Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              206      
       208              320       321       end

Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.207 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

If there is a problem that can't be handled via profiles, it would be more likely to be the sensor itself - the actual colors of the dyes used in the Bayer filter. E.g., not enough separation between colors to reconstruct a clean end result - to the extent that the sensor is mushing colors together (metamerism), then neither firmware nor the raw developer can completely recover the situation - lost information is lost forever.

Sandy

A quote from LUF, This is exact the issue I am worried for 6D's file. All those Low light performance is market crap at the expense of color separation. It will not affect regular people, or even JPEG shooter, but more serious hobbyist or professional.

In the mean time, one from yesterday

6D with 50cron WO

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:30 PM
leonasj
• •
p.207 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

dont know about.but all in all-best ever made camera for image quality at any light-D800E..still
Jon Tainton wrote:
I'd like to help out on the 6D skin tones, but I've zero experience. The only thing I can suggest - is that a change of Raw software sometimes helps with colour issues, have you tried using Canons much maligned DPP? I'll add that accurate colour rendition in more recent cameras (Sony excepted) seems to have been sacrificed on the altar of Hi Iso/low noise capability OR video capability

FWIW the M240 appears to be having some issues with AWB/skin tones too http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/283574-skin-tones-leica-request.html see the link within the link for 36 pages of 'discussion'

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:59 PM
JaKo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.207 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

1600px is not a standard; just excited about getting few rolls of scanned film, including 1/2 roll with Summicron-R 35

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:33 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.207 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Colors to die for.

Nice photo, just seems bit soft, especially for Leica lens.. If Im correct, 35mm film has somewhere around 6-16 mpix (ASA 50 or 100).. so it should be sharper?

That red is still amazing..

Jun 26, 2013 at 03:26 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.207 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba; yep, it's on a soft side for a reason.
Agree. Likewise, I am blown away by Velvia + Leica colour combination. I am sure it's nothing unusual, nevertheless, I am looking forward to more shots with this setup.

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:06 AM
paulhofseth

p.207 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Entirely unscientific judgement:

In my experience using the last Kodak Cmount full-frame (before Canon made a slightly more functional one), Kodak colours were better. Not only no slightly reddish cast, but clearer.

On the other hand, Kodaks various "styles" in their raw software made all manners of hidden tweaks, so some of the contrast and colour nuances may be credited to the software rather than to the sensor. The PS raw engine at the time did not extract the same results.

To make a proper comparison one would have to have the same colour palette exposed in the same light, which I have not done.

The camera body of the Kodak was terrible for manual focussing; dim viewfinder and not very high precision of matte-screen positioning. Close tripod based AME snaps came out unsharp.

As usual with large and partly fossilized companies, the distribution of official improved software stopped early so it was left to enthusiasts with inside information to keep supply lines open.

p.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:13 AM
Almass
• •
p.207 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Just curious to know if it is the film or the PP which makes the car red paint matt?

Cars of this period were shining with chrome all over!

Can it be your old Velvia which is giving this effect?

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:40 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.207 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

^^^ Almass, the car's paint was oddly in mat finish; dono why. You can notice front windows visor is slightly of different shade and more shinny.
No matter what, it grabbed many drivers and pedestrians attention.

PS.
Film is very recent and PP was very minimal (crop + resizing)

Jun 26, 2013 at 07:06 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.207 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Polarizers can cut reflections, but most likely wont make paint look matte. PP in theory could, just it wont be easy.

Kinda thought its out-of-focus. It doesnt matter much anyway, that pic is still good. I really should try this Velvia.

