FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              129      
       131              357       358       end

Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.130 #1 · p.130 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Now continue on med-distance. again, my thought come after.

f2

f2.8

f4

f5.6

f8

To me, performance here are very good. it seems sharper at this distance WO. Bokeh also looks very nice here. (I think)

but to be fair, most lens will perform better at this distance too. So, again, very solid performer with no flaw.

TBC..

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:26 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.130 #2 · p.130 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Sharpness:

f2

f2.8

f4

f5.6

f8

OK! I feel incompetent to do sharpness test on D700 as this cron at f4 already out solve my D700 sensor on most of the frame if not all, I see no visible improvement after f4.

at f2, slightly haze can be seen. at f2.8, it clean up so fast that center performance close to f4 and below already with maybe 24X24 sharp frame. at f4, only extreme corner can see slightly hesitation. after f5.6, it just sharp every where. No obvious FC can be seen here.

Again, I am a little surprised for its performance improvement at f2.8 compare f2. other than that, almost all 50mm lens will do very good here. I guess it is really not a challenger design a 50mm lens perform good on D700.

I shoot all hand hold, so, condition is not optimized even though I have a very steady hand. Since I am not doing comparison here, I think the results is good for me.

TBC..

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:37 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.130 #3 · p.130 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Continue on Bokeh and focus transition test as I am more interesting in this part
All at f2 focus different pole location

You can draw yourself conclusion here. but again, at f2 close distance, the Bokeh is slightly busy to my taste. AND, to be fair, most lens will not perform good here as well. Overall, it match my impression with limit use so far. It has average Bokeh. No surprise!

TBC..

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:42 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.130 #4 · p.130 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Now, random picture to finish my short review:

f5.6 or f8 no crop

Overall, I really like this piece of classic lens. It is light and small compare to most manual 50mm lens with outstanding build quality. the focus is delight to use, the design is proper without too slow or too fast in field. Pull out hood is on the short side to my like.

The lens rendering is very neutral, not many character with it. On the other hand, it perform extremely good once you need it perform.

I can understand why people always call 50cron is best standard lens. Period! Really, it is a good photographer tool. without add anything extra between you and your subject. It is a good tool but you need decide the recipe and finish the cook

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:54 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.130 #5 · p.130 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

good review...

i can say additional, that this lens very often the choice of video-photographers too. beacose it has excellent optical quality and nice bokeh

p.s. in some sources i founded info, that movie "alien" shoted with anamorphous lens, based on the R50/2

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
aCIDfire
• •
p.130 #6 · p.130 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thank you zhangyue for this 50/2 cron review. Itīs really interesting lens and Iīve already seen many beautiful pictures from this lens especially from one FM member who took some great portraits in India. It has nice 3D pop efect more pronounced in portraits when shooting WO. Unfortunatelly for me it has rather distracting bokeh in some busy backround compared to my Nikkor 50/1.8G or newly acquired Sigma 50/1.4 but these are different beasts

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:36 PM
JimUe
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.130 #7 · p.130 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

anyone have any thoughts of the e55 50'cron vs the e55 50'lux?

I owned both plus the 50mp at the same time and thought the 50'lux while lower in contrast and saturation had the magical leica glow that made me sell the 50'cron.

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:51 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.130 #8 · p.130 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

I didn't think there was enough in the extra stop of the e55 'lux to justify the price difference over the 'cron. I also prefer the focus transition of the 'cron.

That said, I prefer the Rokkor 58/1.2 over either of them for a normal. Color-wise, it fits in nicely with the later R draw, has very gentle focus transition, and is sharper across the frame than either of them at f/2.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:14 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.130 #9 · p.130 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote: at f2.8, it clean up so fast that center performance close to f4... I see no visible improvement after f4

Thanks for sharing your observations. Well, you just confirmed what E. Puts had to say about this lens in his "Leica Compendium"
Similarly, I find it to perform the best between f/2.8-4. I used it at f/8 (LV+tripod) on D7000 and D800E and it does provide plenty of detail.
Yes, there are sharper 50mm lenses (Zeiss MP50) and lenses with more character (say, Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS) but overall Cron-R 50 is simply a great little lens and it's a joy to use. Price is a bonus as well!

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:29 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.130 #10 · p.130 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
good review...

i can say additional, that this lens very often the choice of video-photographers too. beacose it has excellent optical quality and nice bokeh

p.s. in some sources i founded info, that movie "alien" shoted with anamorphous lens, based on the R50/2

Yes, any Leica R lens will be awesome for video. They all have almost perfect handling, once you use to its feeling, it is hard to move away from it.

aCIDfire wrote:
Thank you zhangyue for this 50/2 cron review. Itīs really interesting lens and Iīve already seen many beautiful pictures from this lens especially from one FM member who took some great portraits in India. It has nice 3D pop efect more pronounced in portraits when shooting WO. Unfortunatelly for me it has rather distracting bokeh in some busy backround compared to my Nikkor 50/1.8G or newly acquired Sigma 50/1.4 but these are different beasts

Nikkor has pretty good Bokeh, I have this 50G as well. It is my only AF lens now. The color has some yellow tint, which can be easy fix but I donít use it often as I have put myself deep into MF now. Thomas have many portrait with 50corn. No wonder he use it at f2.8.
A quality I didnít cover is smooth in focus transition at close distance, and color, I feel 50cron is excellent for that as well as 35cron. Thus, I really like my portrait took with this lens. The reason I didnít say that because it is very subjective and hard to qualify.

JimUe wrote:
anyone have any thoughts of the e55 50'cron vs the e55 50'lux?

