Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              263      
       265              325       326       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.264 #1 · p.264 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon Tainton wrote:
I've no experience with the lens, but here's a link to the old Erwin Puts 2005 lens compendium, which covers a fair bit of leica territory. http://www.furnfeather.net/books/pdf/llcforweb.pdf

There's also tech data sheets etc on the Leica website to download http://us.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/lenses_for_single_lens_reflex_cameras/index.html

hth

Thank you very much for the links! I'll check them out while I'm in the office. Most people have already left for the holidays and it's empty here. So I'll be able to read these uninterrupted. Yes!!!

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.264 #2 · p.264 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
I don't know whether to clap you on the shoulder and buy you a beer to welcome you to the club, or to try to scare you away and see if I can't keep it from becoming an addiction.

First off, money. Yes, the R version is considerably cheaper than the nearly identical M version. But a perfectly good Super Takumar 50/1.4 is even cheaper still and arguably provides a more harmonious, more classical rendering with nearly as good handling. So, before you spend hundreds of dollars on a moderately fast normal prime, take many close looks at the sample
...Show more

First off I'd like to thank you whole heartedly for such thorough information as well as alternatives! I have some homework to do, especially with cam 1, 2, 3 and ROM lenses (never heard of these before) and the Macro Elmarit R 60.

For the Takumar 50/1.4, is that a M39 screw mount lens. I did a quick google image search (not in anyway scientific) and noticed the name Pentax thrown around a bit. Pentax mount?

As you can see, this is my first foray in to using lenses that don't natively mount onto canikon dslrs, and I'm seriously thinking of selling a majority of my canikon gear to fund some more alternative gear lenses and possibly a body or two. So I'll share that beer with ya!

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.264 #3 · p.264 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

telyt wrote:
The older version will give you a smaller profile but not a lower weight. 290g for the second version, 330g for the first version.

The good news is that both versions of the cron are still lighter than my 50/1.4 Planar ZE.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.264 #4 · p.264 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

ocean2059 wrote:
Jako, how do you like the balance between your Leica R lenses and the A7r? Thanks,

I find it quite right. Even with F to E adapter (my R glass is Leitax-ed) smaller lenses like R28, 35 and 50 feel well balanced. I use Metabones, which is handy due to its tripod mount and Fotodiox adapters and the setup doesn't feel off. Mounting heavier lenses like Summilux-R 80 or Zeiss glass is a different story. The camera/lens balance is obviously shifted towards the lens; however, I simply support the setup by holding the lens, which works quite well. For tripod shooting it makes no difference and I expect once RRS bracket arrives it may all feel just like DSLR.
I also use these lenses on Nikon FE2 SLR which is close to A7R size-wise so not much adjustment was needed.

Oh, once or twice I tried Sony NEX7 and 5 and they waaay too small for me.

@f/2.8

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.264 #5 · p.264 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Im sorry, maybe too late. The difference between 1-st and 2-nd:

1. Rendering. The 1-st have old style renderind (60-70th years lenses), more soft sometimes and blury. With controlled light the center sharpness high.
2. 1-st have old coatings and lower contrast against strong flashlights.
3. 1-st have more curvature of field to corners.

So if u planning universal lens - of course 2-nd ver. If interesting bokeh and rendering - maybe even 1-st would be more interesting. Btw, 1-cam ver. very difficult for modification for nikon for example - it have non-screwed cam and need to shave it. The 2-cam ver. have common internal design.

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.264 #6 · p.264 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Nice one, Jack ^

50 R Summicron :

Dec 21, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Alpha_Geist
• •
p.264 #7 · p.264 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Wow! I'm begining to like the 50 Summicron-R.

Dec 21, 2013 at 07:21 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.264 #8 · p.264 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jack, LZ, both great images for a nice start of this pg

50 cron R f2.8 A7R my regular lens test

80-200 f4 A7R

21-35 A7R film simulated

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.264 #9 · p.264 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^^^ I like the film simulation, Michael....really makes the colors POP!
Gregg

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.264 #10 · p.264 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Christmas Tree, Oh, Christmas Tree ....BOKEH!!
Gregg

50 Lux wide open with opposite focus

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greggf
• • •
p.264 #11 · p.264 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

And then someone tell me...What are those spots all over my circles?
G

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:28 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.264 #12 · p.264 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Couple more shots from today... I even brought out the 35 Cron to play with, which was a mistake, 'cause I didn't want to put IT down!!
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

The best first...50 Lux think at f2, maybe wide open, and barely any PP done, including NO sharpening!!

35 Cron @f2.8, I think...sorry for the naked butt!!

Dec 22, 2013 at 05:14 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.264 #13 · p.264 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

And a couple artsy 35 Cron shots...Really like the way this lens draws.
Gregg

@f2.8

Wide open

Wide open

Dec 22, 2013 at 05:19 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.264 #14 · p.264 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael,

the Leica R + A7r combo seems to deliver nice color (second pic). Certainly better than 6D for me. What do you think?

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:28 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.264 #15 · p.264 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

redisburning wrote:
Michael,

the Leica R + A7r combo seems to deliver nice color (second pic). Certainly better than 6D for me. What do you think?

No comparison I still miss the 6D for everything else but I am struggle with skin tone with that camera for my taste. Otherwise, a lovely body.

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:41 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.264 #16 · p.264 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
G

There is likely some crud in the lens on the glass somewhere... maybe oil spots?

Back a while ago, I did some similar shots with a Canon 400/2.8 (first version in EF mount) and noticed a strange line in the middle of the OOF light blobs... Looking very closely into the lens, I noticed what appeared to be a manufacturing defect in the surface of one of the elements - like a deep scratch... While the lens worked fine in normal use, the defect always appeared in OOF specular highlights... and was just one more reason I quickly got the Mark II version when it became available...

Shining a light through your lens while inspecting it might make the spots more visible and identifiable..

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:20 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.264 #17 · p.264 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
G

Please look with more attention inside the lens if you want to sleep in peace

Dec 22, 2013 at 09:31 AM
waterden
• •
p.264 #18 · p.264 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Horses for courses. My 6D is irreplaceable for (a) landscape use with the TSE 24/3.5 II (which is too big for the a7 and needs an adapter which costs as much as a 50 Summicron R), (b) BIF with my EF 70-200/4 and 400/5.6 and (c) macro with the R 100 AME (again a little big for the a7). For (a) and (c) I use the lenses tripod mounted and check critical focus with the fantastic EOS Remote app on my Galaxy. For everything else, including all walk-around and travel the a7 is perfect.
redisburning wrote:
Michael,

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM
saph
• • • •
p.264 #19 · p.264 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg, just adding to the two comments above. Those spots only show up in such OOF circles and don't affect the quality otherwise. Hopefully those are on one or the other outside lens surface.

Trying to get Christmas tree bokeh recently with a ~1967 Nikon 55 f1.2, I saw two consistent smudges in each OOF circle (or shape ) along with little spots.

Turned out there were two fingertip smudges on the front, which were easily cleaned off. But the little dirt particles I saw on inside surfaces I will just live with and just remember not to shine a light through the lens.

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.264 #20 · p.264 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thank you everyone for all the likes! I'm really enjoying the R craze at the moment! Haven't gotten out much to actually take real photos, besides my kids and stuff around the house, but I'll be taking a little time off once the "season" is over, and I'm not working 12 hour days!! The person that loaned me the 4 R lenses(2.8/24 E60, 2/35, 2/50, & 2.8/90) is back from vacation. I talked to her husband and told him to tell her that I'll give the "R's" back when I'm bloody we'll ready!!! Of course, I was kidding, but hopefully she'll let me keep them for a awhile longer. The Elmarit 24 hits the mirror on my 1D4 depending on focus distance, but the other 3 I have used quite a bit....well, except the 50 Cron, since I bought my 50 Lux
Anyways, I'm rambling....
The bokeh spots really show up in the Xmas tree pic mainly because I boosted the shadows and exposure by 1+ stops, to get the desired effect!! I've looked through the lens with a flashlight, and did see a few spots, but nothing too bad...well, nothing that I can't live with.
Thank you everyone for the input...
Gregg

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:51 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password