Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              289      
       291              316       317       end

Leica R Series Lenses

cams884

Upload & Sell: Off
p.290 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

saph wrote:
Mmacro, love the colors and the lines in that abstract!

Cams, what a kit to inherit! And a great start with the cat portrait. I am pretty new to Leica, and don't have any from the R set you have. There should be several posters here who can provide input. I can say that the 50 and 90mm Summicron f2 and the 180 3.4 Apo Telyt are superb lenses. The 180's minimum close focus distance is longer than I would like, that's about the only weakness I have come across, among the three that I have.

Here's another cat portrait, with the
...Show more

Thanks for the thoughts.

lenticular11 wrote:
Congrats Cam on that Leica-R inheritance, and on that really nice cat portrait.

I have the Macro-Elmarit 60/2.8 and 1:1 adapter, using them on a Canon 5D MK III until recently and will now bias their use on a new A7R.

The 60 is IMHO, a fantastic lens and is also useful for gen purpose photography, only inhibited in that regard by the long focus throw due its macro bias. Either with or without the adapter it gives wonderful macro results, with beautiful bokeh, as in fact is nicely seen on the LHS side of your cat pic.

I have a few Macro-El
...Show more

Thanks for the information David. I'll have a look at your flickr album. I did notice the focus throw. However, it seems perfectly normal after using the Alpa/Kern 50/1.8 Macro that I also got from her last year which rotates about 3 times completely. That lens is away being serviced currently so I'm glad to have another great lens to use in the mean time.

It's a shame to have doubled up on both systems that I've inherited (she was obviously a bit of a macro nut) with respect to filling out my modern kit. So I think getting into film with both systems will be the best way to make the most of the gear.

That's a shame about the seller not wanting to post the lens. It's a bit of a non issue in this day and age with insurance etc. I won't be selling any of the gear at least while my dear Grandmother is still alive as I think she would disown me if she found out. haha

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:04 AM
Greggf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.290 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens...your landscapes summer weather shots are very nice. Love the 28 E55!1 Is it version ll?
saph...Gregg, beautiful sets with the 90 Cron and 50 lux..Thank you...more to follow! I like the composition of "Slow burns".. interesting building, too?
mmacro...the silk abstract with the 35 Lux is great!!
cams884...Welcome to the board! Very nice inheritance!! Very nice cat shot the 60 Elmarit...supposedly one of the best lenses are far as corner sharpness, and bokeh!! Quite jealous!
Saph...againHad to mount that after seeing Gregg's marvelous sets with it...Thanks again, and very nice kitty!!

And, some 50 Lux shots from today...
Gregg

Wide open

shot at f5.6, with PP, but no sharpening at all!!!!

Feb 17, 2014 at 06:22 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.290 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

And here are a couple 90 Cron...This lens is SO versatile...I'm loving it! And I now really understand why this is such a favorite portrait lens. The 2 shots of Gio are completely untouched, straight .dng and exported from LR5.3
Gregg

Feb 17, 2014 at 06:26 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.290 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
Worldinlens...your landscapes summer weather shots are very nice. Love the 28 E55!1 Is it version ll?
Gregg

Greg, 2-nd of course Both last portraits of your son are great

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:21 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.290 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greg, 2-nd of course After I asked that, I said to myself, " of course it's the second!!"...
Both last portraits of your son are great ...Thank you!
G

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:30 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.290 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greg, you have posted some wonderful portraits from 90cron.
Alex, nice color as always.
Jack, nice 80lux shot! But I forget to comments those wonderful shots through several thread from Cuba.
LZ, another great one!
cams884, 60mm is the one!

Some 80-200mm f4 shots from Laoshan Qingdao

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:47 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.290 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

R80, Fuji s5

R28 E55, D700

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:58 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.290 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Small series, different lenses... Fuji s5 at all

Lux80

Lux50E60

Cron35E55

Cron35E55

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:24 AM
cams884

p.290 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Greg, you have posted some wonderful portraits from 90cron.
Alex, nice color as always.
Jack, nice 80lux shot! But I forget to comments those wonderful shots through several thread from Cuba.
LZ, another great one!
cams884, 60mm is the one!

