Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              207      
208
       209              325       326       end
  

Leica R Series Lenses
  
 
telyt
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.208 #1 · p.208 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses


sebboh wrote:
... summer in SF is actually the foggy(er) season and it almost never gets warmer than 70 here.


Mark Twain is credited with saying "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".



Jun 30, 2013 at 04:40 PM
zhangyue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #2 · p.208 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses


I have no idea about value of this 28mm and how it performs, if you ask me about all different cron, Lux, or even APO, I'd more than happy to share my view about their price.


Jun 30, 2013 at 04:42 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.208 #3 · p.208 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses


telyt wrote:
Mark Twain is credited with saying "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".


i have heard that. there's a bucket load of money to be made here selling sweatshirts to tourists who thought SF was warm and packed accordingly.




Jun 30, 2013 at 05:09 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #4 · p.208 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses


zhangyue wrote:
I hope anyone with experience of both 5DII and 6D or better 5DIII with 6D to chime in so that I can have a short cut?
helimat, where are you? I like what I see from your Tailand thread with Edward with 5DII. What is your opinion on 6D compare to your 5DII?


Chiming in a bit late here, but you probably aren't going to like what I say anyways. To be honest, one of the biggest differences I have noticed going from the 1D3 & 5D2 to the 5D3 & 6D is the WB accuracy. Previously I had to fine tune the colour temp on almost every image, now I rarely do, especially with the 5D3. I leave both on auto WB, and use Canon DPP almost exclusively. Disclaimer: I am far from a measurebater so small anomalies might go unnoticed.



Jun 30, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Picture This!
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #5 · p.208 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses


Nikon D800e + Leica Elmarit 100 APO macro
perhaps my most favorite lens ever !




Jul 01, 2013 at 03:40 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.208 #6 · p.208 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses


couple more with the 350mm:












Jul 01, 2013 at 04:55 AM
zhangyue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #7 · p.208 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses


Helimat, Thanks for the info. Hopefully, I will try to get it work, I don't want be a 'measurebater' either
Dereck, love the first one!
Manu, beautiful(pic) and tempting(lens) Question, when will you use 5dIII? when will you use D800E? What is decision factor and difference?

Here are two from 80-200 today with 6D.













Alex, these two pic answer your question a while ago, from what i see, the bokeh is great! But I don't remember seeing bad bokeh on tele, especially at f4



Jul 01, 2013 at 06:33 AM
christophl
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.208 #8 · p.208 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses


naturephoto1 wrote:
I was able to purchase my 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC lens in mint/mint- condition with box, case, but without the lens hood here on FM. The lens is quite good. I have it mainly for stitching of images though I may also like to use it at times for PC rise/fall or shift control. I purchased the lens for $1195 here on FM about a year ago and well before the release of the new M240 camera.

Rich


Thank You Rich!! I truly appreciate it! Now that you mentioned the price, I too think I paid about $1200 for it. Nice it hasn't devalued much. Again, Thank You!

Now back to posting your all's unbelievable photographs. So sharp and colorful....wonderful!

Chris



Jul 01, 2013 at 02:41 PM
christophl
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.208 #9 · p.208 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses


zhangyue wrote:
I have no idea about value of this 28mm and how it performs, if you ask me about all different cron, Lux, or even APO, I'd more than happy to share my view about their price.


Thank You anyway zhangyue. I appreciate it. Btw, just moved here to Chicago from Berkeley after living there 10 yrs and not thinking we'd ever move. But the economy told us different lol Enjoy the weather there, it's fantastic!

Chris



Jul 01, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Picture This!
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #10 · p.208 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses


Thanks Michael. The 100 APO is truly a gem. It has the best color fidelity of all lenses I have used.

Really like the first shot from your 80-200mm. Great tones...

Re D800e vs 5d3 -
Most of my alt lenses are f mount so they get used on the D800e. I mostly use it for landscapes, macros and pretty much whenever I need the utmost resolution, want to print big etc. The D800e puts out amazing detail.

I dont use alt lenses on canon that much. For some reason (maybe I'm just used to nikon), the manual focus experience on the D800e is much much better than the 5d3. Perhaps the 6D is a much more alt friendly camera, I dont know. I own a few canon lenses and like the 5d3 very much for people shots and the way it renders skin tones. I have the 135L and 24-105L. The 135 is an excellent portrait lens.

zhangyue wrote:
Manu, beautiful(pic) and tempting(lens) Question, when will you use 5dIII? when will you use D800E? What is decision factor and difference?




Jul 01, 2013 at 03:08 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



zhangyue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #11 · p.208 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses


Manu, thanks for the reply. I don't feel 6D is much more alt friendly camera than 5DIII for sure. Nikon's focus confirmation implementation make it very usable. But Canon, I pretty much rely on my eyes. it(confirmation) is very slow and unresponsive. The only advantage might be the focus screen. But I had that on my D700 as well.

With lens like 80-200mm, the lens performance is 2nd consideration since my challenge is make photo infocus, with decent speed to be able to capture the moment. At 80mm, I had hard time to focus, at 200mm end, I had hard time to hold camera stable and control myself don;t turn my focus ring too much one way or the other.

the past few weeks using 6D with Leica R, make me really miss my ZF that I don't need to do stop down meter, a PITA if you want slow down the lens. If I made commitment to Canon, I need ZE.

Two more 80-200 yesterday.














Jul 01, 2013 at 09:17 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #12 · p.208 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses


zhangyue wrote:
Manu, thanks for the reply. I don't feel 6D is much more alt friendly camera than 5DIII for sure. Nikon's focus confirmation implementation make it very usable. But Canon, I pretty much rely on my eyes. it(confirmation) is very slow and unresponsive. The only advantage might be the focus screen. But I had that on my D700 as well.

With lens like 80-200mm, the lens performance is 2nd consideration since my challenge is make photo infocus, with decent speed to be able to capture the moment. At 80mm, I had hard time to focus, at 200mm end, I had hard
...Show more

This is why I am still waiting for a FF mirrorless camera. Unfortunately for me the M240 had the limitation of no scrolling for the EVF. For now, I am using the Fujifilm X-E1 but with the limitation of the APS-C sensor size and a 1.5X multiplier for my Leica R lenses.

Rich



Jul 01, 2013 at 09:24 PM
zhangyue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #13 · p.208 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses


naturephoto1 wrote:
This is why I am still waiting for a FF mirrorless camera. Unfortunately for me the M240 had the limitation of no scrolling for the EVF. For now, I am using the Fujifilm X-E1 but with the limitation of the APS-C sensor size and a 1.5X multiplier for my Leica R lenses.

Rich


TBH, I won't make myself limited by that if I like all other things of M240. But I myself don't like EVF if I can avoid that plus the camera dwarfed by R lens, balance not well with high price tag doesn't offer anything extra than Canikon. I will use M240 only for rangefinder and very occasionally SLR lens to cover occasional need.

For canon, I am sure you might be able to install a screen with focus aid. I don't like that as I don;t want have another Leica M type of focus and recompose camera. It defeat my shoot pleasure of shoot it as motion capture.

I bought 80-200 having mind of landscape or still capture. So I know I am asking too much. I never realize AF can be this useful until I am after 135mm and slow lens like f4 with relatively poor designed Leica zoom's focus ring (compare their prime) that is not helping. I am sure I can improve myself on this. Just this is very new to me.




Jul 01, 2013 at 09:50 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #14 · p.208 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses


zhangyue wrote:
TBH, I won't make myself limited by that if I like all other things of M240. But I myself don't like EVF if I can avoid that plus the camera dwarfed by R lens, balance not well with high price tag doesn't offer anything extra than Canikon. I will use M240 only for rangefinder and very occasionally SLR lens to cover occasional need.