I owned both plus the 50mp at the same time and thought the 50'lux while lower in contrast and saturation had the magical leica glow that made me sell the 50'cron.

I have 50lux E48 version, by looking at picture I took so far, I feel E48 WO get about the same sharpness as 50cron WO. I havenít been able to find a time to give them a comparison yet. As I said, until I can have D800E again, doing sharpness test on D700 is a waste of time.
freaklikeme wrote:
I didn't think there was enough in the extra stop of the e55 'lux to justify the price difference over the 'cron. I also prefer the focus transition of the 'cron.
That said, I prefer the Rokkor 58/1.2 over either of them for a normal. Color-wise, it fits in nicely with the later R draw, has very gentle focus transition, and is sharper across the frame than either of them at f/2.

Well, if you need 1.4, you need 1.4
In terms of Rokkor, it is longer. I feel 50 is already longer. Without change platform, I may never be able to have it on FF. I hear the good reputation about it but not everyone like the classical Gaussian type of Bokeh. The lens is in my list whenever I decide change to C.
JaKo wrote:
Thanks for sharing your observations. Well, you just confirmed what E. Puts had to say about this lens in his "Leica Compendium"
Similarly, I find it to perform the best between f/2.8-4. I used it at f/8 (LV+tripod) on D7000 and D800E and it does provide plenty of detail.
Yes, there are sharper 50mm lenses (Zeiss MP50) and lenses with more character (say, Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS) but overall Cron-R 50 is simply a great little lens and it's a joy to use. Price is a bonus as well!

To be honest, I am not sure MP50 will be better at f2.8 compare this cron as the cron is just become so good at f2.8. I have Nikkor 1.2 as well. I like its bokeh very much and reach it whenever I need low light. Stop down is crazy sharp for that lens.

Edited on Dec 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.130 #11 · p.130 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

DocPics (occasional forum poster) has put his Nikon-Leitaxed 280/4 up for sale on the boards, if anyone's interested.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.130 #12 · p.130 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

freaklikeme wrote:
DocPics (occasional forum poster) has put his Nikon-Leitaxed 280/4 up for sale on the boards, if anyone's interested.

I hoping that found the leica-man's, who can help me with quality of 280 on near future Recently bought 280, but with scratchs on front lens, dents on the body (maybe it fallen down, i don't know)

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.130 #13 · p.130 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

E48 Cron is that oldest one?

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.130 #14 · p.130 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

Mescalamba wrote:
E48 Cron is that oldest one?

I Have change my reply. I think it is cause confusion. I have E48 50lux R.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.130 #15 · p.130 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote: To be honest, I am not sure MP50 will be better at f2.8 compare this cron as the cron is just become so good at f2.8.

You got me curious. I had a few minutes after work to grab my camera and take couple test shots with Cron-50 and MP50 at f/2.8.
Right you are! Summicron-R 50 does look sharper at 2.8 (and at f/8). I also like its colour more that MP50, at least in these shots.
Another good reason for Alt shooters to grab this lens from eBay before all the good, clean copies exceed $1000. Mind you, if I am not mistaken, Summicron-R 50 was sold as a kit lens with many Leica R4-R6 cameras so there should be plenty of them out there.

Focused point was on the horns using LV+max zoom+ 10x loupe.

Dec 19, 2012 at 01:53 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.130 #16 · p.130 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

I found 50MP is optimized at mid to close distance with much less image curvature (probably the best in its class). This may be the reason why it's not razor sharp in the center.

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Almass
• • •
p.130 #17 · p.130 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

phuang3 wrote:
I found 50MP is optimized at mid to close distance with much less image curvature (probably the best in its class). This may be the reason why it's not razor sharp in the center.

I concur.

Leica R Summicron 50/2 E55

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.130 #18 · p.130 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

[email protected]

R50/1.4E55

R50/1.4E60

R50/2.0E55

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:00 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.130 #19 · p.130 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Jako, Thanks for the comparison. Yep, that is match my assumption. I no longer have the 50mp, but by inspect image from 50cron, I am not surprised. As for MP50 not optimized infinity, that is not my feel. I feel it is equal good, I thought this has been discussed in Zeiss thread. Its only flaw is extreme corner, which can be seen on MTF. Really, it has nothing to be shamed if it has about the same sharpness at center at f2.8 with 50Cron. It is a outstanding performance.

Worldinlens, thanks for the comparison. Can't judge sharpness with this size, they looks similar. but E60 is noticeable smoother, which I noticed from recent surf its images online. E55 has strong Cat eye, my E48 might even worse for its mechanical vignette.

I dropped my camera bag with 35cron, the focus became rough now at about 0.5M. Something hold the hood to keep it not drop into the body seems loosed. I send the lens to DAG right away. I can't be without it anymore. God know how expensive this accident could be. It is my absolutely favorite lens now by review photos it took. Not only for its beautiful rendering (this could be subjective), but for its overall build, balance, focus throw, just so lovely.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Almass
• • •
p.130 #20 · p.130 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens:

Interesting comparison. Thank you.

I assume all the shots are WO. In which case, I still prefer the rendition of the Lux 50/1.4 E60 v the Lux 50/1.4 E55, specially the creamy Bokeh and the circles which are more round on the E60 while they have cat eyes shape on the E55.

What I am a bit surprised is the rather thick DoF of both Lux as I cannot achieve such DoF on my version of the E60 where my DoF is soooo shallow and thin!
Hence my redundant question as to whether all lenses were WO?

This shot with the E60 for example with focus on the tank, the DoF is extremely thin and throws all F/G and B/G OOF! I was expecting same or similar extreme DoF on your version if shot @ 1.4.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password