Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              294      
       296              322       323       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.295 #1 · p.295 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Excellent shots gentlemen!

Worldinlens - I really like the selective focus on the table shot with the spoon and the coffee.

JaKo - Where were those photos taken? University? The sharp lines of both exterior and interior are killer! Your photos, to me at least, really set a futuristic atmosphere. I shouldn't be looking at the 28 vII R as I just bought the 35-70 f/4 and the sticker shock hasn't set in yet, but I'm sure tempted by your 28!

Greggf - Thank you for your comment! PS is a beast I'd like to tame one day. For now LR will do, hehe. I haven't put my 90 cron through the ringer yet, but every time I see your shots, I get the goosebumps. Despite the overcast and wet weather here in NorCal, I'm going to try to go out and shoot and not let a little rain keep me from doing so. For SCIENCE!!! Also, I love the pop in your fence and Japanese (?) maple photos!

Jon Tainton - Such great light and colors!

Lieutenant Z - I really like the classic look of your portrait of the older man on his phone. How are people's (the public in general) attitude on the street when you take photos of them? Do go in for the kill like a stealthy special ops or do you usually ask to take their photos? I haven't done any street portrait here, as I have this certain feeling that people here just (generally) don't want to have their picture taken. Especially with privacy being a big topic (again and always will be) in the States right now.

Edited on Feb 28, 2014 at 02:31 AM · View previous versions

Feb 28, 2014 at 01:08 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.295 #2 · p.295 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Sorry, first time I've heard of this, actually I'm not interested in gear....

I think Worldinlens was asking, at least how I interpreted it, that your photo has a sort of soft classic look which is reminiscent of the older generation of Leica glass as inherent from the earlier or first generation/version of 50mm crons.

Feb 28, 2014 at 01:11 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.295 #3 · p.295 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

hansdans wrote:
I am glad to see R series lens to perform superbly on DMR. At the same time I wonder how much difference to the better (?) would happen if one would use the Sony alpha 7r body with a adapter ring? I am not familiar with the Sony camera but assume that the adapter ring does not change the lenses to AF but one is confronted with a similar situation as trying to fit a Leica R lens to Nikon body with a Leitax adaptor? This makes the focusing difficult when trying to adjust the aperture right for the exposure
...Show more

Hi hansdans!

The adapter ring (Metabones, Novoflex, etc.) for the Leica R to E-mount (sony) doesn't change the lenses to AF (as you already know), but doesn't have the potential problem of focus shift as you are describing with the Leica R to Nikon body via Leitax adapter. This is because of the wonderful EVF. What you see in focus in the EVF is what you are going to get (granted that you don't move too much and your subject stays pretty still, etc.) regardless of what aperture you're using. It's all "real time" , which means when you stop down you'll be seeing a darker image in the EVF. It's not like a Canon or Nikon AF lens where the aperture stays at its largest aperture even when you tell the camera you're stopped down. On the DSLR, the aperture only changes when you press the shutter. For the adapted lenses on these Sony and other cameras, you control the aperture and what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG).

If you're having trouble seeing what's in focus because you've stopped the lens down a fair bit, then using a tripod will certainly help (if you can or are allowed to use one at the time). Open your aperture to focus, then close the aperture down to what you want, modify the exposure as you see fit and you'll have perfect focus. That's because of the lack of focus shift. I have such a fun time using my MF lenses on my A7, where I had to rely on custom split screen focusing screens for my DSLRs which didn't always guarantee the DoF you were looking for because focus shift came in and messed up the photo.

Sorry if I'm repeating something you already know.

Feb 28, 2014 at 01:24 AM
clmusic
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.295 #4 · p.295 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Great shots everyone! Glad to see many new posts.

Lux 50 e60 WO

Edited on Feb 28, 2014 at 03:52 AM · View previous versions

Feb 28, 2014 at 03:50 AM
clmusic
• •
p.295 #5 · p.295 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

R80 WO

Feb 28, 2014 at 03:51 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.295 #6 · p.295 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote
JaKo - Where were those photos taken? University? The sharp lines of both exterior and interior are killer! Your photos, to me at least, really set a futuristic atmosphere. I shouldn't be looking at the 28 vII R as I just bought the 35-70 f/4 and the sticker shock hasn't set in yet, but I'm sure tempted by your 28!

Thank you.
Yes, this is a design by Saucier + Perrotte and Hughes Condon Marler Architects Group, something that I came across few days ago while searching for another unique design located in North Vancouver by MGB Architecture.

The building captured below reminds me of few architectural showcases by Saunders Architecture Some of them are located in faaar end of Eastern Canada, Fogo Island:

Unfortunately I cannot talk my wife into such trip but one day I would like go get together with a few brave FM photogs and visit Fogo Island in early autumn.

