Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              257      
       259              329       330       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.258 #1 · p.258 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Ltz...BEAUTIFUL shot of the Citroen!! The blacks draw me in!!! Wow!
@Jon...really like the second shot with the 35-70! It feels like it belongs on a wall!
Gregg

Dec 08, 2013 at 04:56 PM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.258 #2 · p.258 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks Gregg.

Jon, several of those woods images are exceptional, they look almost magical. Richard, nice sharp leaves!

The frontal view of the Citroen is superb Philippe! Beautifully taken and processed.

Here's one more from the Christmas lit boats at Baltimore's Inner Harbor yesterday.

SleighParty by maryland_photos, on Flickr

50mm Summicron-R.

Dec 08, 2013 at 05:09 PM
nicoimages
• •
p.258 #3 · p.258 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Sony A7R with Leica R 28mm f2.8 V2

First three images are at f5.6 all others at f2.8

Originals on http://www.flickr.com/photos/nico1974 my portofolio site http://nicoimages.com

Dec 08, 2013 at 06:43 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.258 #4 · p.258 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Rich, thanks for the reply, much appreciated. The 'artifacts' probably are due to the file conversions and downsizing.

Ah, I've been wondering how the A7r sensor performs, your uploads do indeed show detail and sharpness, but a real torture test for a lens/sensor are 'sky lined' leaves/branches, ref attached screenshot of a crop from the top of a woodland image @300% to exaggerate the 'colour fringing' of the vario elmar 21-35/3.5-4 at 21mm, the sky was overcast, this sort of heterogeneous 'colour fringing' is a PITA to deal with.

IIRC I've read that there's some speculation some cameras clean up 'colour fringing' in-camera and this shows as branches/leaves with anomalous colour and/or detail. The 100 AME is not quite immune to 'colour fringing' but it is the best lens I've encountered, to date on the 1DS3. It might be worth taking photos with the A7r + 100 AME of twigs/branches/leaves against a sky?

FM's Toothwalker has an article on 'fringing' and see the last paragraph for a discussion on sensor or lens/sensor combo being the cause. Link http://toothwalker.org/optics/chromatic.html

BTW, recent landscape images made with the vario elmar 21-35, that included snow and rock and hills outlined against mist/grey skies gave only minor colour fringing that cleared up OK in Aperture, the screenshot of woodland below doesn't clear up.

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Jon,

All of my posted images had the RAW files worked in LR CS5.3RC then transferred as TIFF files to PS6 and reduced in size and embedded with the copyright notice before they were reduced to JPEG files. Unfortunately, I did not save the original cropped TIFF file of the above 100% crop. I went back to the original TIFF file that I had created and made up another 100% cropped image in the same are of the image and I am presenting it below. Looking at the 200+ MB TIFF I think that the grain is a little tighter
...Show more

Colour fringing 21-35/3.5-4 and 1DS3 @ 300% screen shot

Dec 08, 2013 at 07:33 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.258 #5 · p.258 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thank you, Gregg and Samy.

The bistrot Vivienne, Paris, 50 cron

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.258 #6 · p.258 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^^NIce shot above, LTZ..
@Nico..I really like the wooden utensils shot, and the scarf shot! Great colors on the scarf and paper leaf birds, too!
Went and got our Xmas tree this morning, and took the Cron 50 with...
Gregg

Gio at the Tree farm @f2

Mason drinking apple cider @f2

@f2

Dec 08, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.258 #7 · p.258 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

And a few of the trees, themselves! All at either f2 or 2.8
Gregg

ok... I remember this at f4!

Dec 08, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.258 #8 · p.258 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

After I put my kids to bed(Wife's at work), I got artsy and took a couple staged shots with the R Cron 50.
Let me know what you think!
Gregg

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:40 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.258 #9 · p.258 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Some from today with the Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 on the A7.

