New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              226      
       228              420       421       end

Leica R Series Lenses

p.227 #1 · p.227 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
That 35 EF is sick, actually both 35 and 55 are sick. I keep count money in my wallet with new sony EF lens....and turn around try to not thinking about them

24-70 is the one very piratical. Hopefully it is as good.

I dont think about native lenses too, maybe in far far future. We have our R-gears guys, what need else? ))

My first mind about a7/r maybe it have nice deep colors, second better resolution than mine 700

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.227 #2 · p.227 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Rich, for the stuff you do, landscape tripod and LV, I agree A7r could be your heaven It is your R digital back.
but with 35/80 lux and A7r hang around on neck chasing kids is definitely funny business.

Alex, I know what you are talking about, but their native lens are so great (Leica level great with Canikon+ price level) and SMAAALLLLL! if 24-70 perform, it will be my dream travel lens.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

p.227 #3 · p.227 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
Alex, I know what you are talking about, but their native lens are so great (Leica level great with Canikon+ price level) and SMAAALLLLL! if 24-70 perform, it will be my dream travel lens.

Do not argue, Michael! Both primes are brilliant by optics

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Roni1948
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.227 #4 · p.227 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

shute wrote:
Hi guys,

A topic of 239 pages are not a short one. I've read and enjoyed it for the past couple of weeks. I've seen many great works and brilliant thoughts here. Thanks guys for sharing.

I have a question about body, body for R lenses.

I'm now using a 50/2 and a 21-35 is on the way (exciting). I'm planning to get a 80-200/4 and if budget allows, may be a 80/1.4 as well.

You can tell I'm setting up my lens combination to R lens only. Holpfully these lens can cover most of my need.
I shoot lots of architecture, some landscape, and
...Show more

Been away from this forum for a while (honeymoon along the Cali coast - some nice pics to come)...

I originally really wanted to mount my lenses on the Sony E-mount because there was no chance the mirror would hit the back of the lenses and the adapters are plentiful. However, the lack of a mirror box makes R lenses on these mounts a little too long for my taste. With a telephoto, it becomes horribly unbalanced. However, with the 6D, since it has a huge grip, the balance is pretty much perfect. Also, leitaxing the lenses was simple, and didn't require as much modification as Nikon leitaxing. Battery life on the A7 is likely about 1/3 of the 6D. Manual focus with an optical viewfinder is an amazing experience. Can't comment on the 5DIII, D610 or D800, but they are all great as you can see by the samples on this blog. Actually, a used D700 would likely make a great body. Hope to see your pics on here soon!

Can't commend on video, as I'm no expert. The A7/A7r look to be more seriously into video, but without the AA filter on the A7r, I'm not sure how that would affect moire.

Oct 23, 2013 at 09:17 PM
shute

p.227 #5 · p.227 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks a lot for your advice guys.

Zhangyue,

Maybe I shouldn't ask everything from one body, but Nikon, even Canon seems don't put too much on video.

I think lens last much longer than bodies. So I may reasonably go for a system that require less conversion to the lens. Yet, I will wait and see what the new FM2 would be.

For 80-200, have you used that to shot kids? I may mainly use it for architectural and landscape, together with 21-35.

I think I need something like 35-70/2.8 for video recording, but the R version is too expensive. For a while I was thinking to get a Panasonic 12-35/2.8 to use with my GF1, and don't do too much video with the R lenses. But that is not idea as well, 12-35/2.8 is equivalent to 24-70/5.6 in terms of DOF, and GF1 only support 720p video.

Look at my photos, the best are still taken with R lens.
Look at my videos, the best are still taken with R lens.

MF are good for videos, on the one hand it gives full control. On the other hand, without a large monitor, it's quite hard when w/o.

Have you ever taken any video with your R lens?

Picture This

My budget is around AU$2500.
And I think I can wait for another month or two. By then, hopefully detailed review and sample photos will be around for a7*.

Worldinlens

Thanks for letting me know. That's part of the reason I went for 6D initially.

Impressive for the photo in your link. a7r +1
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/my-first-result-with-a7r_topic102199_page1.html

JaKo

Thanks. I will keep a close eye on a7r. Sony has made special treatment to the area close to the edge of the sensor, right?

Naturephoto1
Nice work! Have you ever use 80-200 hand held?

Roni1948

Thanks for sharing your experience. I used to shot with a R6, and really enjoyed its bright optical viewfinder. When I start to use GF1 I can never focus easily or just in time.

------

Impressed by some sample image of a7r, I think my next research should be: whether it provide any focusing assistant that is reliable, and when recording video. When the kid runs away, I need to refocus without breaking the recording, and it's really hard to be done on a 3 inch screen without reliable continuous assistance.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.227 #6 · p.227 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

shute – the a7r has continuous focus peaking available during video, and of course an evf, which is very helpful.

canon's actually have better video implementation (peaking, zebras, higher throughput) once you get magic lantern (except that canons don't have evfs of course).

the new nikon sounds very interesting, i'm excited to see what it actually is. the primary difficulty with nikon (and canon to a lessor extent) is that many of the R lenses will interfere with the mirror movements unless you modify portions of the lens, camera mirror, or both. not sure if this is an issue for any of the lenses you're interested in though (you should double check).

