Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              228      
       230              325       326       end

Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.229 #1 · p.229 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Crow or Raven? Raven or Crow?? this gives my headache

In Chinese tradition, it is a sign of unlucky and symbol of death. But aren't these bird smart and brave? some Google search bring me some amazing video about this creature.

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:47 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.229 #2 · p.229 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Crow or Raven? Raven or Crow?? this gives my headache

In Chinese tradition, it is a sign of unlucky and symbol of death. But aren't these bird smart and brave? some Google search bring me some amazing video about this creature.

yes, corvids (the family of birds ravens and crows fall into) are extremely intelligent and many appear to do things previously thought impossible for animals such as use tools, plan for the future, hold grudges, and learn grammars. some neuroscientists think they (along with certain types of parrots) rank up with primates and dolphins on the animal intelligence scale.

most ancient cultures regarded both ravens and crows (whichever lived by them) as unlucky and symbolic of death. the reason for this is most likely because the birds quickly learned that battles meant lots of fresh carrion and would follow armies around waiting for the banquet. people tend not to have warm feelings for animals that follow them around waiting for them to die a violent death so they can feast on their entrails. there's also considerable evidence that ravens will actually lead coyotes and wolves to carcasses that their beaks are not strong enough to puncture the hide of themselves.

regarding the difference between them, ravens are nearly twice as large as crows (the size of a falcon or small hawk) and tend to live in small nuclear families away from people while crows tend to form bigger gangs and are more likely to live in cities. both are quite common in the bay area.

/tangent

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:12 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.229 #3 · p.229 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

The collective noun for crows is 'murder'. It's spooky when you see 20 or 30 at a time, especially when they are watching you.

I'd love to have one as a pet as they are amazing animals, however I don't think I could ever sleep around one having seen them eat the eyes out of new born lambs. I think eye jelly is like Parfait for crows!

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.229 #4 · p.229 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

sebboh wrote:
most ancient cultures regarded both ravens and crows (whichever lived by them) as unlucky and symbolic of death.

I thought that was only for crows. At least ravens are in some places thought of as embodying wisdom.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.229 #5 · p.229 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:

I thought that was only for crows. At least ravens are in some places thought of as embodying wisdom.

The collective noun for Ravens is 'unkindness'!

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.229 #6 · p.229 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:

it's difficult to determine. most cultures didn't really differentiate the two I believe. the nw native americans viewed the raven as a trickster and a deity. then of course Odin has his two ravens to bring him his morning paper.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.229 #7 · p.229 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

The Chinese, Egyptian, Greek, Semitic and Siberian legends depict the raven as a messenger of storms or bad weather. In African, Asian and European legends, the raven forecasts death. Shakespeare presents ravens as messengers or exponents of evil (like in "Julius Caesar", "Macbeth" and "Othello"), while in "Titus Andronicus" they are described as benefactors feeding abandoned children... Wait a minute! Are we still in a photo forum?!?

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:00 AM
kiankim

p.229 #8 · p.229 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Have anyone compared Canon 5D Mark II and Nikon D600 for their use with Leica R lenses? I use Cron 35mm and 90mm with 5D Mark II installed with EG-S screen currently, but better DR from D600 is tempting me to move over the Nikon side. Not mention that 2nd hand D600 have very good value nowdays.

While I use liveview occasionly, I still prefer using the viewfinder, and I am wondering if anyone have experience on using Leica R on both bodies and how their viewfinder fair with each other.

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:16 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.229 #9 · p.229 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

When the high winds blow in the alpine country, only one bird is strong enough to fly in the tempest - the Australian raven. Crows are also incredibly bright, generally regarded as the smartest birds in the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtmLVP0HvDg

I have never seen a dead one by the roadside.

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:25 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.229 #10 · p.229 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Interesting info on the 'Black Ugly' - thanks!

If memory serves sebboh holds the record for posted shots of crows, and most are excellent despite the creepy subject. Go figure, crows must be the ducks of SF or sebboh is onto something

Each Halloween I try to watch 'The Crow' or at least listen to its soundtrack. I like to come back to this flick, but no girl likes to watch it more than once. Oh well.

Few close-up test shots in preparation for an upcoming trip. Nothing exciting, but I saved them as they mark 5000 clicks on my D800E.