Some 80-200mm f4 shots from Laoshan Qingdao
snip

Love the unusual (at least compared to what I'm used to) colours in the trees and the amazing detail in the rocks.

Thanks for the warm welcome all. Here's some more shots with the 60mm macro on A7. Very impressed with it.

See if you can spot the critter in this one. I didn't until I looked at the photo on the computer when I got home.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.290 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

cams884 wrote

Love the unusual (at least compared to what I'm used to) colours in the trees and the amazing detail in the rocks.

Some time I am confused about reality and my vision in mind. Though fidelity is never my top priority, in this case, actually I was trying to be real. That day in Qingdao was cloudy but clarity is surprisingly well and color is very nice no matter the images from Leica M9, RX1 or A7. I wish I can have this kind of lighting quality when I was at Huangshan.

Alex, nice color as always!

Sunrise at Huangshan.
80-200 with A7 very tough condition for both lens and A7 sensor. and we already know A7 having problem with sensor topping flare. 80-200 is not very good in that as well.

Edit: reduce image size

Edited on Feb 18, 2014 at 05:13 AM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tri Tran
• • • •
p.290 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

100mm APO on 1Ds

Dahlia with Leica 100mm APO and Canon 1Ds97 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Dahlia with Leica 100mm APO and Canon 1Ds73 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Dahlia with Leica 100mm APO and Canon 1Ds99 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.290 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf - like the moon and tree canopy, well seen
Robin - I'm looking forward to seeing a pre-sunrise long exposure of Rotoga
Michael - Some fine images of Chinas landscape, though the sunrise at Huangshan was indeed a severe challenge on sensor and lens
mmacro - you've posted a fine series of abstracts.
Worldinlens - to my eyes the Fuji S5 looks to have excellent natural colour fidelity.
cams884 - I like image of the moth.
saph - the cat I like
Kokusai - I hope you do get some much needed rain, news of the drought has even reached this side of the pond and the National Geographic news article made grim reading. Great image of the BiF and sunset.
crazy shot & Tri Tan - great images with the 100 ame

Some images from a trip last year to the Isle of Skye, 3 with the 21-35 @ 21mm and one with the 100 AME. The 21mm end of the 21-35 has a poor rep, but stopped down and pixel peeping its OK'ish at the edges and not too bad in the extreme corners, better than I was expecting.

Glen Sligachan and its namesake river

Sgurr nan Gillian from the west flank of Marsco

Heavy rain and the northern peaks of the Black Cuillin

Glen Sligachan and the east flank of Sgurr nan Gillean

Edited on Feb 18, 2014 at 07:09 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:41 AM
mmacro
• •
p.290 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Great work everyone! (my ring finger is sore from all the "Like" clicks

And welcome to the board Cam! I'm rather new here too. You've inherited some great lenses, some more for using, others as collector's items... needless to say, Leica's rock!

Feb 18, 2014 at 02:06 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.290 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote: Jack, nice 80lux shot! But I forget to comments those wonderful shots through several thread from Cuba.

Thank you Michael. Yes, old havana is photographers dream and surely Leica-R lenses were perfect match for it.

Likewise, I looking forward to see more of your sets from China. I really like the 'Sunrise at Huangshan' especially larger version
Many of your recent captures from China like the one from Qingdao are great collection of serene, moody atmosphere. Nicely done!

Speaking of atmosphere; Jon, your captures never fail to deliver it perfectly.

Back to R: Summilux-R 80 has very unique look, especially WO to f/2.8 range where it's mostly used, but on occasion I stop it down to f/8 or like this time to f/11 just to confirm how well it serves as a landscape lens.

100% crop:

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:46 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.290 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
Thank you Adam,

First of all my apologies for high jacking this R thread, but I will make it quick.

Yes, you're right it was Summilux-M 50 ASPH and Pre-ASPH that raised some peoplesí concern.
But you know what, just like with everything else there will be negative opinions about all gear out there. Based on posted images I can easily live with A7R/Summilux-M 50 combo. Secondly, you get a fast lens to shoot WO and not to worry about corners, especially at infinity.

