FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              249      
       251              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Jon Tainton
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.250 #1 · p.250 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

The winds dropped and the rain relented briefly, surprisingly the sun came out too, which might qualify as a notable weather event for December in Britain, as it happened on TWO days So some images were made with the 100 AME

100/2.8 AME

100/2.8 AME

100/2.8 AME

100/2.8 AME

100/2.8 AME

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.250 #2 · p.250 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
^^^ Gorgeous sky Gregg!

http://www.kozera.ca/photos/images/_DSC0373_640.jpg

Jako, how do you like the balance between your Leica R lenses and the A7r? Thanks,

Edited on Dec 20, 2013 at 08:27 AM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.250 #3 · p.250 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Hi everyone! I was pointed here from the official Sony a7(r) thread because I had some questions regarding the latest 50mm Summicron-R.

from my post https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247655/138#12013548 which pointed me over here.

Please excuse me for being a noob here:

Besides the obvious mount and size (and possible weight) difference between the M and R mount Leica lenses. Are there any significant differences between either M or R lenses that might warrant or sway a purchase towards one over the other?

I have a local person on craigslist who is selling the latest 50mm cron R for ~$750 in nearly pristine condition. Price seems low....compared to a 50 cron M. Should I jump on it post haste? Like I mentioned, I don't know squat about Leica glass and I'm learning bit by bit as
...Show more

As you see, I don't have any experience with Leica glass except for the sticker shock upon perusing at the big online camera stores.

Now, from that same thread, I was quoted that:
Erwin Puts (Leica expert) is of the opinion that the latest version of the 50mm Summicron-R is as follows:

'The current Summicron-R is almost identical in optical construction
with its counterpart in the M-system. It is one of the
two or three best standard lenses in the world.'

This sounds like great news because I now have the potential to capture that Leica look without breaking the bank on the latest Cron-M. However, the individual I'm in communications with also has, what he says, is the 1st version 50mm Cron-R in impeccably clean condition. It's cheaper because it's older I'm assuming, but also because the way it was described to me would be like comparing the Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar vs Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar. One's sharp and "real" while the other is more dreamy/classic.

The first version 50 cron-R is smaller than the latest version, which helps because I'm looking to keep weight and profile to a minimum on my adapted a7. Of the two 50 cron-R's, what's the consensus on both?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm getting that excited tingly sensation just thinking about this...and no, it's not from the medication kicking in.

Dec 20, 2013 at 01:04 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.250 #4 · p.250 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

I can quick answer you from my memory: First version is heavier, better build and seems more contrast/sharper in the center WO, but worse cross frame. If only choose one, I'd pick latest version, which doesn't have any flaw. I didn't see much sample from first, but I feel it will have more pop based on some 35cron R V1 I have seen from Alex.

Some more photo with 21-35

in color

80-200 ISO2500 WO at f4

Dec 20, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.250 #5 · p.250 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Hi everyone! I was pointed here from the official Sony a7(r) thread because I had some questions regarding the latest 50mm Summicron-R.

Like I mentioned, I don't know squat about Leica glass and I'm learning bit by bit as I read more about the a7s (lol). If price and availability are the only difference between the M and the R glass, then maybe I should be looking at the R's instead.

I've no experience with the lens, but here's a link to the old Erwin Puts 2005 lens compendium, which covers a fair bit of leica territory. http://www.furnfeather.net/books/pdf/llcforweb.pdf

There's also tech data sheets etc on the Leica website to download http://us.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/lenses_for_single_lens_reflex_cameras/index.html

hth

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:27 AM

p.250 #6 · p.250 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

50E60

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:10 AM

p.250 #7 · p.250 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

R50 2.0 E55

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:23 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.250 #8 · p.250 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Besides the obvious mount and size (and possible weight) difference between the M and R mount Leica lenses. Are there any significant differences between either M or R lenses that might warrant or sway a purchase towards one over the other?
I'm getting that excited tingly sensation just thinking about this...and no, it's not from the medication kicking in.

I don't know whether to clap you on the shoulder and buy you a beer to welcome you to the club, or to try to scare you away and see if I can't keep it from becoming an addiction.

First off, money. Yes, the R version is considerably cheaper than the nearly identical M version. But a perfectly good Super Takumar 50/1.4 is even cheaper still and arguably provides a more harmonious, more classical rendering with nearly as good handling. So, before you spend hundreds of dollars on a moderately fast normal prime, take many close looks at the sample images here and elsewhere to be sure that this lens is worth it to you. If you decide yes, then shop around. I recommend KEH.com--I'm only affiliated as a customer--as they have a large stock and frequently adjust their prices, both up and down. Be aware that luxury enthusiasts and collectors also buy Leica lenses, meaning that their going rates are not a good measure of worth as a photographic tool in a competitive market. Of course, only you can decide what a good value is.

