p.285 #2 · p.285 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

90mm f/2 APO-Summicron-R ASPH

Mar 10, 2014 at 05:07 AM
Kokusai
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.285 #3 · p.285 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
^^^ Great capture Kokusai! Light is just perfect....

Thanks Jack. Spring is upon us. Nice shot of the seedlings sprouting from the ground.

Gregg -- This thread is on page 2? What happened to your daily posting? Forgot to take the camera to work? :

Almass -- Nice portrait shot with the 90 AA.

I hardly do any landscape photography with a tripod. Carrying a tripod feels really awkward to me. Hopefully with enough practice, I get better at it. CC highly encouraged...

28 Elmarit-R ROM...

Mar 11, 2014 at 04:00 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.285 #4 · p.285 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Kokusai wrote:
I hardly do any landscape photography with a tripod. Carrying a tripod feels really awkward to me. Hopefully with enough practice, I get better at it. CC highly encouraged...

Kokusai,

I like this one a lot. It seems to have good contrast at about every level of detail, from the bulk of the trees against the clouds to the ever-more-detailed shadows among the rocks. I like the people in the shot, particularly how small they are relative to the environment. I like how the soft contrast in the sky balances the harshness of the rocks.

My criticism of it is with the color--which is pleasant, but after looking at it for a bit doesn't seem quite right. It is a bit too warm at the top right, extending down over the rocks in the central frame but not over the rocks at lower right. Also, the sudden shift from red sky (top right) to strong blue (just left of that) is a bit strong. I downloaded this and made a black and white version that stands out--although this may just be my bias, as I've been favoring B&W lately. It could also be that I've been living under cloudy skies for about the last 8 months so I might've forgotten what genuine color in the sky looks like...

Also, regarding tripods: I've gone so far as designing tripod backpacks but haven't ever found a way to actually get myself to use the clumsy things. What I do use, though, is a mini tripod: a standard tripod head bolted onto a large PVC cap. The tripod head can bolt onto the inside of the cap, which makes it rather portable. You do need to be flexible to find things to place the mini-pod on, or just accept a low point of view, but it provides stability that light sometimes requires without making me curse the thing at all other times like tripods do.

Cheers,
Jon

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:12 PM
Kokusai
• •
p.285 #5 · p.285 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon -- Thank you very much for your feedback. I truly appreciate it. Your assessment on the color is spot on. I'm just now learning how to PP landscape work using LR5 with graduated filters and adjustment brush. The lower right frame looks weird probably because of the custom vignette I added in post. Also, great tip on using a mini-tripod. I may get a gorilla pod or something like that for portability.

Mar 11, 2014 at 06:55 PM

p.285 #6 · p.285 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Today's

R9DMR + R35/2E55

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:16 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.285 #7 · p.285 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

350mm:

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM
robin bush
• •
p.285 #8 · p.285 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

West Coast New Zealand, wave platform. Taken several years ago when I owned Leica r 19mm v2

Canon 1ds2 Leica r 19mm v2

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.285 #9 · p.285 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Awesome shot, Robin!!
A7 and Cron R 90 shot in .jpg for a change this morning! No PP done whatsoever, just SOOC...
Gregg

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:36 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.285 #10 · p.285 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

And a couple more from today, too...A7 + Cron R 90
SOOC .jpgs, BTW
Gregg

Check out that 3D and f2 vignetting!

And I love this bokeh...granted it's not 80 Lux, bokeh, but damn close!!

Mar 13, 2014 at 09:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.285 #11 · p.285 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Has anyone posted R photos from an adapted Oly system like the OMD-EM1?

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:38 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.285 #12 · p.285 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

This was the 60 Macro Elmarit on EM5

Mike

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:13 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.285 #13 · p.285 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

mcbroomf wrote:
This was the 60 Macro Elmarit on EM5

Mike
http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/63/551663/1/154846783.bW826TjR._6030680.jpg
http://m4.i.pbase.com/o9/63/551663/1/154846784.4gaTDxw5._6030639.jpg

Great captures there Mike! I've been thinking of trying out Oly's MFT offering and renting/letting the EM1. Possibly adapt some of my MF lenses on it. Thanks for sharing your Oly shots Mike!

