1       2       3              296      
       298              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

robin bush
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.297 #1 · p.297 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Canon 1ds3 Leica r 28mm v2 F11

Regarding my experience of Leica r lenses. I have owned 19mm v2 , 28-90mm asph , 35 F2 cron last version.
Leica 28mm is the only one I continue with.
Leica 19mm is a wonderful lens but slightly soft in extreme corners.
35 cron wonderful colour but not for my landscapes, didn't have great corners.
Leica r 28-90 asph proved a disappointment for me, 28-40 range produced colour fringing.

Takapuna first Sun

May 09, 2014 at 06:06 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.297 #2 · p.297 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Get v2, v1 has annoying "broken ninjastar boke" @ f/4 = why I shoot either wide open or f/8.

Samuli

Thanks for the heads up Samuli!

May 09, 2014 at 06:36 PM

p.297 #3 · p.297 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

rirakuma wrote:
I just want to thank Aleksandr (worldinlens) for getting me into Leica lenses. He was my earliest inspiration to get in touch with colour photography. Its been years since we have spoken but I am very grateful for his help during my start in photography.

90 cron R

Thanks a lot, for me pleasure to help anytime But without doubt im still leaning myself with Colour photography

May 09, 2014 at 07:01 PM
golfkidds

p.297 #4 · p.297 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

/Users/matsumotoatsushi/Desktop/L1003125.jpg

May 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM
JaKo
• • • •
p.297 #5 · p.297 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote: I think Leica R lens can be divided to two group quality, Bench quality and real world quality.

How true Michael, how true!
Not only Leica R lenses fall into this category, not only Leica, but many lenses from serious optical makers also. And many of us fall for it too!
Everyone wants perfectly performing glass; sharp corners at max aperture, no colours distortions, smoothest Bokeh, perfect geometry, etc, etc. The search for the perfect lens only leads to ‘Photophilia Nervosa’

Reading forums can only make matter worse. There are too many choices and too many new products introduced over last few decades. Again: ‘Photophilia Nervosa’

In a way it’s almost good that Leica discontinued its R series. If you think about it, R series reached its top plateau before going to next generation of ‘improved, re-invented, modernized, ASPH this, re-engineered that and done better than Mandler’ Ultimately R died at its full glory just like other technologies of 60-80s (the best of vacuum valves replaced by 0.000001 THD of transistors era or century of analogue recording and vinyl production replaced by ‘Perfect Sound Forever’ digital media, just to bring few that depend on perception rather than measurements)

Anyhow, shooting film, even briefly, few rolls, can bring anyone reaching for the technically perfect glass back to reality. Heck, watch, if you haven’t, ‘Finding Vivian Maier’ flick. It should make you purchase two accompany books (actually, skip the first one!) and look differently at your next lens purchase.

For me, despite fighting the urge for techno-evil I just mentioned above, Mandler lenses seem to be the ultimate solution.
[End of rant]

“Bestie Boy’, ‘Goody Girl’ & ‘Behind the [Red] Door’
All wide open…

May 11, 2014 at 01:19 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.297 #6 · p.297 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
Everyone wants perfectly performing glass; sharp corners at max aperture, no colours distortions, smoothest Bokeh, perfect geometry, etc, etc. The search for the perfect lens only leads to ‘Photophilia Nervosa’

If I've understood it correctly, the Laws of Physics dictates there can be no perfect lens, so, it's down to the lens designer to maximise/minimise the aberrations to 'taste' and latterly factor in the lift from software correction.

JaKo wrote:
Reading forums can only make matter worse.

+1. Too many forums are 'weather vanes' rather than 'signposts'. Happily though, with enough real world use a general consensus is reached on a lens performance.

Edit - punctuation, sigh ...

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2014 at 03:21 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.297 #7 · p.297 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

I think that most of us, along our photographic journeys, have developed quirky standards to help us determine what kit works best. Some people want high resolution in the corners, and they'll forego wide angle perspectives to get there. Some people want to be in control of their mistakes, so they forego autofocus and autoexposure. Some people want the smallest kit that'll make given quality prints at a given size; some people want the most pixels they can get and enjoy zooming in and out of their photos.

Personally, I treat digital cameras as being disposable and buy lenses for their forward compatibility. This rules out most electronics, so I'm left with mechanical lenses: pre-autofocus era systems, Leica, or Zeiss. (Interestingly, it appears that EF lenses might have forward compatibility due to adapter chips.) Leica and Zeiss are the most recently designed, and were designed for high optical quality. M lenses are prohibitively expensive for my budget. Ultimately, I went with Leica R because the system is larger than Contax/Yashica and generally makes my eyes happier. I'm happy with my choice. I certainly wouldn't suggest to someone else, though, that they should choose to shoot with these lenses just because they work well with my quirks.

Being human, I know that part of the reason I like the faults of my Leicas is rationalization and confirmation bias. People will defend their favorite tools until they're blue in the face. But I also like to think that I like them for what they are: good, not perfect, but enough in every respect that I could, if I so choose, make quality images with them for the rest of my life. That idea is more appealing to me, for the moment, than achieving a different optical aesthetic or higher technical quality.