All WO:

Sep 19, 2013 at 03:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Worldinlens
• • •
p.229 #11 · p.229 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Don't remember posted or not posted... regarding some 50's
http://worldinlens.livejournal.com/111735.html

Sep 19, 2013 at 03:23 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.229 #12 · p.229 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks Alex.
Summicron-R 50 seems seriously usable at f/2.8 and it clearly cannot compete with much faster lenses when it comes to WO OOF 'smoothness'
IMO Nikkor 50/1.2 stands well against Summilux-R 50 E60 (at least in your test background, but from my experience it needs positional adjustment to be shown at its best) especially considering 1:10 price ratio.
However, at the end E60 takes the cake. Bummer about needed modification for DSLR, but I guess you have done this at least once, right?
Seriously, I will contact you of this forum as I am hoping to get this lens to complete my setup, unless new Zeiss 1/4/55 will stir some major ground.

PS.
Has anyone compared Summilux-R 50 E60 to MC Rokkor 58/1.2?
I believe Michael has Rokkor and earlier version or Lux 50. Any thoughts?

Sep 19, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.229 #13 · p.229 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jack, this is close test only... Here E60 sharpness maybe even less than E55 or similar. But surprises not on the close distances. On the middle distanses and infinity WO sharpness of the E60 much better, esspecially against strong light or sun. Of course, different rendering, E60 more smooth... I think it have just different curve of DOF, more hard to focusing but more smooth with different rendering. And negatives of E60 - on the middle distanses the bokeh "circles" at the corners like triangles as well as Nikon 50 1,2 for example. E55 much less this effect.

Btw, R50/2E55 maybe have no any seriuos negatives by my opinion. Very nice lens on any apertures and distanses.

My friend tried Rokkor on his A900, i have some shots... But my tip - better dream about lux E55 or E60 - they give more pleasure and positive emotions overall. Maybe i`m wrong...

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 05:22 AM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:39 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.229 #14 · p.229 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Regarding E60 modification, yes I made mine. For this moment developed all technology process and special ring design. Just need made again few rings if someone wants oneday.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:07 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.229 #15 · p.229 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
My friend tried Rokkor on his A900, i have some shots... But my tip - better dream about lux E55 or E60 - they give more pleasure and positive emotions overall. Maybe i`m wrong...

it sounds like zhangyue likes his e49 lux better than the rokkor for portraits...

for myself, i've not seen anything yet that makes me think i'd want to trade my rokkor in for an R lux. an m lux asph on the other hand...

anyway, back to ravens with the 350mm :

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:48 AM
twoeye
• •
p.229 #16 · p.229 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Great raven shots, sebboh!

To add to the mythology of the ravens, Huginn and Muninn are in Norse mythology a pair of ravens that fly all over the world, Midgard, and bring information to the god Odin.
The name Huginn meaning in old norse "thought" and Muninn "mind"

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:03 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.229 #17 · p.229 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

twoeye wrote:
Great raven shots, sebboh!

To add to the mythology of the ravens, Huginn and Muninn are in Norse mythology a pair of ravens that fly all over the world, Midgard, and bring information to the god Odin.
The name Huginn meaning in old norse "thought" and Muninn "mind"

thanks! huginn and muninn are ones i was referring to bringing Odin his morning paper, i can never remember how to spell their names.

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:12 AM
lithos

p.229 #18 · p.229 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo (and other leica r users on d800)... how do you like focusing manually with d800?
I had canon 5d II (now sold for a fuji x) with a matte viewfinder screen.
I was tempted by a sony a99 for stabilization and focus peak but images in this gallery are awesome... and I've some nice Leica R lenses too

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:35 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.229 #19 · p.229 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

JohnJ wrote:
The collective noun for Ravens is 'unkindness'!

Ha, that is amazing! Murder and unkindness I was trying yesterday to determine if a group of ravens was also called a murder, but you cannot distinguish easily between information and disinformation on the intertubes, sadly.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.229 #20 · p.229 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Gary Clennan wrote:
The Chinese, Egyptian, Greek, Semitic and Siberian legends depict the raven as a messenger of storms or bad weather. In African, Asian and European legends, the raven forecasts death. Shakespeare presents ravens as messengers or exponents of evil (like in "Julius Caesar", "Macbeth" and "Othello"), while in "Titus Andronicus" they are described as benefactors feeding abandoned children... Wait a minute! Are we still in a photo forum?!?

And in America in the 1800s, ravens were conversational partners... Ahem. Nevermore!

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password