Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              177      
       179              325       326       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Andrew Gough
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.178 #1 · p.178 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Samuli,

I had a lot of problems with a non name adapter and the 180mm F/2.8 APO. In the end, I bit the bullet for a Rayqual, and its bang on. What camera are you shooting?

The metabones seems to be ok with wides, but I am getting quite a bit of vignetting on the longer tele's and zooms.

Andrew

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:56 AM
phuang3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.178 #2 · p.178 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Andrew Gough wrote:
Test shots on a 28-90mm with the Metabones speedbooster
Andrew

That is cool. Speedbooster will let you have FF fov on an APS-C camera.

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:03 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.178 #3 · p.178 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Andrew Gough wrote:
Samuli,

I had a lot of problems with a non name adapter and the 180mm F/2.8 APO. In the end, I bit the bullet for a Rayqual, and its bang on. What camera are you shooting?

The metabones seems to be ok with wides, but I am getting quite a bit of vignetting on the longer tele's and zooms.

Andrew

It's understandable to have issues with large exit pupil lenses. In dpreview review they said even EF85/1.8 caused vignetting. Aperture in 85mm f/1.8 lens is 85mm/1.8=47,2mm, so no wonder 180mm f/2.8 causes issues (64,3mm aperture). For wide angle lenses it should cause no issues since for example 35mm f/1.4 lens has aperture of 25mm. Naturally things are not as simple as it may seem based on above since the exit pupil size + angle of rays coming from end of the lens is not determined only by aperture of the lens.

I think that the small lens mount puts limitations for these large aperture lenses with this kind of "reverse teleconverter", or should we call it "wideconverter". Good thing is that one can focus wide open even there is some vignetting.

I'm currently shooting with 5DmkII bodies, so I don't need this kind of adapter, but technologically very interesting component.

Samuli

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:23 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.178 #4 · p.178 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Bring this to top from 2nd pg

Andrew, those 28-90 shots are Bokehlicious. More! I wonder how it performs once slow down for Landscape type shot with SB?
Samuli, your images always give a sense of realness. perfect exposure and accurate color.

35cron R from weekend

FC is very interesting. look the Dish. f2, 1/8000. vignette is very strong under this setting. I used ND filter in LR4 to bring down the sky.

Mar 06, 2013 at 06:42 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.178 #5 · p.178 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

As we had suspected, with the introduction of the new Leica M240, that it would drive up the cost of at least some of the Leica R lenses.

Below are some current listings for the 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lenses on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vario-Elmar-R-4-2-105-280mm-Rom-f-Leica-R-/251208126941?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item3a7d2bd1dd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-R-1-4-2-105-280-mm-Vario-Elmar-R-ROM-/370771192056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5653af68f8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-R-1-4-2-105-280-mm-Vario-Elmar-R-ROM-/370771196387?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_16&hash=item5653af79e3

The first one is from the same seller that I purchased mine at the end of November that had been in M or M- condition, but 3 cam. The seller accepted my offer at the end of November for $4700 for what I remember was an asking price of $5500.

I could also post if anyone wants the listings for the 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar lenses on ebay. I was fortunate to find mine in early December in M/M- condition from Igor's Camera for $1100. The ebay prices right now range between $1550 or BO to $1899 or BO.

Obviously it is going to be a bumpy ride for some of the special and best R lenses that any of us may wish to purchase.

Rich

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:43 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.178 #6 · p.178 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

I think this is a temporary phenomenon. Especially, while generally I do not see in the new camera that will make at least think about it. IMHO

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:52 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.178 #7 · p.178 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

I guess the price up is not because of Leica M, but Leica M reminders people that there used to be a R line exist, which is high quality DSLR lens.

I do feel the price will be stay high for a while given their very limited production.

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.178 #8 · p.178 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Wow, the field curvature of that picture with the radio telescope is indeed very strange.

I think R lens prices are up a bit because of the Speedbooster, too. I know I've been browsing / bidding on much more of them lately.

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:05 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.178 #9 · p.178 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Wow, the field curvature of that picture with the radio telescope is indeed very strange.

I think R lens prices are up a bit because of the Speedbooster, too. I know I've been browsing / bidding on much more of them lately.

Me too, still trying to found 90cron and 80lux at good price. not a good time for sure. I am patient though, I don't use focal length more than 50 often.

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:55 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.178 #10 · p.178 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
I think this is a temporary phenomenon. Especially, while generally I do not see in the new camera that will make at least think about it. IMHO

My guess: when Zeiss (and others) start turning out longer high-performing APO lenses for 30,40, 50+ MP sensors, along the lines of the premium fast primes set to accompany the anticipated 55/1.4 or the new 2/135 APO, only then will we see a moderation of R prices.

