Canon 1ds3 Leica r 28mm v2

Auckland City. New Zealand

Mar 07, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.284 #3 · p.284 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^^^
Robin...you really need to stop! Please! I can't handle yours, Jack's, and Almass' shots with the 28v2!! The last one is really incredible! And that's through my iPhone 4S screen, not even my monitor!!!
Gregg

Mar 07, 2014 at 04:32 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.284 #4 · p.284 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Milkman wrote:
Jon How does the weight compare for the 28-90 on your Canon vs a similar 24-70 of 24-105 L lens? Is it as well balanced?

I keep looking at this lens, but don't know how serious I should be about getting one.

Ah, I'm probably not the one to ask about its haptics with the 1ds3 as I don't handhold. 99.99% of my images are tripod mounted, with maximum DoF and a landscape or wood in view, so bearing that in mind, here's my thoughts.

The negatives
I'm not overly concerned with distortion, but I've found the lens can display colour fringing and more annoyingly veiling flare. The variable aperture is frustrating and can catch you out if you've come from recently using a constant aperture zoom. I've solely used manually focused lenses for the last 9 years (incl tilt shift lenses) and despite owning the lens for over a year, I haven't found the 28-90 an easy lens to know intuitively, even when using a decent live view. I'm still trying to intuitively understand the focal length/distance setting/aperture and the effect of magnification with respect to DoF, colour fringing and resolution of fine detail.

I couldn't recommend this lens for woodland photography, the R 35-70/4 is far better for veiling flare resistance and less prone to colour fringing. Also, I can't comment on the 28-90 WO performance, its a look I don't need for landscapes.

The positives
I haven't owned either of the 24-70's, I do own the much maligned 24-105/4 and I thought my copy fairly good, however the 28-90 has better resolution of fine detail and colour. Build quality wise the 28-90 is well engineered, better than any Canon L I've owned. Also, I've yet to notice any dust/pollen on internal elements, so the tolerances/sealing(?) must be OK and I've had no issues with using it in heavy rain/sleet/snow.

Despite Erwin Puts's comments, in my experience I don't believe the 28-90 has better performance than the 28v2*, 60 macro and 90/2.8 or the 35-70/4 in some situations and I suspect the the 21-35* (between 28-35) but it comes close and that makes the 28-90 competitive when minimising weight, space or changing lenses is going to cause grief with pollen/dust contamination OR when a zoom can frame a scene that two legs can't.

One final thought, over the Xmas period I looked back retrospectively at images made in 2013 and despite all the aforementioned negatives, some of the most satisfying were made with this lens.

Hope that helps.

* Note to self - One day do a comparison field test of the respective 28's (21-35, 28v2 and 28-90)

Mar 07, 2014 at 06:47 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.284 #5 · p.284 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

A couple quick ones just before dinner tonight - a rare clear-ish evening here in the Pacific North West, so I had to throw in the 180/3.4 APO Telyt onto the Pany GX7. Don't have a step-up ring yet from 60mm to my 77mm CPL so I held it over the front by hand while steadying the lens. Shot at f/5.6. Light and color were changing fast!

Haven't Seen Mt. Rainier In Weeks!

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:06 PM
robin bush
• •
p.284 #6 · p.284 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thank you for the kind words Milkman.
Regarding Leica r 28-90, I owned one for a while, tested it against Leica r 28 v2, Contax 35-70 and Canon 24-70 v2. Leica r 28-90 was disappointing compared to the others. Had hoped it would replace my Leica r 28mm & Contax 35-70, sadly, it produced colour fringing at the wide end 28-40mm. Became an expensive mistake.
I did post results on FM some time ago.

Mar 07, 2014 at 11:48 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.284 #7 · p.284 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alex, Nice rendering and very real color.
Almass, Very nice image, color, content all great! Would love to hear a little background about this location
Robin, you continue impress me about your images with Leica 28, though I am aware that you can make any lens shine
Jon, you have some very impress sunset/landscape images posted. Just beautiful. And thank you for share your very objective impression about this legendary lens. It sell like $6000+ now, a dream lens for many M240 people.
Jhinkey, you have beautiful mountain over their, I miss Oregon. Hope I can visit it soon.

Here are few 80lux WO shot, I took a while ago, but only get the time to process now

Mar 08, 2014 at 12:02 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.284 #8 · p.284 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Nice Michael! I really like these shots.

Mar 08, 2014 at 01:29 AM
Almass
• • •
p.284 #9 · p.284 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
^^^^^
Robin...you really need to stop! Please! I can't handle yours, Jack's, and Almass' shots with the 28v2!! The last one is really incredible! And that's through my iPhone 4S screen, not even my monitor!!!
Gregg

Tssst, tssst.....Iphone 4s,,,,=====at least 5s and when r u gonna get a 28/2.8 VII?

We buy left kidneys at special prices.......

There are 3 ways to loose lot of money:
- Women
- Technology
- Leica R glass.