Learn about the differences between 1 cam, 2 cam, 3 cam, and ROM lenses. They won't affect how they work on an A7, so the only benefit of buying a ROM lens over a 3 cam lens would be newer manufacture and possibly improved coatings, but the ROM prices can be double what an otherwise identical 3 cam goes for.

Secondly, variants of the lenses. I don't know about the earlier Summicron R except that Mr. Puts indicates that it was superior to its M equivalent at the time, though superior in what way is not clear. The later 'cron design is used, perhaps with slight changes, in the Summicron M and Summarit M 50's. In that way, they're all at the top of their class--but that class is no longer the best of the normal lenses, rather of the class of normal lenses designed for film. Digital sensors are more demanding, which is why the 'cron M 50 APO and the Otus are on the market. Both of these are clearly superior to their film-era predecessors.

The second Summicron R has a body that works as a hood, even when the hood is not extended, whereas the M is as small as they could make it.

The earlier R lenses use series filters, which are less common than the later "E" styles.

All that said, the Macro Elmarit R 60, which costs about the same, appears to my eye to be superior to the Summicron 50 when shot at f/5.6 and slower. If that's your style, or if your idea is to maximize output from your new Sony, then the macro might be worth a close look as well.

Last, that Leica look. If you get a second generation 'cron R, you'll find that it exhibits the "glow" with subjects that are just in front of the focal plane when shot wide open. Otherwise...well, take lots of pictures, practice at what you struggle with, enjoy the attempt as much as the success, and, from time to time, share a few images with others.

Cheers,
Jon

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM
leo11877
• • •
p.250 #9 · p.250 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

I dont know if this is the right forum to ask or not, but is the Leica Summicron R (Leitz) 50 mm lens which sells for $400-$500 good as a portrait lens? I know it's the cheapest Leica and don't think it can compare with the higher end ones but what about Zeiss Planar etc. Does it make sense to buy this vs Zeiss? I am planning to use it on my Fuji XE1.

Dec 20, 2013 at 01:40 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.250 #10 · p.250 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

leo11877 wrote:
I dont know if this is the right forum to ask or not, but is the Leica Summicron R (Leitz) 50 mm lens which sells for $400-$500 good as a portrait lens? I know it's the cheapest Leica and don't think it can compare with the higher end ones but what about Zeiss Planar etc. Does it make sense to buy this vs Zeiss? I am planning to use it on my Fuji XE1.

As my significant other has repeatedly reminded me, no, it does not make sense. Pretty much any 50mm lens made by a major company in the last 50 years will make for nice portraits on an XE1. As a default, I'd recommend a Super Takumar 50/1.4, which go for $60-80. They feel about as good in use as any other manual lens. They also make very good images. If you prefer shooting at f/2, the 55mm Takumar is just as good, with a slightly different character, and costs $20-30. With those options, no, it makes no sense to pay $400 unless you can point to the advantages of the more expensive lens.

With these posts about the 'cron 50, I'll be taking it out with me to a holiday party tonight. Maybe there'll be some shots to share once I get the images back that'll show why I think this lens is special. But just because I like it and think it worth it does not mean I can recommend it to others.

Dec 20, 2013 at 02:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lieutenant Z
• • • •
p.250 #11 · p.250 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

180/3.4 Apo telyt :

Dec 20, 2013 at 03:11 PM
leo11877
• • •
p.250 #12 · p.250 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
As my significant other has repeatedly reminded me, no, it does not make sense. Pretty much any 50mm lens made by a major company in the last 50 years will make for nice portraits on an XE1. As a default, I'd recommend a Super Takumar 50/1.4, which go for $60-80. They feel about as good in use as any other manual lens. They also make very good images. If you prefer shooting at f/2, the 55mm Takumar is just as good, with a slightly different character, and costs $20-30. With those options, no, it makes no sense to pay $400
...Show more

Thanks, Will be exciting to see the output. Do you use it on the XE too? Color and Micro-contrast (like the Zeiss gives) are my wants when choosing a manual lens (and not sharpness alone).

Dec 20, 2013 at 03:45 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.250 #13 · p.250 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Alpha_Geist wrote:
The first version 50 cron-R is smaller than the latest version, which helps because I'm looking to keep weight and profile to a minimum on my adapted a7.

The older version will give you a smaller profile but not a lower weight. 290g for the second version, 330g for the first version.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:08 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.250 #14 · p.250 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

leo11877 wrote:
Thanks, Will be exciting to see the output. Do you use it on the XE too? Color and Micro-contrast (like the Zeiss gives) are my wants when choosing a manual lens (and not sharpness alone).

