Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              252      
       254              324       325       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.253 #1 · p.253 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Hello to all... Absolutely love this thread!! Long time follower, but I've always been a Zeiss/Contax fan, and still am, but...
One of my customers, a fellow Fm'er and his wife are huge photographers, and between them both, have a plethora of camera/lenses, from Leica all the way to 4/3rds, and lots in between!! Well, after seeing images from this thread, and trying to limit my lenses(G.A.S. is a horrible thing!!! Especially on FM!!), I might not be able to do the prior(limit, that is)...so...
They have gone out of country for two weeks, and Diane was kind enough to let me borrow her collection of R lenses, whilst they are away!! They include: R 24 Elmarit E60, R 35 Summicron E55, R 50 Cron E55, and R 90 Elmarit E55.
I am in heaven, and I just only got my R to EOS adapter, today!!
Here are a few shots, albeit nothing like most examples from previous posters, from just around the house! I have two weeks to indulge, and then I might have to buy into the "R" phenomenon!!!
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

Playdo cupcake with 50 Cron WO

50 Cron around f8-11

90 Elmarit WO...this lens is SHARP!!!!

90 again WO

90 WO

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:17 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.253 #2 · p.253 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^nice r illustration!

But I have to say this is a bad timing for buying into R

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:24 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.253 #3 · p.253 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael...You're my inspiration for wanting to get into the R craze! I love looking at any of your photos, but your R ones are my favorite. The shot of your son on the playground with the 80 Lux, is stunning!!
Funny, how I see a lot of your photos are from here in Santa Cruz at Natural Bridges Park! I've done several shoots for pregnant/couples there over the years!!
And I know, now, especially with the A7/R craze, people will be trying to snatch up all the "R" lenses!!
Thank you for your kind words above.
Gregg

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:34 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.253 #4 · p.253 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg, nice to see you here. Great set, 1st one is my fav.

50 R cron :

Nov 30, 2013 at 05:02 PM
nicoimages
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.253 #5 · p.253 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Taken with the new Sony A7R and Leica Elmarit R 28mm f2.8 v2

All originals are on my flickrfeed - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nico1974
My portofolio site is on http://nicoimages.com

Edited on Dec 01, 2013 at 11:35 AM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.253 #6 · p.253 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg, nice to see you here. Great set, 1st one is my fav.
Thank you LTZ!! Thought you might like that one! Good to be here, if only temporarily! Your shots on the last few pages with the 50 Cron, are incredibly inspirational, too! So much so, that when I do buy into the "R" faction, the 50 Cron will be my first purchase!! My Zeiss 50 Planar is now on the 'Bay, to produce some funds for said purchase!!
Although, I have to admit, I'm kinda torn between a 50 Cron and 50 Lux? I hear the Cron is somewhat superior to the Lux when stopped down? But I do like 1.4 shots, too... But so far, the Cron has impressed me a lot! Very sharp WO..
Gregg

Nov 30, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.253 #7 · p.253 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks a lot Gregg for kind words.
Not sure the Cron is the sharpest 50 but I'm not crazy about sharpness and it is for sure one of the best lens I've used for color and rendering. If you like the special Leica rendering, I have no doubt you will love the 50 Cron.
I'm looking for a 50 Lux too but it's not easy to get a nice copy in the second hand market here.

Nov 30, 2013 at 05:56 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.253 #8 · p.253 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Nicholas (nicoimages),

Thanks for posting the images with the A7r and the R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2. What f stops were you using for these images?

I may well opt for the R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2 as my 28mm option for the A7r.

Rich

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:03 PM
nicoimages
• •
p.253 #9 · p.253 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
Nicholas (nicoimages),

Thanks for posting the images with the A7r and the R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2. What f stops were you using for these images?

I may well opt for the R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2 as my 28mm option for the A7r.

Rich

The first two images were taken at f5.6 the others at f4 and f2.8 - the Elmarit is an amazing lens just make sure that you buy the V2 this has the inbuilt lens hood that you can not detach. Best to do a google search if you find one to make sure that your serial is V2 just in case as V1 is nothing special.

I have Leitaxed mine to Nikon F mount and can also now use it on the Nikon D800E where it works equally well. I use a $15 ebay Nikon F to Sony adaptor and have been lucky that it appears to be in perfect alignment.