To each their own.

Cheers,
Jon

May 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM
JaKo
• • • •
p.297 #8 · p.297 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^ Ditto!

I can only add that with today’s high MP, AA-less cameras they can create a perfect balance with older, classic drawing style lenses. Michael’s images above are just prove of that.
If I want to achieve classic look, I get Mandler designed glass. For more modern style Zeiss steps in. As a result I ended up with multiple lenses in some focal lengths.

Again, to each their own.

May 11, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.297 #9 · p.297 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Two great set Michael and Jack

May 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.297 #10 · p.297 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
How true Michael, how true!
Not only Leica R lenses fall into this category, not only Leica, but many lenses from serious optical makers also. And many of us fall for it too!

Reading forums can only make matter worse. There are too many choices and too many new products introduced over last few decades. Again: ‘Photophilia Nervosa’

This is not an accurate characterisation. There are people for whom certain lenses ruin their shots, and the 35 Cron-R falls into that category for Samuli. The lens simply isn't optically good enough for what he wants to do. For you and Michael, soft and smeary corners may not detract, but characterising others as being in some vain and futile pursuit of perfection is unkind. Keep in mind that Samuli happily shoots with the ZF50 Planar, which isn't a perfect lens by any means.

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 03:37 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 01:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JaKo
• • • •
p.297 #11 · p.297 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^ Carsten, Samuli clearly purchased wrong lens for his specific purpose and subjects of his shooting (see his own remarks in previous posts) Purchase of Passion? It happens to many but Buy & Sell provides relieve to it.

Also, Zeiss 50MP is not on his fave lens list (again, see his previous posts on this topic)
Lastly, he is eloquent enough to express his own opinions without side caddie’s repetitive help.

Don't see Cron-R 35 being worthy shooting with? Fine, move on.

May 12, 2014 at 01:57 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.297 #12 · p.297 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Planar, not Makro-Planar. I share his preference for the Planar.

I didn't say that the 35 Cron-R wasn't worth(y) shooting with, I said I didn't like it.

If you want to get into an argument here, you need to brush up on your reading skills.

Side-caddie? JaKo, I used to enjoy your posts but you have really lost the plot here. What happened?

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 03:47 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 02:05 AM
Almass
• • •
p.297 #13 · p.297 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo. side caddie’s repetitive help!!!!

That is unbecoming of you and probably you were having a bad hair day.

Carstenw is a long standing and respected member at FM and whilst you might not agree with his point of views, let us keep the discussion civil here.

Thank you.

Edited on May 12, 2014 at 03:49 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2014 at 03:44 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.297 #14 · p.297 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Hey, I resemble that old remark!

May 12, 2014 at 03:46 AM
Almass
• • •
p.297 #15 · p.297 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

OK. Corrected

May 12, 2014 at 03:49 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.297 #16 · p.297 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

I am a youthful 48!

May 12, 2014 at 04:04 AM
JaKo
• • • •
p.297 #17 · p.297 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
Side-caddie? JaKo, I used to enjoy your posts but you have really lost the plot here. What happened?

Carsten, let’s say this morning I started a fresh, new day...

May 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.297 #18 · p.297 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alright...

May 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.297 #19 · p.297 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

I am neither defending nor criticizing anyone but will say that JaKo was certainly not out of line with any of his posts in this thread. JaKo is an equally valued and respected member (at least to me) as everyone else in this thread. It really is just a matter of differing opinions.... No big deal.

May 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.297 #20 · p.297 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
The search for the perfect lens only leads to ‘Photophilia Nervosa’

I feel this is quite true. I haven't found any lens perfect yet other than perfect suit me for 'some type' of photography.
Samuli's dislike 35cron doesn't surprise me. And I don't think he ever saying anything unproper about that lens..

Nowdays, good lens are everywhere, and keep coming. I feel finding 'perfect' bench(and real world) lenses are getting easier and easier. So, for pure investment point of view or pride of owning finest(use to be) lens in the world only lead to bad return and disappointment. (personal view only, I kick myself bought 50lux M ASPH at retail, and feel lucky I didn't get any more M lens years ago)

New Zeiss, leica M, Sony 55FE, RX1, Panaleica, Olympas 75mm.....and many Fuji prime... There are nothing prevent people getting good pic, we are allowed to make our preference for any reason and enjoy the process. This is more important than anything.

As a leica R lover, I don't feel any lens is absolutely required to create my images, manual focus, maybe. butter smooth Focus throw design, yes. DOF or Bokeh or color, maybe not, they helped, but not must. JonPB's post summarize it right that several good reasons to have Leica R: joy of use, beautiful craftsmanship, fine art of compromise between the look, price, size and optic performance etc..

Carsten, I respect you but I don't see there is conflict between you and Jack in your or his view on lens, why put word so strongly?

Good day for everybody

35lux WO

May 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.