Ron Shaffler's Summilux-M 50

Leica-Boss

H.Hackbarth

more from H.Hackbarth (including Nokton 50/1.5)

Hi Jack! Sorry for the overdue reply. I've been away from the forums for a while.

I think after yesterdays Car Show / Autorama, I'd like a smaller profile and lighter lens than my 50 cron-R. A few of the nice benefits from the 50mm lux-M (aside from f/1.4) are the weight, character and use of the lens on different bodies. Especially if a Leica M(anything) is in the future.

I hope to share a few shots I took at the show on Sunday when I get some time and sift through my photos. My back was killing me carrying around the A7 and three primes (1 M and 2 R's). I need to do a little research into some stellar MF zooms. Possibly in the R mount!

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.290 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

cams884 wrote:
Just inherited an R kit from my Grandmother. Included is an R4, Elmarit 24mm/2.8, Macro-Elmarit 60mm/2.8 and Vario-Elmar 75-200/4.5. All with hoods and the 1:1 adapter for the 60mm.

I'd appreciate a bit of a summary on this gear. Its strengths and weaknesses etc, as this is my first foray into the (quite large) world of Leica.

I've got an A7 that I plan to use them on as well as get into some film (which I've never done before).

And because this is a photo thread, one with the 60mm on the A7:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2885/12555626584_78f111b829_c.jpg
Jumar Portrait by CameronS884, on Flickr

ta

Such a wonderful capture! Love the eyes and the soft transition.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.290 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Maybe something posted, I just do not remember All from Fuji s5, different R lenses

R35 2.0 E55

R35 2.0 E55

R50 1.4 E60

R35 2.0 E55

R35 2.0 E55

R50 1.4 E60

R50 1.4 E60

R50 1.4 E60

R28 2.8 E55

R50 1.4 E60

R35 2.0 E55

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:32 PM
cams884

p.290 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lovely shots Worldinlens. Can I ask a noob question. What do the E55/E60 refer to in your lens descriptions? I've seen this mentioned elsewhere too. ta

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.290 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

cams884 wrote:
Lovely shots Worldinlens. Can I ask a noob question. What do the E55/E60 refer to in your lens descriptions? I've seen this mentioned elsewhere too. ta

Thank you, the description E... here for understanding version of the lens, if was more than one version. This means the front filter thread in fact. Also use for description "1-st version", "2-nd version"... as well as "I", "II" ...

Here more about R-lenses:
www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/R_Lenses_x_Focal_Length]http://test.www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/R_Lenses_x_Focal_Length[/url]

Feb 19, 2014 at 01:26 AM
Milkman
• • •
p.290 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

A little bit of background. I have been roughly 20 years in photography mostly shooting Nikon. Now I am onto 3 systems......<sigh> I have a complete Nikon system from 18mm-600mm, a Fuji X system and now a Leica system since they came out with the M240. I started my M based system with the Ricoh GXR and how much joy I came out of using that system compelled me to look at the Leica M 240 when it was released. I have been using it for a number of months along with my other systems and have found many niches in my photography that it feels very well. One of the only frustrations I had with the M system is the lack of close focusing of the native lenses. I was not aware how much of my photography was inside of 0.7m and even with some of the Voigtlander lenses inside of 0.5m. So although I do have a few M lenses and very much like them I have also purchased some other lenses that I have used on a M-Mount adapter, an Olympus OM 21 and 55mm and also a 28mm f/2 Rokkor. On the Macro side, I have also purchased the Leica 60mm Macro which I have fallen in love with. With those thoughts in mind, I have been planning out some of my next purchases. I love the size and weight of the OM glass, but I have not been happy with the wide-angle performance of the 21mm. It's plenty sharp, but it has quite a bit of distortion. Eventually what I would like to have is a kit of 19, 28, 50, 90 and 135.

OK finally onto the question. Since I love the Leica macro 60, I have been wondering if Leica R glass is the way to go? They have plenty of good choices in those ranges that would match up well with the Leica M to R converter. If so and if I specifically wanted to look at the ~19mm focal length and the 28 would be the 28mm v1 or 2 perform equally to the Rokkor 28mm f/2 that I already own? On the wide side is there anything else I should consider other than the Leica R 19mm?
Thanks for the help

Feb 19, 2014 at 02:02 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password