Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              251      
       253              303       304       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Lieutenant Z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.252 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Manu, nice colors.

Another one from the Trocadéro with 50 Summicron R :

Nov 25, 2013 at 06:20 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.252 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

xenon99 - very cool bird-portraits with the 19mm f2.8 Ver2! The sparkling highlights are one of a kind, never seen a rendering like this before.

Jack, I really like your style - great subjects and so well captured.

Philippe, love the light on the the golden statue.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM
ervantrelo

p.252 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Leica Summicron R 90/2, Pre-Apo

© X. Q. Pan 2013

Nikon D600 and Leica 90/2 R

Nov 26, 2013 at 03:02 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.252 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Manu, superb color, how you like the 35 cron?
Jack, Nice set after another as always.
LZ, love those eiffel tower Bokeh.

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:46 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.252 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

joakim wrote:
Does anyone in this thread has any experience with the Leica Vario-Elmar-R 21-35/3,5-4 ASPH? I'm primarily interested in it for landscape so the fact that it is a little slow doesn't bother me.

For Nikon User, I will recommend 14-24 16-35 over this. For the price and performance ratio. But for A7/R, I like this one for its very small size and real aperture .

It is a great lens after 28mm, and excellent lens after 24mm. at 21mm with 6D, I have to stop down to f11 and focus by corner to have cross frame sharpness. It has very strong FC, so I will not recommend it for M240 with its limited LV implementation.

Flare is so so, but the 14-24 Nikon I had also having flare problem which 21 Biogon ZM has non.
I found for zoom like this, I used 21mm more than 50%, it is a pity it doesn't have great performance at its 28~35mm setting.

Some samples from it with 6D, most at 21mm end. Only really used it twice so far. I put high hope using this on A7R. The lens is useless if not use EVF or LV for its slow speed.

Larger size this time, hopefully, don't get complain.

BTW, I never consider myself critical enough to give thorough evaluation about lens performance. After certain threshold, I no longer care much about sharpness, sharper? of course better and more exciting. This lens seems meet my requirement I wish it offer more coverage. consider all Canikony will have something like 14-24, 16-35 range are more useful.

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:47 AM
joakim
• • •
p.252 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Paul, thanks for the info
Michael, thanks for the info and great photos as well. Great colors

I am considering this lens for the Sony A7r only, maybe for Leica M in the future but then with a better LV implementation.

Nov 26, 2013 at 08:54 AM
shute

p.252 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue, has your A7r arrived? have you tested with your 21-35, keen to know…

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM
algrove

p.252 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

shute wrote:

Me too. I did happen to see one somewhere and it looked OK and did not vignette from my memory.

Nov 26, 2013 at 02:36 PM
JonPB
• •
p.252 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

joakim wrote:
Does anyone in this thread has any experience with the Leica Vario-Elmar-R 21-35/3,5-4 ASPH? I'm primarily interested in it for landscape so the fact that it is a little slow doesn't bother me.

For me, the 21-35 is a perfect walkaround lens. It has very good first-impression rendering at all settings. With in focus subjects, I prefer it to my Elmarit 35 (latest model), which is sharper on center but that's rarely where my main subjects are placed. For the bulk of the image, the 21-35 is superior. On an APS-C sensor, there are few technical qualities to criticize; that's about the image circle of excellence with this lens at every setting.

That said, at the wide end the lens has quite strong aberrations in the corners. The focal plane pushes out and tangential sharpness just doesn't exist.

I don't mind that because few of my images (perhaps none) require corner-to-corner detail at infinity. The overall rendering--as you can see in Zhangyue's work--does the scene justice.

If you think of the 21-35 as an Elmar 31/3.9 that can also take acceptable pictures at 21mm, you will be happy. Wide open at 31mm and focus at 2m is where I reset my lens after taking a picture. If you're looking for an Elmar 21/3.5, like the Super Elmar M 21/3.4, that can zoom tighter, then you'll be disappointed. The Elmarit 19 would be your pick of the litter at that point.

Nov 26, 2013 at 06:38 PM
ervantrelo

p.252 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Summicron 90/2 Pre-Apo

© X. Q. Pan 2013

Nikon D600 and Leica 90/2 R

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.252 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB, I full agree with you about 21-35, I feel it is even lighter than my 35cron R. The size and overall performance place it top for my travel and occasional Landscape need.

shute wrote:

On the way. I am not sure I have time to test it with 21-35,(that is tripod + LV + optimizing focus deal) but I am pretty sure I will take a quick look with 35 and 50 R and M lens I have on hand. if you can bare with my slowness, I might be able to share some of my finding of 21--35 later
to the contrary that most on going discuss in varies thread here now, I am not so worried about how lens perform on this new platform, as I never really pix PPed my image. It will save tons of weight and size for me to bring it with me during travel and having best of 35mm sensor IQ itself is enough to justify its value in my bag.

In the mean time, a shot from 80lux WO. I love its peaceful rendering. This is the lens remind me 58mm 1.4G images. If that one is metal build with awesome focus mechanics for MF, I will fell in love. But I am not so sure it is a good choice for every one pick a 58mm as portrait only lens as this 80mm does.

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:27 AM
waterden
• •
p.252 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

I have been very tempted by the R 21-35 but some think it rather soft at the wider focal lengths. Interested to hear other opinions.
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/leica2135test.html

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:13 AM
shute

p.252 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
JonPB, I full agree with you about 21-35, I feel it is even lighter than my 35cron R. The size and overall performance place it top for my travel and occasional Landscape need.

On the way. I am not sure I have time to test it with 21-35,(that is tripod + LV + optimizing focus deal) but I am pretty sure I will take a quick look with 35 and 50 R and M lens I have on hand. if you can bare with my slowness, I might be able to share some of my finding of 21--35 later
...Show more

take your time Zhangyue. I cancelled my preorder of a7 one day before it arrives. Sad but I'd better be cautious - whatever I choose now is going to be my main body instead of an alternative or backup.

Nice shot! My son love the same digging play.

Nov 27, 2013 at 02:17 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.252 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

waterden wrote:
I have been very tempted by the R 21-35 but some think it rather soft at the wider focal lengths. Interested to hear other opinions.
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/leica2135test.html

The problem for that review is I am not sure the corner evaluation is optimized by LV focus which take care of FC. That makes a huge difference in real world landscape usage.

Nov 27, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.252 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael, I like the rendering, great use of the 80 lux.

Nov 27, 2013 at 07:53 PM
rdst
• •
p.252 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

D800 & Summicron 2/90mm

Rolf

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:06 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.252 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Wow! LZ, you keep surprising me, what a great one.

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Ronny _Olsson
• • •
p.252 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Wow! Great shot's Z and Michael

Nov 27, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Picture This!
• • •
p.252 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael, beautiful pic of your son
Philippe, love the statue with the Eiffel bokeh. Splendid shot.
Jack, beautiful pics on the last page. Top class processing as well.
rdst, great bokeh and colors.

Edited on Nov 28, 2013 at 03:20 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2013 at 02:18 AM
saph
• • • •
p.252 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Beautiful pictures with these lenses!

Here's a couple with the Summicron R 90 f2.

Leaves and Colors

LeavesAndColors by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Ripples created by geese landings and flappings

GooseRipples by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Nov 28, 2013 at 02:45 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password