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jormkwan

p.178 #11 · p.178 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

from 50 1.4r

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:23 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.178 #12 · p.178 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

f, your guess arrives in less than 12 months.

I doubt demand for Leica R is driven by much more than a belated recognition of the quality they deliver, and the special character they imbue in images, M lenses are a limit case after all, and the company put their heart into the R range as well...the adaptor/mount market has facilitated this, along with the web, and better sensors of course - blame Sony! Video demand plays a part, but prices will always rise for a limited volume of high end lenses, each year more get dropped, damaged, lost..

Makes you wonder what would have happened to CY prices if Zeiss chose to ignore the DLSR market as Leica have. The 21mm Distagon is 20 years old, and fetches the same money as the current ZE model. Several of mine cost $1000 or more. Some of the newer ZEs are great already, the 135/2, 15/2.8

Prices also come and go in shorter cycles within the long term trend, and when people realise how poor the new M is for Leica R lenses, the less well-known ones will maybe fall somewhat. Then there is the looming debt crisis as the world wakes up to crazy Keynesianism, as if austerity was ever an option.

Mar 06, 2013 at 11:25 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.178 #13 · p.178 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

R35-70/4
Alnmouth, North-East England

Mar 08, 2013 at 10:28 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.178 #14 · p.178 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Here are 4 photo that I took yesterday with my tripod mounted Fujifilm X-E1 camera as it is approaching sunset at the Lock Ridge Park (the site of an old Iron Furnace works), Alburtis, PA. All images processed in LR4.4RC. The first 2 are of the remnants of the Carpentry Shop and were taken using my Leica 35-70mm f4 Vario Elmar zoom lens. The second 2 images taken with my Leica 80-200mm f4 Vario Elmar lens.

Rich

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Ron Pfister

p.178 #15 · p.178 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Hi all,

A quick question to those of you who have experience with both the AE180/2.8 and the AT280/4: I currently have the option to buy an example of the latter model that has recently been to Solms for CLA. Compared to my AE180, I noticed that the focusing ring requires quite a lot of force to turn and seems rather 'sticky' if it hasn't been turned in about half a minute or longer. Is this normal? I should add that my AE180 focuses very smoothly and easily, allowing focusing with just one finger.

Many TIA for your input!

Best,

Ron

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Almass
• • •
p.178 #16 · p.178 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

No. It is not normal at all!

The 280/4 Apo Telyt focusing ring is more like a Power steering wheel and operates with a single finger and is miles better than the Apo 180/2.8.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.178 #17 · p.178 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

Funny you should mention that, Ron. I was using my 180/2.8vII and 250/4 yesterday and noticed the 180 requires significantly more force to turn than my 250/4. I bring it up because the 180 came back from a CLA in Solms before I bought it. I don't think the 250's ever been CLA'd (from the looks of it, it was somebody's shelf or bag queen). Maybe Solms repair feels we should be building up our wrist and finger strength.

First two with the 250 wide open, last two with the 180 wide open.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Ron Pfister

p.178 #18 · p.178 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thanks for your feedback, Almass! I thought this to be the case. Am I right that the focusing rings of both lenses use ball bearings rather than the more usual friction bearings? I should probably note that the lens in question is P/N 11263.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Ron Pfister

p.178 #19 · p.178 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

freaklikeme wrote:
Maybe Solms repair feels we should be building up our wrist and finger strength.

Perhaps this will loosen over time as the lubricant distributes? It's not a major issue. Another thing I've noticed is that the filter drawer sits quite loosely in its locked position. It has quite a bit of play and the resulting gaps would quite easily allow dust or water drops to enter the lens. IMO, this doesn't fall in line with Leica's usual standards regarding fit, finish and tolerances. I would appreciate any thoughts on this as well.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:56 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.178 #20 · p.178 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Ron Pfister wrote:
Another thing I've noticed is that the filter drawer sits quite loosely in its locked position. It has quite a bit of play and the resulting gaps would quite easily allow dust or water drops to enter the lens. IMO, this doesn't fall in line with Leica's usual standards regarding fit, finish and tolerances. I would appreciate any thoughts on this as well.

This doesn't sound quite right, either. On my 280/4, the filter drawer snaps solidly into place. It will jiggle side to side, front and back by ~0.5mm if you move it, but the felt lining between it and and lens never opens up gaps that look like dust/water leaks (there's always a downward spring force that keeps it seated against the lens). Also, the focus ring has a very light touch (a little bit stiffer than one-fingertip movable, but no sticking/tightness).

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password