For canon, I am sure you might be able to install a screen with focus aid. I don't like that as I don;t want have another Leica M type of focus and recompose camera. It defeat my
...Show more

I really don't think that the 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar zoom focus ring is that poorly designed. I believe that it should be similar to most other 2 touch manual focus zoom lenses in this focal length range. The lens can be a bit of a handful though when hand holding. It is much better handling when mounted on a tripod especially with rotating collar mounted either to the lens or a camera adapter ring. I also believe that pretty much all manual focus 2 touch lenses in this focal length range and longer handle better on a tripod than being hand held.

By the way, I like my 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar zoom lens. I have found it to perform well and to handle well on a tripod (with my Novoflex rotating collar that fits the Novoflex Leica R to Fuji adapter.

Rich






Jul 01, 2013 at 10:04 PM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.208 #15 · p.208 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses


zhangyue wrote:
I never realize AF can be this useful until I am after 135mm and slow lens like f4 with relatively poor designed Leica zoom's focus ring (compare their prime) that is not helping. I am sure I can improve myself on this. Just this is very new to me.


This is why I shoot my M system 50mm and wider with a Canon and a 70-200 as a second, complementary camera, at least for events involving a fair amount of movement/people. The concession is that it's not Leica or Zeiss glass, but IMO a lot of the latest Canon lenses aren't that far off. In addition to AF, image stabilization is a huge, huge benefit to quick, spontaneous shooting without having to think a lot about focus. Like you, I find it very, very difficult to eyeball focus 70/80mm on a current DSLR (I'm using the 1DX). At 50mm and wider, I don't find I quite miss IS as much and while this is an entirely different topic, find RF focusing to be fast and accurate enough. I'd thought about getting into ZE lenses, but knew I'd have problems manually focusing them on the fly.



Jul 01, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Roni1948
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.208 #16 · p.208 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses


Depending on the type of scene I'm shooting, I often just switch over to live view and precisely manually focus the lens in magnification view - works perfectly every time.


Jul 02, 2013 at 02:56 PM
zhangyue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #17 · p.208 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses


rscheffler wrote:
This is why I shoot my M system 50mm and wider with a Canon and a 70-200 as a second, complementary camera, at least for events involving a fair amount of movement/people. The concession is that it's not Leica or Zeiss glass, but IMO a lot of the latest Canon lenses aren't that far off. In addition to AF, image stabilization is a huge, huge benefit to quick, spontaneous shooting without having to think a lot about focus. Like you, I find it very, very difficult to eyeball focus 70/80mm on a current DSLR (I'm using the 1DX). At 50mm
...Show more

Ron, Yes, M is great for wide to 50mm, and especially great for shooting stop down with some distance, a great system.

TBH, Canikno lens might be just as good, and user skill largely offset any advantage of Zeica if there is any especially post process skill.

One thing it will take away is the fun part of photography and in some application, AF is just not needed. Thank god I am not a pro that need bring food on table from photography, otherwise, it will be all Canikon 2.8 zoom in my bag , they make job done.

Roni1948 wrote:
Depending on the type of scene I'm shooting, I often just switch over to live view and precisely manually focus the lens in magnification view - works perfectly every time.


Yes, the key is “Depending on the type of scene I'm shooting”. Stop down meter will be a big headache. Assume we are at beach at some exotic place, you want shoot your kids or other half play around at beach with aperture at f5.6, f8, are you going to say wait there, keep that smile, let me focus LV, even focus WO and stop down aperture is very awkward

21-35mm with 6D at ISO8000








Edited on Jul 02, 2013 at 06:28 PM · View previous versions



Jul 02, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Picture This!
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #18 · p.208 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses


beautiful picture Michael.


Jul 02, 2013 at 06:21 PM
JaKo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.208 #19 · p.208 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses


zhangyue wrote: One thing it will take away is the fun part of photography and in some application, AF is just not needed. Thank god I am not a pro that need bring food on table from photography, otherwise, it will be all Canikon 2.8 zoom in my bag , they make job done.

How true!


Summicron-R 50, WO







Jul 02, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Lieutenant Z
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.208 #20 · p.208 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses


fantastic ^^^


Jul 02, 2013 at 08:16 PM
1       2       3              207      
208
       209              325       326       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              207      
208
       209              325       326       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password