Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              131      
       133              318       319       end

Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.132 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
Beer in a shotglass

Beer's optical illusion

JaKo wrote:
Well, the Earth is round not flat…
Seriously, you’re right, it has a noticeable curvature on FF; however, recent update/pre-released version of ARC 7.3.0.58 includes number of Leica-R lens profiles that ameliorate this issue. The boat shot was processed prior release of ARC 7.3.

I'm not about that. Just made ​​a small graphic sketch:

JaKo wrote:
BTW, I checked your blog and it looks like you had a chance to shoot with a large variety of Leica-R lenses. What’s your take on their colour saturation and accuracy? I am fairly new to photography and still trying to figure out if some of my Zeiss lenses over saturate colour comparing to Leica-R or Nikkor lenses.

Leica-R is enough good color rendering lenses. But serious talking about it in the digital age a bit strange Basic, good camera sensor and color correction in the converter, if needed. Modern Zeiss by my opinion has a high contrast, and not very good coating for the sunny midday shoots, much to lose colour. Although, the last regarding for most lenses in extreme lighting conditions.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM
JaKo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.132 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:

Just made ​​a small graphic sketch...

Thank you for pointing it out to me. I am checking my Leica-R images to find similar pattern.

Worldinlens wrote:

Leica-R is enough good color rendering lenses. But serious talking about it in the digital age a bit strange Basic, good camera sensor and color correction in the converter, if needed. Modern Zeiss by my opinion has a high contrast, and not very good coating for the sunny midday shoots, much to lose colour. Although, the last regarding for most lenses in extreme lighting conditions.

Comparing Summicron-R 35 and 50 lenses to Zeiss 2/35 and 2/50 shows differences in colour saturation and hue/tint; however, they are closer than their Nikon equivalents, at least the samples I have. But again, I am still in a process of learning each lens' characteristics.

Test shots below were taken and processed as close as possible.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.132 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

50mm

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.132 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

50mm

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.132 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

First test shots from V125/2.5 Apo-Lanthar with Nikon-modified Leica APO-Extender-R 2X:
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6618/49690153.2f/0_8baa7_92d1a066_orig
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6418/49690153.2f/0_8baa8_b968a884_orig
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6417/49690153.2f/0_8baa9_ac515758_orig
Summilux-R 50/1.4 E60 with Nikon-modified Leica APO-Extender-R 2X:
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6515/49690153.2f/0_8baa0_32370d22_orig
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6416/49690153.2f/0_8baa1_64bfda51_orig

Edited on Nov 24, 2012 at 03:28 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2012 at 04:42 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.132 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Woohoo, congratulations!

Nov 22, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.132 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
Woohoo, congratulations!

Thanks, buddy

Not finally, tomorrow I'll make the locking pin. But shoting possible now

Nov 22, 2012 at 05:39 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.132 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Testing out the Summilux 35 on 1Ds MkII

Wide Open

Testing Infinity (F/5.6 or F/8.0)

Wide Open

F/5.6 at Infinity

Nov 22, 2012 at 06:17 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.132 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

I have been playing with some of my old R glass on a D800E and as noted above, some of them like the 35mm Summicron have quite a bit curvature of fileld. I think it is a bit more obvious on a flat/plane sensor as opposed to the slight curve to film.

Of the older 35,50,90, Summicrons, the 50mm Summicron is still top of its class compared to the modern lenses made for digital, such as the Nikon 50mm f1.8 G lenses. Even comparing the 90mm Summicron to the 85mm f1.8 G Nikkor, the Nikkor is sharper across the field, but I think the Summicron produces more pleasant colour and tonality.

I don't have any wide Nikkors yet, but comparing the highly regarded 28mm Elmarit-R, second version with floating elements with the Leica 21-35mm zoom, the prime is probably sharper in the middle, but the zoom stays sharp out to the edges. Probably because the zoom is a more modern design. I haven't done the comparison of the 35mm Summicron to the 21-35mm using the D800E, but I tested them on film a few years back and once again the 21-35mm was the superior lens.

One hint I got from another forum was on a lens like the 28mm where there is a little curvature of field, is to focus using live view on the edge of the frame and let the DOF handle the middle. At f8, the 28mm Elmarit-R is pretty impressive on the D800E using this method. In use, for infinity scenes, I needed to focus just a hair before the infinity stop,

With all this playing around with my R lenses on the D800E, I have decided to keep just the high performers I would use for scenic work and use Nikkor AF for the rest, such as my kids sports. I have sold off my 180mm APOs (f2 and f3.4) and 90mm Summicron, the 28mm is now on Ebay and the 35mm Summicron will probably go to Ebay as well once my Nikon mount for it arrives.

The f5.6 and f8 images from the 28mm using the focus on the edge of frame method are here on skydrive as the full resolution D800E file, converted in LightRoom 4.3RC using the 28mm Elmarit profile.

