Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              128      
       130              318       319       end

Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.129 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
He is not always active here, so you can also look for him over on his website: http://www.wildlightphoto.com/

Carsten,

Thank you. I have known about Doug for years through this and other fora as well as my friends at Leica USA though I have never had any direct contact with him.

Rich

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.129 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

He does what most of us really should do: spend more time shooting than on the forum

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

I thought that I might post the firs of my images taken quite some time ago on film.

The first of the elk:

Photo taken hand held with Leica R4SP camera and Leica f4.0 70-210 mm Vario Elmar Zoom lens on Kodachrome 64 film.

The second of the Goshawk:

Photo of a rehabilitating Northern Goshawk taken at The Raptor Trust in Millington, NJ in 1990. Image taken with Leica R4SP camera and Leica f2.8 280mm Apo Telyt lens on Kodachrome 64 film.

The third of the pair of nesting Great Blue Herons:

Photo of a nesting pair of Great Blue Herons taken at the Venice Rookery in Venice, Florida in February of 1998. Her is on the left and him is on the right. The image was taken with Leica R7 camera and Leica f5.6 800mm Modular Apo Telyt lens on Fujichrome Provia 100 film. Special thanks to and the 800mm lens was on loan for usage from Leica Camera, USA for a month.

The forth of the male Anhinga in breeding plumage:

Photo of a male Anhinga in breeding plumage taken along the Anhinga Trail in Everglades National Park, Florida in February of 1998. The bird was down an embankment and was about 14 feet away, the closest that the 800mm lens would focus. Image taken with Leica R7 camera and Leica f5.6 800mm Modular Apo Telyt lens set to f11 on Fujichrome Provia 100 film. Special thanks to and the 800mm lens was on loan for usage from Leica Camera, USA for a month.

Rich

"Wapiti (Elk), Yellowstone National Park, 1991"

"Goshawk"

"Her-on-Him"

"Looking Toward the Heavens"

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.129 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Is this apo 280/2.8 or 4.0?

Also, is f/2.8 version not worth compared to f/4.0 version?

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:22 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

That is the 280mm f2.8 Apo Telyt. I am pretty sure looking at it that it is Version I which I have that only takes the 112mm front filters. Version II took drop in filters as well.

Rich

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.129 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

Is it any good compared to other APO 280mm versions?

And, what is a fair market used price on this lens...?

Is $3000 a fair price....?

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:34 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Paul Yi wrote:

It is an excellent lens, but it is not as good as the now very expensive 280mm f4 Apo which as I recall has 2 instead of the 1 ED glass elements found in the 280mm f2.8 Apo lenses.

Both versions of the 280mm f2.8 lenses had the same optical design. The difference being the option of the much smaller and much less expensive drop in filters.

I am not sure what is a good or fair price on this lens at this point, but will let others comment on that.

The newer and now much more expensive 280mm f4 lens is much smaller and lighter and I have been seeing listings for the lens of between about $3900+ to almost $7,000 used. It can also be found new, but I believe for about $7,300. The last of these lenses on ebay sold for $3910, $4,000, and $5,000.

Like many and smaller production R lenses the pricing on the 280mm f4 Apo lens pricing is on the rise. I believe with the impending release of the new Leica M camera scheduled for the 1st quarter of 2013 which will accept as far as I know any and all Leica R lenses ever made with the new Leica R to M adapter, prices will continue to rise.

Rich

Edited on Nov 13, 2012 at 05:52 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.129 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Thank you so much for the thorough info.....

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:10 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.129 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Tri Tran wrote:
Wow,super rare lense

Regarding the Leica 35-70mm f2.8, at one point the alternative forum here had four or five members with them. They have become quite collectible now and have been discovered by the film makers using the RED camera system.

I still have one, but didn't realize it would work on the new Canons.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:07 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.129 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Here is the 400mm F2.8 APO-Telyt plus 1.4x extender on the D800E. I haven't adapted the lens, but adapting the 1.4x extender was pretty easy. This is my dog Bea in action and I was lucky enough to get three frames in focus in a row. I just looked at the exif and there is only one second difference in time between the first and last shot.