Feb 28, 2014 at 05:30 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.295 #7 · p.295 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

I see a common theme in the architecture of the two different buildings. The sharp angles and jutting features I'm guessing are a signature? The second floor with the very high ceiling and open-to-all windows, screams the opposite of the claustrophobic design of my office/cubicle.

Feb 28, 2014 at 06:25 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.295 #8 · p.295 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg, I know it's a heresy to recommend this in Leica-R thread, but before I got Elmarit-R 28 I was using Vivitar (Komine) 28/2.8 lens in F mount for infinity shots. This lens is very small and performs well for architectural and *scaping shots. Itís not as good as Elmarit-R 28 (not many are!) but it can be purchased for Ö$100 or less. Make sure itís manufactured by Komine not others. Lastly, itís tiny so it should be a good match for A7/R.
I'm just giving you a hard time, Jack! I do have a CY 28 2.8 that I picked up for a 'can't refuse price' that has been Leitaxed already!! I plan to take it out tomorrow and shoot it on the A7!
Here are a couple from today, with the A7+50 Lux
Thaks for looking,
Gregg

Love the way the 50 Lux renders portraits!!

shot this at F8

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:02 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.295 #9 · p.295 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

And then the 90 Cron...
Gregg

Horrible view from this house! Basically the highest point of my route!

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:05 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.295 #10 · p.295 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thank you everyone for all the likes!
More from that same afternoon with 50 Lux.
Gregg

shot @ f8

Mar 01, 2014 at 06:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JaKo
• • •
p.295 #11 · p.295 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

'Post Processing Freedom of Expression' - with dedication to Michael, and I mean it!

Mar 01, 2014 at 08:33 PM
bruni
• • •
p.295 #12 · p.295 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lieutenant Z wrote:
50 R cron :

lovely capture. The strong light against his head makes it seem as if he's withering in the heat, but that's a winter shot isn't it. fantastic.

ben

Mar 01, 2014 at 08:52 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.295 #13 · p.295 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Finally got to shoot the kids today with the 90 Cron, 50 Lux, and the A7, and they're all in .jpg, too.
Gregg

A toddlers room! 50 Lux

with portrait softener

Mar 02, 2014 at 06:47 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.295 #14 · p.295 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Then a few with the A7 and 90 Cron
Gregg

Mar 02, 2014 at 07:00 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.295 #15 · p.295 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jack, beautiful shot as always.
Greg, incredible BW image from 90cron. very nice rendering.

I brought my D700 with 80 and 50lux again today. The feel indeed great. Especially want to see how 80lux rendering after seeing your so many beautiful 90cron images
I don't get time to upload them and process them yet. But I have to say I really love the feeling of OVF with leica R. I am free again...

Mar 02, 2014 at 08:08 AM
chibosaigon

p.295 #16 · p.295 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Just joined the forum sooner today, first in digital and the second one is with film

Mar 02, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Manoj
• •
p.295 #17 · p.295 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg: awesome shots with the 50lux. the one of the house at f8 is brilliant.
chibosaigon: welcome and nice shots.
Jako: As always, brilliant shots. That is False Creek if I'm not wrong. Was there in 2007, unfortunately only with a D80 and 18-135mm kit lens on it. Stanley Park was my favorite.

Few with the 35 lux from around the house.

_DSC4497__e1-cl by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

_DSC4494__e1-cl by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

_DSC4489__e1-cl by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

Mar 02, 2014 at 03:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.295 #18 · p.295 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^ there is something special about its rendering^^

Here are a few 80lux portraits with D700 from last few days. Hope you like them.

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:07 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.295 #19 · p.295 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael...B.E.U.tiful captures of your son with the 80 Lux...NOW that's what I call bokeh, and I'm jealous!!
Greg, incredible BW image from 90cron. very nice rendering. Thank you Michael!

Especially want to see how 80lux rendering after seeing your so many beautiful 90cron images Thank you again!!

But I have to say I really love the feeling of OVF with leica R....I'm beginning to know how you feel! I really like the A7, and the images it produces, but looking trough the EVF vs an OVF, leaves a little something to be desired!!!

Gregg: awesome shots with the 50lux. the one of the house at f8 is brilliant.
Thank you Manoj! I find the 50 Lux an all-rounder! Beautiful WO, and stopped down is incredible, too. I love your shots above with the 35 Lux...Incredible rendering...
Gregg

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:42 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.295 #20 · p.295 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

More 90 Cron shots from last week...
Gregg

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:41 AM
1       2       3              294      
       296              322       323       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell