1       2       3              267      
       269              356       357       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.268 #1 · p.268 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
You may want to browse through few pages of posted samples regarding Leica vs. Zeiss

http://www.kozera.ca/photos/images/_DSC0840_1600.jpg

Thank you for the link Jack. I'm reading each and every page in that thread while I'm at my desk for my lunch break. Reading that thread is giving me doubts of selling my Zeiss 135 apo. I may need to pull it off CG since I do enjoy the characteristic traits of both the zeiss & leica glass. It just depends on what my subject is and what mood I'm in that will dictate which lens to use. The only "comparable" leica lens (and I use comparable loosely) to the zeiss 135 is my 90 cron pre asph-m. I just haven't used the 135 much after acquiring the a7. I can't tell you the last time I used my DSLR. Ha!

Now, with a mini collection of leica glass in my bag (35mm still pending, in transit!), I just need some time to shoot and post in these threads. Every photo post here makes me pine to go out and shoot! It's a little tough when you work the grave/swing shift hours, but keep those photos coming. They only strengthen my resolve to shoot more in the small time I have.

Edited on Jan 30, 2014 at 02:27 AM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:25 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.268 #2 · p.268 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
No, this hole for small screw in deep for additional fixing this front decorative ring

Oh! Haha and here I originally thought the lens was missing a screw or something...and then doubted that and proposed that it was some sort of vent! :P

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:26 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.268 #3 · p.268 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Thank you for the link Jack. I'm reading each and every page in that thread while I'm at my desk for my lunch break. Reading that thread is giving me doubts of selling my Zeiss 135 apo. I may need to pull it off CG since I do enjoy the characteristic traits of both the zeiss & leica glass. It just depends on what my subject is and what mood I'm in that will dictate which lens to use. The only "comparable" leica lens (and I use comparable loosely) to the zeiss 135 is my 90 cron pre asph-m. I
...Show more

I wouldn't sell your Zeiss for Leica. As per my previously included thread Zeiss & Leica are... different. The bad news is that you may end up with multiple copies of lenses of the same focal length, but heck $$$ invested in Leica-R glass has better return than banks

You will love your new Summicron-R 35. I purposely used it in Cuba for its classic rendering to match atmosphere of old Havana. I felt that Zeiss glass would present too modern, technically perfect look.

Worldinlens wrote: What happened with sky colours Jack?
Software added ND Grad filter, Alex. I know, not pretty

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:48 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.268 #4 · p.268 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
I wouldn't sell your Zeiss for Leica. As per my previously included thread Zeiss & Leica are... different. The bad news is that you may end up with multiple copies of lenses of the same focal length, but heck $$$ invested in Leica-R glass has better return than banks

You will love your new Summicron-R 35. I purposely used it in Cuba for its classic rendering to match atmosphere of old Havana. I felt that Zeiss glass would present too modern, technically perfect look.

Software added ND Grad filter, Alex. I know, not pretty

http://www.kozera.ca/photos/images/_DSC0939_640.jpg

Yep! I had doubts on selling the 135 when the thought originally flew across my grey matter. I can attribute the "sign" that despite my posting of the 135 having been active for almost 3 weeks and not one email/bite concerning interest in the lens suggests that it belongs in my bag.

I'm already eyeing the 80mm R Lux. :P

Jan 30, 2014 at 04:15 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.268 #5 · p.268 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Oh! Haha and here I originally thought the lens was missing a screw or something...and then doubted that and proposed that it was some sort of vent! :P

No need additional holes for ventilation ) All R lenses already without any seals against dust/water/etc. This is the main reason of the dust inside lens unit, the small particles can blowing from outside into lens unit in the aperture area - there the internal lenses open for dust. When you rotate the focusing ring inside the lens there is small underpressure which can swamp the small dust.

Jan 30, 2014 at 04:24 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.268 #6 · p.268 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
No need additional holes for ventilation ) All R lenses already without any seals against dust/water/etc. This is the main reason of the dust inside lens unit, the small particles can blowing from outside into lens unit in the aperture area - there the internal lenses open for dust. When you rotate the focusing ring inside the lens there is small underpressure which can swamp the small dust.

On the note of dust in the lens, when a lens is sent for CLA, is the dust accumulation that is usually seen on the rear element cleaned/removed?

I've never heard of CLA (clean, lube, adjust) before until reading a few of these threads. Also, since the nature of the R series of lenses are open to the elements, how often or recommended is it to send in the lens for CLA?