Here is a picture of the rig. Excuse the poor quality, as it was shot with my cellphone.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

robsteve
• • •
p.129 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

Paul Yi wrote:

Paul:

Ebay is your best source for pricing. Like mentioned a few posts up, the new M may have already started driving up the prices of R lenses.

I have had two or three of these over the years and paid from $2,500 to $2,700 in near mint condition, with case and filter. They are a nice lens, but but unless you need the Leica R mount, you can probably get similar quality with a newer Tamron 300mm f2.8 in AF for about the same price.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:22 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Here are some more photos taken on film with the Leica f5.6 800mm Modular Apo Telyt 800mm lens (Special thanks to Leica Camera, USA for the loan of the lens for a month) from 1998 taken with a Leica R7 on film.

The first image of the Snowy Egret:

Photo of a Snowy Egret taken in early morning, Everglades National Park, Flamingo, Florida in February of 1998. The image was taken with Leica R7 camera and Leica f5.6 800mm Modular Apo Telyt lens on Fujichrome Astia 100 film.

The second image of the Pied Billed Grebe:

Photo of of a Pied Billed Grebe taken in Golden Hour approaching or in sunset light, Everglades National Park, Flamingo, Florida in February of 1998. The image was taken with Leica R7 camera and Leica f5.6 800mm Modular Apo Telyt lens on Fujichrome Provia 100 film.

The third image of the Great Blue Heron:

Photo of a Great Blue Heron in breeding plumage taken in Everglades National Park, Flamingo, Florida in February of 1998. Image taken with Leica R7 camera and Leica f5.6 800mm Modular Apo Telyt lens with Leica 1.4X Apo Extender (effective 1120mm) on either Fujichrome Provia 100 or Astia 100 film.

The forth image of the Least Bittern:

Photo taken of a Least Bittern (I believe a female) taken in Everglades National Park, Flamingo, Florida in February of 1998. The Bittern is supporting itself with only 1 leg on a single reed indicating how small and light they are. The image was taken with Leica R7 camera and Leica f5.6 800mm Modular Apo Telyt lens with Leica 1.4X Apo Extender (effective 1120mm) on Fujichrome Provia 100 film.

Rich

"Yellow Slippers"

"Mirror Image"

"Great Blue Heron"

"Least Bittern"

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:21 PM
telyt
• • •
p.129 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
He does what most of us really should do: spend more time shooting than on the forum

Guilty as charged! I spent some time last weekend at the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge where wintering waterfowl are gathering.

first three Snow Geese and the Red-tailed Hawk were made with the 280mm f/4 APO + 2x APO-Extender-R, fourth Snow Goose was made with the 560mm f/6.8 Novoflex Telyt, and the Cattle Egret was made with the 280mm f/4 APO. All on a shoulder stock with the R8 with DMR.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:59 PM
telyt
• • •
p.129 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

One more, a couple of weeks ago south of Sacramento along Woodbridge Road (a famous Sandhill Crane hangout).

R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Novoflex Telyt

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Having read through the thread I know that there have been many asking about the 24mm f2.8 Elmarit lens. I have owned mine (like many other of my R lenses since the mid to late 80's) since about 1986. I have no images to demonstrate the lens digitally, however, I will post the three images below shot on film. All have been able to be blown up digitally to 30" in size and all were shot on Fujichrome Velvia 50 film.

The first image of Grand Teton National Park:

Photo taken in Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming taken mid morning in June? of 1991 on my way back to Jackson Hole Airport from Yellowstone NP. Photo taken with Leica R4SP camera and Leica 24mm f2.8 Elmarit lens hand held with elbow on knee to support camera on Fujichrome Velvia 50 film.

The second image of Columbine flowers:

Photo taken between gusts of wind on the Aspen side of the Holy Cross Mountains (in the background) near Woody Creek, Colorado at about 2:30 PM in August of 1996. For this image I needed as much depth of field and as high a shutter speed as possible and I took the photo and prayed. The photo was taken with a focusing rail mounted Leica R7 camera and Leica f2.8 24mm Elmarit lens set at f22 on Fujichrome Velvia 50 film.