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=136C4377DBE10C06&resid=136C4377DBE10C06!107&authkey=AA1vN3wD0kgBXs0

Nov 22, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.132 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

21-35 an excellent lens in the middle of the range, but bad at wide angle. For the same reason I once refused Nikon 16-35/4, range 16-20 it is very sad regarding resolution all field of frame and appear inexplicable distortion of objects additional.

Elmarit 28 one of my true favorite lenses

Nov 22, 2012 at 06:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

robsteve
• • •
p.132 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
21-35 an excellent lens in the middle of the range, but bad at wide angle. For the same reason I once refused Nikon 16-35/4, range 16-20 it is very sad regarding resolution all field of frame and appear inexplicable distortion of objects additional.

Elmarit 28 one of my true favorite lenses

My 21-35mm is pretty good in the 21mm range. I have a pretty stellar 19mm Elmarit-R that I compared it to it it fared well. I would use the 19mm on the D800E, but it would require some surgery to clear the mirror. I will probably just keep the 19mm and see how it looks on the new Leica M.

As for the 28mm Elmarit, it was one of my favorite lenses on film and the DMR. After getting the 21-35mm I sold my mint copy and started missing it. I then saw this one I now have fairly cheap on Ebay because of a broken R mount and decided to get it. With the D800E I bought a Nikon adapter for it and played around with it a bit. Once again, I decided just to stick with the 21-35mm. Somebody is going to get a deal on my 28mm. It is currently $15.50 and no reserve.

Nov 22, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.132 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Leica 19mm is really tempting.....

Some more snaps from Summilux R 35 on 1Ds MkII ...

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.132 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

We may have different criteria of "quality" wide angle lens. Before I shoted on Z18 and Z21

I tried the 21-35 and it did not impress me at wide angle. But without a doubt, this is the best wide-angle zoom from Leica. R19/2.8, yes, you need to cut to avoid hitting the mirror on a full-frame Nikon cameras at the near infinity position

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:13 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.132 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Great job on the extender Alex! You've convinced me to buy a Leica-R glass

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM
robsteve
• • •
p.132 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
We may have different criteria of "quality" wide angle lens. Before I shoted on Z18 and Z21

I tried the 21-35 and it did not impress me at wide angle. But without a doubt, this is the best wide-angle zoom from Leica. R19/2.8, yes, you need to cut to avoid hitting the mirror on a full-frame Nikon cameras at the near infinity position

I haven't had any experience with the modern Zeiss lenses. In the old style Contax SLR Zeiss, I think the Leica 19mm might have been better, with a better distortion to correct. I see Lightroom 4.3RC has lens corrections in it for the R lenses. I also have the Leica 16-21mm in the M and if I end up getting the new M or a M9, it will probably be the best solution for wide angles on a compact full frame package.

The reality of it for me is I don't tend to go as wide as 21mm on full frame and they were more useful to me when I was shooting the DMR on APS-H 1.3 crop.

Nov 23, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.132 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

rirakuma wrote:
Great job on the extender Alex! You've convinced me to buy a Leica-R glass

Thx, just finished the first extender

Edited on Nov 24, 2012 at 03:28 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.132 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

robsteve wrote:
I haven't had any experience with the modern Zeiss lenses. In the old style Contax SLR Zeiss, I think the Leica 19mm might have been better, with a better distortion to correct. I see Lightroom 4.3RC has lens corrections in it for the R lenses. I also have the Leica 16-21mm in the M and if I end up getting the new M or a M9, it will probably be the best solution for wide angles on a compact full frame package.

Super wide angle lenses for M were always one of the best. And remains to this day. This is the advantage of small working distance. There is only a problem of a very large angle incidence of rays to the extreme corners on the sensor, it is not essential for the film. But as a rule, modern sensors excellent working with this.

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:08 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.132 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
Thx, just finished the first extender

Was that a ROM extender prior to conversion? You might find the pre ROM APO ones a bit cheaper. I suspect once the new M that accepts R lenses comes out in a few months time, it will be had to find R lenses and accessories like the extenders at a reasonable price.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.132 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Now I have a two extenders: ROM and non-ROM. I needed them to understand the difference between modifications. I can say that non-ROM modify a bit easier.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:49 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.132 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

robsteve wrote:
Was that a ROM extender prior to conversion? You might find the pre ROM APO ones a bit cheaper. I suspect once the new M that accepts R lenses comes out in a few months time, it will be had to find R lenses and accessories like the extenders at a reasonable price.

Though they were not willing to commit to this, Justin Stailey of Leica USA at Photo Plus was hinting that Leica may well come out with new M mount lenses substantially longer than 135mm that would be totally redesigned to be used with the new M. Justin wasn't revealing anything as to the focal lengths or anything else. Justin suggested that there would be no reason to bring back any of the R lenses or R designs for these lenses.

Rich

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password