Jan 30, 2014 at 05:20 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.268 #7 · p.268 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

....hmmm... What is the practical meaning of my words? The dust mostly swamp from rear side, that's internal design of the lenses and we can't change it. If you take for example R80 with rear cap and try fast rotate the focusing ring it's will be with more forces instead open rear side, the internal vacuum will resist. Or u can hear low whistle of air if the cap not sealed enough. So for some kind of protect need to avoid rotation without rear cap, especially in dusty conditions, especially fast rotate. On the camera - ok, with rear cap - much better than without.

I try to illustrate

If the lens does not disassembling before in 80-90% cases the dust between both internal lenses in the aperture area. But we can have illusion than dust anywhere, for example near rear lens or near front for example Very often this is an optical illusion because of the different lens curvature

Jan 30, 2014 at 05:29 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.268 #8 · p.268 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gotta love this forum/thread!! I know, that if I needed an answer, I could without a doubt, get one here!! And the sheer amount of talent on this particular board, inspires me to become a better photographer!!
Thanks....
Gregg

And a couple shots with the 50 Lux...all wide open

Mason with a family friend...

Jan 30, 2014 at 05:59 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.268 #9 · p.268 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
....hmmm... What is the practical meaning of my words? The dust mostly swamp from rear side, that's internal design of the lenses and we can't change it. If you take for example R80 with rear cap and try fast rotate the focusing ring it's will be with more forces instead open rear side, the internal vacuum will resist. Or u can hear low whistle of air if the cap not sealed enough. So for some kind of protect need to avoid rotation without rear cap, especially in dusty conditions, especially fast rotate. On the camera - ok, with rear cap
...Show more

Thank you very much for your explanation and illustrative example. I now can see how the illusion of dust on, say the interior rear element of an R80, is not exactly what it seems due to the complex nature of the lens elements and its groupings. One way I (try) sleep easy at night is to not shine a LED flashlight into the lens looking for dust.

Sorry for bringing this thread off tangent! Please, more photos!

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:09 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.268 #10 · p.268 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
Gotta love this forum/thread!! I know, that if I needed an answer, I could without a doubt, get one here!! And the sheer amount of talent on this particular board, inspires me to become a better photographer!!
Thanks....
Gregg

And a couple shots with the 50 Lux...all wide open

Gregg, love 1st and 2nd by the colors... Very nice

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Worldinlens
• • •
p.268 #11 · p.268 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Thank you very much for your explanation and illustrative example. I now can see how the illusion of dust on, say the interior rear element of an R80, is not exactly what it seems due to the complex nature of the lens elements and its groupings. One way I (try) sleep easy at night is to not shine a LED flashlight into the lens looking for dust.

Sorry for bringing this thread off tangent! Please, more photos!

) never use led flashlight if you want to sleep in peace. Microscopical particles present in ALL lenses which we use

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:26 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.268 #12 · p.268 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg, love 1st and 2nd by the colors... Very nice
Thank you Alex
Gregg

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:40 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.268 #13 · p.268 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Frozen colours... DMR R35-70/4

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:22 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.268 #14 · p.268 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

I'm thinking of renting a Sony A7(R) from Roger. Any input as to which? AND...which adapter do I need so I can use my Leica R lenses on it? Or my Canon lenses?
thanks in advance,
Gregg

Jan 31, 2014 at 05:07 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.268 #15 · p.268 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

And a few shots taken today with the 35 Cron while I was at work.
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

This is part of the area where I deliver...every day! Pretty crappy, really ;)

Jan 31, 2014 at 05:42 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.268 #16 · p.268 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

One more set. 35 Cron...
Gregg

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:44 AM
Kokusai
• •
p.268 #17 · p.268 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg - I use the Metabones adapters for my Leica R and Canon lenses with good results. Highly recommended. Will you be renting the A7 or the A7r?

A couple of still lifes with the 50 lux...

Jan 31, 2014 at 04:18 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.268 #18 · p.268 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Probably just the A7...nice Lux pics! I want just the regular E mount, correct??
Gregg

Jan 31, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Kokusai
• •
p.268 #19 · p.268 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
Probably just the A7...nice Lux pics! I want just the regular E mount, correct??
Gregg

Correct. For the R lens, this one here (version II) ... Link

or from B&H ... Link

Jan 31, 2014 at 04:59 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.268 #20 · p.268 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

great colors, Kokusai.

50 cron :

Jan 31, 2014 at 06:21 PM
1       2       3              267