The third image of the Aspens:

Photo taken at the Maroon Bells, outside of Aspen Colorado at about 11:30 AM in August of 1996. Image taken while lying on my back with my tripod straddling my chest and the camera and lens pointing straight up looking from the forest floor toward the top of the Aspen Grove. Photo taken with Leica R7 camera and Leica f2.8 24mm Elmarit lens set at f22 on Fujichrome Velvia 50 film.

Rich

"Reflection, Grand Tetons"

"Kissing The Cloud"

"Reaching for the Sky"

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:19 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.129 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

Paul Yi wrote:

I bought mine for a little under $2500 and traded it for an Elmarit-M 24/2.8 (NM, non-6 bit, which goes for about $2500). I wouldn't pay any more for it, but it's an excellent lens, Paul.

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:15 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
I have no photos to post at this point. But, I hope that I have not made an error. I have had one of the original 280 f2.8 Apo Telyt lenses since 1986 that developed fungus some years ago. Leica Germany was able to clean out the fungus and they indicated that I should notice little or no loss of performance. I would have loved to have purchased one of the newer 280mm f4 Apo lenses but they are not readily available and have become extremely costly at this point. I was fortunate in 1998 that Leica USA loaned me
...Show more

Unfortunately, this morning I received a relatively inexpensive Lumix camera from the seller of the Leica 350mm f4.8 lens. To add insult to injury, the lens that I just purchase from the seller on ebay (who has 666 positive and 100% sales reports) is on a truck to be delivered to presumably the person who was to receive the camera. Very very disappointing to say the least on this.

I have a quick release plate coming from RRS for the lens. Maybe this is all an omen that I should just keep the 280mm f2.8 Apo lens that I have, refuse the 350mm f4.8 lens (chain of custody has been broken), and to wait things out for an 280mm f4.0 Apo Telyt to become available. Then I should keep the QR plate (which fits both the 350mm and the 280mm f4.0 Apo lens) and to then get the UV filter at a later time.

Also, maybe under these circumstances I should get one of the 35-70mm Vario Elmar f4.0 zoom lenses with the macro modes even with the issue of the rotating front elements that would make using polarizers and grad filters inconvenient. For those with the have the Kyocera made 35-70mm Vario Elmar f4.0 lens how difficult is it to focus and zoom followed by adjusting either a polarizing filter and/or a grad filter?

Rich

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:38 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.129 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
Also, maybe under these circumstances I should get one of the 35-70mm Vario Elmar f4.0 zoom lenses with the macro modes even with the issue of the rotating front elements that would make using polarizers and grad filters inconvenient. For those with the have the Kyocera made 35-70mm Vario Elmar f4.0 lens how difficult is it to focus and zoom followed by adjusting either a polarizing filter and/or a grad filter?

Rich

Actually, the biggest problem with using polarizers or screw in NDs is that the front element is recessed at the wide end. Leica and B+W made circ pols specifically for the lens with thick rings so you can operate them when the lens is at 35mm.

Can't help you with the ease of operation, though. I wouldn't use a circ pol on it and I just hand-hold NDs.

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:41 AM
Ajay C
• • •
p.129 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

Rich, which QR plate are you using?

Been a while since I've been around these parts. Some with the Telyt 280/4. Some handshake in the first one.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

freaklikeme wrote:
Actually, the biggest problem with using polarizers or screw in NDs is that the front element is recessed at the wide end. Leica and B+W made circ pols specifically for the lens with thick rings so you can operate them when the lens is at 35mm.

Can't help you with the ease of operation, though. I wouldn't use a circ pol on it and I just hand-hold NDs.

Thanks for the information. I have one of the lenses coming in E++/M- condition. I will have to look at the lens. I have an old Leica 60mm Circular Polarizer which is quite deep that may work if I decide to use it for the lens.

I also saw that ManWearPants had indicated that he had modified a 67mm adapter to use the Cokin P system with the lens. I have sent him a PM asking about this. I hope that he will respond and provide me with information about what he did so that he could use the Cokin P filters.

Rich Nelridge

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:16 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password