FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              242      
       244              357       358       end

Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.243 #1 · p.243 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

LZ, Sony A7 is not suit for you for street if you still want fully control what you want do. But I agree with carsten it is a good deal for 2nd(landscape) body.

shute, I feel this might be one of best body used for 21-35mm since you have it already. keep in mind, high pix sensor will only benefit any lens. there is not the case that 12M will make certain lens shine but not 36M. I am not pix PPer, I can safely tell you now that 21-35 will be great on A7 and A7R. As for 80, for nail focus, it is good. but I am not sure I can get some shots (which are important to me) as I wanted with it because of blank out and delay. Balance will be awkward for walk around setup as well.

Rich, I didn't compare it to Leica but Canikon in term of build. As I recommended earlier, For R lens, I'd pick Nikon and Canon body over this A7. Canon's LV especially good with EFC, I miss my 6D on this. but we all but Canon know their sensor sucks for certain thing require DR And we all know for M lens, it is not good platform as well. But I can't deny its significance for Landscape shooter and people want their native lens.

Since tool is personal, requirement is also very personal. try it!

80lux WO

Dec 06, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.243 #2 · p.243 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael, great impressions. My A7 arrives today.

Re the adapter, if the metabones is heavier than novoflex, I'm going to stick with the novo nikon G -> e adapter since it seems light enough and very well made. Only issue is high price but in the grand scheme of things (thousands on body + lenses), guess I shouldn't complain

Look forward to your pics with the A7 Michael.

zhangyue wrote:
Jack, Rich, great images from A7r. Especially feel happy for Rich since you finally find your Leica R glass a new home, hope this new mother treat them well

Got the A7R tonight. with adapter, it is not balance well on most R lens
The best one so far, I'd say 21-35mm and 50cron. But even 50cron, I prefer it is on SLR. it looks abnormal large. 21-35 feel very good compare all the zoom I have seen on any body.
But focus with fast glass is a joy with EVF if you don't care delay and black out
...Show more

Dec 06, 2013 at 05:53 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.243 #3 · p.243 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
please repost I want to see these. Your links aren't valid. maybe another host like flickr?

Thanks for letting me know it didn't work. That's what I get for trying to simplify things.

Last Night of Hanukkah, 2013 by [email protected], on Flickr

Lit/Unlit by [email protected], on Flickr

Dec 06, 2013 at 06:12 PM
saph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.243 #4 · p.243 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Philippe, nice color on the person against the gray architecture backdrop! As usual correct moment brought together with the other elements in the image.

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Cathedral of Reims with 180/3.4 Apo Telyt :

Dec 06, 2013 at 10:42 PM
saph
• • • •
p.243 #5 · p.243 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael, your input has on the Leica lenses with the new Sony camera has been very incisive and interesting. Thanks.

Dec 06, 2013 at 10:44 PM
saph
• • • •
p.243 #6 · p.243 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

A cold gray rainy day in Maryland. All taken with the 180 3.4 Apo Telyt R, wide open.

GravestoneFlowers by maryland_photos, on Flickr

FlowersFlagsAndSports by maryland_photos, on Flickr

GravestonesFlowers by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Dec 06, 2013 at 10:46 PM
saph
• • • •
p.243 #7 · p.243 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

One more image from the cemetery on the rainy afternoon, also with the 180 3.4 Apo Telyt R.

GravestonesFlowers2 by maryland_photos, on Flickr

Dec 06, 2013 at 11:06 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.243 #8 · p.243 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thank you Michael.

I sense your slight disappointment with Sony A7 camera, but at this point in time it may be too early to rush into conclusions. See, I have the camera for close to a week and the first day I almost had with it. File transfer issue convoluted camera menu and not enough clear info in badly written manual, general feel and balance with currently own lenses, etc. However, that was on the first day and by know I can easily point out that we had our current cameras for years and were able to use each feature, buttons, fell layout without paying attention to it. We simply got a feel for it over the years or even months. Now the new kid on the block forces us to change all that. I am sure most of us go through similar re-adjustment each time we get new cell phone, car or whatever.

Back to A7/R specifics; no, it's not built like pro DSLRs, but it's very well built, just in a small package. There are size, layout, buttons placement, shutter sound, and other dissatisfactions but no camera ever was claimed perfect. I say, give it a week or two, get a feel for it till you start using (customized to your liking) all needed/programmed functions, compare output quality with your current cameras, colour, noise (if any) and see what you think after a while.

