magnification of the lens system is reduced (shortening the focal length) without affecting the size of the entrance pupil, so the relative aperture (f number = focal length / entrance pupil diameter) changes as well.

So a Speed Boosted Summicron-R 35 becomes a 25mm f/1.4 lens that has the same brightness and depth of field characteristics of any other 25mm f/1.4 lens, such as the Panasonic/Leica offering on m4/3. So, using Leica R lenses on m4/3 will generally work for normal and longer lenses, but won't provide any wide angles.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Mar 18, 2014 at 03:51 PM
cyra
• • •
p.299 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha Geist, for the 60 Macro the 1.5 crop factor on the Fuji is rather welcome, making it a 90mm equivalent. I am also thinking about a metabones speed booster for my Zeiss lenses on the X-E1, but appart from the price tag, they seem not to be easy to find over here.

more Fuji X-E1 with Elamrit 60mm Macro:

Mar 18, 2014 at 07:51 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.299 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
A Speed Booster (or other .7x focal converter) actually changes the specifications of the lens. A 50mm f/2 lens on a Speed Booster is a 35mm f/1.4 lens--not equivalent to it, but actually is it. This works as the magnification of the lens system is reduced (shortening the focal length) without affecting the size of the entrance pupil, so the relative aperture (f number = focal length / entrance pupil diameter) changes as well.

So a Speed Boosted Summicron-R 35 becomes a 25mm f/1.4 lens that has the same brightness and depth of field characteristics of any other 25mm f/1.4 lens,
...Show more

Thank you Jon & J.Liam!

I did a little reading up on their site, the Speedbooster only changes (physically) the focal length, which then affects the f/no. in turn.

Per your example, on a m4/3 system, a 35 Cron-R boosted will turn the 35mm equivalent focal length to 24.85mm (35mm x .71), but the 2x crop from the sensor will ultimately change the equivalent focal length to 49.7mm (24.85mm x 2).

So no wide angles like you mentioned, however, how much will the m4/3 affect the f/no. in addition to the Speedboster (if the 35mm Cron-R f/2 is boosted to a f/1.4)? Will the f/no. of the Speedboosted 35mm Cron-R still remain f/1.4 or slightly smaller, ie. ~1.8, 2 , 2.2, etc.

Maybe I should be looking at the Fuji APS-C (1.5x) crop sensor instead...

My rational is this: The Leica APO Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm is very $$$ at the moment. The 60mm Macro Elmarit-R is going anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the 100mm's price (depending on condition). If the 60mm Macro Elmarit-R is adapted to a APS-C crop body (with EVF!!!), then I could gain little more working distance from my subject. Close to the 100mm focal length. Factoring whether or a Speedbooster is necessary...I'd have to think that over.

Mar 18, 2014 at 08:25 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.299 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

cyra wrote:
Alpha Geist, for the 60 Macro the 1.5 crop factor on the Fuji is rather welcome, making it a 90mm equivalent. I am also thinking about a metabones speed booster for my Zeiss lenses on the X-E1, but appart from the price tag, they seem not to be easy to find over here.

more Fuji X-E1 with Elamrit 60mm Macro:

http://www.ag2si.com/gallery/2687/U2687I1394735047.SEQ.4.jpg

http://www.ag2si.com/gallery/2687/U2687I1394734933.SEQ.4.jpg

http://www.ag2si.com/gallery/2687/U2687I1394734932.SEQ.3.jpg

Cyra! It's because of your posts that the little Macro seed has been planted in my brain. :P

I've never had any experiences with m4/3, but have played with some (canikon) APS-C cameras in my past. I need to look into the Fuji system as a compliment to my A7. Hmmm, now where did my wallet go.

Mar 18, 2014 at 08:29 PM
cyra
• • •
p.299 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

so sorry, Alpha Geist
The Fuji X-E1 is incredibly cheap new and used. A lot of bang for the buck. Metabones speed booster will cost you more. I have just bought a very cheap used X-E1 for my Leica R Lenses, and these are litterally my first images. So I can't say much yet, except that it is very pleasant to work with the combo.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password