But......I thoroughly enjoy your pics and specially the little guy.....he is more worth than all the glass in the world.

Mar 08, 2014 at 01:58 AM
Milkman
• • •
p.284 #10 · p.284 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon I would love to see that comparison of 28s and thanks for all of the thoughts about the 28-90 they were very helpful. I'm in the middle section of a complete change of direction and selling quite a bit of my Nikon gear. At this point I don't know where I will end up.

Robin Thanks for the feedback. I will have to look for that on FM

Mar 08, 2014 at 05:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greggf
• • • •
p.284 #11 · p.284 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Tssst, tssst.....Iphone 4s,,,,=====at least 5s and when r u gonna get a 28/2.8 VII?

Funny!! Although the resolution for both phones(4s & 5s) are the same, just different sizes screens...trying to talk my wife into letting me get the 5s, especially since I just got her a 5c!! But it's(5s) is much more prominent than my camera gear which I can hide
And I have a Contax 28, so it'll be a while before I can justify the v2! Damn

But......I thoroughly enjoy your pics and specially the little guy.....he is more worth than all the glass in the world.
Fully agree...thank you! Do you think my youngest is worth the v2? Anyone willing to trade??
Gregg

Mar 08, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.284 #12 · p.284 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael...beautiful images with the 80! You nailed the focus!
Love that lens...well, at least those of you that have them and create incredible images!
Gregg

Mar 08, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Milkman
• • •
p.284 #13 · p.284 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf Which Contax 28 do you have? f/2.8 or f/2?

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.284 #14 · p.284 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^ Hi Milkman..it's the 2.8 version
Gregg

Mar 08, 2014 at 02:37 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.284 #15 · p.284 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Here are a few shots with my A7& 50 Lux..
Gregg

f11

Mar 08, 2014 at 06:07 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.284 #16 · p.284 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

A few more with the A7 and Lux 50
Gregg

f4 I believe..

Inside my buddies Beemer, @ f2

shot at f5.6

Mar 09, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Kokusai
• •
p.284 #17 · p.284 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Keep up the good work everyone!

cams884 -- Good idea to start off with inexpensive film while learning how to use the camera. If you need help developing them at home yourself, please do not hesitate to ask.

Gregg -- Sorry I missed your post from the 1.2 tread. The Rokkor 58 1.2 is a very special lens and should be in every Alt shooter's toolkit. Do not get rid of it! If you're patient, the rest of the fast 1.2 lens could be bought for around USD$350.

Alpha_Geist -- Nice closeup shot of the beckoning cat. Mine is staring at me across the room...

Robin -- Beautiful shots of Piha and Rangitoto! Keep them coming...

Jon -- Good to know about the Imperial Valley alfalfa farmers. Love the dramatic shot of the sun at dawn. You should post more with the sun in them. It reminds me of the movie Independence Day.

Wordinlens -- Beautiful portrait shot. You must be a proud papa!

Almass -- It's about time you took the 28 v2 lens out from the wine cellar. Where's the 90 AA? Nice capture.

Michael -- #2 for me. So whimsical...

I've been grounded as of late due to rain and work, both very good things to me. So, didn't get to shoot much and decided to PP this shot I took at Stanford. Inspired by the renaissance art, I hope you like it...

50 Lux E55...

Mar 09, 2014 at 03:39 PM
Almass
• • •
p.284 #18 · p.284 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Kokusai wrote:
Almass -- It's about time you took the 28 v2 lens out from the wine cellar. Where's the 90 AA? Nice capture.

LoL @ Kokusai, so many lenses...so little time!

90mm f/2 APO-Summicron-R ASPH

Mar 09, 2014 at 11:07 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.284 #19 · p.284 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^ Great capture Kokusai! Light is just perfect.

I feel guilty of not posting in R thread lately. Quickly checking fabulous capture in the last few pages.
Almass: love the 'Umbrellas' image - perfect scenario to show off Elmarit-R 28
Robin: your "Auckland City. New Zealand' shot looks almost like my 'hood in Vancouver
Jon: sunny UK?!
Gregg: man, you keep this thread alive with your teasing show off of great R lenses! How do you like your FF A7?
Michael: I recall your 'kites on a hill' series from few month back. Glad you posted B/W versions.
Alpha_Geist, Kokusai, Manoj, Lieutenant Z and other; thanks for posting inspiring images!

@f/2.0

Mar 10, 2014 at 01:17 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.284 #20 · p.284 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^^ Very nice capture, Jack
Gregg: man, you keep this thread alive with your teasing show off of great R lenses! How do you like your FF A7?
Thanks Jack! I try...
And I do LOVE the A7. The more I use it, the more I like it! I've posted several images in the A7 thread, along with 1.2, and Zeiss threads, also!
G

Mar 10, 2014 at 01:22 AM
1       2       3              283      
       285              420       421       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              283      
       285              420       421       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.