Hm. If you know you like Zeiss, then don't hesitate--get a Zeiss. I've never put my fingers on it, but where Zeiss (and more recent Leica) lenses have that microcontrast bite, Mandler era Leica lenses are a bit more gentle or approachable, which is what I like.

I don't shoot Fuji but Leica--and film, so it'll be a while before I get any samples up. That said, I'm mostly killing time today, so I took a video of my favorite lens testing method: watching the focus transition on live view. Now, the video isn't at high magnification, but it might be interesting to some. On SkyDrive, here: http://sdrv.ms/1ds4zYC

Also, take a look at JaKo's last shot in this post: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/895186/256#11985957 In the crop you can see the glow and how it has a bit of light haze that attracts the eye yet doesn't affect how the detailed resolution reads.

Cheers,
Jon

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:29 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.250 #15 · p.250 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote: Mandler era Leica lenses are a bit more gentle or approachable, which is what I like.

^^^ +1

WO:

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.250 #16 · p.250 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
I can quick answer you from my memory: First version is heavier, better build and seems more contrast/sharper in the center WO, but worse cross frame. If only choose one, I'd pick latest version, which doesn't have any flaw. I didn't see much sample from first, but I feel it will have more pop based on some 35cron R V1 I have seen from Alex.

Some more photo with 21-35

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3831/11461291953_208c7af47b_b.jpg

in color
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/11461286753_638ca36e61_b.jpg

80-200 ISO2500 WO at f4
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2875/11461213596_b97382e090_b.jpg

Thank you for the info and amazing photos! Sorry for replying so late, as my work schedule is that I'm at work when people are normally asleep, and vice versa. So I didn't forget you and the other people who chimed in to help me out.

From your post and others, I I'm leaning towards the latest version of the cron.

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:34 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.250 #17 · p.250 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jon Tainton wrote:
I've no experience with the lens, but here's a link to the old Erwin Puts 2005 lens compendium, which covers a fair bit of leica territory. http://www.furnfeather.net/books/pdf/llcforweb.pdf

There's also tech data sheets etc on the Leica website to download http://us.leica-camera.com/service/downloads/lenses_for_single_lens_reflex_cameras/index.html

hth

Thank you very much for the links! I'll check them out while I'm in the office. Most people have already left for the holidays and it's empty here. So I'll be able to read these uninterrupted. Yes!!!

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.250 #18 · p.250 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

JonPB wrote:
I don't know whether to clap you on the shoulder and buy you a beer to welcome you to the club, or to try to scare you away and see if I can't keep it from becoming an addiction.

First off, money. Yes, the R version is considerably cheaper than the nearly identical M version. But a perfectly good Super Takumar 50/1.4 is even cheaper still and arguably provides a more harmonious, more classical rendering with nearly as good handling. So, before you spend hundreds of dollars on a moderately fast normal prime, take many close looks at the sample
...Show more

First off I'd like to thank you whole heartedly for such thorough information as well as alternatives! I have some homework to do, especially with cam 1, 2, 3 and ROM lenses (never heard of these before) and the Macro Elmarit R 60.

For the Takumar 50/1.4, is that a M39 screw mount lens. I did a quick google image search (not in anyway scientific) and noticed the name Pentax thrown around a bit. Pentax mount?

As you can see, this is my first foray in to using lenses that don't natively mount onto canikon dslrs, and I'm seriously thinking of selling a majority of my canikon gear to fund some more alternative gear lenses and possibly a body or two. So I'll share that beer with ya!

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.250 #19 · p.250 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

telyt wrote:
The older version will give you a smaller profile but not a lower weight. 290g for the second version, 330g for the first version.

The good news is that both versions of the cron are still lighter than my 50/1.4 Planar ZE.

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:56 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.250 #20 · p.250 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

ocean2059 wrote:
Jako, how do you like the balance between your Leica R lenses and the A7r? Thanks,

I find it quite right. Even with F to E adapter (my R glass is Leitax-ed) smaller lenses like R28, 35 and 50 feel well balanced. I use Metabones, which is handy due to its tripod mount and Fotodiox adapters and the setup doesn't feel off. Mounting heavier lenses like Summilux-R 80 or Zeiss glass is a different story. The camera/lens balance is obviously shifted towards the lens; however, I simply support the setup by holding the lens, which works quite well. For tripod shooting it makes no difference and I expect once RRS bracket arrives it may all feel just like DSLR.
I also use these lenses on Nikon FE2 SLR which is close to A7R size-wise so not much adjustment was needed.

Oh, once or twice I tried Sony NEX7 and 5 and they waaay too small for me.

@f/2.8

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.