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:48 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.258 #10 · p.258 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Here is A7R with 21-35 from Today. Still try to get a hand on Sony's Raw.
Light is harsh and un-interesting so This is I can come up with. More to come. I spend about two hour alone today trying to cure my curiosity about this body. Bring tons of lens and M9, but in the end only used 21-35 and 80-200 two lens. Maybe Next time

Edit: fix banding sky

Edited on Dec 10, 2013 at 04:57 AM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

paulhofseth

p.258 #11 · p.258 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon Tainton wrote:
............screenshot of a crop from the top of a woodland image @300% to exaggerate the 'colour fringing' of the vario elmar 21-35/3.5-4 at 21mm, the sky was overcast, this sort of heterogeneous 'colour fringing' is a PITA to deal with.
Below is the 100% crop taken near the leaves near the upper right third in the above image;

Quite extreme and a bit strange. Maybe the zoom has taken a serious knock or two? Same fringing all over the image or dominating on one side?

I use the R 21-35 on a Canon 5ii and cannot recall any such veritable fountain of coloured fringes.

p.

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.258 #12 · p.258 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

paulhofseth wrote:

Quite extreme and a bit strange. Maybe the zoom has taken a serious knock or two? Same fringing all over the image or dominating on one side?

I use the R 21-35 on a Canon 5ii and cannot recall any such veritable fountain of coloured fringes.

p.

This 'colour fringing' highlights itself when tree canopy leaves/twigs/branches are sky lined in a high contrast woodland setting, typically towards the edges/corners, worse at the 21mm end and it improves towards the 35mm end. Trust me, when I say that there are far, far worse offending lenses 'wides, telephotos both primes and zooms' that display miserable colour fringing in woodland settings. I'm more than aware of the issue since I live near some of the UK's remaining semi natural ancient woodland and 60+% of my images are taken in woodland.

As for a 'knock or two' I think not, as the 21-35 lens detail and performance, is more than acceptable in the wider open landscape i.e In the attached image of the Black Cuillin hills in classic Skye weather, the 'colour fringing' was minimal and cleaned up ok.

Edit - image attached and text added.

21-35/3.5-4 @ 21mm Black Cuillin hills, Skye

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    55mm    f/1.4    1/8s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:14 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.258 #13 · p.258 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Here is A7R with 21-35 from Today. Still try to get a hand on Sony's Raw.
Light is harsh and un-interesting so This is I can come up with. More to come. I spend about two hour alone today trying to cure my curiosity about this body. Bring tons of lens and M9, but in the end only used 21-35 and 80-200 two lens. Maybe Next time

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/11285542005_c35db1f965_h.jpg

Michael,

The color looks good.

Rich

Dec 09, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.258 #14 · p.258 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
Michael,

The color looks good.

Rich

Indeed, but to my eyes there's 'banding' issues in the sky, I can't say if its from clipping the blue channel or file conversion or something else.

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:39 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.258 #15 · p.258 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon Tainton wrote:
Indeed, but to my eyes there's 'banding' issues in the sky, I can't say if its from clipping the blue channel or file conversion or something else.

Too much digital ND push plus luminous push in Blue channel! the sky was very blank/pale with lots of UV pollution. I will take a look to it or edit it a little bit once back home. View it at 100% size seems also smoother.

This thing has amazing DR. I almost can't blow it out. The first time in field confirm this is one of best tool for Landscape and travel, especially for people hate tripod optimizing focus in VF and especially for tricky lens like 21-35mm and any WA lens to set DOF and use hyper focus. I took about 100 images yesterday, none of them tripoded. I am too used to freestyle. And once I see flare spot of 21-35, simple put a left hand cover the sun and shoot. another plus in field. The hood is useless anyway.

I think Charles.K mentioned under bright sun, he had difficult see through EVF, I have the same problem.

There were some beach action that I don't really know what i was captured: the blanking time and shutter delay is extremely annoy. I can't do follow up capture: the moment is gone forever. I for sure will miss the moment/shots rely on this. Use it with 35cron, my keeper rate is worse than D700. I feel I can see focus better/faster with my 'old' OVF with 35cron, both M 8 element and R.(sure compare 3 different system) I am sure small potion due to high pix, but more simply I just can't focus correctly in a timely manner with A7R, it slow down me a lot because of EVF delay if I want decent focus. the OVF feedback is extreme fast for me with my experience to track focus but this? I don't see it is possible, at least for now. anything moving, this is worse than Leica M to me, not to say DSLR. I can see I need AF lens for it.