Focusing the lens with the Sony is so much better than using the Nikon D800E otherwise results are identical with a very slight edge to the Sony for sharpness and colour

Nov 30, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.253 #10 · p.253 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Really enjoying the R 50 Cron!! Some more from today...
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

Gotta love fall colors! WO

f2.8...

f2

Dec 01, 2013 at 04:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greggf
• • •
p.253 #11 · p.253 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

This one for you Lieutenant Z...
R 50 Cron wide open ISO 800 1D4
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:19 AM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.253 #12 · p.253 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Beautiful Gregg ! Thanks.

With the 50 R cron too :

Dec 01, 2013 at 04:40 PM
saph
• • • •
p.253 #13 · p.253 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gregg, that playdo cupcake looks quite edible. Beautiful bokeh and colors!! Wow, very nice set of lenses to try for a couple weeks!

Greggf wrote:
Hello to all... Absolutely love this thread!! Long time follower, but I've always been a Zeiss/Contax fan, and still am, but...
One of my customers, a fellow Fm'er and his wife are huge photographers, and between them both, have a plethora of camera/lenses, from Leica all the way to 4/3rds, and lots in between!! Well, after seeing images from this thread, and trying to limit my lenses(G.A.S. is a horrible thing!!! Especially on FM!!), I might not be able to do the prior(limit, that is)...so...
They have gone out of country for two weeks, and Diane was kind enough to let me
...Show more

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:27 PM
saph
• • • •
p.253 #14 · p.253 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

The greenery in the three images before the school bus are superb. Very nice set!

zhangyue wrote:
For Nikon User, I will recommend 14-24 16-35 over this. For the price and performance ratio. But for A7/R, I like this one for its very small size and real aperture .

It is a great lens after 28mm, and excellent lens after 24mm. at 21mm with 6D, I have to stop down to f11 and focus by corner to have cross frame sharpness. It has very strong FC, so I will not recommend it for M240 with its limited LV implementation.

Flare is so so, but the 14-24 Nikon I had also having flare problem which 21 Biogon ZM has
...Show more

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:29 PM
saph
• • • •
p.253 #15 · p.253 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Philippe, very nice image. That surface on the steps looks icy, is it only the reflection?

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Beautiful Gregg ! Thanks.

With the 50 R cron too :

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.253 #16 · p.253 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

I've avoided this thread till now ... only having one Leica R lens (90/2.8 Emarit) and a beer budget, I didn't want to sample too much champagne.

Quick question:
What digital cameras (any age/MP) have native mounts for using with R glass?

Edited on Dec 01, 2013 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2013 at 07:23 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.253 #17 · p.253 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

@Saph...thank you for the kind words! And, yes, I'm very, very, VERY lucky to be able to borrow said lenses! My problem, is, now I'm hooked! The clarity with which the leica lenses present images, blows me away!! I've shot most if the Zeiss lineup at one point or another, and while they themselves are incredible, the R lenses really do it for me. I haven't shot the M's, but I don't think I'll ever make it there!!
The "R" look has got me...now, unfortunately, as Michael above pointed out, is a really bad time to invest in "R" glass!!! I have the Sigma's 35 and 85 which I use for photo shoots, and won't be getting rid of, but those will be the only two I need for that.
Now it comes down to, do I want to try and find a 50Lux R, or should I try and buy this 50 Cron R I'm borrowing at the moment. Other lenses can wait, but I can't be without a 50, as I'm sure most of you understand! The set I'm borrowing at the moment are rarely used by the iwner(I think), so if I asked her, she might sell me the 50 Cron.
And to be honest, the 90 Cron Elmarit is incredible, too!! I think I could get away with that as a second purchase down the road! Or should I try for the 90 Cron R? I love input, so anyone and everyone, feel free to pipe in, please!!!
I will be probably posting a lot in the next couple weeks as I get my fill of these lenses, so in advance, I apologize for my exuberance!!!
Thanks everyone for listening....
Gregg

Dec 01, 2013 at 07:24 PM
waterden
• •
p.253 #18 · p.253 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

None. Only R-mount are film SLRs -the Leica R cameras.

RustyBug wrote:
Quick question:
What digital cameras (any age/MP) have native mounts for using with R glass?

Dec 01, 2013 at 07:41 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.253 #19 · p.253 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

saph wrote:
Philippe, very nice image. That surface on the steps looks icy, is it only the reflection?

Thanks Samy! Yes it is reflection, the shot was taken just after a rain.

Dec 01, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.253 #20 · p.253 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

A few with the 90 Elmarit R...
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

Giovanni wide open with barely any PP... And with a dirty face, to boot!!

Our Vizsla, Rajah...old girl, and she's only 9 1/2

Dec 01, 2013 at 08:15 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password