Mar 15, 2014 at 04:53 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.285 #14 · p.285 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Kokusai wrote:
I hardly do any landscape photography with a tripod. Carrying a tripod feels really awkward to me.

One of the great temptations is carrying it by one leg, which is fine until you stumble/slip and you then find how painful it can be as the other legs act as a vice on your fingers, when you make contact with terra firma

I gave up a long time ago trying to find a camera bag fit for purpose for landscaping, so a technical rucksack with side pockets and straps I've found the best for stashing away a tripod and carrying it. A decent outdoor shop will carry a range of quality rucksacks and with their sage advice, you'll find the perfect ergonomic fit. You could lash the tripod onto the back of the rucksack, however, one day you could be ascending some steep stuff and feel the need to look up for the next hand hold/best line/how far away the summit still is and the rear of your head will make contact with the tripod head next time out you've now got the tripod head sans scalp and dried blood, encased in a protective neoprene pouch and need to lean out to see the next hold/ascent line up, the weight of the tripod/head has shifted your centre of gravity out and you need to grip a little bit harder onto the rock face, which if it's loose, will give you at best an unexpected adrenaline high

I know tripods are supposed to be black and I too frowned on the aesthetics of green, but Gitzo might have finally implemented a durable leg lock sealing system in this series and I never thought I'd type that.

Images with 28-90 + 1ds3 (hand held too!)

Easiest way to carry a tripod IMHO

Anti vibration ballast

Mar 15, 2014 at 06:38 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.285 #15 · p.285 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks Alpha_G (and Jon for the Like)

Mar 15, 2014 at 08:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.285 #16 · p.285 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Has anyone posted R photos from an adapted Oly system like the OMD-EM1?

i posted a bunch early on in the thread with the R 350mm, but that was on an old 4/3 olympus (e520): https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/895186/0#8428037

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.285 #17 · p.285 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Jon, you have some very impress sunset/landscape images posted. Just beautiful. And thank you for share your very objective impression about this legendary lens. It sell like $6000+ now, a dream lens for many M240 people.

Thank you too, Michael. Ah, I can see why many M240 owners might want this lens (c/w lens profile corrections), happily I only paid about $3.2K.

Worldinlens wrote:
Fuji s5, R50E60

Alex, I'm not certain I've said this before, but I prefer the colour of the Fuji s5 over the Leica DMR images.

jhinkey wrote:
A couple quick ones just before dinner tonight - a rare clear-ish evening here in the Pacific North West, so I had to throw in the 180/3.4 APO Telyt onto the Pany GX7. Light and color were changing fast!

Wonderful atmospheric images of Mt. Rainier

JaKo wrote:
Jon: sunny UK?!

Oh yes, so far 7 consecutive days of no rain and even some sunshine, which is better than most summers

Milkman wrote:
Jon I would love to see that comparison of 28s

I managed to spend an hour field testing the three R 28mm options, in a quarry setting, I couldn't get a near far composition on the level, but I did manage a composition which does show some aspects of the respective lenses character. I can flood the R lens thread with posts (afaik I can only upload five images in any post) or post crops of interesting detail?

Edits - finally uploaded a 100% corner crop instead of 100%+ corner crop, sigh

Field test scene - 28mm/2.8 E55 @2.8 and infinity, no in camera or PP sharpening

28/2.8 E55 @2.8 and infinity, 100% crop, no in camera or PP sharpening

Edited on Mar 15, 2014 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:01 PM
robin bush
• •
p.285 #18 · p.285 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Hi John,
Have you tried to shim between lens and adapter. Almost all of my alternative lenses have been shimmed to some degree to get the best out of them.

Best regards

Robin

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:14 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.285 #19 · p.285 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon, Again thanks for the info. If I am into landscape, 28 will be my choice. but for prime, I need faster lens.

Here are a few family walk during weekend.
all by 35lux WO or f2 with D700

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.285 #20 · p.285 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael, that last shot is incredible!!
Gregg

Mar 16, 2014 at 01:14 AM
1       2       3              284      
       286              420       421       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              284      
       286              420       421       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.