Personally, 80% I do shoot, just like Rich, on tripod. I find A7R EVF much easier to use that LV. On DSLR I used to compose in OVF and if needed, used magnified focus in LV. Not with A7R! I simply compose in EVF, scroll focus point then zoom and presto! Much faster and I don't have to pull my reading glasses to focus in LV. Total game changes, particularly with fast lenses.

Lastly, balance and feel with adapted R lenses. Well, everyone wanted a small FF mirrorless camera. Now what; tool small? We knew it will happen. Not everyone planned to use tinny RF glass, so some lenses will initially feel oddly balanced. I guess not many NEX users will complain about it; mostly DSLR shooters. Look at the bright side; we can finally use Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 with no modifications and no mirror clearance issues. Heck, there are plenty Nikkor pre-AI, Schneider Kreuznach and other exotic lenses that can be easily used now on FF. Days of mirrors shaving, lenses modification and other 'surgeries' are gone.

Pardon my rant; I hope in no time we will get accustomed to and start loving this long awaited marvel and hopefully Sony already started working on firmware edits based on users input.

@f/2.8

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:40 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.243 #9 · p.243 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

I can balance a camera and a lens, I can't manual focus using an optical finder on a dslr.

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:56 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.243 #10 · p.243 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
I can balance a camera and a lens, I can't manual focus using an optical finder on a dslr.

I like to think I'm pretty good at manual focusing on dslrs, but I'd be hard pressed to think of a situation where I don't prefer manual focusing with an evf to the best dslr ovf (there are a few I can think of where a rangefinder is better for me but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages there too).

michael - how does your R lux balance on the a7r compared to the rokkor?

Dec 07, 2013 at 04:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.243 #11 · p.243 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

I perfect understand your feeling about A7, Jack! As I perfectly know the tool is very personal, you have to use it to understand if it meet your requirement.

As for MF, I must say I have very good feeling/skill about MF now, with OVF, and I almost push the shutter by feeling that viewing it from blur to clear to get the shot. For 1/10's sec, I can capture two or three frame to continue focus and capture. This is very important if I want secure a moment seeing in View finder. This has been a natural habit with experience, it is especially great for close range focus.

As for EVF, It is definitely usable, easier to focus (less stress on my eyes), the peaking is very helpful for WO shot. (so is Nikon's green dot.) And A7's EVF is great but not there yet for my need. The delay and VF black is very annoy to me.

I choose A7R as my landscape and travel camera, so I am happy with the choice. It meet my specific requirement on this. But really, for me, still nothing beat the experience of OVF and RF window for the joy of process. Nail focus is different story, it makes my life easier,(but I will not say hit rate is higher than OVF to me) but also take away some fun part in the process. Hope this make sense to some people. The easiest path usually not the most enjoyable path.

Derek, I havn't try to put Rokkor on it yet, My canon adapter is on the way. as for Balance, here is quick shot to show: A7R with 35lux, D700 with 80lux. I hope pic can help others understand my comment about ergonomics of A7 handle heavy lens.

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:11 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.243 #12 · p.243 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
I perfect understand your feeling about A7, Jack! As I perfectly know the tool is very personal, you have to use it to understand if it meet your requirement.

As for MF, I must say I have very good feeling/skill about MF now, with OVF, and I almost push the shutter by feeling that viewing it from blur to clear to get the shot. For 1/10's sec, I can capture two or three frame to continue focus and capture. This is very important if I want secure a moment seeing in View finder. This has been a natural habit with
...Show more

thanks! i was actually wondering about your e48 50 lux if you get a chance. i just asked about the rokkor as a point of reference (i know on a NEX-7 i find the rokkor to balance well enough while my c/y 35/1.4 seems excessively front heavy even to me).

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.243 #13 · p.243 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Still waiting for Roger to get an A7(R) in to rent to people! Can't afford one at the moment, as I foresee a large influx of at least a few R lenses!! Possibly a 35Cron, definitely a 90 Elmarit, and trying to decide between the 50 Cron or Lux!! I really enjoy using the 50Cron! It's rendering is totally new to me, when looking at all the previous 50's I've used...I'm hooked! But, If the Cron is THAT good, the Lux will be the Cron and have 1.4? Right?? Which to get?? AND, as Michael recently pointed out to me, was R lenses are creeping up in price!!
Here are a few recents...
Thanks for looking,
Gregg

Gio, who is only 2, lines all his cars up(they were big brothers!)!! 50Cron @f2

90 Elmarit @2.8

90 Elmarit @f2

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:38 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.243 #14 · p.243 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

A couple more...
Gregg

Gio on the iPad...I swear they(iPad's) were made for kids!!90 Elmarit @2.8 Oh, this pic is almost completely untouched...only a little shadow and exposure boost

35Cron @f2

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:42 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.243 #15 · p.243 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

sebboh wrote:
thanks! i was actually wondering about your e48 50 lux if you get a chance. i just asked about the rokkor as a point of reference (i know on a NEX-7 i find the rokkor to balance well enough while my c/y 35/1.4 seems excessively front heavy even to me).