Dec 09, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.258 #16 · p.258 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Too much digital ND push plus luminous push in Blue channel! the sky was very blank/pale with lots of UV pollution. I will take a look to it or edit it a little bit once back home. View it at 100% size seems also smoother.

This thing has amazing DR. I almost can't blow it out. The first time in field confirm this is one of best tool for Landscape and travel, especially for people hate tripod optimizing focus in VF and especially for tricky lens like 21-35mm and any WA lens to set DOF and use hyper focus.
...Show more

Thanks for the clarification on the Blue channel.

It'll be interesting to see images made with R's and A7's and read your thoughts and experiences, as well as other posters on the R thread in the coming weeks/months.

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:27 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.258 #17 · p.258 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:

This thing has amazing DR. I almost can't blow it out. The first time in field confirm this is one of best tool for Landscape and travel, especially for people hate tripod optimizing focus in VF and especially for tricky lens like 21-35mm and any WA lens to set DOF and use hyper focus.
...Show more

interesting, have you tried setting evf brightness to the max (instead of auto) and either turning turning "setting effects" off or tweaking the jpeg settings in various ways to make the evf easier to see in bright light? might help a little, but obviously won't be as bright as an ovf. also, shutter delay might sound worse than it is since it goes close>open>close>open instead of just open>close.

i'm curious to see how the 8 element 35 cron performs btw.

edit: one trick i do to get a brigher lcd/evf is to use my thumb on the EC dial to overexpose during focusing and then pull it back down to appropriate exposure as i hit the shutter (very difficult to do while tracking a running child ).

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.258 #18 · p.258 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

sebboh wrote:
interesting, have you tried setting evf brightness to the max (instead of auto) and either turning turning "setting effects" off or tweaking the jpeg settings in various ways to make the evf easier to see in bright light? might help a little, but obviously won't be as bright as an ovf. also, shutter delay might sound worse than it is since it goes close>open>close>open instead of just open>close.

i'm curious to see how the 8 element 35 cron performs btw.

edit: one trick i do to get a brigher lcd/evf is to use my thumb on the EC dial to overexpose
...Show more

I need some time to get used to EVF for sure, but since I get A7R last Friday, I have captured more image with my kids eyes closed than whole year I got from D700 no kidding.

I did use that EC trick, some time I have to do +3EV to be able to compose. I feel this has something to do with EVF/display limited DR compare to sensor capture. I will play setting more try to understand this. Yesterday, I don't have much time to fiddle around it in field.

for EVF under bright sun, this is two side effect, at low light, the view is great even with f4 lens. I also wish they can make EVF cover larger to shield away light from side under harsh sunlight.

As for 35cron M V1 test, will do give me some time. I did capture some photos of my kids in back yard, f2 sharpness looks at least as good as M9 within 2/3 frame if I can get them in focus. The camera sensor has really high caliber that is clear as water so that I can see older leica's inadequate coating more easily, in normal light.

Maybe add pics: all by A7R
80lux WO

50cron R WO

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:46 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.258 #19 · p.258 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
for EVF under bright sun, this is two side effect, at low light, the view is great even with f4 lens. I also wish they can make EVF cover larger to shield away light from side under harsh sunlight.

perhaps the reason i love evfs so much is that i mostly shoot in low light. i did get a rubber telescope eyecup that i put on top of the sony eyecup for birding with my NEX-7 and 5N, it pretty much completely isolates the viewfinder from ambient light (and makes it easier to rest against my face) and only cost a few bucks. i can post a pic of it when i get home if you'd like.

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:02 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.258 #20 · p.258 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

sebboh wrote:
i can post a pic of it when i get home if you'd like.

Please do! thanks.

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:04 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password