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.207 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

@zhangyue - I hope you do find a sensor that satisfies your needs for accurate colour rendition in natural lighting, it may pay to rent the cameras in order to eliminate the 'market hyped' in your quest. AFAIK the DxO metrics for colour response are the only tech data that's out there to make a call on accurate colour, it does seem to be empirically backed up by real world photographers experience though. So in the FF digicam market (Sony excepted) 'old and inferior' appears a better bet for accurate colour than 'new and improved'

Back on topic, a Green Winged Orchid in a wild flower meadow 100/2.8 AME WO

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    55mm    f/1.4    1/200s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 26, 2013 at 07:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JaKo
• • •
p.207 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba wrote: I really should try this Velvia.
Yes, VELVIA RVP100 and especially VELVIA RVP50. You may be nicely surprised once you try using them

Few shots with Leica-R on film

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:33 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.207 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Bring back to top

50lux R E48

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:22 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.207 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

One from schizophrenically magical yet sometimes ordinary Summicron 50 to make you feel calm and relaxed...

Jun 28, 2013 at 05:28 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.207 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

crop from a pano that is too large to import into LR.

this is roughly 12 images stitched together with the 350mm:

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.207 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Sebboh, that's a challenging stitching job with all the movement on the water and bridge traffic.
Did you try to import to LR as TIFF or PSD?

BTW, I thought it's always sunny in SF, but it looks more like Pacific Northwest
Oh, lastly, great thread on comparing 50mm lenses!

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.207 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
Sebboh, that's a challenging stitching job with all the movement on the water and bridge traffic.
Did you try to import to LR as TIFF or PSD?

BTW, I thought it's always sunny in SF, but it looks more like Pacific Northwest
Oh, lastly, great thread on comparing 50mm lenses!

thanks!

it's too big for PS to save as a tif actually.

don't know where you heard that it was always sunny in SF. it almost never rains, but it's always foggy (at least where i live).

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:16 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.207 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

don't know where you heard that it was always sunny in SF.
Anytime I fly over or change flights in SF it always looks great, but perhaps it was a remark for Southern California. In any event, it's still better than soggy Northwest

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:37 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.207 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
Anytime I fly over or change flights in SF it always looks great, but perhaps it was a remark for Southern California. In any event, it's still better than soggy Northwest

i don't know about vancouver but summer in seattle and portland is much nicer than summer in SF. summer in SF is actually the foggy(er) season and it almost never gets warmer than 70 here. if i want warm weather, i guess all i have to do is drive to palo alto though... it's very much about microclimates in SF and the bay area. my apartment is in perpetual fog but it's always sunny at my work (which is also in SF).

btw the bottom picture in this post was taken shortly after the stitch above.

Jun 29, 2013 at 05:32 AM
christophl

p.207 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

I know by looking at all your shots guys, I realize I'm way out of my league here! But, I have a Canon 5D, Leica 90mm Summicron R f2 Asph which I love. I also have a Leica PC Super Angulon R f2 which I never use...poor purchase on my half. I thought I'd be doing more city scapes. This is where I need some help, can you all give me a fair price to sell this for? None come up in a search. It's in perfect shape with no wear. I want to buy another Leica, perhaps a 35 or 50mm. I bought one or both, I forget, from Kit Laughlin. You guys have so many alt. lenses that I thought this would be a good area to ask. So please forgive the intrusion into these great images!

Thanks So Much
Chris

Jun 30, 2013 at 04:21 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.207 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

christophl wrote:
I know by looking at all your shots guys, I realize I'm way out of my league here! But, I have a Canon 5D, Leica 90mm Summicron R f2 Asph which I love. I also have a Leica PC Super Angulon R f2 which I never use...poor purchase on my half. I thought I'd be doing more city scapes. This is where I need some help, can you all give me a fair price to sell this for? None come up in a search. It's in perfect shape with no wear. I want to buy another Leica, perhaps a 35
...Show more

I was able to purchase my 28mm f2.8 Super Angulon PC lens in mint/mint- condition with box, case, but without the lens hood here on FM. The lens is quite good. I have it mainly for stitching of images though I may also like to use it at times for PC rise/fall or shift control. I purchased the lens for $1195 here on FM about a year ago and well before the release of the new M240 camera.

Rich

Jun 30, 2013 at 04:38 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password