E48 feels OK to good, but feel excellent/great on D700 and 6D. the same as 35cron or 50cron. I almost sure I will get DF in the future if Nikon doesn't have anything better. (I am disappointed with DF' build, but still it is the best one current from Nikon suit me )

The best balance with A7 comes from RF lens. WO with A7R with 50lux M looks great to me. It seems perfect usable. and I use it that way 80%. as for after f5.6: TBD

The mirror less have not reach the state of replace DSLR, yet. to me, now it is in fever state, once settle down, some people might go back to DSLR. It is might be the future, but too early to tell now. The situation people fever mirroless is partially benefit from 'stupid' of Canikon, compare old SLR with Leica M6, there is not much size difference, look D700/D800/5DIII compare to M, it is ridiculous big. DF is good step, but with so many caveats. I wish Canikon can sense the market requirement is not remove the mirror but remover the fat of big body.

Greg: beautiful portrait from 35cron. That is Leica's specialty

Dec 07, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Almass
• • •
p.243 #16 · p.243 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Greggf wrote:
But, If the Cron is THAT good, the Lux will be the Cron and have 1.4? Right?? Which to get??
Gregg

Errr. No. The Cron 50 has no relation to the Lux 50/E60 from near or far. They simply share the same focal lens......and that's it.

I think there are many examples on the web comparing the two. Alex can also provide a good advice as he nurtures both.

Now if you are considering the Cron 50 v the Lux E48, I would go for the Cron 50.

In case you are to get a 7R, the lens of choice would be a 28/2.8 V2.

The A7R is simply not ergonomically practical with any heavy lens unless it is a big lens in which case you simply hold the lens with the 7R bussing at the back.

zhangyue is making a perfect case of not getting the A7R and is nicely putting the last nails in the A7R.

DXO test shows the A7R still behind the D800E.

However, for the occasional shooter of F&F...etc. It is a better buy than an MP.

I am/was interested in the A7R, my issues are:
- DR
- Low light
- Ergonomics
- EVF

And whilst and appreciate some people prefer small light bodies, other people prefer larger ones...

Dec 07, 2013 at 07:22 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.243 #17 · p.243 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
The mirror less have not reach the state of replace DSLR, yet. to me, now it is in fever state, once settle down, some people might go back to DSLR. It is might be the future, but too early to tell now. The situation people fever mirroless is partially benefit from 'stupid' of Canikon, compare old SLR with Leica M6, there is not much size difference, look D700/D800/5DIII compare to M, it is ridiculous big. DF is good step, but with so many caveats. I wish Canikon can sense the market requirement is not remove the mirror but remover the
...Show more

i agree that for many cutting the fat off the dslrs would be better than removing the mirrors, but i'm afraid for me AF would still cripple such cameras from canikon. i also doubt they could produce such a camera with decent build without an extreme price (and the giant lenses would still remain).

that's good to hear about the 50 lux asph, for shooting people i doubt any other 50mm will be able to touch that on the a7r. for some other subjects it looks a bit disappointing.

and an old picture:

the 350mm, but it wasn't mounted on the camera. my wife was just holding it to her eye when i took the photo.

Dec 07, 2013 at 07:54 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.243 #18 · p.243 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Jack, Rich, great images from A7r. Especially feel happy for Rich since you finally find your Leica R glass a new home, hope this new mother treat them well

Got the A7R tonight. with adapter, it is not balance well on most R lens
The best one so far, I'd say 21-35mm and 50cron. But even 50cron, I prefer it is on SLR. it looks abnormal large. 21-35 feel very good compare all the zoom I have seen on any body.
But focus with fast glass is a joy with EVF if you don't care delay and black out
...Show more

I'm very interested to see what you think of the 21-35 on the A7r. In combo with the 35-70/4 and a short tele it makes for a small walk around bag, but the 21-35 was not a standout on FF Canon when I used it.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:20 AM
shute

p.243 #19 · p.243 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Why do I feel I'm watching a colour photo on the second one?
Greggf wrote:
A couple more...
Gregg

Dec 07, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Bill Hollinger
• • •
p.243 #20 · p.243 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:04 PM
1       2       3              242      
       244              357       358       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell