293              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.292 #1 · p.292 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
glad to introduce...

...the lens of choice for photojournalists embedded with Imperial Storm Troopers?

It looks nice. It's just that Star Wars has been on my mind since someone asked me whether a light saber would be an effective tool for light painting.

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:36 PM

p.292 #2 · p.292 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Star Wars Edition...? Maybe maybe... )

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:17 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.292 #3 · p.292 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Or Sony edition... they also do white lenses, but only the long ones. You fill in the gap...

Apr 21, 2014 at 03:59 PM
shute

p.292 #4 · p.292 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

that is definitely the last thing I want do when I shoot portrait.
But at huangshan, I pretty much have to rely on it with A7 and 80-200. I hold high regard on this for people’s shooting preference.

But for me, the difference is not even small. I am 90% sure my image will be different with EVF. I need connect with real world instantly to engage myself. I don’t want any delay from shutter, EVF, LCD or anything else…

100% in-focus is given the priority to get the moment ‘right’ for my family shots. Only OVF and D700’s shutter response give
...Show more

I do remember your recommendation to get D700 as body for R lens? Because I do have the same need as yours to get the moment 'right' for my family shots.

Although I do not regret the choice of a7, I have to say I am still not able to get the moment right.

I'm even thinking of getting an autofocus now...

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:46 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.292 #5 · p.292 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

These are cross posted images from the Sony A7/A7r thread and are some images that I took last evening a little before sunset of Muscari "Bluebells" at Lock Ridge Park, Alburtis, PA. Images were taken with my tripod mounted Leica R 100mm f2.8 Macro Apo Elmarit lens and my Sony A7r. Images processed in LR5.4.

Rich

Apr 22, 2014 at 07:45 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.292 #6 · p.292 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

shute wrote:
I do remember your recommendation to get D700 as body for R lens? Because I do have the same need as yours to get the moment 'right' for my family shots.

Although I do not regret the choice of a7, I have to say I am still not able to get the moment right.

I'm even thinking of getting an autofocus now...

seems to me the biggest problem with the a7 in this respect is the shutter. focus is easy and fast, but that mushy shutter makes it impossible to know exactly where in it's throw the shutter will fire. i'm hoping more time will get me used to exactly where it releases...

some shots with the 350mm on the a7:

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.292 #7 · p.292 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

sebboh wrote:
...but that mushy shutter makes it impossible to know exactly where in it's throw the shutter will fire. i'm hoping more time will get me used to exactly where it releases...

Good luck with that, I don't see my guessing, when the shutter will fire, getting any better after almost half a year.

I'm very happy that my subjects don't move much, at most I have to time cloud edge passing between sun and my subject. Also the $1.99 wireless remote control from eBay has much better button than the one in camera...

Leica Elmarit-R 90mm f/2.8 E55 @ f/2.8, 1/20s, Sony A7 @ ISO 100, Leica E55 P-cir 13357

Leica APO-Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8, 1/50, Sony A7 @ ISO, Carl Zeiss T* circular polarizer 67mm

I was quite disappointed to Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2 E55 when compared to 90mm and 180mm Elmarits. Disappointment came from the rough boke the Summicron-R has. Any idea if Elmarit-R 35mm would have smooth boke like 90mm and 180mm Elmarits, while still being sharp where focused? Would like to extend my Leica lens family to 3 usable lens, and as I see 50mm Summicron-R isn't usable in my use due to boke.

(Ideally I would like to have latest Elmarit-R 28mm to combine with my 90 and 180, but it's way to expensive)

Samuli

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.292 #8 · p.292 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

My Elmarit-R 35 has just about perfect bokeh, front and back, with mild longitudinal CA up to f/5.6. ("Mild" is entirely subjective, though.) None of the background bokeh haloing that I see with my Summicron-R 50. The Elmarit is very crisp in the center with a moderate but steady drop-off toward the corners.

From what I've seen, the Macro Elmarit 60mm might be a more desirable normal for you than the 'cron, though I haven't used the macro. The reason I keep the 'cron is the flip-side of its poor background bokeh: the foreground bokeh is pixie dust.

Caveat: I've only used my lenses on APS-C, with and without Speed Booster, and film, so I cannot speak to how they translate on 24x36mm sensors.

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:25 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.292 #9 · p.292 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Good luck with that, I don't see my guessing, when the shutter will fire, getting any better after almost half a year.

I'm very happy that my subjects don't move much, at most I have to time cloud edge passing between sun and my subject. Also the $1.99 wireless remote control from eBay has much better button than the one in camera...

Leica Elmarit-R 90mm f/2.8 E55 @ f/2.8, 1/20s, Sony A7 @ ISO 100, Leica E55 P-cir 13357

http://www.leicaimages.com/gallery/3392/U3392I1396810013.SEQ.1.jpg

Leica APO-Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8, 1/50, Sony A7 @ ISO, Carl Zeiss T* circular polarizer 67mm

http://www.leicaimages.com/gallery/3392/U3392I1397502241.SEQ.2.jpg

I was quite disappointed to Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2 E55 when
...Show more

Samuli,

Sorry the 50mm R Summicron lens Boke doesn't meet your needs. Mine is extremely sharp, but I am using my Minolta CLE MC 40mm f2.Summicron much more often than the Summicron due to its tiny size and light weight (and it is also quite sharp).

I haven't checked the Boke that carefully for my 60mm f2.8 Macro Elmarit lens, but it is also extremely sharp and may provide you with Boke that you might like. Also the lens would double up as a macro lens for you as well (but it is bigger, heavier, and longer than the Summicron). I am not using mine nearly as often as I once did since I have found that the 100mm f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit is an even better performer.

Rich

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:26 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.292 #10 · p.292 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

ddd

Edited on May 01, 2014 at 07:07 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.292 #11 · p.292 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Derek, +1 about shutter. But EVF also is a drag for me. At least doesn't meet my expectation getting from OVF experience.

shute, there is nothing wrong with AF lens, but I don't think AF lens can solve your problem. I believe you just need more practice with DSLR with bright OVF and decent screen. MF has many trick and skill that you will find very rewarding, many case way better than AF. but it need you think more and practice more

Samuli, your 90mm shot looks great, but I am not fan of 180, at least based on this photo. I did a short review about 50cron in this thread. I agree its bokeh can only be only rate as neutral. (typical case, 2~3M subject distance, far away busy background) At f2.8, it improve a lot IMO. background show less jittery, but peaceful shape.

But to me, I feel it is a awesome portrait lens. the DOF transition is special to me. at least I feel that way compare to other lens I used, maybe just because of red dot size is small, stop down is great. (I did a cross comparison in 50mm region. it is better than most 50mm I have. )
Will use it more later.

here are some samples. from 6D or D700, should be all WO

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.292 #12 · p.292 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

redisburning wrote:
60 macro elmarit R is a great lens but it has 6 aperture blades.

samuli's shots have tons of specular highlights. I mean I own one and I really like it, but that will probably be an issue for him. other than that, and being a stop slower, I think it's a considerably better lens than 50 cron R II (which is why I own 60ME instead).

With Leica lenses I'm having slightly different "goal" than my usual stuff. With my usual stuff I shoot with Contax and Carl Zeiss lenses I often prefer a little rougher boke. However with Leica lenses I would prefer smooth boke, and Elmarit-R 90mm E55 has the rendering style I prefer "for Leica"; pretty sharp on focus plane, but smooth on boke and boke highlights don't have ugly bright edges (like E55 Summicron-R).

APO-Elmarit-R 180mm has little too rough boke, and it's photos match well my Contax and Zeiss lenses in overall look. I have actually shoot it a lot with Zeiss ZE-series lenses, and photos need no tweaking to make it's rendering to match "Zeiss style". So I'm looking for more similar rendering style as 90mm has.

Leica APO-Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8, 1/500s, Sony A7 @ ISO 100, Carl Zeiss T* circular polarizer 67mm

Samuli

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:12 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.292 #13 · p.292 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Elmarit-R 35mm (E55) bokeh samples. (From Pentax K-5, processed in Lightroom, WB as shot, no sharpness or other adjustments except for exposure.) No claim to artistry or even accurate focus here. :-)

Full versions available:
http://1drv.ms/1f0GSg9
http://1drv.ms/1lBh5tb

Michael has posted lots of 35 'lux samples, and I believe Jack has posted a few good 35 'cron samples. Basically, the late 1970's and early 1980's lenses with Midland designs fit the description that you've giving: good resolution, though lower than modern lenses, but with gentler transitions. Perhaps a pre-APO 180 would fit the bill?

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:51 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.292 #14 · p.292 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Here are two taken with the A7 and 50 Lux...Still my favorite 50!
Gregg

Cross post from A7 thread

Wide open with ElPro Close up adapter lla

F2.8 with ElPro Close up adapter lla

Apr 23, 2014 at 01:48 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.292 #15 · p.292 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg, you've been on a roll with images that have a distinct punchiness to them, here and in the A7 thread. I'm not sure where it comes from, though I'm thinking it might have something to do with hard side lighting and subjects that represent a wide range of contrast (both broad strokes and fine detail), brought together with moderately shallow depth of field. That's just my working hypothesis. :-) I look forward to seeing more and I hope you don't mind if I try to emulate!

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.292 #16 · p.292 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Haven't shot anything with R glass for a while.
Had an evening walk in the bluebells with my last remaining R lens - 35-70/4
Both around f13

Apr 24, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.292 #17 · p.292 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Beautiful images, John!
Here are a few with the A7 and 50 Lux E55
Thanks for looking...
Gregg

WO

WO

cross posted from A7 thread, WO

WO

Apr 24, 2014 at 07:30 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.292 #18 · p.292 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

350 telyt:

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.292 #19 · p.292 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Bird n' Pint-

Cheers my dears!

Phil

5D3 50 Cron

5D3 35-70/4

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.292 #20 · p.292 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Wet weather and negligible wind, provided an opportunity to photograph a Yew tree that grows on an an outcrop of bedrock in an area of presumed Roman iron ore workings, as nearby there was a major Roman industrial complex, processing Iron ore in the 2nd/3rd centuries AD. The Beech woodland grows on the spoil heaps from the Iron ore workings.

Yew roots & inclined bedrock - 35-70/4

Yew on inclined bedrock - 21-35

Beech woodland - 100 AME

Apr 25, 2014 at 04:35 PM
1       2       3              291      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              291      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.