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.227 #7 · p.227 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

sebboh wrote:
shute – the a7r has continuous focus peaking available during video, and of course an evf, which is very helpful.

canon's actually have better video implementation (peaking, zebras, higher throughput) once you get magic lantern (except that canons don't have evfs of course).

the new nikon sounds very interesting, i'm excited to see what it actually is. the primary difficulty with nikon (and canon to a lessor extent) is that many of the R lenses will interfere with the mirror movements unless you modify portions of the lens, camera mirror, or both. not sure if this is an issue for any of
...Show more
I thought any lens have mirror clearance problem with Nikon, will apply to Canon as well, maybe only Sony is good at that.

Shute, sorry, I totally forget Video. I still recommend Nikon over others. but A7R will be a hard one to resist. I pre-order one, but not sure how I wan use it with my Leica R yet.
As for 80-200, the performace is very good, especially before 150mm, but if I can choose, I will get 135 zeiss or 100 APO instead of 80-200. You gain two stop speed and DOF and can crop to get the FOV with sensor have so many pixel now.....

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.227 #8 · p.227 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Michael, I can't recommend the 100 APO highly enough. One of the very best lenses I've used for portraits, close up/macro although its not 1:1 and intimate landscapes. It has such color fidelity and incredible detail.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.227 #9 · p.227 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
I thought any lens have mirror clearance problem with Nikon, will apply to Canon as well, maybe only Sony is good at that.

my memory is that nikon has some throat issues (possibly due to electrical contacts?) as well as mirror issues with some R lenses. maybe i'm misremembering though.

only sony does a good job with mirror clearance. even their FF dslrs (a900/a850) have no trouble with mirror collisions.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.227 #10 · p.227 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

w/ Elmarit R 60 macro

Oct 24, 2013 at 02:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

p.227 #11 · p.227 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

shute wrote:
Thanks a lot for your advice guys.

Zhangyue,

Maybe I shouldn't ask everything from one body, but Nikon, even Canon seems don't put too much on video.

I think lens last much longer than bodies. So I may reasonably go for a system that require less conversion to the lens. Yet, I will wait and see what the new FM2 would be.

For 80-200, have you used that to shot kids? I may mainly use it for architectural and landscape, together with 21-35.

I think I need something like 35-70/2.8 for video recording, but the R version is too expensive. For a while
...Show more

As I know for this moment there is only few "low-cost" devices for high-quality video capture

Panasonic GH2 - the old king, alternative firmware, almost any lenses

BlackMagic camera - of course uncompressed output, almost any lenses
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera

Canon 5D3 - the new (full frame) king, alternative firmware, uncompressed output, many lenses

Regarding new sony product line here
http://www.eoshd.com/content/11380/new-sony-a7-a7r-rx10-exclusive-hands-look-video-quality
Want video? RX10

Oct 24, 2013 at 02:41 PM

p.227 #12 · p.227 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Picture This! wrote:
Michael, I can't recommend the 100 APO highly enough. One of the very best lenses I've used for portraits, close up/macro although its not 1:1 and intimate landscapes. It has such color fidelity and incredible detail.

Do not forget about the V125 from other side. This unprecedented lens will be relevant as long as it falls apart into atoms from the age of

Oct 24, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.227 #13 · p.227 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

Picture This! wrote:

I love my 100 APO. it is indeed a great portrait lens too, a little heavy but at least the weight is evenly distributed. It is a great all-around les, from 1:1 (with adapter) to landscape/infinity.

Jim

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:39 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.227 #14 · p.227 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Fog rolling out.... --->

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.227 #15 · p.227 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
Do not forget about the V125 from other side. This unprecedented lens will be relevant as long as it falls apart into atoms from the age of

Not to mention Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.227 #16 · p.227 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
Fog rolling out.... --->

very nice! like the toning too.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.227 #17 · p.227 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

sebboh wrote:
very nice! like the toning too.

Thanks sebboh. Who do you think I got the toning idea from
Your images are always inspirational for me.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.227 #18 · p.227 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
Thanks sebboh. Who do you think I got the toning idea from
Your images are always inspirational for me.

ah, thanks!

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.227 #19 · p.227 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Grenache wrote:
I love my 100 APO. it is indeed a great portrait lens too, a little heavy but at least the weight is evenly distributed. It is a great all-around les, from 1:1 (with adapter) to landscape/infinity.

Jim

+1
Love my APO 100 and ElPro and it is wonderful on my D800E and easy to MF and get sharp images.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Roni1948
• •
p.227 #20 · p.227 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Anyone here going for the Otus 55? Would love to see how it compares with R's in colour and contrast (Sharpness may be no contest...)

Oct 25, 2013 at 08:54 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.